Coc #4 Vs Ghp Level 9 Certifications

Jordan Rechsteiner

Which in your opinion is a more difficult certification? The CoC #4 or the GHP level 9 using a MMS or the 1.5" card? The #4 has long been every grip guy's dream yet the new GHP is a harder gripper albeit with an easier starting distance than a credit card. Yes, certain proponents may argue that a credit card could be used with the GHP but that is not the purpose that I wrote this. I want to know which you think is the more difficult feat and then I will focus on doing that this year. Although I'd like to do both, I can only do one or the other as each will require laser focus work. Please do not make this thread an IM vs GHP issue, I like both companies. :)

-Jordan

Your plan is to let other people, strangers who have no vested interest in you, set your goals for you? Anything they say or share on the gripper is hypothetical at best as they have not closed both grippers to have an informed opinion. This is how you are going to select your direction of training? Good luck with that,

Jordan, only YOU can decide ultimately what it is you're trying to accomplish (goals) buddy.

Figure out what it is YOU would like to accomplish. Device a strategy (training program) based on

YOUR strengths and weaknesses, etc. and then pursue your goal(s).

There's nothing wrong with asking questions but in reality it's up to YOU to decide your direction

and plan of travel.

If I told you I believe your goal should be to close a COC#4 with a CCS by the end of 2012 and the way to accomplish this

is by doing strictly negative type work and then the next guy says I believe you can accomplish this in 6 months but by training with lighter grippers for hundreds of reps, who would you listen to and based on what?

Just trying to get you to think a little Jordan, that's all my friend. You have huge desire and motivation, now just come up with the "WHY" of your goal and the "HOW" will follow.

Take care my friend!

Jordan, have you not closed a BBE yet becuase you don't have one?

These threads are tiresome because there is no evidence that you're within striking distance of grippers that are many levels below the #4 or GHP L9.

It's all hypothetical.

My take is that a 9 is a very hard 4. The medium set spread would probably make it as difficult as credit card setting an easy 4.

If there is no such thing as an "Easy 4" coming out of a package these days, then a certification on an IM Number 4 would be more difficult.

I don't expect any to agree with me, but, if you wanted an answer to your question, there it is.

And, if someone Certifies on a L9 before a CoC No 4, you read it here first.

I like the 1.5 inch rule, as that is what my set eventually evolved to (1 5/8ths actually) without studying anyone's technique, watching videos, etc.

My own personal take is that you should Certify on the 3 now. Otherwise, this reminds me of a 4:30 miler talking about breaking 4 minutes, but he officially has never broken 5 minutes. I never did break 4:30, as I caught Mono at 4:39 and never competed again. I can't ever say what I "coulda done", as I didn't. Certify before you injure yourself trying to close the 4.

I don't pay much attention to gripper threads. From what I have read - I always had the impression you were already well above the 3.5 level (and had certed on both the 3 and 3.5) and very close to certing on the #4. If that is not true (and from the above comments, I have to ask) - then I think you are way ahead of yourself here. What exactly have you closed either in a contest or an actual certification under cert conditions? Goals are great but need to be based on reality - I mean - how close are you on this?

Jordan - I love your attitude and your desire. I would set some quarterly goals for 2012. Ironmind #3 certification by the end of March (sounds like you should get this one pretty easily). Ironmind #3.5 by the end of June (not sure how close you are on this). After that I would start climbing the MM ladder and see how far you get. I would then use your MM progression to determine whether you think you have a decent shot at either one of the grippers you're inquiring about. Best wishes for success. I'll be rooting for you!

Jordan - I love your attitude and your desire. I would set some quarterly goals for 2012. Ironmind #3 certification by the end of March (sounds like you should get this one pretty easily). Ironmind #3.5 by the end of June (not sure how close you are on this). After that I would start climbing the MM ladder and see how far you get. I would then use your MM progression to determine whether you think you have a decent shot at either one of the grippers you're inquiring about. Best wishes for success. I'll be rooting for you!

This is good advice!

These threads are tiresome because there is no evidence that you're within striking distance of grippers that are many levels below the #4 or GHP L9.

