New World Record Hand Dynamometer?

Gripmasters

Well, folks thought there were only white swans in the world, till somebody saw a black swan. The improbable happens more often than people think. However, it doesn't mean people shouldn't ask for data or facts to back up claims.

"without training.......this never happened...".

This could be a meaning lost in translation. I think he ment that "He could not have done this without training."

I would not pay too much attention to what he says; his statements are always somewhat strange.

It seems that his language skills are a bit limited (even if he speaks German), he always brag's in his videos that he the strongest, greatest, King of the world etc.

Devil's advocate here. I watched it 6 or 7 times. I am wondering if that little jerk at the end took it from the 120kg mark to over the 130kg mark. I can't tell. That may be the case, it may not.

I watched the video , replaying the part were he does jerk the gripper. It is were he lets go and the needle jumps back to 0. I did see the other needle that shows max effort and it did not move at all.

I saw the other needle move as well. I kept trying to see which notch the needle was on before the jerk, but for me, it was too blurry to judge. It could have just been me. But it you gave it the same scrutiny that I did, you are probably right.

Another thing to add. He does this sitting down. I've tried to close a few grippers sitting down and it feels awkward as hell.

I feel much more powerful standing up.

Especially when going for a max effort.

Yes indeed he is sitting down, didn't even realize that also. He likes the challenge but I agree not in a normal way, it is like the silverback dude, some people like him some not. As I stated before I compare it with Sigmarson and Kazmaier having arguments like who is the strongest. This guy just likes to provocate a bit, and i would say why not. it is a healthy competition, he never offend me so...

but in fact a few years back, he had some very bad comments and people emailing him with all kinds of offenses. Since then he started to turn his back and he didn't take anybody serious anymore. Yes I agree, why would you bother, but really this guy got all kinds of bad comments and also personal insults from some anonymous youtube kids. So if you know that, than maybe you can understand a bit why he is starting to behave like some of your state.

Yes with proper training he will get stronger for sure. my opinion, this man is one out of a million, I have helped a lot of people with training and bodybuilding competitions, but this man really has very rare genetics, We talked with another power lift coach, and he even spoke these legendary words: ""Du bist wie Mozart"" (so he said: you are like mozart, a very rare genetics you have)

if you would ever meet this guy in real you will know it is real. You can't see it from videos. I knew he was strong but when I met him I was shocked.

I trained with him and let him do all kinds of grip excersises and I was amazed every time!

really his muscles are so damn efficient.

he told me last week, he already reached the max of this hand dynamometer once, when he feels stronger again I will ask him to make a video from it ok. will also ask to show his left hand, which is little weaker.

Does anybody know if this is indeed the unofficial world record on the baseline?

We will be using a Baseline (brand new 300lb capacity) at the Arnold's in our booth near the stage to acess the "darkhorse" entry for the Mighty Mitts. I think there will be some good numbers. I watched the video. While possible, I think I need to see and or gather a bit more information on this fellows high reading before I can comment one way or another. This is a world "record level mark" and does carry importance as a guide and inspiration to others so I don't take it lightly. I have seen people "play" on the Baseline and get some real high/strange readings. However, under careful test situations a high mark is usually a direct indicator of great "raw" hand strength. R Sorin

That was awesome! I don't think grippers closed gives a good indication on the dynos because grippers is mostly the last two so he could have a ton of HP in the first two and not be on the same gripper level as Paul Knight, Jon Vogt, Tim Struse, etc..

I agree. I am not nearly as strong on grippers as a lot of guys that I can beat on a dyno. I suspect that this guy is pretty good on grippers however.

I agree with both of you as well. Still, on his video, it appears to me to be a little jerk at the end; however, 120kg instead of 130 plus? It is still fantastic. I guess I am having a hard time accepting that someone no one knows could be 10% stronger than any known person of the strength world.

