74k 2hp Wr?

Mikael Siversson

I noticed on DH's WoG that Derek Graybill is listed as WR holder with an 80-something k lift done in 2009! It was the AZCG2 competition. I would be interested in learning about the details of the weigh-in proceedure (including scale used etc.).

This is a most odd way of introducing a brand new weightclass, digging up a three-year-old result.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Why wouldn't Derek's lift be a record as it was done on proper apparatus, and he weighed in. He was 72.5k.

Many contests have had their competitors weighed in.

It could I suppose but I would nonetheless like to hear about the scale used. Many people have been weighed at grip comps over the years but the question is whether or not it was done using a certified/calibrated scale. It is a most valid question given that this result was set back in 2009 when we did not have any weightclasses that required using certified/calibrated scales for the weigh-in (only for standardised lifting equipment).

Where are the contest results referenced? This is an awesome lift by Derek and a great start for the class if it stands.

• Like 1

I would not doubt the weight and lift. I have met Derek and he is not heavy and he is strong as hell.

I don't think you understand my issue here.

The rules stipulates the use of a certified or 'point calibrated' scale. The question is: did they use a proper scale for the weigh-in?

How about the grip collective grandfathering all the old contest lifts then we will have a starting point and take the scale issue away and we can just move forward from here. I highly doubt that any one was using point calibrated scales awhile back. But records a made to be broken so old the old records are not going to stand forever. Did the collective talk about this idea before it becomes a problem?

If they did not use a calibrated scale the 'record' has no validity in my mind. The grip collective gives recommendations. The plan is to give the sport more legitimacy, conforming in some regards to PL. Using non-calibrated/non-certified scales for weigh-ins is not going to give our sport the legitimacy we seek.

I hear ya but they are setting the rules right now. Why don't you see if they need someone to help with the lists, to sorta double check everything, you could email all the old promoters about the weigh ins and what not.

I'm sorry I just don't think we should start from scratch. How about suggesting a notation for nominal weigh ins or something, I mean eventually, all the old records will dissapear as new ones replace them on top 50 lists. They will slowly dissapear.

Please don't forget many of us feel this is a blue collar sport. And some may not feel there is no validity to the lists if they if done this way. Beside thee haven't been many complaint s after all these years.

There's give and take you know.

We don't have to start from scratch but we have to have the same rules. If not, the grip collective will never hear the end of it. The 2009 'record' will be a 'disputed' record (assuming here of course that they did not use a calibrated/certified scale). Who would want to hold a disputed record?

We don't have to start from scratch but we have to have the same rules. If not, the grip collective will never hear the end of it. The 2009 'record' will be a 'disputed' record (assuming here of course that they did not use a calibrated/certified scale). Who would want to hold a disputed record?

I agree but, as soon as its broken it won't matter anymore, it s just a starting point that's the way I see it. Just a starting point. His record will be broken. And now that we are moving on, the rest will be undisputed. I say let it stand till its beaten, and make a notation, it will give the guys something to shoot for at the next comp.

Parris

Guys - give us a break - we will address everything in due time. Your priorities may not be exactly what we think needs addressed in that same order - some things need done in a particular sequence as one builds on the next. Results from all past contests are not going anywhere - we will address this issue when that particular topic comes to the top of the list. The collective has to deal with different time zones and all the back and forth that is necessary to discuss and reach our decisions. Put all five of us in a room with a few beers and it wouldn't take long to get things done but that isn't going to happen here. But things are getting done - you guys voted us in and put your trust in us - that is something we are all taking very seriously - now please give us the time to do it as best we can. Throwing stuff together as fast as possible is not the answer to the problems.

Why the rush of digging up a three-year-old result and put it up as a WR (as it is listed as on WoG)?

I still have not received an answer to my very simple question. Maybe Aaron could answer it? At this stage I must interpret the silence as an admission that the weigh-in procedure was not up to an acceptable standard.

Sounds good Chris. I pushed and pushed for this collective, and I got it after much lobbying on my part. I'm happy with whatever comes from it. I know the best minds are at work on this.

Parris

I have removed Derek's lift, and will review it when further info comes forward.

It was me who put it up.

Now as Chris says, let us get on with what we have to. There are still a lot of matters on the table, and it takes a lot of emails back and forth, etc.

Why the rush of digging up a three-year-old result and put it up as a WR (as it is listed as on WoG)?

I still have not received an answer to my very simple question. Maybe Aaron could answer it? At this stage I must interpret the silence as an admission that the weigh-in procedure was not up to an acceptable standard.

Has anyone directly contacted Aaron on this? It is possible he hasn't read this thread. I have a two-day-old email in to him which i have not received an answer to yet, so he may be travelling or something without access to the net.