Jordan Rechsteiner - Level 1

Cannon

gallery_9552_18_411.jpg

The GripBoard Proudly Certifies:

Jordan Rechsteiner

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 1

This certification is granted by The GripBoard as an independent third party with no ethical or commercial conflict of interest.

The Mash Monster Gripper is one of a limited number supplied and controlled by The GripBoard.

The gripper is closed with one hand under strict and uniformly ethical and authenticated conditions.

This momentous feat was demonstrated on video to assure it will be valid for posterity.

gallery_9552_1257_124416.png

Jordan mashes the GripBoard Mash Monster Gripper - Level 1

Official Mash Monster Video

Mash Monster Profile

Height: 6'10"

Weight: 206lbs

Date of Feat: April 20. 2012

Witness: Eric Milfeld

How Long Grip Training

5 years

Current Grip Training Program

My own program.

Other Training Info

Jiu-Jitsu/MMA, ultra-marathon running, and working with my hands my whole life.

gallery_9552_1257_126256.png

Jordan Rechsteiner, the 77th man in the world to close the Mash Monster Gripper - Level 1.

Back to the Mash Monsters Main

Could you tell us a little about your background in lifting?

I did weights and conditioning for 3 years in highschool. I trained weights in the Marines mostly for endurance instead of strength training, although I did get 23 pullups a few times wearing all my combat gear in Iraq. I have done very serious strength training and reached my all time heaviest in 2009 with a weight of 232lbs.

How did you get into grip training?

In 2006 I was doing brazilian jiu-jitsu and MMA. While working at the gym, this ripped up guy mentioned he trained his hands and grip with grippers from Ironmind. He said he could do a #1 CoC and I assumed that was great judging by the size of him. Anyway he said I should start out with a "sport". That ended up being too easy for me to close so I ordered a #1 and closed that straight out of the package, and from there I was hooked.

You are now a GripBoard Mash Monster, what would you recommend to those aspiring to close this gripper?

My advice is to train smart always warm up first and do plenty of prehab/rehab to minimize the effect of injuries you will get. Joining GB and IM forum were some of the best things I have ever done because it puts you in a sea of knowledgable gripper guys who can help you with advice and technique. My other bit of advice is don't take what someone else says or does work for them and try to duplicate it or think that it will work the same for you. Experiment around with different techniques and routines until you find what works best for your goals. You will be glad you did. Make sure to get plenty of rest as well. Another thing I see that holds people back who are new is they feel too nervous to post a video closing whatever gripper they can close. Hey, we all started somewhere and we all progress at a different pace, post a video and you will be welcomed with friendly advice if you want some, from veterans of grippers that will really help your game out.

What does your current grip routine look like?

It varies. I like to constantly be moving forward in my training. I am persuing both the MM series and the Ironmind series so I work on a challenge gripper or one that I cannot yet close or can only barely close and slowly and progressively work towards the CCS with progressively larger and larger homemade wooden blocks. This is to say I start with a 20mm block and then get the 30mm and then the 40 and the 45mm. For me the 45mm is a swing distance and if I can get the 45mm I can get the 54mm that is called for in the CCS. I also do lots of choker work on a new gripper and consider myself an expert on training with them. I do set training with heavier grippers than I can close to build up the strength to more easily set the grippers I am doing in order to maximize the quality of my workouts by focusing my energy on solid closes. For myself, I find that weighted dips and walking dumbell lunges works wonders for the grip and for setting and as a bonus these exercises boost your testosterone levels.

How has your grip routine changed since you first started training your grip?

Oh yes, it changes every 3 weeks or so as I get stronger I get closer to my potential and therefore need to adjust to break a plateau or barrier.

What are your favorite grip exercises?

Progressive choker work, beyond the range training, reps, and progressive block setting.

What kind of starting routine would you recommend for a trainee new to grip training?

