Noob Race To C.o.c. 2.5!

Electron

Btw... hit a 10lbs PR on my Secret Weapon yesterday. 80lbs set to parallel... its a GSS model so I've heard that the leverage ratio is 1.5x-2.0x resistance of the weight on the machine... not 100% sure about that though.

Today picked up my 2.5 Cold Turkey and got it to roughly .25 in from handles touching with my non-closing hand's thumb helping to hold the dog leg in place.

That's a 1/4in improvement from last week

nice job. i have a ghp 6 which is slightly harder than a 2.5. i am just past parallel on it. seems i am bit farther away than most in this thread. i have been doing a lot more hand stuff than usual though. my gripper specific work is down but hand centric work is up. i made a rolling thunder handle with a 3 inch pipe. it is fun to do pullups with. i have an eagle claw in one hand and the rolling thunder in the other. it smokes my forearms. not sure if i am overtraining or not. my hands seem to not be getting wore out.

If you're only half way with two fingers why not try three or four? That's pretty good man... You are super close to getting this thing, I'm positive that you'll get it before the end of summer if not before the end of spring.

Thanks man, encouraging words to hear. I was going to take a video so I could get your opinion but I'm too tired from trying multiple reps earlier.

Sometime soon though.

Btw... hit a 10lbs PR on my Secret Weapon yesterday. 80lbs set to parallel... its a GSS model so I've heard that the leverage ratio is 1.5x-2.0x resistance of the weight on the machine... not 100% sure about that though.

Today picked up my 2.5 Cold Turkey and got it to roughly .25 in from handles touching with my non-closing hand's thumb helping to hold the dog leg in place.

That's a 1/4in improvement from last week

nice job. i have a ghp 6 which is slightly harder than a 2.5. i am just past parallel on it. seems i am bit farther away than most in this thread. i have been doing a lot more hand stuff than usual though. my gripper specific work is down but hand centric work is up. i made a rolling thunder handle with a 3 inch pipe. it is fun to do pullups with. i have an eagle claw in one hand and the rolling thunder in the other. it smokes my forearms. not sure if i am overtraining or not. my hands seem to not be getting wore out.

3 inches! That's crazy. I gotta find some pipe and try that sometime, bc my 2 inch pvc was a lot harder than expected.

Really good job guys... Glad to see your improvement! Just got my #3! I'l attempt on that beast tommorow, and post a video..

Hope i can pass a parralel with that peace of hardcore. :grin:

OMG... so I know that we've totally jacked this thread and turned it into a one arm chinning thread, but... I just thought of the best solution to the towel method, which almost will give you a pinch grip from hell.

Once you've reached the end of the towel... replace the towel with a 2x4 and work it down just like the towel.

OMG... so I know that we've totally jacked this thread and turned it into a one arm chinning thread, but... I just thought of the best solution to the towel method, which almost will give you a pinch grip from hell.

Once you've reached the end of the towel... replace the towel with a 2x4 and work it down just like the towel.

Sounds like a good idea, I gotta go get me a 2x4 now.

I'm uploading a progress video right now on youtube

Yeah we totally went off-topic. lol

Disregard the left arm attempt, it's shot.

Edited by TentacleGrip

you look so much like an old friend of mine... it's freaking uncanny.

You're so close that it's ridiculous man... I'm positive that you'll get it before summer. Remember there are 3 months in spring ;)

Hope to, I just need my lats to get a little stronger so I can do the beginning of the movement.

It's the hardest part for me right now.

I guess I should just start doing these more often during the week.

Hi guys,

Nice work with the grippers and the OACs, i've been reading up on OACs and i'm interested in adding it to my list of long term goals, i'm a pretty big guy for that kind of manoeuvre though at 88kg (200lbs) and am concerned about elbow issues. My max weighted chin is about 50kg (maybe a kilo or two more), roughly 60% of my BW.

Was wondering what your max weighted chins were in relation to BW, i'd like to start with negatives, but want to be safe! As regards the debate over the carryover between eccentric and concentric movements i have a couple of points to make. Firstly, Jim from BeastSkills, advises using eccentrics, then as you progress adding lockoffs at the top, middle and toward the end of the movement, being able to hold your bodyweight static certainly builds strength for concentric exercises. Just look at olympic rings gymnasts!! They train using almost solely BW exercises but when they hit the gym they absolutely beast it - coach Sommer from the gymnasticbodies forum recounts a former pupil of his who deadlifted 400lbs first try at something like 140lbs BW, and was able to chin something like 30/40kg with no apparent effort at all for reps!

Anyway, just my thoughts, if you care to throw any advice over my way it'd be much appreciated!

Well... whether you believe eccentrics will improve your 1AC or not... just know that they'll be rough on your elbows if the attempt is above your max and if you're going to do them then I would suggest to have a couple of prehab work outs to get the blood flowing in the area.

