How Long Did It Take You To Close The #3?

xpin2winx

ive been gripper/grip training for a little over 2 months now. I can almost close the #2.5. Im expecting to close the #3 in a couple more months but i dont know if the jump from a 2.5 to a 3 will keep me at bay for a while.

Edited by xpin2winx

Everyone is different. I think the most important thing is to experiment in training to find out what techniques work best for you. Once you figure that out, the gains will come quicker.

Edited by Chez

for the people saying 2-1/2 years. Was that serious grip training or just every now and then just through them in a once or twice a week?

ive been gripper/grip training for a little over 2 months now. I can almost close the #2.5. Im expecting to close the #3 in a couple more months but i dont know if the jump from a 2.5 to a 3 will keep me at bay for a while.

that is pretty impressive to be closing the 2.5 that fast. you obviously had a good base. as for me, it took a year to close the 2. gonna be at least that long or more to get the 3. just keep training, tinkering, and listen to your body. an injury will obviously slow you down.

I will take you longer to go from the 2.5 to the 3 than it took to go from the 2 to the 2.5

My beginning progress was similar to you. I think it took me 2 months to do the 2.5.

From there it was another 10 months to get to a 3.

My peak closing hasn’t changed since then (last October) but my wide sets and tns is getting better.

I will take you longer to go from the 2.5 to the 3 than it took to go from the 2 to the 2.5

My beginning progress was similar to you. I think it took me 2 months to do the 2.5.

From there it was another 10 months to get to a 3.

My peak closing hasn’t changed since then (last October) but my wide sets and tns is getting better.

this is exactly what i was thinking.

Going by CCS, I could barely close a #1 last summer. Was able to close a #2 around Nov/Dec of last year. Was at about a #2.5 MMS last month. Haven't tried CCS with the 2.5, as I'm training for the Tactical Strength Challenge at the moment. But hope to be able to regularly CCS the 2.5 in another couple months. I'm hoping to maintain small, steady, injury free gains on my way to the #3.

7 months of extremely off and on training. Having said that, it took 18 months to close a 3.5 with a 20mm block yet I still can't CCS a #3. CCS will probably be a multi year battle to bring up to speed.

• Like 1

I think it took me six months to get the #2 (112 pounds), and then only an additional three months to get the #3 (143 pounds).

It took me about 2 years of training, but there were no "in between" level grippers when I was going for certification, so I had to be a little bit innovative with my training. I found strapholds to be very helpful, but I used them sparingly.

I can't really remember, I got a T and 1 first and then a few weeks later got a 2 and a 3. I closed the 2 right off and then the 3 a few weeks later.

5 weeks MMS with my right. Not sure how long with the left.

i got intrested in grip and grip training jan 2011, and closed the coc 3 in david hornes garden after the 1st leg of the wsh, but i had been doing body strength training for many years, and had many manual labour jobs also so i think that has helped, so it took me about 8 months from the first time i had put a gripper in my hand.

For me it was 2-1/2 years of dedicated training and hard work. Anywhere from 2 to 5 workouts per week depending on my plan at the time. I rarely missed a workout.

all i remember now is that i closed the 2 right away and the 3.5 nine months later...forgot about the 3...maybe 5 months perhaps 6?

Less than a month from getting my first grippers.

Took me about 6 months from buying my first CoC gripper (#1) to close the #3 MMS, but my progress has slowed notably since i first closed the #3 due to a lack of regular training, and the start of a natural plateau as i reach the limit of what i can do on natural ability and background strength.

Edited by patrickmeniru

I was on and off closing for 4 years before I read up on any real technique. I knew what a CCS was but my set was nothing a serious grip guy would ever do. At the time I was doing 7-8 reps with the #2 CCS and had never closed a #2.5 with any kind of set. After joining the IM forum I did the #2.5 in a month and the #3 a few months later. I'd say it depends on several factors: your age, hand size, physical strength, prior history of hand use, technique/training, and your determination. However, even if your hands are 7 inches and you weigh 149lbs soaking wet don't think that you can't close a #3, you can. You just may have to work at it harder than other guys.

-Jordan

The Super Duty Iron Man gripper by Mr. Tetting went down pretty quickly, and within weeks of getting the Ironmind #3 it was getting shut on a regular basis with my 7 singles training program. I had done for years before many thick bar deadlifts and piles of "no thumb" reverse curls. In the 70's(74-79) I had a seated plate loaded gripper next to my desk that I did two handed but with my fingers and thumbs held straight in a modified pinch/ crush motion. I actually did long sets of 50 and 100 reps with a 100lbs of plates with my goal of a total 1000 reps each day. NOT such a good idea rep wise but information was pretty thin back then and motivation high. The web between my thumb and first finger was peaked and split like a bicep gone bad.lol fun days! R Sorin