The Shoggoth Basement

Shoggoth

I've been to 6 or 7 chiros over the years, for all kinds of stuff. I kept holding out hope, seeing one for awhile ... realizing I was not getting any real benefit, then moving on--but still "hoping." About two years ago, I found a local guy who passed my "good chiro test." I asked him what he thought about heavy lifting. When he didn't give me "The Lecture," I knew this might work out well. Anyway, he did a lot of stuff that the others didn't attempt. Seemed more cutting-edge and even aggressive in trying different things.

I went to him for deadlifting (lower back) issues, bending issues, and even trap/neck problems, all of which he made a difference, and got me back training quicker than I would have expected (after having had similar issues in the past). Good chiros are definitely out there. It's just really tough to find them!

• Like 1

my severance will basically just be a huge bonus to help with my retirement haha! Here's to hoping.

That exact scenario happened to me in 2013. I sure didn't realize it at the time, but getting laid off was a blessing in disguise; ended up with a new truck and a better job. It can happen! Hope things work out for you.

• Like 1

my severance will basically just be a huge bonus to help with my retirement haha! Here's to hoping.

That exact scenario happened to me in 2013. I sure didn't realize it at the time, but getting laid off was a blessing in disguise; ended up with a new truck and a better job. It can happen! Hope things work out for you.

Thanks dude. I had to explain to my dad yesterday that the severance is there to pay for my living expenses while I look for work and if it goes into savings that's a bonus.

December 13, 2015

Afternoon

Back is still feeling off even with the chiropractor. Seems he can't hit/crack the right spot and it's been a few visits now. Mentally I'm still off as well so I'm going to approach my squatting a little different than Jesse's program as that's a pretty good mental challenge as well. Going forward for a bit I'll use Chad Smith's strength block protocol of the twice a week, light-medium-heavy, 70-85% squatting.

High Bar Squat - not sure what my 1RM is for high bar so I figured 85% of my low bar as a place to start.

45 x 4 x 3r

135 x 3

225 x 2

275 x 2

315 x 4 x 6r

High Bar Paused Above Parallel - just used 80% of my rep weight. Used an 18" box to lightly touch to judge height.

255 x 3 x 6r

Reverse Hyper

90 x 20

https://instagram.com/p/_P9wwPymID/

December 14, 2015

Before Supper

Week 6.

Bench Press - All paused except for the 5 x 3r's.

45 x 3 x 8r

135 x 5

185 x 3

225 x 2

275 x 1

300 x 1

320 x 1

285 x 5 x 3r

Seated DB Shoulder Press w/o back support

65e x 3 x 10r

Rear Ring Flies

BW x 3 x 10r

Banded Lat Pulls ala Raleigh Barbell

Avr x 3 x 10r

BB Row

225 x 2 x 15r

Well I don't know if it's due to the pre-exhaustion or what but after that couple of sets of rows my whole upper back is super pumped.

I'm too beautiful so a mirror would be too distracting haha!

• Like 4

December 16, 2015

Afternoon

Medium squat day and pulls. Wanted to do a little work from the floor and the triple was pretty easy.

High Bar Squat - feeling better. Very light on my back.

45 x 4 x 3r

135 x 3

225 x 3

275 x 1

315 x 1

340 x 4 x 5r

Pause Below Parallel Squat - HB

275 x 3 x 5r

Deadlift

135 x 3 x 2r

225/315/405/455 x 1

495 x 3

Snatch Grip Pulls - Index on Rings

235 x 3 x 10r

Reverse Hyper

90 x 2 x 20r

How are you liking the reverse hyper so far?

So far so good. Only complaint is squishing my gut while I'm on there haha! The true test will be after a few months of consistent use both with light "rehab" weight and heavier "training" weight.

• Like 1

That's exactly the reason why I don't have a gym mirror too... :laugh:laugh

That's exactly the reason why I don't have a gym mirror too... :laugh:laugh

It's our curse and our burden to bear big guy.

December 17, 2015

Afternoon

Week 6. Bench assistance. Probably going to start leaving the flat BB press out of my assistance days to give my shoulders a rest from getting torqued up. Can remember the last time I did incline pressing so I was just feeling the movement today.

45' Incline Press

45 x 3 x 10r

135 x 5

185 x 5, 10, 9, 7

Dip

BW x 5 x 10r - last set rest/paused

McGill NG Chins - D handle hanging from a daisy chain. Interesting.

