The Shoggoth Basement

Shoggoth

August 10, 2015

Before Supper

Week 7. Gail came down and started to work with the weights again. Proud of her as it's big deal to come and get wobbly legs and try this stuff again in front of me. Built a really simple A/B workout with a hinge, press, pull, abs, and arm component. Everything for 3 x 8r although some are at 3 x 5r until she gets dialed in a bit. Progression will be based on bettering these reps for a bit.

Happy to hit another front squat PR with 365# x 1 with a belt and my TK sleeves. I'll back off from here to ramp up again over the next 8 week cycle.

Front Squat

45 x 4 x 3r

135 x 3

185 x 1

225 x 1

275 x 1

315 x 1

335 x 1

365 x 1

https://instagram.com/p/6OLFjKymNG/

Squat

225 x 2 x 4r

315 x 1

365 x 1

390 x 1 - didn't feel "right"

315 x 5 - nope. Hips don't like it today.

Hip Belt Squats

90 x 10

135 x 3 x 10r

Video for Geralt

August 10, 2015

Before Supper

Week 7. Gail came down and started to work with the weights again. Proud of her as it's big deal to come and get wobbly legs and try this stuff again in front of me. Built a really simple A/B workout with a hinge, press, pull, abs, and arm component. Everything for 3 x 8r although some are at 3 x 5r until she gets dialed in a bit. Progression will be based on bettering these reps for a bit.

That's awesome man. Good for Gail! You must be a heck of a motivator.

August 10, 2015

Before Supper

That's awesome man. Good for Gail! You must be a heck of a motivator.

Only took me a year since the last time I had her going down there haha! Biggest thing with her is to keep her engaged and not fighting herself with negative thoughts.

August 10, 2015

Before Supper

Happy to hit another front squat PR with 365# x 1 with a belt and my TK sleeves. I'll back off from here to ramp up again over the next 8 week cycle.

Front Squat

45 x 4 x 3r

135 x 3

185 x 1

225 x 1

275 x 1

315 x 1

335 x 1

365 x 1

Squat

225 x 2 x 4r

315 x 1

365 x 1

Hip Belt Squats

90 x 10

135 x 3 x 10r

Video for Geralt

Exceedingly fine work here!!

August 10, 2015

Before Supper

Front Squat

45 x 4 x 3r

135 x 3

185 x 1

225 x 1

275 x 1

315 x 1

335 x 1

365 x 1

Squat

225 x 2 x 4r

315 x 1

365 x 1

Hip Belt Squats

90 x 10

135 x 3 x 10r

Video for Geralt

Exceedingly fine work here!!

Thanks Matt! Just tinkering away. Looking for some back squat PR's next week.

• Like 1

August 11, 2015

Before Supper

Week 7. Well I missed my 4th rep on the first set. I think it's just too big of a jump for me. I was close though and held it for a bit. It would've been a 345 max based on the 4 so I went up to 305 for triples which would be 335 so well over 90% for my work sets.

I focused on my pauses more and went for way longer pauses with the 315's and they felt good. Tried 325 for a long pause but it was just to much at this point in my workout anyways.

Bench Press

45 x 4 x 8r

135 x 5

185 x 4

225 x 2

255 x 1

275 x 1

Start recording

300 x 3

305 x 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2

315 x 4 x 1r

CG Bench

225 x 3 x 7r

Giant Set

Body weight Skullcrushers x 3 x 20r

Face Pulls MM x 3 x 20r

Band Curl MM x 3 x 20r

• Like 4

Your bench is on fire!

I was thinking it was sucking so I punished myself with sets lol!

August 13, 2015

Before Supper

Week 7. Felt okay but the big lifts weren't there today. Might be mental and that I've lost 6# in the past week. Not the opportune time to diet in the last couple of peak weeks but I'm disgusted with being a fatty again. Time to drop to around 230 again.

I also think I need to play more at 90% plus with my pulls to feel the grind. When they start getting up there I just stall. Think I'll probably keep working at 90% and better with a couple of chains to help push my finish.

Warm-up within 10 minutes

Squat 45/45/95/135 x 5

Pulldown 150 x 15

Low Row 150 x 15

Deadlift

135 x 4, 3, 2

225 x 2

315 x 1

365 x 1

405 x 1

455 x 1

495 x 1

525 x 1

545 x 1

555 x F

495 x 3 x 1r

495 +1 chains x 1

495 +2 chains x 1

D Pulldowns

150 x 2 x 15r

D T-bar Row

135 x 2 x 15r

Crunches

BW x 2 x 25r

https://instagram.com/p/6V99hvSmOa/

• Like 1

Time to drop to around 230 again.

Don't do it. Team Not Shredded and Not Concerned needs you.

