New World Record Hand Dynamometer?

Gripmasters

Was just shopping around. Found a standard res, standard head one for $217 + $10 shipping on Amazon.

They also have the hi-res, large head one for $337 + $10 shipping.

Quite an investment, but does come with warranty and case.

http://www.amazon.com/Baseline-Hydraulic-Dynamometer-Without-200Lb/dp/B000BAST84

Paul and Eric are determined to make up the baseline for connecting!

what do you think

Edited by carfman1

Was just shopping around. Found a standard res, standard head one for $217 + $10 shipping on Amazon.

They also have the hi-res, large head one for $337 + $10 shipping.

Quite an investment, but does come with warranty and case.

http://www.amazon.co...b/dp/B000BAST84

Paul and Eric are determined to make up the baseline for connecting!

what do you think

I just ordered a brand new Baseline HiRes Dynamometer (300lbs)!

I can't wait to review this testing device!

I will schedule a weekend to go out to Eric and Paul's and see what they can do with

a dynamometer.

I started to get a less expensive Smedley that's a spring type dynamometer but I thought

why not get what you actually want because I would've ended up buying the Baseline anyways.

Later on I'll probably get a hydraulic pinch gauge too that goes to 60lbs.

BTW, I know someone will ask, I got it on Amazon for 254.95. Great deal IMO! Also has a 3 year warranty.

Comes with case also.

hi what do you think Paul and Eric, we create in kilograms?

greeting

You know, I think this is something that we Americans should be measuring in Kilograms. Virtually all references people use on Dynos are measured in Kilograms, all of Dale Harder's readings are in Kgs, and really the notches on the gauge are truly set up for Kilograms. Although the notches read in pounds as well, with the needle, the most accurate reading you are going to get is to the nearest Kilogram. Besides that, the rest of the world used that standard of measurement.

If Dynamometers are going to catch fire in the grip world, we should start out right with them.

I have a client who is a sports MD, and his reporting of readings on his Jamar Dynamometer to insurance companies is in Kilograms as well...

You know, I think this is something that we Americans should be measuring in Kilograms. Virtually all references people use on Dynos are measured in Kilograms, all of Dale Harder's readings are in Kgs, and really the notches on the gauge are truly set up for Kilograms. Although the notches read in pounds as well, with the needle, the most accurate reading you are going to get is to the nearest Kilogram. Besides that, the rest of the world used that standard of measurement.

If Dynamometers are going to catch fire in the grip world, we should start out right with them.

I have a client who is a sports MD, and his reporting of readings on his Jamar Dynamometer to insurance companies is in Kilograms as well...

ok many thanks,

many people can press the baseline to the circuit?

thank

• 3 months later...

Chris is a strong guy for sure, i have no doubt on that baseline numbers he did!

Maybe he can not close same rated grippers, but this 130kg on the baseline are insane!

I'm I the only one that can't see the vid? :huh:

Hi,

No, apparently the man set his vids to private now. He was quite controversial here, and things got heated up a bit.

I think he is no more (allowed?) active on the GB.

Hi,

No, apparently the man set his vids to private now. He was quite controversial here, and things got heated up a bit.

I think he is no more (allowed?) active on the GB.

Damn, I wanted to see that.

I played around with a baseline hand dyno while working at 2, of 3, expos recently. It was the large dial 300lbs baseline model. For fun we had customers and visitors to the stand try it out. We had them do it bent arm with the elbow tucked against their sides and hand/forearm forward. We had them do a slow crush (as is the norm) and then a ballaisticor fast pop type crush

At Bodypower the visitors are typically bodybuilders and or train with weights and the 3 day average 'slow crush' was 65-kilos or 140lbs (mean av for population is around 115lbs).

At Seni the visitors are combat or martial arts athletes (MMA, Judo, Karate etc). The average was around 50-kilos.

My mean average at Seni (the first of the 3 expos) was 100-kilos with a few slow crush squeezes hitting 110-120-kilos. My typical 'fast' crushes were 120-130 with a few maxing the needle all the way around to the stop (off the scale or approx 150kg). For my fast ones I'd semi relax all over and then wind myself up and pop it, so to speak, as fast as possible. It's probably a measure of peak momentary strength rather than crushing power. I had, I think, 2 of the many athletes and visitors hit high numbers one of which was a former strongman buddy of mine (I joked about him 'getting the hell away from me you're making me look bad ha ha').