I wouldn't, because I would have to know them personally and get an understanding of their goals and abilities before I ever tried to tell them what would work for them. If someone asks me for help I will give it to them and usually I will make some videos with specific things that address their goals and current physical abilities. There is no routine that will work for all goals and all people.

Who do you most admire in gripdom?

Wow so many names come to mind. Paul Knight, Eric Milfeld, Ben Edwards, Tim Struse, Laine Snook, Adam Glass, David Horne, Elizabeth Horne, Adriane Blewitt, Magnus Samuelson, David Morton, and several others.

If you were to start over again with your grip training, what would you do differently?

I would have joined the GB and the Forums 6 years ago and would be closing much higher grippers than I currently am.

What do you believe is the most difficult grip exercise?

For me the TNS has always been hard. Any kind of setting is hard because I don't have strong thumbs yet and my thumb wall needs work if it is going to hold bigger and bigger grippers.

What are some of your personal bests in grip exercises?

3 reps with a CoC #3.5 rated at 166lbs in a parallel set or slightly wider.

What do you believe is the most common mistake made by new grip trainees?

Assuming that they will certify the CoC #4 in a year. That or thinking that what worked for somebody else will work for them in the same way.

What do you consider to be the greatest grip feats of all time?

That is hard to say. The #4 certification is up there as is the millenium dumbell lift.

Do you have any parting advice for readers?

It is not how good you are, how large or small your hands are, or how much muscle mass you have. It is about how bad you want it.

Very nice. Congrats Jordan. I think you hold the title of tallest mash monster ever.

Congrats again Jordan and thanks for the shout out buddy! You will get that #4 cert.

Good job man!

Very nice. Congrats Jordan. I think you hold the title of tallest mash monster ever.

What's Chad Woodall, 6'9"?

Edit: just looked, Chad is 6'8".

Edited by daniel reinard

I was going to say it was either me or Chad as the tallest, but he has some serious muscle mass on me. I need to add some more muscle mass and I've started to go back to the gym. I think increased muscle mass will help with reducing my injuries during training as well. I've got a ways to go to get to the MM7 now but it is a start.

-Jordan

I'm pretty close to being the tallest too.

How tall are you Ben? 6'4" perhaps?

I'm pretty close to being the tallest too.

How tall are you Ben? 6'4" perhaps?

I'm being a smartass! I'm 5'10". :grin:

Congrats Jordan! And nice write up!

I am tall too! I am 5'7" !!! Haha

Btw when u did those 23 pull ups how much did the combat gear weigh?

Btw when u did those 23 pull ups how much did the combat gear weigh?

Two extra large Sapi plates (bulletproof plates)=35lbs

Kevlar helmet=8lbs

Rifle (M16 model a4) + bandolieer (7 magazines full of rounds) 15lbs?

MPB (multi-purpose bayonet) 1 lb

I don't think I did it with my camelback or my bag of drinking water

And my boots 6lbs

This totals 65lbs by my estimation and that is the number the guys in my battalion came up with as well. Without the gear in a few days I did 41 pullups with more in the tank. Right now I am doing pullups with 35lbs in my backback and the number that I am doing is not nearly as glamorous. I follow the major armstrong pullup workout which is the best I've ever seen to pass the bar and continue to make gains.

Very impressive Jordan. I may have to give this a go...I could probably get 30lbs for 1 or 2, but 65 is very impressive.

Have you seen Hannibal for King on Youtube? Talk about some crazy pullups ...WOW

Betting he has some serious gripper potential.

Very impressive Jordan. I may have to give this a go...I could probably get 30lbs for 1 or 2, but 65 is very impressive.

Have you seen Hannibal for King on Youtube? Talk about some crazy pullups ...WOW

Betting he has some serious gripper potential.

I know the "Bar-Brothers" are pretty insane for pullup workouts on youtube. Only briefly looked at their stuff. I can tell you the exact workout I follow if you like.

I'd like to see if I could break the Marine Corps recruit pullup record someday and get 77 pullups (weight free of course).