Will Your Hands Get Any Thicker From Grip Training.

Jones1874

Wolfe's Law: tissue will adapt to the stress place upon it

The best explanation for doing severe negatives, in only one sentence :)

RT.

Many here will argue that point. Severe negatives can actually do more harm than good for a large majority of grip enthusiasts. If you are not a seasoned grip athlete the stress of severe negatives will deteriorate the tendon/ligament tissue beyond recovery and becomes tissue with slower progression. Also, recovery times will increase immensely, and catabolism will have a stronger balance during the 'recovery phase.'

Wolfes Law wasn't expressed with complete accuracy above. 'Adapt' isn't necessarily true. Depending on the direct stress of a system, a specific 'change' will happen, either good or bad, that is in correlation with the resulting disorder of internal structure.

The goal is to cause just enough stress to spark recovery in an anabolic state, but not to push the body so far into stress that the system will be down for a long time. (That is why professional body builders say to train for 45 minutes max per session because after that point muscle glycogen is depleted and you are doing more harm than good.) This is all proven biochemical topics.

Sean

May be I should have left the "severe" out :)

Anyway, thanks for replying!

RT.

Negatives in general are a bad idea. They lengthen the tissue under tension... which means they get thrashed. Have you ever done a 520 lbs squat when your best squat of all time was 480lbs? Doesn't sound like a good way to get up to 520lbs. If you are forced to train once a week or have to stop every month or so because of a new injury, then what are you going to look like in 10 years? Like the guy said before... you better be in the long haul and I would like to end that with otherwise you'll be forced to stop and have messed up hands to boot.

Yes, at least for some people: Joe Kinney said he outgrew his work gloves as he was training to close the Captains of Crush No. 4 gripper (did OJ Simpson's legal team give him a gripper to train on in jail?!).

I've been wondering for a while what Kinney works with? I guess you might know that. :)

Yes, at least for some people: Joe Kinney said he outgrew his work gloves as he was training to close the Captains of Crush No. 4 gripper (did OJ Simpson's legal team give him a gripper to train on in jail?!).

I've been wondering for a while what Kinney works with? I guess you might know that. :)

This was from when Joe was cutting a lot of firewood.

I see, what other kind of jobs have he had? If you happen to know.

Edited by Norden

With the exception of the thumb pad, which i know people have said got thicker from pinch training, will the fingers / palm of the hands get a bit thicker.?

I havent been into grip training very long, and i plan on sticking to it regardless of whether my hands get thicker or not. just curious to whether the hands change much.

Thanks in advance.

Alex, the overall thickness of your hands is determined by your genetics.

The reason grip training specifically doesn't thicken your hands is due to the neurological response

grip training induces. This response is called rate coding or rate of force development, ROFD. Here's a video where

I try and explain this neural response. I write much better than I speak so please excuse any repeated ramblings. LOL!

BTW, rate coding applies to small muscles like the ones in your hands and fingers and rate coding is at its best in the tiny

muscles of the eyes.

Lastly, if Joe Kinney outgrew his gloves it wasn't from hypertrophy in his hand and finger musculature. It was more than likely due to

inflammation induced from all the high volume and negative type training he did weekly. Also, it's worth noting that the extreme training

concepts that Joe Kinney employed are not for the majority. Most people I know that have incorporated his training ideas have ended up

severely over trained or injured. Notice I said most, not all. The reason why is too lengthy to write here.

Hope this helps you Alex!

Beside grip this kind of manual work is the most important factor to get bigger hands. Most of my grip work is pretty intense but the volume work is done in the forest.

Wolfe's Law: tissue will adapt to the stress place upon it

Not quite correct. Wolfe's Law relates to bones, not soft tissue. Wolfe's Law is essentially the observation that bone changes its external shape and internal (cancellous) structure in response to stresses acting on it. Julius Wolfe was way ahead of his time in my opinion concerning functional anatomy, particularly bones.

I've said it before but I will say it again Mighty Joe aka: Doctor Grip :) always enlightens us with some solid science in regards to our sport, great post once again! You help take the myth out of the sport and that is important to me...

Yea, mine did.

Okay, Davis's Law says essentially the same thing about soft tissue. Also taking Wolff's and Davis's Law into account... I would say that over years of training the hands would become thicker.

• 9 years later...

I know this is an old posting however, I am really interested in starting out. I am primarily doing it for A.) Aesthetics B.) Health. I play guitar and work odd jobs on the side from time to time and I tend to beat up my hands i.e. high heat or using sharp objects with haste. I also would like to know more of the benefits and if I could know how to thicken up my hands over time like Tom. Well then, I am down to add that to my list of daily disciplines. I read that grip strength of men today has waned in comparison to preceding generations(on the whole). I also read that finger length can't be changed but rhe overall size of one's hand could get bigger...and there is an example on this very thread. I appreciate whomever responds. Thank you very much.

Elias

The answer is definitely yes.  Especially the muscles of the hand. Do a google search on muscles of the hand.

• Like 3

I started doing a variation of nathan's plate curl, Halving the weight but using a 2nd plate of the same weight, My thumb pad absolutely blew up like a balloon

My palms and thumb pad have thickened over time but its slow going, been into grip less than 2 years now. I notice the most growth of the muscles on top of the hand in between the metacarpals. I can flex my hand and 3 bumps pop out. Also the meat between my index and thumb on the top side have noticeably grown  Especially if i put my hands flat on a table or something. My fingers have maybe increased a smidge.