BW x 2, 1, 1, 1

That's exactly why I had to take down your picture from the wall in my man-cave. It was just too distracting.

That's exactly why I had to take down your picture from the wall in my man-cave. It was just too distracting.

I'm so sorry David. It was probably useful for awhile to stare at while you leaned out. I know once I accidentally caught eye contact with myself in the bathroom mirror and lost a week until Gail and Marty pulled me out. Dropped 15#.

• Like 3

December 20, 2015

Before Supper

Heavy squat day. Day 3 of the rotation.

Squat

45 x 4 x 3r

135 x 3

225 x 2

315 x 1

365 x 1

405 x 3 x 4R

https://instagram.com/p/_iPsy5SmGF/

Pause Squat

335 x 2 x 4r

Reverse Hyper

90/180/270 x 10

360 x 10, 15

https://instagram.com/p/_iWjJ7SmCB/

• Like 1

Looking strong Jason!

Thanks bud! This summer I was probably capable of doing this with 465 but I've been doing a lot of lower weight, higher volume since then and this felt heavy. I need to get accustomed to heavier weight again it seems.

December 21, 2015

Before Supper

Week 7. Felt like hitting some extra reps on bench tonight instead of the triples that were called for.

Bench Press

45 x 4 x 8r

135 x 6

185 x 5

225 x 3

275 x 2

305 x 1

325 x 1

295 x 4, 4, 4, 4, 3 - left it on a crisp note

Seated DB Press - Unsupported

70e x 3 x 6r

Rear Ring Flies

BE x 3 x 10r

BB Row

235 x 2 x 12r

December 23, 2015

Before Supper

Light squats and pulls.

HB Squat

45 x 3 x 3r

135 x 2 x 3r

225 x 2

285 x 1

320 x 4 x 6r

HB Pause Above Parallel - rebound & pause - tough

255 x 3 x 6r

Deadlift

135 x 3 x 2r

225/315/405/455/495 x 1

1 Block Pulls

495 x 1

545 x 3

Snatch Grip Deads

225 x 2 x 15r

Reverse Hyper

90 x 30

https://instagram.com/p/_qAxo0ymHN/

• Like 1

December 24, 2015

Afternoon

Bench assistance.

45' Incline Press - titty pump

45 x 3 x 8r

135 x 5

185 x 5 x 8r

DB Row - Small plates - No straps

125e x 10, 10, 20

EZ Skullcrushers

85 x 2 x 15r

Reverse Hyper w/Strap - Between press sets

90 x 10, 10, 15, 15

December 28, 2015

Before Supper

3rd week. Threw in some grip work for something to do. Let's see if the spark ignites anything this time.

HB Squat

45 x 4 x 3r

135 x 3

225 x 2

275 x 2

315 x 1

345 x 4 x 5r

HB Pause Squat below parallel

275 x 3 x 5r

Reverse Hyper - 4' Strap

90 x 2 x 10r

180 x 10

270 x 10

360 x 3 x 10r

Grip between sets

Parallel Set Grippers

T x 2 x 10r

GHP5 x 3

IM2.5 x 2

GHP5 x 4 x 5r

IM3 x 1 right, 2mm left

https://instagram.com/p/_2tjL2ymIM/

Lovin the high bar squat work, are you feeling it more in the low back?

Don't feel it at all in the low back being more vertical. Gives me the opportunity to cook it on those reverse hypers in preparation for the low bar days. Realistically it's a lot more comfortable for me. I just don't move as much weight with it.

This little squat rotation is based on Chad Smith's strength block that he did a video on a few weeks back.

Lovin the high bar squat work, are you feeling it more in the low back?

I wish I had a way to do reverse hypers. They feel SO good. Never had access to a proper machine. But I did have an old piece of gymnastics equipment in my old gym that you could lean over and attach wrights to your legs and do them that way. Propably sounds like it would be akward but no, it really worked well for reverse hypers.

I wish I had a way to do reverse hypers. They feel SO good. Never had access to a proper machine. But I did have an old piece of gymnastics equipment in my old gym that you could lean over and attach wrights to your legs and do them that way. Propably sounds like it would be akward but no, it really worked well for reverse hypers.

I think they're doing a good job at strengthening the low back and erectors too. Get a great pump and feel great after. I think they'll help a lot as time goes.