How Long Will It Take Me To Close The #3

abcampbell

My name is Alex Campbell and I am new to the site. I have been gripping the CoC's for over 3 years. I started with the 1 which I could not close the first time (was able to close it ina few weeks), moved to the #2 which I was able to close after a few months, got the 3 which I was not eve close, got the 2.5 and was able to close it over a year ago.

Now I am back ont eh trail of hitting the #3. I was shy of getting to parallel, so I decided to try an high volume routine of a #2 close every hour for 8 hours straight 5 days a week. It got me to past parallel. That routine stalled out and I actually started to regress after several months.

I have been using a 3 day routine of max attempts, over crushes, and negatives. I have also been taking my max attempts (#3) with a choked gripper that was to where I coud squeeze it without a clamp (just past parallel). I have been doing this for less than 2 months.

I took of the clamp this week and was able to close the #3 to 8mm using the IM measuring tool.

HOw much longer until I can close it? WIll it be weeks, months, years?

I will also say that I have been doing bending work on Sat, some pinch work after gripper on Wed. Rehab stuff 1-2 days a week (extension bands, ball squeezes, etc.)

MY new year's resolution was to close the #3 and it seems I have been working so long to just go from just beynd parallel to 8mm, but I also know as that springs spreads it gets tougher.

Thanks

There is no good answer for how long. It's up to you and what you're capable of. It took me 2-3 years of dedicated training. I lived and breathed grippers and constantly tried to learn anything I could. It has taken 8-10 years of dedicated work for some. Other guys close it on their first try.

What I would recommend is going to twice per week. File your #2. If you're closing your #2.5 start filing the handle on that too. Put down the #3 for a while. You shouldn't be working with anything harder than a filed 2.5 in my opinion.

There is no good answer for how long. It's up to you and what you're capable of. It took me 2-3 years of dedicated training. I lived and breathed grippers and constantly tried to learn anything I could. It has taken 8-10 years of dedicated work for some. Other guys close it on their first try.

What I would recommend is going to twice per week. File your #2. If you're closing your #2.5 start filing the handle on that too. Put down the #3 for a while. You shouldn't be working with anything harder than a filed 2.5 in my opinion.

^+1

Edited by daniel reinard

I guess to be more specific I would say how long to finish the last 8mm on that gripper? If your answer is still "it varies widely between people" then I understand.

Does everyone feel I should not be using a 3? I can hammer a #2.5 all day long, but that jump to the 3 is just insane. It seems that choking the 3 for the past 6 weeks helped me more than anything I have done in the past.

I do not really want to file my #2 or 2.5, but I do have a 250 heavy grip that I would not mind filing. It is about like a 2 in my opinion (maybe a tad less).

I would be interested in any other posts about whether I should use the 3 or not. Should I test with it every few weeks, do negatives with it, etc?

Daniel & Cannon - not to hijack this thread, but about how many closes should one be achieving in a workout before they file the gripper?

Also, how far down should the handle be filed?

My apologies if there is a FAQ on this, but it seems in line with this thread.

I guess to be more specific I would say how long to finish the last 8mm on that gripper? If your answer is still "it varies widely between people" then I understand.

Does everyone feel I should not be using a 3? I can hammer a #2.5 all day long, but that jump to the 3 is just insane. It seems that choking the 3 for the past 6 weeks helped me more than anything I have done in the past.

I do not really want to file my #2 or 2.5, but I do have a 250 heavy grip that I would not mind filing. It is about like a 2 in my opinion (maybe a tad less).

I would be interested in any other posts about whether I should use the 3 or not. Should I test with it every few weeks, do negatives with it, etc?

My fastest progression came by buying gap grippers. I used my RB240 and Beef builder Grand master to bridge the gap between the #2.5 and #3. I also own a vulcan V2 which I micro load with rubber bands in order to make the transition between levels. It can get expensive but owning gap grippers and an adjustable like the vulcan is great if you don't want to file your grippers. I like challenging myself by constantly moving up in grippers or raising the level on my vulcan. High reps with a lower gripper don't work well for me. High reps tear up my skin and seem to work more endurance. I stick in the 1-3 rep range, but focus on heavy mms singles.

First Congrats on the 2.5 close. That is a gripper that a lot of people can’t close. You may be able to close a #3 today. What I mean is you may have a freak hard #3.