To further play devil's advocate, why is it wrong to jerk a dyno? I know it gives a higher reading but does a little jerk like that really move the needle independent of crushing strength or do we see the surge because it's biomechanically natural? For example, tons of people jerk grippers but jerk a dyno and you've cheated. I would like to know if there is any reasoning behind this rule or if this is another case of "we don't allow it because we've never allowed it"

I think we should just enjoy the video for what it is. No claims of world records are made in the video. Just the kg listed.

I doubt the video was made to be scrutinized under world record conditions.

Regardless of where the pin ended up I saw it go up quite far.

Amazes the hell out of myself, a mere mortal. :)

• Like 1

That was awesome! I don't think grippers closed gives a good indication on the dynos because grippers is mostly the last two so he could have a ton of HP in the first two and not be on the same gripper level as Paul Knight, Jon Vogt, Tim Struse, etc..

I agree. I am not nearly as strong on grippers as a lot of guys that I can beat on a dyno. I suspect that this guy is pretty good on grippers however.

I agree with both of you as well. Still, on his video, it appears to me to be a little jerk at the end; however, 120kg instead of 130 plus? It is still fantastic. I guess I am having a hard time accepting that someone no one knows could be 10% stronger than any known person of the strength world.

To further play devil's advocate, why is it wrong to jerk a dyno? I know it gives a higher reading but does a little jerk like that really move the needle independent of crushing strength or do we see the surge because it's biomechanically natural? For example, tons of people jerk grippers but jerk a dyno and you've cheated. I would like to know if there is any reasoning behind this rule or if this is another case of "we don't allow it because we've never allowed it"

Josh - I've always felt the same way about this. However, with the baseline dyno the high point indicator needle (red) is free floating and is carried along by the primary indicator needle (black), so yes, you can jerk the dyno and get the red needle to jump further than the black needle carried it. I recently saw this happen with mine in the gym. A guy was squeezing up around 100kg and I couldn't figure out how until I realized the needle was jumping because he was really moving the dyno a lot on his attempt. He wasn't doing it on purpose or to cheat. When he held his arm steady he was around 90kg. With Richard's Baraban dyno I squeezed several years ago I don't think this was an issue.

Wade

• Like 1

At Robert Alva's contest in 2010, I brought my Baseline. Haugen jerked it, and had over a 90 reading. Without jerking, it was below 80. Dale Harder, who has more Baseline readings of different people than anyone, said that jerking was not allowable, and it artificially inflated the numbers. It seems pretty consistent at 10-15 kg as a bump from what I see. And, I don't think that bump is real strength, it's like using a jumping platform to dunk a basketball.

I am pretty much in awe of anyone who squeezes over 100kg, as it is pure raw crushing strength. And anyone with 100kg of Dyno strength has a killer crush, regardless of what gripper they close...

• Like 1

Josh - I've always felt the same way about this. However, with the baseline dyno the high point indicator needle (red) is free floating and is carried along by the primary indicator needle (black), so yes, you can jerk the dyno and get the red needle to jump further than the black needle carried it. I recently saw this happen with mine in the gym. A guy was squeezing up around 100kg and I couldn't figure out how until I realized the needle was jumping because he was really moving the dyno a lot on his attempt. He wasn't doing it on purpose or to cheat. When he held his arm steady he was around 90kg. With Richard's Baraban dyno I squeezed several years ago I don't think this was an issue.

Wade

Thanks Wade, The rule makes sense if jerking it will physically move the needle independent of crushing force.

I watched it several times to see if I could understand the Jerking thing... I think it does add a bit. I was pausing it several times and it seems he does get it close to 130 with no jerking but somehow the red needle ends up further than the black needle ever travels? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You can download video to your computer and watch it frame by frame with gom player. I did and maybe that jerk adds 10pounds max. Enormous grip!

Regardless of this jerking thing, the guy definitely gets to 130 kg. This is absolutely ridiculous any way you look at it! There is no way to deny that conclusion!