Didn't you say the same thing about Silverbackgrip? Within a years time he proved ALL the haters wrong. Granted he hasn't closed the #4 yet, but he HAS posted some incredible vids. What he has done is given others hope.

To answer the question, I would go for the CoC #4. The GHP grippers, while being awesome and my favorite grippers at the moment, haven't been around long enough. A CoC #4 close is what a high % of gripper guys ultimate goal is.

Keep training, stay positive, and ignore all the negative comments.

Jordan, have you not closed a BBE yet becuase you don't have one? These threads are tiresome because there is no evidence that you're within striking distance of grippers that are many levels below the #4 or GHP L9.
Didn't you say the same thing about Silverbackgrip? Within a years time he proved ALL the haters wrong.

No.

And I don't think anyone is hating on Jordan. People applaud his "go get'em" attitude. But doesn't it make sense to move through a BBE close, then maybe a 3.5, then maybe a GHP L8, then maybe a BBSE, then maybe a BBGE, then maybe any #4, then maybe closing any of those with a CCS, THEN maybe talk about a #4 or GHP L9 cert......? :huh:

Jordan, have you not closed a BBE yet becuase you don't have one? These threads are tiresome because there is no evidence that you're within striking distance of grippers that are many levels below the #4 or GHP L9.
Didn't you say the same thing about Silverbackgrip? Within a years time he proved ALL the haters wrong.

No.

And I don't think anyone is hating on Jordan. People applaud his "go get'em" attitude. But doesn't it make sense to move through a BBE close, then maybe a 3.5, then maybe a GHP L8, then maybe a BBSE, then maybe a BBGE, then maybe any #4, then maybe closing any of those with a CCS, THEN maybe talk about a #4 or GHP L9 cert......? :huh:

I think that is a great progression and is exactly what I am trying to do in training. I'm constantly trying to move up in grippers once I have mastered a lower one. Its a really motivational way to train since it keeps me interested. Banging out countless reps on lower gripper is pretty boring to me and painful. Love the GHP grippers. I just got the level 7. It actually feels easier than the reported RGC rating I think because its so smooth. I might get a level 8 soon to see how it compares to my COC 3.5 which feels like a beast to me and even harder than MM3 replica. I probably got a really hard #3.5.

Your plan is to let other people, strangers who have no vested interest in you, set your goals for you? Anything they say or share on the gripper is hypothetical at best as they have not closed both grippers to have an informed opinion. This is how you are going to select your direction of training? Good luck with that,

That is very sobering Adam, and puts many things in perspective for me. Thank you, :) as usual your words echo a humbling wisdom. Basically, its at the point where by my 30th birthday in september this year I want to have one of these two down. And right now having just started to close the #3.5, I know both of these things are possible but not if I chase them both at the same time.

Jordan, only YOU can decide ultimately what it is you're trying to accomplish (goals) buddy.

Figure out what it is YOU would like to accomplish. Device a strategy (training program) based on

YOUR strengths and weaknesses, etc. and then pursue your goal(s).

There's nothing wrong with asking questions but in reality it's up to YOU to decide your direction

and plan of travel.

If I told you I believe your goal should be to close a COC#4 with a CCS by the end of 2012 and the way to accomplish this

is by doing strictly negative type work and then the next guy says I believe you can accomplish this in 6 months but by training with lighter grippers for hundreds of reps, who would you listen to and based on what?

Just trying to get you to think a little Jordan, that's all my friend. You have huge desire and motivation, now just come up with the "WHY" of your goal and the "HOW" will follow.

Take care my friend!

Thanks man :)

Yes, I don't own a BBE although I have tried one. I am not use to BB and the skew was totally different for me so where I am quite strong on the CoCs I am not the springs of other manufactures such as BB or Atomgripz are extremely challenging in areas I am not as strong in yet. Striking distance? I am talking about something 7 months down the road with serious focus work and diet change.

It's all hypothetical.

My take is that a 9 is a very hard 4. The medium set spread would probably make it as difficult as credit card setting an easy 4.

