3 Event Total (gripper/pinch/axle)

AdamTGlass

climber511

You guys see it as a prestige title not a seperate class? Or is that just for lower weight class elites, not the unlimited elites?

From my post above "Now that weight classes are being implemented I look at this weight class Elite thing "now" as just a prestige thing - something to shoot for as a competitor - about like Power Lifting has (and they have it for all weight classes)."

Kind of both now Danial. It remains to be seen how using the different weight classes will affect the top or Elite guys and competition numbers. A big issue with the Elite guys before was that smaller people didn't feel they ever had a chance against the monsters - thus Elite was a way to push those guys into their own class and hopefully attract more people into trying the sport. What will become of the old Elite - Novice etc areas with the introduction of weight classes - my two cents is that those will go away now but that remains to be seen of course.

In the lighter classes I don't foresee any 800# totals any time soon so it's just something to shoot for for them - at least for now. It's always a good thing to have a carrot dangling out there to aim at I think.

Not sure what's up with the bold and reg type???

Cannon

You guys see it as a prestige title not a seperate class? Or is that just for lower weight class elites, not the unlimited elites?

I see it this way for the lighter classes.

I commented above that I would not want to be forced to class-up just because I achieved the elite total in a lower class. I only bring this up based on some comments in a previous thread on trying to establish "elite" totals for the lighter classes.

I'm actually not sure any other numbers need to be established. If we just keep one master list separated by class where the total was achieved, the strong will rise to the top of the list for each class. It will be pretty apparent what a "good" or "elite" number is for each class. I feel this can be totally independent from having 800+ guys compete against each other.

And, any actual establishment of lighter class totals should probably ultimately be left to the Collective, or NAGS organisers at minimum. I'm just interested in the topic.

andurniat

It's just another goal to shoot for. Since we've been tracking totals for these lifts, I thought 900# in a single comp is achievable. How about the 1000# barrier, yes it will be done and I feel this is a great thing for each weight class to continue encouraging maximum effort.

daniel reinard

Thank you everyone for the responses.

From my post above "Now that weight classes are being implemented I look at this weight class Elite thing "now" as just a prestige thing - something to shoot for as a competitor - about like Power Lifting has (and they have it for all weight classes)."

Kind of both now Danial. It remains to be seen how using the different weight classes will affect the top or Elite guys and competition numbers. A big issue with the Elite guys before was that smaller people didn't feel they ever had a chance against the monsters - thus Elite was a way to push those guys into their own class and hopefully attract more people into trying the sport. What will become of the old Elite - Novice etc areas with the introduction of weight classes - my two cents is that those will go away now but that remains to be seen of course.

In the lighter classes I don't foresee any 800# totals any time soon so it's just something to shoot for for them - at least for now. It's always a good thing to have a carrot dangling out there to aim at I think.

Not sure what's up with the bold and reg type???

chris, if the novice, open, elite classes were to go away where will the elites go, down into the general classes with everyone else?

And the 800 elite class carrot, I am after that. All my goals are for that. It's disheartening to think that goal may disappear before I can achieve it.

I realize this is all just talk and such. I'm simply curious and I appreciate your replies.

daniel reinard

I see it this way for the lighter classes.

I commented above that I would not want to be forced to class-up just because I achieved the elite total in a lower class. I only bring this up based on some comments in a previous thread on trying to establish "elite" totals for the lighter classes.

I'm actually not sure any other numbers need to be established. If we just keep one master list separated by class where the total was achieved, the strong will rise to the top of the list for each class. It will be pretty apparent what a "good" or "elite" number is for each class. I feel this can be totally independent from having 800+ guys compete against each other.

And, any actual establishment of lighter class totals should probably ultimately be left to the Collective, or NAGS organisers at minimum. I'm just interested in the topic.

Same here Matt, i'm just interested too. I agree wholey with the thoughts you have above. I was thinking the same thing.

daniel reinard

It's just another goal to shoot for. Since we've been tracking totals for these lifts, I thought 900# in a single comp is achievable. How about the 1000# barrier, yes it will be done and I feel this is a great thing for each weight class to continue encouraging maximum effort.

I agree. To have prestigeous numbers to chase would be good for all classes. I am really after the 800, and I'd like to try to do it as a 93kg competitor. I see that as the ultimate number to chase, regardless of weight. To be able to compete directly against the best is the best of things. Once there maybe the next step would be the Arnold stage with the best of the best. For now it's that elite class 800.

climber511

I agree. To have prestigeous numbers to chase would be good for all classes. I am really after the 800, and I'd like to try to do it as a 93kg competitor. I see that as the ultimate number to chase, regardless of weight. To be able to compete directly against the best is the best of things. Once there maybe the next step would be the Arnold stage with the best of the best. For now it's that elite class 800.

