Ghp Gripper Challenge

Wade Gillingham

Eirik Ingebretsen becomes the second man from Norway on the list:

Edited by Wade Gillingham

Wade...I've got not a doubt in the world that Eirik closed it in fine fashion, but there's no chance you'd accept a Level 9 Cert with the gripper completely leaving the screen like it did from 1:00-1:02.

Wade...I've got not a doubt in the world that Eirik closed it in fine fashion, but there's no chance you'd accept a Level 9 Cert with the gripper completely leaving the screen like it did from 1:00-1:02.

Hi, and thanks for letting me know. I totally forgot the rule about the gripper not leaving the screen. I can assure you that everything was done in fine fashion.

I've got a video here with 3 reps, but I didn't submit it as the 3rd rep wasn't very easy to judge..

Best regards, Eirik Bruun Ingebretsen.

Nathaniel - thanks for the comments on this. I had another video from Eirik that was not as good of quality as the one I accepted that was better done technically so I felt comfortable that he was doing the closes legitimately. No, I would not have accepted the video for a Level 9 cert. I have accepted some videos recently that aren't as good as I would like. It's a fine line however on when do you reject a video because it's not pretty even if you are sure the close is being done. I would love to get more feedback from others on this. I had 5 sets of eyes on the Holle close and one of them said it wasn't good enough and in my opinion that is one of the best videos we have had submitted. How far should the quality of video be pushed for this challenge? I want to hear from you guys that are being judged. Thanks!

Wade

• Like 1

Wade I think it’s pretty obvious in both of his videos that Eirik is manhandling the #7, however neither one of the two in the thread actually follows the rules you laid out. “Once the gripper is either opened in the case of a new gripper, or measured in the case of a previously opened gripper, the gripper must remain on film (video format) or with the judge (competition format) until the challenge attempt is completed.”

Personally, I feel that the rules are fine as written and not too difficult to comply with. I see no reason to amend them, unless you would like to put in a caveat of GHP having discretionary judgment as to what constitutes a reasonable attempt to adhere to the rules.

I would suggest however that those who wish to certify on a “previously opened gripper” actually close the gripper FIRST, then…AFTER the close while still holding the gripper in the camera view bring the ruler and micrometer TO the gripper. I believe at least one video was already done this way.

I’m of the opinion that this will cut down on the continuity problems that seem to plague the GHP challenge videos.

I actually like the cert process of bender's battlefield the best. One gripper at each level that has been RGC rated. It is basically the same as the mash monster process except the grippers are actually rated. A person has to open the box on camera and show their face. I like knowing what I am going up against ahead of time since grippers vary. I do love the GHP set block idea though. Its a uniform block that every has to use and I think 1.5 inches is a great distance. Wide but not so wide that a person is unable to have their pinky on the handle at the start. Just my thoughts. I know its more costly for people going for the cert and someone would have to control the mailing of the grippers like Eric does for this board, but I think its the best way to assure a legit close.

I think the cert is a very good the way it is, I think the comments were good above as well but I think the rules clearly state what is wanted. I think folks once they get on the list should feel very good about the cert. If that means rejecting some videos because it does not meet the standards exactly who cares, this will make the cert even more prestigious. I like the idea of measuring after and I will do that in the future on my next ghp cert video because even if the gripper does leave then you can see the measurements.

WORD!!

• 4 weeks later...

http://gillinghamhp.com/gc.aspx

The GHP Gripper Challenge rules have been revised. Here are the highlights:

1) For previously opened grippers the measurement must occur after the final close not before, and a digital micrometer must be used for measuring the spring - no analog dials please.

2) Video submissions must be done as a private video in YouTube until we have a chance to review the video.

3) Your face has to be shown at some point in the video.

We took a bit of criticism for the quality of some of the videos. We recently turned down a Level 8 close because the block passing through the handles was not clear. We are going to get more picky about the quality of the video. Please make these clear.

Finally, if anyone wants to run the GHP Gripper Challenge as part of your event please let us know. We would be happy to supply the gripper(s) and set blocks for you.

Thanks everyone for your continued support!

Edited by Wade Gillingham
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great strength! Great close.

I thought the video would not come out well because you were back lit, but it came out great.

Thanks! Iam very happy with this cert.

Thats the limit for me, only possible on a good day!

And i think this is an easyer Ghp8 78-79kg.

• Like 2

Holy smokes, that was smashed!

you have quite the finish there: the way you paused in the middle I thought you weren't going to get it but you have an awesome finish! Excellent job! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats very strong!

I was wondering there is no face to see?

Wade tells me that the rules have changed a little, everyone have to show the face.

This was one reason for the failed 1 attempt on my L8 cert.

There is no doubt on this closes, iam just asking.

You are right Hannes, Andrew should have shown his face as per the new rules. I did let this slide. This is the second attempt by Andrew and the closes were so unquestionable this time that I let the face thing slide as I didn't think it should disqualify such a good attempt. Just so there is no confusion, Hannes first attempt wasn't approved because the block passing through the handles was not clear and the close was blurry. I asked Hannes to show his face the next time as we were just changing the rules to request that the attempt show the gripsters face.

Wade

You are right Hannes, Andrew should have shown his face as per the new rules. I did let this slide. This is the second attempt by Andrew and the closes were so unquestionable this time that I let the face thing slide as I didn't think it should disqualify such a good attempt. Just so there is no confusion, Hannes first attempt wasn't approved because the block passing through the handles was not clear and the close was blurry. I asked Hannes to show his face the next time as we were just changing the rules to request that the attempt show the gripsters face.

Wade

Nice that your keeping your rules strict and keeping your certs valid Wade. Good on you :sorcerer:

I also think Andrews closes are impressiv and absolute clear to see.

• 2 weeks later...