28 April 2012, Movement Minneapolis Grip Decathlon Iii (duality)

AdamTGlass

The 3rd Grip Decathlon will be 28 April 2012 at the Plymouth Location.

Events

- Calibrated Torsion Spring Grippers, Parallel Set. Gripper event will be BOTH hands, Right and Left. 4 attempts for each hand. Score will be combined total lbs. *Possible I will adjust to be grippers with setting block*

- Two hand Pinch on adjustable European apparatus, 4 attempts. RISING BAR

- One hand pinch lift on adjustable European apparatus, 3 attempts Left/3 attempts right. Pinch score will be combined L+R. RISING BAR

- Overhand axle DL on Ironmind Apollo Axle - 4 attempts. RISING BAR

- One hand axle DL, 3 attempts Left/ 3 attempts right. OHADL will be scored Left + Right. RISING BAR

- World of Grip "Blobtop" griptopz (tentative) -- provided my blob top arrives in time, we will give it a test run. 4 attempts. If it has not arrived we will do GT stub lift. RISING BAR

- Strongergrip plateau buster one hand lift, 4 attempts. RISING BAR

- Griptopz Rim Lift, 4 attempts. RISING BAR

- Griptopz Hub lift, 4 attempts. RISING BAR

- Medley. 50 point medley is being designed. 6 minute time limit.

Weight classes

This one is trickier. First thing, all competitors will be weighed in according to established NAGSA rules for documentation. My intention to have 5-9 competitors per class. To this end, I will split classes along widest divisions. While I would certainly like to feature 73/83/93/105/120 classes, there will not be that many people. Show up ready to lift, and don't worry about who you're lifting against. Specific for the lighter guys- There "should" be enough guys for the first cut off at 83kg. As always I will establish the fairest classes to provide the best possible event for you guys.

Show time: 1000 for weigh in and warm ups. First event will begin at 10:45 and we will push.

This will be a longer contest. Please do not ask me if we will be done by 2 PM. No we will not :-)

flight system:

Each class will be provided a chance to tackle grippers first thing, then decide if they want axle or pinch first. From there the events will be slightly staggered so that we are running all three platforms. I should have more GT loading pins in, so that each top has its own pin and horizontal standard. The only true bottle neck is the 2HP. Plan for that is to run people by width, regardless of weight using rising bar. This may mean you are effectively doing two events at once....it will all be smooth.

Scoring: Best score is 1,000 points per class. Review the scoring system on www.gripsport.org if you have questions. The system rewards winning the event, so make sure you get in more time on the dumb hand (lefty) for the single hand lifts. I feel this approach will break up the results better and allow the stronger athletes to shine.

MISC: No support equipment during the contest with the following exceptions- back belt allowed for all axle lifts, Plateau buster lift, and medley attempt. Movement Minneapolis will provide chalk, please do not bring your own type. Please bring CLEAN CLOTHING for the event. If anyone shows up wearing dirty shoes/shorts/shirts you will be asked to change before you can compete.

A few have asked- yes your children are welcome to come provided you are comfortable with them being in the space. Each contest we have several people who do, they are always fine. As a reminder the radio is on, and big boy language tends to happen with both good and bad lifts.

I will have water bottles on hand. Post contest we will chow at Dickies (located 1.2 miles West of the location)

Medley: out of 50 points, some things to expect to see: Qualifying events for US Nationals (Inch lift to lockout, Blob lift to lock out, #3 MMS, VHG L13 MMS, DHWD L5, 1" V bar 325, 2" V bar 200, 2HP 200, 325 DO AX DL. Hex head one and two hand lifts. lifts with fatgripz, grip4orce, 3" bars, saxon bars, bottom up lifts with KBs, nail to bend (60D in wraps) plate pinching, block weight loading, some odd lifts (dinnies, bear hug, flat disc lift) and some hammers.

As a reminder- if you know you are lifting in the contest you are welcome to visit the gym on each Saturday mornings at 10Am to practice various events, regardless of membership. This is a free gift for competing athletes. This does not need to be scheduled, just bring your self out.

Sponsors: TBA

More info will be posted shortly. Events are tentative, depending on known list of attendees we may adjust them according to demand.

If you think you are going to be here, please indicate so here for planning purposes. If you are not sure, put yourself down anyways. Better to over prepare then under :-)

Awesome.

Guys, come out if you can! These Decathlons are fun, brutal, and very rewarding. You're almost guaranteed a contest PR because there is so much going on you can't have a bad day across the board.

Each one runs smoother than the next and Adam has been fitting them into a similar time span as a regular contest.

Come and see what you're made of! :D. And bring a friend.

you know, everyone in Minneapolis claims to have a friend who is stronger, bigger, faster than me. I wish this nation of supermen would show up and wup me in a contest.

• Like 1

you know, everyone in Minneapolis claims to have a friend who is stronger, bigger, faster than me. I wish this nation of supermen would show up and wup me in a contest.

excuse me. this nation of supermen does show up (me).. and still cant beat you.. ohhhh i hope that blobtop comes in time.

excuse me. this nation of supermen does show up (me).. and still cant beat you.. ohhhh i hope that blobtop comes in time.

You are legit bad ass. I am more interested in the 40-50 people who in the last 12 months have described their brother/cousin/coworker/neighbor who is always the same qualities "oh you know, 6'4", 275 lbs, he bench presses 500, he runs a 40 in 4.2, and has 22 inch biceps" When I ask them to give me this Hulk Hogan clone's contact info, they never can seem to remember it. Apparently the city of Minneapolis has an underground metropolis of super humans. I want them to also come out.