Sick job on the flag at 200lbs though!!!

So I worked on my grip again last night, did the same workout as last time.

I got even closer to closing the GNC200, about 1/16th of an inch off now. I'll have it soon enough. :chris:

I'm trying not to pick up grippers at all (it makes me want to close them) on my off days, because I believe strength is built from adequate rest.

It's really hard to leave grippers alone though... they're tempting.

Saturday, I gave my 2.5 another try. It was from a MMS and I *think* it closed, but to be honest my hand was so shaky and my vision so blurred, I couldn't be 100% sure. If it didn't close, it was 0.5 mm from touching. Hopefully, in another couple months, I can say with 100% certainty.

sweet job bwwm. .5mm is pretty damned close. Why was your vision blurry though?

Due to all of the hanging from pull up bars that I have been doing (front lever training, 1AC training, hanging for prolonged periods for spinal decompression), greasing the groove on a sledgehammer, and Max effort grip work... the knuckles on my index fingers are beginning to get a little irritated. I'm going to skip max effort grip work this week, but still do my recovery work out, the others submaximals grips exercises listed, along with therapeutic recovery. Should be recovered by next Tuesday but still may or may not avoid max effort grip work the following week... just to be sure.

p.s.- two days ago... I picked up my #3 and was able to set it for the first time. I'm almost positive that at that time that I couldn't have gone very far beyond the set... definitely excited to see my progress though.

p.p.s- I'm glad to be able to communicate with other people around my strength level on gripboard. For a while I was feeling like I was a mice amongst wrench bending, coc#3.5 closing, and lobster pinching giants.

• Like 1

sweet job bwwm. .5mm is pretty damned close. Why was your vision blurry though? Due to all of the hanging from pull up bars that I have been doing (front lever training, 1AC training, hanging for prolonged periods for spinal decompression), greasing the groove on a sledgehammer, and Max effort grip work... the knuckles on my index fingers are beginning to get a little irritated. I'm going to skip max effort grip work this week, but still do my recovery work out, the others submaximals grips exercises listed, along with therapeutic recovery. Should be recovered by next Tuesday but still may or may not avoid max effort grip work the following week... just to be sure. p.s.- two days ago... I picked up my #3 and was able to set it for the first time. I'm almost positive that at that time that I couldn't have gone very far beyond the set... definitely excited to see my progress though.

Sometimes when I'm doing max effort on something, my vision gets a little unfocused. I chalk it up to getting old.

Yeah, let your joints recover, and come back stronger. No need in letting things get irritated. That happened to me when I was trying to GTG with grippers end of last year.

Well... whether you believe eccentrics will improve your 1AC or not... just know that they'll be rough on your elbows if the attempt is above your max and if you're going to do them then I would suggest to have a couple of prehab work outs to get the blood flowing in the area.

Sick job on the flag at 200lbs though!!!

Cheers, i wanted the flag for a little while, did a load of handstand pushups and oblique/ab work, then one day just found a gate with the right hand spacing and jumped right into it! The hardest bit really is finding somewhere to practice, im working towards getting it on a pole, but i find it tough not to swing round as i do it. Best of luck to everyone going for the #2.5, i found that explosive MMS closes with my #2 combined with some TNS (or just wider set) with my #2 helped me get the #2.5 out of the packet :)

Of course the set is super important and if anyone hasn't seen Paul Knights video then i advise you check it out! (Its on his YouTube channel somewhere i think, if not then i'll hunt out a link if anyone wants)

bwwm: Are you a chest breather? It sounds like you're holding your breath in your chest when closing grippers them.

patrickmeniru: what type of auxillary oblique work did you do? I've done side bends with a 100lbs Db for 20 rep sets but stopped because it's somewhat awkward because I have to use 25lbs plates instead of 10s to fit them on the dumbbell.

I think you are right. I probably need to refocus on basic power breathing techniques.

patrickmeniru: what type of auxillary oblique work did you do? I've done side bends with a 100lbs Db for 20 rep sets but stopped because it's somewhat awkward because I have to use 25lbs plates instead of 10s to fit them on the dumbbell.

I basically just did loads of oblique crunches, you lie slightly on one side (halfway between flat on your back and balancing on one side), then put your upper hand behind your head and crunch so that the upper elbow touches the knee. I did lots of reps of these, i also do lots of core work, russian twists with weight, dragon flags and windshield wipers are all great.

Im guessing that side bends do carryover, but i didn't do that many - when i did i used 20kg plates and focussed on getting max ROM for between 10 and 20 reps.

Just realised that i've been keeping a log of my training, if you look on the workouts forum you should find it pretty easily. When i began it i didn't have the flag so workouts near the beginning should be relevant.

All the best for your training.

Edited by patrickmeniru