Time to drop to around 230 again.

Don't do it. Team Not Shredded and Not Concerned needs you.

But I'm currently on just the fat and hairy dude team. Be nice to look like I lift someday haha!

What is your plan of attack with the diet?

Right now:

Clean food

Roughly use Rennaissance Diet

8:00 scoop of whey

11:00 50g meat protein and 0-20g carb

2:00 50g pro and carbs based on Renn

4:00 25g pro and 50g carbs intra on training days, 50g pro & 20g car on non training

6:30-7:00 50g pro & Renn carbs training, 50g pro & Renn carbs non-training

On training days I may have a snack at night as I'm still dropping weight a bit to quick. When I start stalling I'll add activity rather than play with the food intake.

• Like 1

August 14, 2015

Before Supper

Week 7. Feel really beat up from yesterday's workout. Kept it minimal today.

Spoto Press - 3s Pauses

45 x 3 x 8r

135 x 5

185 x 3

225 x 2

250 x 6 x 4r

Paused KB Row - 3s

86 x 6 x 4r

Some clubbell work for my shoulders.

• Like 1

I think doing the above 90% on your deads might just be the ticket, at least for a while.

Those chain pulls with 495 looked brutal. Nice!

I think doing the above 90% on your deads might just be the ticket, at least for a while.

Those chain pulls with 495 looked brutal. Nice!

I think they can really help me dial in my form. If I do a few reps and add 5# a week for a bit when I take the chains off it should feel lighter where I need it. I hope anyways. Thinking about using Rex's deadlift program again. Worked well in the past.

• Like 1

August 17, 2015

Before Supper

BW 264.4# (started cut at 272.8# Aug 6)

Week 8. PR! Never tried to rep this weight before anyways. Basically it's a good job I've got a good GM to get that first rep. Energy waned quickly after that.

Squat - Belt & TK Sleeves

45 x 4 x 3r

135 x 3

225 x 2

315 x 1

365 x 1

405 x 1

445 x 1

470 x 1

495 x 2, 1, 1

405 x 1 - just didn't feel right. Not sore. Just "off"

Sissy Squat

BW x 3 x 10r

Seated Band Leg Curls

Avr + LT x 3 x 12r

• Like 1

NICE PR! Lot's of high percentages lately, I think I agree with your point about needing to "feel the grind" to get the max up.

NICE PR! Lot's of high percentages lately, I think I agree with your point about needing to "feel the grind" to get the max up.

Thanks bud! Especially on squats I think. They're such a mental lift that one rep can feel like that there's no way to get another but I can always get one more if I've got my head right. Deads definitely need the feel of good, heavy, slow pulls to get in the right headspace for PR's.

Great PR double and nice weight loss, too!

• Like 1

Great PR double and nice weight loss, too!

Thanks Eric!

August 18, 2015

Before Supper

Week 8. Crap bench day. Possibly due to pushing my squats yesterday and the continuing weight loss.

Going to deload from here through the next week.

Bench Press

45 x 3 x 10r

135 x 5

185 x 3

225 x 2

255 x 1

285 x 1

305 x 1

320 x 1

330 x F

315 x 1

295 x 6 x 2r

Incline DB Press

80e x 10

Well some thoughts on some new programming to work at some higher percentages and lower reps to coincide with the need to spare muscle, diminish glycogen/ATP need, and stay fresh.

Bench. Something I thought up a while back kinda based on some of Jake Sullivan’s programming that worked well for me a while back. Basically it'll be start with 7x3r with the last set pushed to an AMRAP, RPE9. Once I fail to hit the minimum reps on that set (3) I'll drop to 7x2r for the next week with the same philosophy and when that stalls out I'll go to 7x1r. This should get me to 95% plus at about 8 weeks. Deload the next week the attempt a new PR and take another run. Assistance will be upper back, triceps, deltas. For a second day I'll be working the Spoto, floor, and pin pressing.

Squats: I'll do it similar to the above but Jake’s method with only 3 worksite then dropping to some AMRAP at 85% of the working weight, pause squats, etc.

Deads. On of Rex's programs I've had success with before. I think I'll work my hook grip again. Looking back in my notes that's how I achieved my last PR. Pain makes me move haha!

Week 1: Work up to a 1RM, 5x1r with 90-95% of that days max

Week 2: Work up to a 1RM, 3x5r with 80% of that days max

Week 3: No reads, just back accessories

Repeat cycle twice more trying to add singles on week 1.

On the 2nd week of the 3rd cycle cut to 3x3r with 80% and no accessories.

Attempt a max on week 10.

Some kind of back work every workout and get some light farmers walks in every week.

That's the plan anyways.

• Like 1