If there is no such thing as an "Easy 4" coming out of a package these days, then a certification on an IM Number 4 would be more difficult.

I don't expect any to agree with me, but, if you wanted an answer to your question, there it is.

And, if someone Certifies on a L9 before a CoC No 4, you read it here first.

I like the 1.5 inch rule, as that is what my set eventually evolved to (1 5/8ths actually) without studying anyone's technique, watching videos, etc.

My own personal take is that you should Certify on the 3 now. Otherwise, this reminds me of a 4:30 miler talking about breaking 4 minutes, but he officially has never broken 5 minutes. I never did break 4:30, as I caught Mono at 4:39 and never competed again. I can't ever say what I "coulda done", as I didn't. Certify before you injure yourself trying to close the 4.

Awesome that you are a runner! I did track in HS and I've been running as a hobby since I was 8. The fastest I ever got down too was 5:15 mile and that made my lungs burn! ha ha I met this new guy at a Marine Poolee function (before you ship off the recruiters get your a** in shape! so you don't fail) and he was blah blah blah I can run 3 miles in 14:45 which is a minute faster than 3x my greatest one mile split. While there are many people who are faster than I have been he certainly couldn't back it up after only a mile with some running and pushups etc. Ha ha ha good memories running. However I have met a guy who could do a 4:40 mile and he proved it and left me in the dust. I applaude you for being able to run that fast!

Thank you for the kind words and the advice. That sounds like a sage plan for success. Thanks again :)

is there any reason you haven't certed on the #3 yet?

Since its my first cert I am a bit nervous and I want to make sure I do it right so I won't be requesting a cert until I can close my #3 4-5 times with a CCS in a set. Right now I am doing singles and my PR is 2 reps with the #3 but as I've gotten weak with the CCS distance I think that I just need to focus a bit to be sure. The other reason is finding a ride to the nearest judge.

Didn't you say the same thing about Silverbackgrip? Within a years time he proved ALL the haters wrong. Granted he hasn't closed the #4 yet, but he HAS posted some incredible vids. What he has done is given others hope.

To answer the question, I would go for the CoC #4. The GHP grippers, while being awesome and my favorite grippers at the moment, haven't been around long enough. A CoC #4 close is what a high % of gripper guys ultimate goal is.

Keep training, stay positive, and ignore all the negative comments.

Silverback proved that in 7 months he went from a #2.5 CCS to a #3.5 and a GHP level 8. By now I imagine he is closing the #4 in a parallel set. Negative comments feed me. :) You aren't starting to get good if people don't starting to bring you down with negativity.

-Jorda

It's all hypothetical.

My take is that a 9 is a very hard 4. The medium set spread would probably make it as difficult as credit card setting an easy 4...that you should Certify on the 3 now. Otherwise, this reminds me of a 4:30 miler talking about breaking 4 minutes, but he officially has never broken 5 minutes. I never did break 4:30, as I caught Mono at 4:39 and never competed again. I can't ever say what I "coulda done", as I didn't. Certify before you injure yourself trying to close the 4.

Awesome that you are a runner! I did track in HS and I've been running as a hobby since I was 8. The fastest I ever got down too was 5:15 mile and that made my lungs burn! ha ha I met this new guy at a Marine Poolee function (before you ship off the recruiters get your a** in shape! so you don't fail) and he was blah blah blah I can run 3 miles in 14:45 which is a minute faster than 3x my greatest one mile split. While there are many people who are faster than I have been he certainly couldn't back it up after only a mile with some running and pushups etc. Ha ha ha good memories running. However I have met a guy who could do a 4:40 mile and he proved it and left me in the dust. I applaude you for being able to run that fast!

-Jorda

I WAS a runner. No more. What running has to do with grip for me is that with my running career, I never took things to the limit, never took things as far as I wanted, never got as good as I wanted. With grip, you can go a long time. Running and grip have little to do with each other in that respect.In other ways - - setting goals, working out hard, the sense of accomplishment - - there is much in common.