But with the introduction of a very light 59K class for example - 800 seems like a stretch for them. The 120+ - 120 - 105 K classes have all done it so far - and they are knocking on the next level already. I have no doubt a 93 guy will hit it before too long. Just having the one number to chase kind of leaves out many people or at least may not be "reasonable"? And if I already had an 800 total - might it not be nice to have the next step already out there? Danial - I love the way you set your goals but I imagine you set intermediate ones of 750 - 775 - then 800? I know that's how I have mine set. I want 750 at this meet - 775 by this date etc. I for one in no way want to take away or lessen the challenge of achieving "Elite" status. If a 105 hits 900 - should the 120 and 120+ number actually end up being higher over time? I view Elite as a sort of moving target over the next decade or so. By then we may have an 83 doing 800 and a big guy doing 1000 or more for example. Don't know it all this is making any sense - it's all a work in progress in my head right now.

daniel reinard

I'm thinking two things Chris. One is keep the 800 elite class as it stands for true elites to pit against eachother. And the other is as Matt mentioned, to have "elite" numbers for each weight class that are more of a title than anything, not a class. And maybe in time the individual weight classes might be split into 93kg and 93kg pro or something, but i'm not holding my breathe to see that soon. You're right, a 59kg person to hit 800 would be insane. Possible, yes, but crazy to fathom at the moment. But let's say the 59kg "elite" number is 600, it should be a title but not a new class. And no way can a 59kg 600# lifter compete with a 120kg 800#+ lifter. Now, I do believe that if someone reaches "elite" for their weight class they should step up and compete at the next weight class level.

As far as setting goals I set individual lift goals, say 175, 225, 400. So if I hit one I can focus more on the weaker ones. But if I do a comp I know i'm not ready for to hit 800 i'll still have an expectation on improvement, or where I should be at the moment. Light weight people can shoot to hit "elite" at their level then step up to the next weight class and try to hit that "elite" number, eventually up to the real elite class.

climber511

I'm at 777# if we use a choked gripper number instead of MMS.

Cannon

And no way can a 59kg 600# lifter compete with a 120kg 800#+ lifter. Now, I do believe that if someone reaches "elite" for their weight class they should step up and compete at the next weight class level.

This is what I feel would be unfortunate. That the mindset that a person should "step up."

Does this apply to any other sport? Powerlifting or Olympic lifting or anything..?

It's just a very odd notion to me that if you're strong in your class you should be expected to go be mediocre in the next class.

Matt Brouse

And no way can a 59kg 600# lifter compete with a 120kg 800#+ lifter. Now, I do believe that if someone reaches "elite" for their weight class they should step up and compete at the next weight class level.

This is what I feel would be unfortunate. That the mindset that a person should "step up."

Does this apply to any other sport? Powerlifting or Olympic lifting or anything..?

It's just a very odd notion to me that if you're strong in your class you should be expected to go be mediocre in the next class.

Your top end guys will dabble in it in armwrestling, but there isn't any kind of "culture" to support it. Some guys will dabble in it in strongman, but mostly for contests they consider "training" meets.

climber511

RAW MEN'S POWERLIFTING CLASSIFICATION CHART

Wt. Class 114 123 132 148 165 181 198 220 242 275 275+

ELITE 904 984 1059 1185 1298 1396 1471 1551 1607 1654 1728

MASTER 850 904 974 1087 1190 1279 1354 1476 1518 1518 1594

CLASS I 750 810 871 979 1068 1148 1209 1279 1321 1359 1420

CLASS II 661 712 768 858 937 1012 1068 1125 1162 1199 1251

CLASS III 571 623 670 754 820 881 932 984 1017 1045 1087

CLASS IV 502 543 586 656 712 768 810 853 890 914 951

The formatting might be screwy but something like this would give goals to shoot for perhaps

daniel reinard

Your top end guys will dabble in it in armwrestling, but there isn't any kind of "culture" to support it. Some guys will dabble in it in strongman, but mostly for contests they consider "training" meets.

boxers, fighters etc do this too. The top guys who are cleaning the class will move around a bit to seek competition. That's what most of us seek, not a bunch of 1st plce trophies. I feel it's the same sporty thought process in all sports. Especially as a fan we like. to see players reach out for domination, underdog matches, etc. No one is ever expected to move up but people like to see iteverywhere.

Mikael Siversson

The 'moving-up' thing is creating an awful lot of extra work in maintaining top20/50 lists. A new top result in eg the 83k class mean I have to change most if not all classes above it.