Ma State Aw Championship

iamsean11

I am looking forward to the AW tourney on the 24th of March. It's in Dennis, on Cape Cod. I was seeing if anyone from here was planning on going because it would be great to meet some of you guys.

Let me know!

• 1 month later...

The tournament was awesome!

I competed in the 90kg class, but for some reason they put me in the open class even though I told them it was my first time. So, I competed right arm against a national champ or something for my first match, which was insane. I did okay on that, and lost my second one too. Right arm was not the best.

Left arm open I did great. Won my first two against 2 amateurs, then lost to the same guy as before. I think his name was Ron Ermine? I didn't make finals, so I think I got 5th or something.

Overall, awesome time! I enjoyed it a ton, and I am looking forward to the upcoming tournament in May. I will post another topic with the info for everyone, because it will be close for many of you in the NYC area.

I was invited to practice with some guys in RI every Sunday night which I am looking forward to. VIDEOS of my matches to come once I get them uploaded from the camera.

Sean

His name is Ron Klemba actually. He is a multi-time world champion.

Thanks! I hope to go to more of them because it was a blast and such an adrenaline rush when they call you up.

Edited by iamsean11

Good job Sean. Post the video bro. I really want to see.

Very cool Sean. You tore through the first guy. you got me really interested buddy. I checked my finals schedule. I have one the friday right before the tournament in CT but since it so close I should be able to make it. I'll be training hard for it.

Edited by Chez

Very cool Sean. You tore through the first guy. you got me really interested buddy. I checked my finals schedule. I have one the friday right before the tournament in CT but since it so close I should be able to make it. I'll be training hard for it.

It's super fun! Because of some shoulder issues, I left rock climbing after 15 years in the sport, and this gives me a little bit of it back. Similar muscles being used, great atmosphere, and the great competitive energy.

I hope I get to see you there!

Anybody else going to show?

Sean

Hey Sean, first off congrats on your first tourney! Second, you mentioned a tournament close to NYC in May, Do you know the exact place and date of the tourney?? Would it happen to be the one on May 12th in Bristol CT, the Reggie Ward Memorial Arm Wrestling Challenge? If so then I will see you there because that is one I am also going to. Thirdly, you went against freakin Klemba!!! He came to the last tournament I was in a few months ago at the Port Authority in NYC and wiped the floor with everyone. The one thing you'll learn quick in this sport is that looks are freakin deceiving but don't feel bad because he is an extremely seasoned pro and not many people ever get past him.

Chez hopefully I see you there as well, assuming it's the tourney I'm thinking of. Man all this arm wrestling talk has got me pumped!!

This summer I'll be hosting some practices in my backyard, it's out on the island in Nassau County but it could be fun to get alot of people and make a bbq out of it or something.

Hey Sean, first off congrats on your first tourney! Second, you mentioned a tournament close to NYC in May, Do you know the exact place and date of the tourney?? Would it happen to be the one on May 12th in Bristol CT, the Reggie Ward Memorial Arm Wrestling Challenge? If so then I will see you there because that is one I am also going to. Thirdly, you went against freakin Klemba!!! He came to the last tournament I was in a few months ago at the Port Authority in NYC and wiped the floor with everyone. The one thing you'll learn quick in this sport is that looks are freakin deceiving but don't feel bad because he is an extremely seasoned pro and not many people ever get past him.

Chez hopefully I see you there as well, assuming it's the tourney I'm thinking of. Man all this arm wrestling talk has got me pumped!!

This summer I'll be hosting some practices in my backyard, it's out on the island in Nassau County but it could be fun to get alot of people and make a bbq out of it or something.

It is the Reggie Ward Memorial Arm Wrestling Challenge. It would be great meeting you. Maybe you can help me with technique. I'm probably going to get killed but it will be fun to get some experience.

Yes, it is the Reggie Ward Memorial Tournament. I made a topic in the AW forum for anyone going, and to add their weight and class, etc..