I took a lot of time getting my #2.5. I was frustrated because I was able to close a hard # 2.5 at the Cactus Shoot comp but was way off from a close on my # 2.5. I built a gripper calibrator and found out I had a 2.5 gripper that was nearly as hard as a #3 @146 pounds RGC.

No matter were you are don’t worry about strength regression. It is just part of grippers. Just change up your routine and try new things. If you keep at it you will be able to close any #3. Keep in mind your #3 may be like a 3.5!

Daniel & Cannon - not to hijack this thread, but about how many closes should one be achieving in a workout before they file the gripper?

My opinion is that any gripper you can close consistently should start getting filed. (although we all have keepsakes we would never file.).

You can go about half way through the handle before it stars getting nasty. Do a little at a time so that the gripper remains challenging to close.

I would only work with the #3 if after you force an attempt shut it doesn't pop open more than about 1/8".

Also here is a recent Tweet by Adam Glass who makes startling gains ALL THE TIME. I feel it echos what Chez said:

“@Adamtglass: @GRIPMASH I observe greatest gain in % fm largest population w/ high volume / moderate resistance &high frequency. Do it often = more PRs”

Having said that, a negative-crush with a filed gripper I think is one of the best exercises, which is how Adam's response came up. For this you would use a FILED gripper you can ALMOST close or only can't close because it's the end of your workout. The idea is to be crushing your brains out beyond the range on a near-max gripper where the gripper would be closed during the crush if it were not filed. If it pops open more than that then it's too heavy or you should end the workout. I like to do 2-4 of these at the end of a workout. I use a filed BBGM that I can usually close fresh.

Thanks for all of the helpful information.

IN response to Tim, I assume you are talking about the set in my hand and I did a credit card close of the #3 when I got it to 8 mm. I always try to use a set when I grip, but I always start from 2 inches (Of course when I am using the choked gripper that would be a no).

Chex, thanks for th einfo and I might try and get one of those grippers. I remember thinking about a year ago that the difference between the 2.5 and 3 were insane and I wish IM made 2.75.

RichAZ, how can I measure my gripper to see if it is harder or easier than the average?

Canon, excellent advice about how to know when I am ready for the #3.

My opinion is that any gripper you can close consistently should start getting filed. (although we all have keepsakes we would never file.).

You can go about half way through the handle before it stars getting nasty. Do a little at a time so that the gripper remains challenging to close.

I would only work with the #3 if after you force an attempt shut it doesn't pop open more than about 1/8".

Thanks Matt. This is very helpful information. I can close my #2 anywhere from 3-6x per hand, depending on how I feel. I'm thinking of progressively filing my #1 and doing more strap holds with it. I came within 1mm of closing my #2.5 the other day CCS. It's always that last 1-3 mm's that always halts my hand, so I think filing will improve my strength in that range of motion.

I'll try to chime in some too, with what I found good for my gripper development.

Put your griptraining (this can even be applied to weightlifting too) in different blocks. I usually stick with two types of blocks, volume and intensity. Each block can be around a month each.

I'll try to explain how it usually looks for me with these blocks and gripper training. We start of with the volume block.

Volume block:

Choose a gripper that you can do like 5-8 reps with. Do five sets with that gripper and try to get as many reps as possible each set, add all the reps together so you can keep track on your progress. Repeat this every fifth or fourth day. If you feel fully recovered you can shorten the rest period with a day or two. When you concistently get a total of reps over 35-40 it's time to step up to a harder gripper.

Intensity block:

Work up to a near goal gripper, then switch over to do negatives with a filed gripper. The gripper should be on the harder side of your goal gripper. Do 3-5 negatives, the quality of the negatives is very important. If it opens up too much, too soon after you let go with the other hand it's a bad attempt qualiy wise. Every negative single you do, should take atleast five seconds. I usually try to hold the gripper closed for a couple of seconds before I slowly starts to let the gripper open up. Be prepared for the pain! Try to do this every fourth to fith day.

I hope this helps! It isn't that much volume, but when you throw in some additional grip exercises, and full body training, you'll see that you won't need much more either. :)

I am close to closing my #3, and like mentioned above, some people have very hard #2.5s. I can't close my 2.5 all the time, and I feel like it's really close to my #3, so I purchased several in between grippers to fill the gap.

As Chez mentioned, it's nice to close grippers often, so when you close the gap grippers, it keeps you motivated and IMO, moving faster toward the goal gripper, the #3.

Pick up a Vulcan if you can. There is an active thread with information about them. An order was just shipped to the States, so see if Jedd still has some extras.