Not Making Weight!

iamsean11

Hey everyone.

So I am going to the Massachusetts tournament this Saturday, and I was planning to compete in the 198 class, but I am 199.5 tonight, and I am worried I will not make weight.

Should I keep cutting hard to get into it so I am at the top of the weight class, or not diet these last few days and keep the carbs up and just do the 90+kg class?

Thanks guys.

Sean

You can drop 2 pounds no prob. Dont drink much before weigh in and make sure you arnt full of crap.

You can drop 2 pounds no prob. Dont drink much before weigh in and make sure you arnt full of crap.

Is it worth the cutting and loss of energy compared to fresh and up a weight class?

BTW, I am so excited!!!!! it is my first one, and I have been working really hard for it.

sean

Cool guys. I will go for it.

I hope to get some video too, so I will post how I do.

Sean

Good luck Sean. I look forward to seeing your vid. I'm trying to keep my weight stable for grip nationals this summer. I'm right around the max for the 120 kg class.

You should find out if there is a 5lb clothing allowance. I know alot of tournaments have this and if there is one you will be fine at your current weight and will not have to worry about doing anything special to make weight. Wish you the best on your first tournament,

IMO, carrying weight that won't help you win a competition is not wise. read this great blog post about this topic. (these are not my words and i am not saying you were lazy, the post is very pertinent to your question)

For instance, if you're competing 235 and sitting on something around 20% bodyfat, you're doing yourself a (bad word filter)ing disservice if you're competing at 242 because you're too (bad word filter)ing lazy to diet a bit. That extra bodyfat is doing nothing but holding you back from greatness, as you could ostensibly be crushing shit at 220, or dominating everyone and looking ridiculous (Chinese Olympic weightlifting style) at 198.

http://chaosandpain....-or-not-to.html

obviously there is more to armwrestling than lean muscle mass but that is certainly one factor in the equation.

losing that 1.5 pounds shouldn't be a big deal. i would recommend weighing yourself on at least 3 scales to give yourself a good idea of what you really need to lose. remember, carbs and sodium make you retain water. losing water weight is the quickest and simplest way to lose a few pounds. eat nothing but lean meat and leafy greens the few days before weigh in. have a bunch of coffee several hours before weigh in to assure a nice dump. then eat several bananas and water right after weigh in. good luck.

Edited by bubba29

You should find out if there is a 5lb clothing allowance. I know alot of tournaments have this and if there is one you will be fine at your current weight and will not have to worry about doing anything special to make weight. Wish you the best on your first tournament,

Thanks, I am hoping to have an awesome time! Also, thanks for the information about clothing allowance. I called the guy in charge but he was unavailable, so I guess I will just show up. I am feeling good though because I was under this afternoon, and I am not eating until the tourney weigh-in.

IMO, carrying weight that won't help you win a competition is not wise. read this great blog post about this topic. (these are not my words and i am not saying you were lazy, the post is very pertinent to your question) For instance, if you're competing 235 and sitting on something around 20% bodyfat, you're doing yourself a (bad word filter)ing disservice if you're competing at 242 because you're too (bad word filter)ing lazy to diet a bit. That extra bodyfat is doing nothing but holding you back from greatness, as you could ostensibly be crushing shit at 220, or dominating everyone and looking ridiculous (Chinese Olympic weightlifting style) at 198. http://chaosandpain....-or-not-to.html obviously there is more to armwrestling than lean muscle mass but that is certainly one factor in the equation. losing that 1.5 pounds shouldn't be a big deal. i would recommend weighing yourself on at least 3 scales to give yourself a good idea of what you really need to lose. remember, carbs and sodium make you retain water. losing water weight is the quickest and simplest way to lose a few pounds. eat nothing but lean meat and leafy greens the few days before weigh in. have a bunch of coffee several hours before weigh in to assure a nice dump. then eat several bananas and water right after weigh in. good luck.

I don't have much fat on me, maybe 8 percent if that. I was very lean throughout my rock climbing days, and I have remained relatively thin while gaining muscle. I could maybe lose 5-6 pounds if I tried really hard, but I am already in beach shape. :laugh

I will be pounding coffee and some serious carbs after my weigh-in. I am super burnt out for this week of exams and I will be sleeping like a baby tonight.

I will take video and let you all know how I do!

Thanks everyone.

Sean