Edited by Hubgeezer

That is very sobering Adam, and puts many things in perspective for me. Thank you, :) as usual your words echo a humbling wisdom. Basically, its at the point where by my 30th birthday in september this year I want to have one of these two down. And right now having just started to close the #3.5, I know both of these things are possible but not if I chase them both at the same time.

and if you don't what then?

I believe goals set in this tone are slanted towards an unrealistic expectation.

You have no idea what will happen between now and then. To aim so high with such a tight time line is a set up for disappointment. Disappointment is the fruit of expectation. A slip and fall, a minor auto accident, a bad cut while doing yard work- so many things can slow you down. No one plans on getting hurt, but things happen. Why set such a tight time limit? turning 30? Plan on turning 31? what about 32? Will it really change anything if it happens at age 31.3 years old? :-)

First I answered with a question, now I will share my opinion- if you are ready for the #3, do it. If you are ready to climb the MM ladder- do it. Pick up the wins you can, when you can. As far as which gripper to do it with- thats kind of silly. Should I set my next Axle PR with my CAP plates or my FITNESS GEAR plates? No one cares about that. A gripper goal is only important to people who close grippers, and everyone here gets it when a BB SE is closed compared to a #4.

On the topic of 4's- the average #4 is 210-215 depending on who measures it, with some popping up over 220. Average COC 3.5 is 175-177 with a few 168's floating, and a few freak 185's. have you been able to close every single 3.5 you have tried? Have you been able to close a COC right out of the package? It is much harder on those first few reps. The jump from 3.5 to 4 is enormous. I know a lot of people who can bench press 405-415, I know only a few who can do a legit 500. You would think, "man you're with in 80%, close the gap" and they never do. variety of reasons could be cited, and I think the #1 thing relates to time.

look at grip contest numbers, the average mid level guy is 160's, and top guys still 180-190. That doesn't prove anything, but it does support a statement that bridging the gap seems to take time.

So get going on other gripper certs now, then you have things to do besides wonder/talk/think when that one day will come.

Last thought- The MM ladder truly is golden standard for certs. We all use the exact same gripper. no flukes, no "easy" ones, nothing can discredit the close when done according to official standards. unlike some others.....

I said it before in the last thread...you'll know what goal (gripper) you'll want to chase when the time comes. As it stands now, your future wants and goals can change. Most of us change what we're after. Keep training the way you are as long as you're making gains. When the gains cease you'll make the necessary adjustments, and for some it's changing up which set they use. And dude, collect the certs you can along the way. Many people have passed one up only to get injured and never return to that level again. It's really motivating to knock out cert after cert along the way. By the sounds of it you could do the #3 and MM1 and MM2 easy. Also it's a really good gauge to measure where you stand in regards to your goals. Grippers vary and knowing you certed a #3 out of the package or doing the MM2 which everyone agrees feels like a 164# elite is all valuable information that you'll want to gather and use in your gripper journey.

and if you don't what then? Failure doesn't mean defeat. A general who secures victory in war for his country will be heralded as a saint and nobody will remember if he lost 100 battles. I believe goals set in this tone are slanted towards an unrealistic expectation.

You have no idea what will happen between now and then. To aim so high with such a tight time line is a set up for disappointment. Disappointment is the fruit of expectation. True enough, but striving for excellence is motivating. A slip and fall, a minor auto accident, a bad cut while doing yard work- so many things can slow you down. No one plans on getting hurt, but things happen. Why set such a tight time limit? turning 30? Plan on turning 31? what about 32? Will it really change anything if it happens at age 31.3 years old? :-) I think I would be happy with a #4 cert if I was 45.

First I answered with a question, now I will share my opinion- if you are ready for the #3, do it. If you are ready to climb the MM ladder- do it. Pick up the wins you can, when you can. As far as which gripper to do it with- thats kind of silly. Should I set my next Axle PR with my CAP plates or my FITNESS GEAR plates? Yes, however the difference from the CCS cert and the MMS or 1.5" cert are in my mind significantly further apart that simply one brand or another with plates. Perhaps you are referring to the two brands. In which case as I mentioned earlier, a CoC is not like a BB or an RB or an Atomgripz so I don't know if that is a just comparison: plates to springs. No one cares about that. A gripper goal is only important to people who close grippers, and everyone here gets it when a BB SE is closed compared to a #4.

