Top Arm Wrestling Exericse

Broly

If you could only pick one exercise other than actual arm wrestling, what would it be?

For me it would have to be, Towel Wrist Curls.

I would have to give it some more thought but I once asked myself this same question

and from years of experience I came up with any movement that locks your arm into a

neutral position (starting/setup). From that position perform static holds. This could be

from a chinning bar, hammer curl DB, moving at the hips but not moving the arm position

if you know what I mean. This very same position could also be used from different wrist/

hand/finger positions as well. The arm is static. The upper body as a whole is dynamic. Dynamic

coming from the hinging at the hips/waist. The dynamic part could be used for back-pressure, losing

position back to neutral position for reps, neutral position to winning position for reps, etc.

Just think of movements specific to AW'ing and then break them down into component parts. Figure

out what parts you're weak at and work those parts. All can be done from this one position! So whatever

you want to call this movement/position would be my favorite exercise!

If you think about this positioning it's optimal when it comes to winning at AW'ing! According to

the SAID Principle your body adapts specifically to the stresses one places upon their body. That

specifically also means movement specific. Your body will get stronger (adaptation) from the positions

you train from.

Under the SAID principle it's also important to keep in mind that one's body cannot adapt to stresses

BEYOND one's ability to recover properly. This is the SECRET in AW'ing!!!

If one can figure out (through a detailed training journal) the balance between their training and recovery

they are then on their way to success in AW'ing.

Hope this helps!!!

Very good thoughts, Joe. A very important thing, maybe the most important at AW is, to be strong in the middle of the table at the starting position. This is where you need to be dominant.

Very good thoughts, Joe. A very important thing, maybe the most important at AW is, to be strong in the middle of the table at the starting position. This is where you need to be dominant.

Thanks very much Florian!

My post comes from years of experience in the sport and the tons of information I

got from many great pullers from all over the world.

Seems to me that training from the set-up to winning position or at least advantageous positions

is crucial. One thing I neglected during my competitive years was training static positions. Huge mistake

on my part. You can actually get stronger from static holds than from dynamic movements. Balancing out

a portion of both is crucial to success IMO.

Another very important thing I learned early on from Big Al Turner (Godfather of Arm Wrestling) was the value

of getting the fingers STRONG. Even though this is how I initially got started into grippers, it was the wrong choice

for strengthening the fingers. Not much carry-over to the table. Isolated finger training is optimal IMO of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Thick-Bar Chin Up Lock/Negative would be the best in my view. Count how many seconds you can keep your chin touching the bar with your hands similar to an arm wrestling "start" at the table. Then see how long you can keep your face touching bar. Then see how long you can hold on until you hit bottom.

These are good also because unlike arm wrestling and most arm wrestling exercises, they won't grind your elbows.

Edited by G-Man

Rather than a specific exercrise, I've found Devon's idea of moving a locked arm/position through a ROM is what's worked best for me but again a very distance second to pulling. Prior to finding a group to regularly practice with, I'd been doing this with bands on my table and just posting straight back (lock arm and put tri on pad). When I started pulling with the group many commented that I already had a lot of backpressure. Take it for what it's worth..

Also of note, straight arm pressdowns eliminated the stabbing pain I got in my mid/upper back when hooking. I think this was more fixing a weakness though than a super secret AW exercise but an AW told me about it and it's night and day difference.

• Like 1

Also of note, straight arm pressdowns eliminated the stabbing pain I got in my mid/upper back when hooking. I think this was more fixing a weakness though than a super secret AW exercise but an AW told me about it and it's night and day difference.

I don't understand what exercises you mean. Could you describe it easier for me or do you have a video?

I don't understand what exercises you mean. Could you describe it easier for me or do you have a video?

I don't let my arms come back up as high. I keep mine about sternum level but you get the idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_7B2jwGyAU

I'm a little curious as to why you had pain in your mid/upper back while hooking. Do you know why?

No idea, there was no previous injury and nothing else made it hurt. On a similiar note, although I haven't done them in quite some time, whenever I do bent over barbell rows, I get a burning (like somebody dumped a hot coal down my back) sensation on my lower traps. When I was in college and much younger and more hard-headed, I just worked through it. Well, when I was done I had these little purple lines all over my upper back and my girlfriend at the time wanted an explanation :grin:

I'm a little curious as to why you had pain in your mid/upper back while hooking. Do you know why?

I'm no expert, but my guess is probably "crappy scapular movement".

This Article has some insight on how scapular movement can be crappy, mid-upper back musculatura is usually not developed proportionately (upper traps strong, lower traps weak), etc. It's a good read. http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/pushups_face_pulls_and_shrugs

Thanks for posting the video, Josh!

• 1 month later...

Thick-Bar Chin Up Lock/Negative would be the best in my view. Count how many seconds you can keep your chin touching the bar with your hands similar to an arm wrestling "start" at the table. Then see how long you can keep your face touching bar. Then see how long you can hold on until you hit bottom.

These are good also because unlike arm wrestling and most arm wrestling exercises, they won't grind your elbows.

This is impossible because my face is too long to have my chin close to the bar, hahaha Jk!

Not an armwrestler, but I just tried these and liked them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQC2yzlXg8g

They are really easy on the elbows (though mine cracked at the end, should've warmed up) so I'll probably start incorporating these to my chinning workouts, thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

With a little heavier weight ...

There's a series on YouTube where Travis Bagent describes an ingenious training style. Do the negative pull-up or chin up hold and then keep adding weight. So as you get more tired and fatigued, you are holding a heavier weight, but for less time.

From all of the armwrestling specific exercises that I started practicing not so long ago :D the table curl is probably the one I benefit the most currently.

Pull-Up Lock-Negative 420 (BW 260 + 160) x 4 seconds

This is not part of my training at all - just wanted to see how long I could hold 16 pounds over the world record for a pull-up.

• 4 months later...

Is great exercise !!!!!!!!!!!!

Been doing much more sledge hammer deadlifts for my back pressure. Great static exercise that really blows up the wrist and forearms. Practicing with a strong buddy of mine that loves the hook and hates the top roll. We'll see how effective this movement is now.

• 5 months later...

what about those peg boards you climb in the wrestlilng rooms or high school gymnasiums.

Corey Miller uses a peg board as part of his training as does other world class pullers!

Great exercise for AW'ing!!!