By the time I got to the third weekend of gripping, tearing, bending and squeezing I was getting more and more tired. So my numbers were down with the 'slow' numbers being between 90-100 kilos (av 95) and 'fast' only once hitting the 'off the scale' measure with most 120-130-kilos. At Seni, in spite of me being a little worn out, I think I was the only one getting as high as I did.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have spoken with Cristian Loewe about his Baseline.

He send me his Baseline, and ill give them a try!

It would be very interesting to see, how far i can press that thing??

My max effort on grippers is close my #3,5 (rated to ~ 86kg) with an deep set.

Maybe i can press on the baseline 95-105kg??

I try to make a vid about my attempt on the baseline from Mr. Baseline :getlost:

• Like 2

I have spoken with Cristian Loewe about his Baseline.

He send me his Baseline, and ill give them a try!

It would be very interesting to see, how far i can press that thing??

My max effort on grippers is close my #3,5 (rated to ~ 86kg) with an deep set.

Maybe i can press on the baseline 95-105kg??

I try to make a vid about my attempt on the baseline from Mr. Baseline :getlost:

You must remember use on the video sunglasses and hat. :whistel

• Like 3

Sunglasses and hat, thats the key for worldclass numbers on a baseline ;-)

• Like 4

That's some strong crushing right there. I recently squeezed 127-128kg on the same type of dyno. I think with a good full body warmup maybe I can get to 130. Really impressive stuff.

• Like 1

Today i give the baseline from Christian Loewe a try!

It feels very different to grippers. My fist try with ri and le are 112 - 115kg.

I try another attempt in about 3 days, maybe i can press 118 - 120kg but nothing more.

Chris is a beast on that baseline thats for sure!

• Like 1

Good numbers Hannes!

Everybody should keep in mind that squeezing a hydraulic dynamometer is almost pure isometric strength and as such it is specific, which leads to a fact that it will improve quite quickly through practice, if you don't normally practice anything similar.

So, to crank up good dynamometer numbers practice it.

Couple of years ago when I stopped my specific grip training, I tested myself on a digital hand dynamometer (that was used in scientific grip strength studies) once a week.

Though 3 months of not training grip, my dynamometer numbers went up from 100 kg to 124 kg while my strength on grippers was on a steady decline. That is to say that isometric strength differs quite a bit from dynamic.

Edited by Teemu I
  • Like 2

Good numbers Hannes!

Everybody should keep in mind that squeezing a hydraulic dynamometer is almost pure isometric strength and as such it is specific, which leads to a fact that it will improve quite quickly through practice, if you don't normally practice anything similar.

So, to crank up good dynamometer numbers practice it.

Couple of years ago when I stopped my specific grip training, I tested myself on a digital hand dynamometer (that was used in scientific grip strength studies) once a week.

Though 3 months of not training grip, my dynamometer numbers went up from 100 kg to 124 kg while my strength on grippers was on a steady decline. That is to say that isometric strength differs quite a bit from dynamic.

Thanks for explaining that. Dale Harder, at around age 70, could squeeze 85 kg, but not come close to closing the 2. He was not jerking it, but he probably spent more time with a Dyno than any man alive. I didn't understand why, now I do.

• Like 1

I'm really glad Teemu explained it so well. I wouldn't have been able to.

This is why the baseline is not an impressive feat. People that were aware that it's an isometric "movement" know that it's a VERY specific training in that exact range. And for new people it's a matter of having to experiment with the width of the tool to find your optimum setting, then training that position. In a short time the CNS will be very familiar with that hold and will begin to fire much more efficiently. Handing it to new people is a bit misleading when comparing to people who squeeze it often. It's apples to oranges. From the hand strength testing I did with Hans's experiment, he made sure not to show me how to do it, just gave the same instructions as he did everyone else. That way no one has the advantage of experience on a testing device. He knew it skews the numbers, and gives false data. He also refused to input his data just based on his higher level of experience than the average testee.

Edited by daniel reinard

Good points Daniel. To take things further, dynos such as Baseline don't allow for the best possible adjustment of the handle individually. Isometric strength is specific to a point where one person's strongest joint angle could actually be somewhere between two different handle positions.