On the topic of 4's- the average #4 is 210-215 depending on who measures it, with some popping up over 220. Average COC 3.5 is 175-177 with a few 168's floating, and a few freak 185's. have you been able to close every single 3.5 you have tried? Have you been able to close a COC right out of the package? It is much harder on those first few reps. The jump from 3.5 to 4 is enormous. I know a lot of people who can bench press 405-415, I know only a few who can do a legit 500. You would think, "man you're with in 80%, close the gap" and they never do. variety of reasons could be cited, and I think the #1 thing relates to time.

Well Adam, I've yet to get it calibrated but I am sure that it is easier than most #3.5s and is certainly no match for one out of the package. I had it in a choker at less than 1" for over 6 months, so I would imagine that is has seasoned considerably. Calibrated grippers are not the whole story however. And that was made obvious to me when I tried to close a BBE and failed to do so when I am only a month later closing a #3.5 at around 37mm (an estimation of the handle spread based on where I am with 30mm block and the 40mm block). Anyway, since I only train with my CoCs I need to get more grippers to get use to training with a BB or a different brand.

look at grip contest numbers, the average mid level guy is 160's, and top guys still 180-190. That doesn't prove anything, but it does support a statement that bridging the gap seems to take time.

So get going on other gripper certs now, then you have things to do besides wonder/talk/think when that one day will come.

Last thought- The MM ladder truly is golden standard for certs. We all use the exact same gripper. no flukes, no "easy" ones, nothing can discredit the close when done according to official standards. unlike some others.....

-Jordan

I said it before in the last thread...you'll know what goal (gripper) you'll want to chase when the time comes. As it stands now, your future wants and goals can change. Most of us change what we're after. Keep training the way you are as long as you're making gains. When the gains cease you'll make the necessary adjustments, and for some it's changing up which set they use. And dude, collect the certs you can along the way. Many people have passed one up only to get injured and never return to that level again. It's really motivating to knock out cert after cert along the way. By the sounds of it you could do the #3 and MM1 and MM2 easy. Also it's a really good gauge to measure where you stand in regards to your goals. Grippers vary and knowing you certed a #3 out of the package or doing the MM2 which everyone agrees feels like a 164# elite is all valuable information that you'll want to gather and use in your gripper journey.

Those Daniel are some excellent words of wisdom. I will do my best to apply them. Honestly, I think I could get a #3 cert but it might take me all day (if at all) if I got a 157lb #3 out of the package. The MM1 and MM2 I've been told I should be able to do. Daniel, you are a really great guy man. I find that you really go the extra mile to help people out and that makes your posts awesome to read. :)

Thanks again man :),

Jordan

Those Daniel are some excellent words of wisdom. I will do my best to apply them. Honestly, I think I could get a #3 cert but it might take me all day (if at all) if I got a 157lb #3 out of the package. The MM1 and MM2 I've been told I should be able to do. Daniel, you are a really great guy man. I find that you really go the extra mile to help people out and that makes your posts awesome to read. :)

Thanks again man :),

Jordan

Thank you Jordan. That means alot. So many people have helped me and continue to do so. This is how I give back.

dude you will smash the MM1 and MM2 certs. after i missed my 2nd MM1 cert (which stung pretty bad) i told Eric and Paul that i wouldnt even attempt it again untill i can MMS my 3.5. they both told me that would be overkill for the MM1 AND MM2... lol so based off of the fact that you can close a 3.5 pretty regular, i would say start up that MM ladder now, and start layin' some certs to rest. im just sayin'.. :cool