As I reflect on that, you are in fact 6'5", 295, with 20 inch arms. I do suppose 1 is better than 0.

You are legit bad ass. I am more interested in the 40-50 people who in the last 12 months have described their brother/cousin/coworker/neighbor who is always the same qualities "oh you know, 6'4", 275 lbs, he bench presses 500, he runs a 40 in 4.2, and has 22 inch biceps" When I ask them to give me this Hulk Hogan clone's contact info, they never can seem to remember it. Apparently the city of Minneapolis has an underground metropolis of super humans. I want them to also come out.

As I reflect on that, you are in fact 6'5", 295, with 20 inch arms. I do suppose 1 is better than 0.

ha.. i get that stuff all the time too. everybody!!! has a cousin my size but bigger. I do wonder why the legion of minneapolis supermen dont show though. Its a good friggin time damnit. I do think some people are intimidated with the thinking that we are going to be super competitive with them or catty or something. nothing could be further from the truth people. Come out and have fun with us. we will help you get stronger and in turn your life will be better. Guaranteed.

I am 6'3" for historical purposes :) and weighed 303 this morning but 301 at work today. darn poops.

i will be there to ccompete , in the open division against the closest clone of superman atg and the beast that is chris mathison i competeing for #3 , i coming from boston so please all you blow hard that live in mn show up and compete , the problem with you spoil ass mn people is your ego are to big and you take people like adam for granted, theres no better movement coach anywhere as good as him . there is some strong ass people in his gym there lucky , just hangin with adam you get stronger , i am thinking of moving to pylmouth to train purpose . matter of fact i give anyone that takes 3rd place from me 100 dollars , the trophy are nasty and i want another one 100 bucks if you bet me out of #3 place so all you big tough guys drop your suitcase and compete so let see all you quote un quote grip guys show up.

• Like 1

i will be there to ccompete , in the open division against the closest clone of superman atg and the beast that is chris mathison i competeing for #3 , i coming from boston so please all you blow hard that live in mn show up and compete , the problem with you spoil ass mn people is your ego are to big and you take people like adam for granted, theres no better movement coach anywhere as good as him . there is some strong ass people in his gym there lucky , just hangin with adam you get stronger , i am thinking of moving to pylmouth to train purpose . matter of fact i give anyone that takes 3rd place from me 100 dollars , the trophy are nasty and i want another one 100 bucks if you bet me out of #3 place so all you big tough guys drop your suitcase and compete so let see all you quote un quote grip guys show up.

really glad your coming sir

Wish I could attend this one Adam! Really enjoyed the set up of the other Grip Decathlon last year. The 10-event format is truly remarkable. And it really rewards the competitors who are somewhat in shape - due to the fast pace of the contest.

This next contest will be an even better test of who has the strongest and most enduring grip since it features both hands being tested.

I think if my right hand could close grippers still I'd do pretty well at the contest. Even my weak pinch would be counteracted by my Plateau Buster pulls.

I'm really going to try my best to make this contest it looks really fun and challanging, but I can't promise anything. Also If people don't want to compete against Adam I understand. And thats why I made this.

Austin

adam glass demotivational

Austin it will be great to have you back out man!

I noticed that you put up a rule that One must bring clean clothing / shoes etc. Has this been a problem in the past?

I noticed that you put up a rule that One must bring clean clothing / shoes etc. Has this been a problem in the past?

Rich it rarely is a bad idea to be very clear with expectations

Why only 3 attempts in the 1HP Adam? The 1HP records list is sparsely populated by NA competitors and having 3 rather than 4 attempts will not help.

It's just to help the decathlon move faster and make people get aggressive with openers.

It's just to help the decathlon move faster and make people get aggressive with openers.

Like how Adam opened, at the last meet, with a 182 gripper... Mathison and I look at each other... :shifty

No need to start gently

In the 2006 Australian Grip Championship my opener in the 25mm LGC vbar lift was 160k (352lb) at a bodyweight of 85k. I you are experienced enough, opening high is rarely a problem (never bombed out).

Edited by Mikael Siversson

In the 2006 Australian Grip Championship my opener in the 25mm LGC vbar lift was 160k (352lb) at a bodyweight of 85k. I you are experienced enough, opening high is rarely a problem (never bombed out).

the only event where I feel that I suffer is 2HP without warm up. Grippers and Axle go best for me within 2-3 lefts. Oddly my 1HP seems to be ok without the same degree of warm up compared to 2.

Well I do plenty of warm-up for pinch lifting in competition. When I set the new WR in the 1HP (83k class) I did the following warm-up

2HP - 40k x3

2HP - 50k x3

2HP - 60k x3

2HP - 70k x3

2HP - 80k x2

1HP - 40k x1

1HP - 41.5k x1

1HP - 43x1

I opened with 43.2k

the only event where I feel that I suffer is 2HP without warm up. Grippers and Axle go best for me within 2-3 lefts. Oddly my 1HP seems to be ok without the same degree of warm up compared to 2.

Edited by Mikael Siversson
  • Like 1

Due to several requests- I will feature the Ironmind Crushed to Dust challenge in the Medley. The format will be first you will given a chance to complete the challenge, then you will be given your attempt on the medley. I ordered the new kit today, be prepared to lift on a brand new RT, Hub, and COC2.

I also picked up the Silver Bullet. In the event the Blobtop is not able to get here (shipping via DHL can be slower) we will use the Silver bullet. There will be a brand new COC3 for the event, so make sure you are ready.

Please let me know if you have any questions