I hope to pull strong for it. I am now training with a group of guys down in Warwick, Rhode Island, so I hope this will get me one step closer to beating Klemba. :laugh

Can't wait to see you there!

Sean

I hope this will get me one step closer to beating Klemba. :laugh

Nice, to achieve that task you should pay attention how much higher Ron's knuckles were in the set up. He top rolled you with ease and you shouldn't give him any advantage. You could try to get him in a refs grip to minimize his grip advantage but then you better be ready for a strap and he is a killer in a strap.

Another problem is that he is lightning fast (a master going early ;) ) and that can not happen or you will be holding on to him and he will take your hand every time.

(just a few observations)

Good luck!

I hope this will get me one step closer to beating Klemba. :laugh

Nice, to achieve that task you should pay attention how much higher Ron's knuckles were in the set up. He top rolled you with ease and you shouldn't give him any advantage. You could try to get him in a refs grip to minimize his grip advantage but then you better be ready for a strap and he is a killer in a strap.

Another problem is that he is lightning fast (a master going early ;) ) and that can not happen or you will be holding on to him and he will take your hand every time.

(just a few observations)

Good luck!

Hey thanks for the observations about my match with Klemba. I will definitely work on those key points. It was my first tourney, so hopefully I will learn a ton over the next 6 weeks and get much stronger for a rematch in CT.

He told me after that I had strong biceps so he purposely opened me up to get rid of my advantage, and I think if I work on my hook, it should be a good combination.

Thanks!

Sean

He told me after that I had strong biceps so he purposely opened me up to get rid of my advantage, and I think if I work on my hook, it should be a good combination.

Yes, looks like you have a decent wrist also. I think you have two good options to go against "The High Chief" and use that arm strength. Hook him or use the strap to make it more about arm strength and less about hand.

Train Hard!

All the best and don't give up.

Cheers!

Yes, looks like you have a decent wrist also. I think you have two good options to go against "The High Chief" and use that arm strength. Hook him or use the strap to make it more about arm strength and less about hand.

Train Hard!

Cheers!

Thanks again! I didn't see any info for your location. Any chance we will see you at the tourneys out on the east coast?

I had my first practice with the team tonight, and it was awesome! Learned a ton, pulled a ton, and now I have a ton of pain. lol

Sean

Train Hard!

Cheers!

Thanks again! I didn't see any info for your location. Any chance we will see you at the tourneys out on the east coast?

I had my first practice with the team tonight, and it was awesome! Learned a ton, pulled a ton, and now I have a ton of pain. lol

Sean

I know its hard to do and i often fail in doing it, but take it easy in the beginning. Armwrestling pain is or can be one of the worst pains, its very different from the usual soreness of the ordinary muscles. You will fell for yourself :)

Train Hard!

Cheers!

Sean

I know its hard to do and i often fail in doing it, but take it easy in the beginning. Armwrestling pain is or can be one of the worst pains, its very different from the usual soreness of the ordinary muscles. You will fell for yourself :)

Yeah the pain is definitely not a 'sore muscle' type pain. I rock climbed competitively off and on for 16 years, and never had pain like this. I guess that shows how unnatural arm wrestling is to the bodies normal movements.

Thanks!

Sean

@iamsean11

thanks for the vids and congrats to your first tourney! you seem to have a good strength base for armwrestling and impressive to see you hold on to klemba in such a bad position.

Do you train regulary in a training group?

@iamsean11

thanks for the vids and congrats to your first tourney! you seem to have a good strength base for armwrestling and impressive to see you hold on to klemba in such a bad position.

Do you train regulary in a training group?

Thanks! I had a ton of fun. That was my first time ever pulling on a table. I was invited to train with some awesome guys in Rhode Island and yesterday was my first practice. I look forward to the next few months and getting a solid base built up.

Sean

super. there is nothing more important than to find a good training group where you learn techniqe an get some table time. be ready for some great improvements.

what I noticed is, that at the moment pronation may be one of your weaker spots. work on it in an armwrestling specific way and add some front wrist training. this will improve your hand control a lot and you will be able to use your power way more effective.. ;-)