The Road To Closing The Coc # 3.5

gm1swm

Hey all, I'm in the US Navy and currently deployed. While deployed, I have made it a quest to close the CoC #3.5.

With me, I have the CoC's #1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, and 4. I also have a BBSM and BBGM, both with 5/8" handles.

I also have a few IMTUGs and the GHP Secret Weapon.

I have been able to occasionally close the CoC #3 from a CCS but not consistently. I train twice per week. One workout consists of heavy negatives on the Secret Weapon on Tuesdays and the other is a pinch grip/hand thickening workout.

My first workout this past Tuesday was:

10 reps at 130 lbs. on the secret weapon (couldn't hold shut at all)

10 reps at 115 lbs. on the secret weapon

3x5 reps with CoC#2 (NO SET)

If any of you can suggest anything along the way, let me know!!!

Good luck in reaching your goal. Do you plan on certifying on the COC #3 and COC #3.5 along the way? Not sure how close you are on the COC #3.5 but I think getting a in between gap gripper really helps make the jump to the 3.5. BBE is usually pretty good for that.

Edited by Chez

The BBE is rated at 300 lbs., right???

ya, that's the manufacturer rating but in grip sport and on this board people use RGC (Red Neck grip calibrator) ratings. This is where someone puts a strap at the last inch of the gripper and hangs weight until the handles close. A #3 is around 150lbs usually and A BBE now a days comes in around 164lbs while a #3.5 comes in around mid 170s (like 175 or 176). These are just averages though as grippers vary so one #3 can be noticeably harder than another. I just borrowed someone's #3 and it was def easier than mine.

Hey all, I'm in the US Navy and currently deployed. While deployed, I have made it a quest to close the CoC #3.5.

With me, I have the CoC's #1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, and 4. I also have a BBSM and BBGM, both with 5/8" handles.

I also have a few IMTUGs and the GHP Secret Weapon.

I have been able to occasionally close the CoC #3 from a CCS but not consistently. I train twice per week. One workout consists of heavy negatives on the Secret Weapon on Tuesdays and the other is a pinch grip/hand thickening workout.

My first workout this past Tuesday was:

10 reps at 130 lbs. on the secret weapon (couldn't hold shut at all)

10 reps at 115 lbs. on the secret weapon

3x5 reps with CoC#2 (NO SET)

If any of you can suggest anything along the way, let me know!!!

Wanna give props to anyone serving are country :rock Luck on your goal of closing the #3.5 and will help anyway I can

Thanks, Big T!!!

Here's my biggest issue as of now!

I've stalled making any gains on the secret weapon. I can no longer close the CoC #3.

My hands don't feel stale, but maybe I need a break.

Any thoughts?

Should I rest and hopefully come back stronger? Or should I switch to grippers for awhile and then transition back to the secret weapon?

I rarely do negatives. I just don't like them. I hear a lot of people say that you can easily overdo it with negatives and get hurt. Your hands are probably fried from them. I would take a day or two off and switch to grippers.

I filed down my #2.5 and #3 last night.

I think I'm going to change to this routine starting next week:

Warm-up - CoC #1.5, 1x5, CoC #2 - 1x3

Work sets - BBGM w/ 5/8" handles - 1x3, CoC#2.5 - 2x5, CoC#2 - 3x8

Any changes to volume?

I agree with Chez. I have gotten negatives to be helpful but only when transitioning to a new and harder gripper. The hands need to be conditioned. For myself, I find that breaking a new gripper into a series of phases works well for me. I might start with negatives, but usually I start a new harder gripper with some choker work: I put a large washer or hoseclamp around the handles to narrow the ROM or range of motion. This makes the gripper easier to get more leverage in the set because I can place it higher in my palm while still allowing me to experience the full force of the gripper when the handles do touch. Doing this preceeds the deep set. The deep set preceeds the parallel, and all the distances inbetween until I reach the CCS distance of 54mm. After that, its reps with that gripper at a CCS distance then when I feel very confident with that gripper I wash rinse, and repeat the process. Everyone progresses at a different level so don't put too many demands on what you should or shouldn't be able to do. Listen to your body and don't be afraid to rest up lots. I say this because you are very advanced already and you will naturally start to slow down as you get closer to your potential. That is what has been happening to me lately: I've had to increase rest time as well as tiger balm on my elbows ha ha. I hope that model helps; its what has worked for me but more importantly you need to tinker around and find out what works for you best. My advice with the secret weapon is take a break from that and incorporate that into your game only once every 3rd workout and see how that does for you. It sounds like it might be causing more harm than good. Hope that helps.

-Jordan

Edited by Jordan Rechsteiner

Thanks Jordan!!

I revamped my training, cutting down from training twice per week to only training every Saturday evening.

I took out the secret weapon and went to MMS reps. My workout from last night looked like this:

CoC#2.5 (filed handles) - 3x2

BBGM w/ 5/8" handles - 4x2

BBSM w/ 5/8" handles - 4x5

BBSM w/ 5/8" handles - 1 x 30 sec hold

I seem to get much more out of doing quality reps with the grippers as opposed to heavy negatives.

Training with filed grippers really has helped me to develop tremendous crushing strength with that last inch or so.

I think I'm going to do some choker work with a filed #3 next week.

Besides IMTUGs, what exercise or tool will help develop the hypothenar eminence muscles or the ring and pinky muscles???

Training tonight will go as such:

Warm-up:

CoC#1.5 - 2x5

CoC#2 - 1x2

Work sets:

CoC#2.5 5/8" handles - 3x2

BBGM 5/8" handles - 4x3

CoC#3 choked to parallel - 5x1

BBSM 5/8" handles - 5x7

BBSM 5/8" static hold - greater than 30 seconds

Cooldown:

Ironmind Green Egg light squeeze - 1x100