2012 March - Durniat's Strength Day - bubba29

bubba29

So yesterday I made the 45 minute trek from home down to Andrew's gym in Wooster, Ohio. It was the second time I have been to his mecca of physical culture. It really is a playground for serious strength athletes. Sure it has the classic "power" racks most serious gyms have. How many gyms though have large ball handles on the rack to make a simple pull up a grip work out? How many racks have you seen with Rolling Thunder pull up handles? There are 130 + pound fat handle circus dumbells, an inch dumbell, a strongman log, a yoke, and atlas stones of many sizes. There is even a whole other area with machines that may appeal to a whole different crowd. It's just a damn well equipped gym although I think I may have missed the "cardio theater". Where was that?

Some of the most accomplished names in the hand strength world were there. So I will now name drop:

Andrew Durniat

Paul Knight

Chris Rice

Chez Ricchezza

Malcolm Majesky

Nic Rosendaul

Brandon Gerber

Matt Massaro

Other guys there who are lesser known in the grip world but still DAMN strong were Jake Reynolds are Joe Costa.

Besides obviously having strong hands everyone is also strong all over. Paul and Chez were repping 225 on the bench almost like it was nothing. Andrew, Joe, Matt, Jake and Malcolm were throwing really heavy logs and axles above their heads with ease. It was damn inspiring to watch. Many of them also were doing atlas stone lifts outside as I left. Nick mangled more horseshoes than a Clydesdale. I got to mess around with some things I have never tried before. I was happy to get a 44 kg KB over my head after never touching one over 32. I got to be humbled by the yoke and log. I hope to be able to practice these again with lighter weight.

Back to what I learned from the day:

1) My journey toward strength is way behind others.

2) Most strong guys wanna help everyone get stronger

3) Paul taught me how to set with my off arm rather than just my off hand.

4) Brandon taught me to choke down and really wrap the V Bar

5) Chris taught me to pinch thumb to middle finger instead of thumb to pointer finger

6) Joe taught me to push out on the yoke side bars to stabilize it and create a shelf with your traps

7) Chez taught me how to bend a steel bar

8) The new RT handle is definitely harder than the old one

I had a great time and feel I got better that day. Thanx to all.

Sound's like it was an Awesome Event. As much as You can Learn off Forum's there is No Substitute for One On One Training at Event's like this.

Awesome write up!

Can you talk more about what you learned about setting from PK3?

don't use the off hand to squeeze into the set. rather than curl the first knuckle of the pointer finger of the off hand around the finger side of the gripper,move down two knuckles closer to the palm and use the whole hand and strength of the arm to push the gripper into the set.

i hope you can understand that but wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't. it is hard to articulate onto a message board.

Edited by bubba29

It was really nice training with you again Chuck. I was just "spotting" (basically standing around) Paul as he toyed with 225. I hope I see you again at Nationals in June. Have you qualified for that competition?

It was really nice training with you again Chuck. I was just "spotting" (basically standing around) Paul as he toyed with 225. I hope I see you again at Nationals in June. Have you qualified for that competition?

yes, i qualified. not sure what weight class i will compete in. not sure what classes they will have to be honest. i would probably be better off cutting but i don't know what my strength would be like. never had to cut before.

These get togethers are always a great time! I think I like them more than any contest I ever do. :laugh

Awesome write up! Can you talk more about what you learned about setting from PK3?
don't use the off hand to squeeze into the set. rather than curl the first knuckle of the pointer finger of the off hand around the finger side of the gripper,move down two knuckles closer to the palm and use the whole hand and strength of the arm to push the gripper into the set. i hope you can understand that but wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't. it is hard to articulate onto a message board.

That makes sense. This is what I learned to do as well. I wasn't sure if there was anything else. Thanks!

Andrew's place has all the cool toys!

I got to try carrying a "Yoke" for the first time - pretty fun at the lighter weights - but it gets heavy real quick with 180 pound jumps in weight :). Oh I'm not real good at it either. Joe Costa was running down to the fence and back with stuff I could barely move with - guy is seriously strong!

My reverse bending strength is way down - not doing it for a couple years doesn't help much I guess.

I pinched something like 222 at 4 different widths. And I missed 232/233 by like a half an inch at 3 different widths - that was frustrating!

I held myself for just a second trying a rafter pullup - Brendon was just knocking them out!

Getting together with other strength guys is FUN!

Everywhere you looked people were doing different things - it was great. I took a piece of Goodman Steel 3/8" x 8 3/8" (same specs as a Gold Nail from IM) and Paul melted it - He was talking about how much he had lost not bending for a while - didn't look too weak to me!

I got to try carrying a "Yoke" for the first time - pretty fun at the lighter weights - but it gets heavy real quick with 180 pound jumps in weight :). Oh I'm not real good at it either. Joe Costa was running down to the fence and back with stuff I could barely move with - guy is seriously strong!

My reverse bending strength is way down - not doing it for a couple years doesn't help much I guess.

I pinched something like 222 at 4 different widths. And I missed 232/233 by like a half an inch at 3 different widths - that was frustrating!

I held myself for just a second trying a rafter pullup - Brendon was just knocking them out!

Everywhere you looked people were doing different things - it was great. I took a piece of Goodman Steel 3/8" x 8 3/8" (same specs as a Gold Nail from IM) and Paul melted it - He was talking about how much he had lost not bending for a while - didn't look too weak to me!

would have loved to have seen the rafter pull ups. that is something i would like to be able to do. brandon has the perfect combination of high pinch strength and lower body weight.

would have loved to have seen the rafter pull ups. that is something i would like to be able to do. brandon has the perfect combination of high pinch strength and lower body weight.

your wish is my command ...

Come on - more video!!!

Awesome rafter Pinch Brandon.

WOW, thx for posting this Paul. Ninja Warrior type strength there.

Haha that was my immediate thought. I actually found this board through a grip obsession that started with finding out last year that they were doing an American Sasuke. Find out in the next two weeks if my video got me in for the Miami preliminary trials.

Oh btw - Hi, Im Dan.

Haha that was my immediate thought. I actually found this board through a grip obsession that started with finding out last year that they were doing an American Sasuke. Find out in the next two weeks if my video got me in for the Miami preliminary trials.

Oh btw - Hi, Im Dan.

Welcome Dan. Maybe you could start a thread about the grip related stuff you do for Ninja Warrior training. I would like to see that. Also, how about your audition video?

Oh btw - Hi, Im Dan.

Welcome Dan. Maybe you could start a thread about the grip related stuff you do for Ninja Warrior training. I would like to see that. Also, how about your audition video?

Sure, Ill put something up tomorrow, Im sure you guys can weigh in on it. Ill see if I can find my link to the video. My gf handled the whole thing so she has the file but i think its on a private youtube channel.

Is anyone else here tying to compete?

Edited by milktruck

I love watching Ninja warrior but I'm way to bulky to ever be good at it.

Thanks guys! It was an awesome day saw alot of strong stuff and was able to bend my first horseshoe thanks to nick! Need to still practice my reverse bending. Hope to see you guys again at nationals