I can't close it fairly easily yet. It is still too hard to be my working gripper such as my #3 but I am starting to get there now. Thank you for the kind words though I believe my actual ability is beneath what you are equating. You don't have to be closing the #3.5 before you get the MM1 buddy, but you should be able to consistantly rep a harder #3. If I can encourage you I heard a story about Robert "The Bruce" who was one of scottland's hero's. Robert had lost his 6th straight battle to the forces of Edward the Longshanks and was running away (or so the story goes) and hid in an old abandoned house inside of a large clay oven. Inside he watched this tiny spider attempting to make a web over the opening in the front of the stove. He watched it try 6 times in a row to swing across only to fail each time and again and again climb up and start over. On the 7th try the spider made it to the other side and weaved a beautiful web over the entire enterance of the oven. The english came and were going to search the stove but one said "look there is a web there nobody has been here in weeks! We have to get back to scouring the country side etc and they left and after they were gone bruce steeled himself and left. And he raised the men for another engagement and on the 7th battle...he won! And Scottland became a free nation which has remained to this day. Failure doesn't matter what matters is do you pick up yourself after a fall, or do you lay there in despair? :) I hope that little story motivates you to get that MM1 because you must be close. Best wishes in your training.

-Jordan

you mentioned having some issue with getting to a judge for a #3 cert. my understanding is that ironmind has a pretty good web of people who can serve as judges if your willing to contact and try to work with them.

you mentioned having some issue with getting to a judge for a #3 cert. my understanding is that ironmind has a pretty good web of people who can serve as judges if your willing to contact and try to work with them.

I only need to get a ride 45 minutes away at Paul's house as I am sure that would be the nearest logical pick. The issue is the ride for me and also I want to get Paul and Eric's opinion before I request a certification.

-Jordan

• Like 1

Jordan,

You are the guy at the bottom of Mount Everest constantly talking about which way he should do the final ascent. The minor leaguer talking about if he should win the World series with a homer to right field or to left. It might just be me, but there is something about that kind of talk that irks me. Meanwhile guys right near the top don't talk about it, they just train for it or DO IT.

There are quite a few guys on this board that absolutely toy around with Coc #3 like its a Trainer- yet I dont hear them talking about "I will be the first to certify the #4 and no cert is really that elite in my opinion compared to that" "I want to hold shut a 282# gripper" "Should I do GHP 9 or a #4 cert"

They also don't announce these goals, and then consider changing that goal a bit later based on the opinion of people on a forum.

Realistically, you are not yet an MM1 (or MM0 for that matter) talking about doing all this stuff beyond MM7.

If your not ready to cert the #3 for whatever reason right now, why is there post after post about these truly phenomenal hypothetical closes, which you honestly are not even in the ballpark of?

I don't like coming off as the jerk, but honestly I've just heard so much fanciful talk and no real results/proof/certs. I think its actually a bit of an insult to guys on the MM ladder, or those who have a #3, #3.5 cert who have trained so hard, put their money where their mouth is and worked their way up a super difficult ladder- to have you speak about stuff even beyond that without trying your hand at any of it as well.

I've said it on another post and will say it again- Let your grip do the talking. I would love nothing more than you to shut the #3 MM1, MM2 and beyond right in my face here. I feel you should respect the road some have traveled, travel it as well and only then think about besting them all. You seem like a nice guy, and a positive attitude is great as is having high goals- but its all talk so far. I'm not saying you can't achieve something, but just come on and close some grippers without the run around.

Just work and do it.

• Like 4

Jordan - It's good to set yourself high goals, otherwise you will not reach high accomplishments but certain things need to be long term, it doesn't come by the day. If your not sure you can cert no3 you really arnt anywhere close to certing no4. Silverbacks progress may be better than most but that was basically from his starting point. This is not the same for you. When I started I went from not being able to close no1 to no setting no3 in roughly a year, but this could never have been on going. I would say try for no4 deep set close for September instead. Then after this you can start to think about ccs and certification. Best of luck.

It is thanks to guys like you Jordan that old and weak people like myself can slowly (as in very slowly) approach and overtake competitors one-by-one by simply setting very achievable goals. If you make unrealistic goals all the time you will loose the spark sooner or later or get injured. My goal for 2012 is get my overall grip 2 % stronger than last year. A miniscule gain but a gain nonetheless if I am successful. If you repeat that year after year you will eventually find yourself ahead of most. Grip strength is partly in the tendons and real gains come slowly in this area.

Edited by Mikael Siversson