The Baraban tester is fine made very accurate tool I have used it quite a bit It does give a different "number " than the baseline even when they are used back to back by the same man. It doesn't have the "jumping capability" of the needle as the Baseline. The highest I have seen on that one was 104 by Big Rich. I saw one afternoon sevreral strong guys here messing with a older, used, Baseline unit and "bumping double surge" at the end gave as much a difference as 25 kilos per man. Years and years ago a doctors dyno was brought to the first Old time Strongmans Assoc. dinner that I attended . Both John Brookfield and myself were there with the Guiness book record holder for a plate loaded grip unit(310 lb. one hand) and we were all tested. Results were quite interesting. The range was from 185 to 257lb. if my memory is correct.

In closing 290lb. is one tremendous squeeze no matter how you slice it. R Sorin

• Like 1

Wasn't Nathan Holle's 125kg on a Baraban? If so that's even more amazing since the Baraban is immune to jerking.

These are numbers only grip gods reach in my opinion! Whatever people say, this deserves respect! :bow My ultimate dream goal would be around 92kg, because I ever saw a video of Manfred Hoeberl squeezing 92kg in a hospital dynamometer on a computer. (this video is somewhere on Heimo's old account.) I tried to find the video, but couldn't find it, it was filmed by Heimo from an television playing it. If anyone can find it please let me know!!

Too bad that these Baselines are so damn expensive, and Roberts Griptester is not being made anymore. Robert Baraban told me few years back that there was an amazing amount of work and craftsmanship in his grip tester, so he decided to quit making them. Hope one day he will start to make them again.

I was thinking, it would be great to have a hand dynamometer, and the handles are like a gripper. not as wide as a gripper of course, but more to direction parallel.

This is very cool I just got this email from Bill:

To Gripmasters: This performance beats the existing official Open world record set by Dave Brown at 122 kg on 9/04/04 which was approved by Dale Harder, Director of Feats of Strength International.

Dale looked at your video and has the following comment: "It's inconclusive. It looks pretty good but I wish he'd have a closeup of the dial at the same time--maybe two cameras would be better unless he can get a little closer. He zooms in at the beginning and the end but it would be nice if we could see the middle. Ask this guy to identify himself and where he did this and when. Also ask if he can do it again in front of a knowledgeable witness. We need a little more evidence."

I would suggest you provide the additional evidence. After that, if it is approved, you will likely be asked to give your bodyweight, nationality, and height, and provide 3 signed witness statements from non-relatives if it was not performed in a sanctioned competition. Doing that, I have no doubt the official record will become yours. Please let me know how that works out. --Thanks, Bill

ok soon will ask him to make a better video and will tell him to keep his hand more still. Also if I will meet Chris, I will make a few videos and with witnesses!

Ok this got me really excited does anyone know where can we buy a new baseline? And since i have read that robert doesnt make any new dyno does anyone know where can i get it if someone is selling a like new condition?

I just ordered a brand new Baseline HiRes Dynamometer (300lbs)!

I can't wait to review this testing device!

I will schedule a weekend to go out to Eric and Paul's and see what they can do with

a dynamometer.

I started to get a less expensive Smedley that's a spring type dynamometer but I thought

why not get what you actually want because I would've ended up buying the Baseline anyways.

Later on I'll probably get a hydraulic pinch gauge too that goes to 60lbs.

BTW, I know someone will ask, I got it on Amazon for 254.95. Great deal IMO! Also has a 3 year warranty.

Comes with case also.

Good one!

I considered the same tool after all the fuzz lately. Ill be happy to read your reports!

RT. :)

ps. fuzz or buzz? not sure what's most appropriate :shutup:

I just ordered a brand new Baseline HiRes Dynamometer (300lbs)!

I can't wait to review this testing device!

I will schedule a weekend to go out to Eric and Paul's and see what they can do with

a dynamometer.

I started to get a less expensive Smedley that's a spring type dynamometer but I thought

why not get what you actually want because I would've ended up buying the Baseline anyways.

Later on I'll probably get a hydraulic pinch gauge too that goes to 60lbs.

BTW, I know someone will ask, I got it on Amazon for 254.95. Great deal IMO! Also has a 3 year warranty.

Comes with case also.

Edited by Artee