How Many Days A Week Do You Train Your Grip?

Jones1874

I havent been into grip training very long, so i was just wondering how many total days a week you guys spend training your grip?

do you train your pinch, crush and supporting grip on the same day or seperate days?

and lastly, how many different grip tools do you use?

Thanks in advance.

I've only been training grip consistently for about 5 months now....but I had the same questions when I first started. The frequency of training seems to be different for everybody....some people seem to prefer doing a little bit almost every single day....some 3-4 days per week...some once or twice per week. I've found that two dedicated grip workouts per week works best for me.

I try and do a variety of exercises each workout (pinch, crush, support, etc.)....but I prioritize my exercises depending on what my specific goals are at any given time. Right now, trying to increase my crushing strength is taking priority over other aspects of my grip because I really want to get my MM0 cert.

As far as gripper tools....I became addicted pretty quickly....so I went from having nothing to having a nice little "grip gym" in a fairly short amount of time. Some of the toys I have are a complete set of all CoC grippers, Vulcan V2, wall mounted wrist roller, Elite FTS gripper machine, homemade axle (Ironmind Axle is on the way), Rolling Thunder handle w/loading pin, a sledge hammer, some pony clamps, an assortment of hex block weights up to 50lbs and a 50lb York blob.

It's going to take time to find out what works best for you, so experiment with all types of exercises and don't overtrain....it's easy to do too much too soon. Most importantly, keep it fun!

I like twice per week for pinch. Also twice per week for grippers, and I split grippers and pinch so that all the workouts can be focused and better. However I do sometimes train them together if I've run out of time for the week.

• Like 1

thanks for the reply. i think im gonna have to lower the amount of days im currently doing. up until my last session i didnt really have a routine for overall hand strength, i was only using my plate loaded gripper in a day on-day off fashion.

in my last session i did some pinch gripping with a 2x4 and loading pin set up, ive never done it before and its left my knuckles quite sore, so im definately gonna have to lower my training days in this keeps up.

at the minute my goal is to improve my crushing grip, but i want to get stronger thumbs in the process.crushing grip is the priority though.

i have a couple of grip tools to work with, its just figuring out how much volume to do with each of them. i own a robert baraban copy of Joe Kinneys Secret Weapon grip machine, a regular plate loaded grip machine, a homemade titan telegraph key, COC Trainer, #1.5 and the #2 (ive closed the 1.5 - nothing to write home about), i have some pinch blocks, and thats about it. i dont think i need any more than that. another thing i was thinking of doing, is finger lifts. their brutal. try them if you havent already. holding 11kg's with the pinky for 1minute is pretty painful.

im just gonna mix it up and see how i fair. i think im gonna do x3 grip sessions a week, looking something like this:

session 1:

- plate loaded gripper + optional negatives.

- pinch lift (or) titan telegraph key

- finger lifts (last 2 fingers)

session 2:

- plate loaded gripper

session 3:

- plate loaded gripper

- pinch lift (or) titan telegraph key

- negatives on Joe Kinneys Secret Weapon grip machine

I havent decided how many reps im gonna do on the 'Secret Weapon' just yet. the machine is brutal so il use my own judgement when i test it out next week.

That seems like a decent layout 'to me'. whether its good or not, hopefully il get some constructive feedback to point me in the right direction.

How does that look to you?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: after looking over the sessions i layed out. i think i might even cut the 2nd session out. that way i can up the intensity and have more rest time.

Edited by alexjones234

A couple comments on your routine....if you want to increase your crushing grip (i.e. - your performance on grippers), then you actually have to train with them...and I don't see that in your routine. There's nothing wrong with using a plate loaded gripper machine in your training....but I think many here on the gripboard would agree that there's not necessarily a huge carryover from the gripper machine to gripper performance. Also, in my opinion I would avoid finger lifts....risk is greater than reward unless you're an experienced lifter and looking to break some sort of single finger lift world record or something.

Also remember....."block weights = hand strength"....go get some and get started.

A couple comments on your routine....if you want to increase your crushing grip (i.e. - your performance on grippers), then you actually have to train with them...and I don't see that in your routine. There's nothing wrong with using a plate loaded gripper machine in your training....but I think many here on the gripboard would agree that there's not necessarily a huge carryover from the gripper machine to gripper performance. Also, in my opinion I would avoid finger lifts....risk is greater than reward unless you're an experienced lifter and looking to break some sort of single finger lift world record or something.

Also remember....."block weights = hand strength"....go get some and get started.

glad you put it to me straight. saves me wasting time / getting nowhere fast. ok, il take your advice and scrap the finger lifts. in your previous post you said you owned a Vulcan V2.. i use to own a similar one made by Robert Baraban, the worst part of it is i sent it back because the handle was a bit slippery, not realising i could use chalk at the time.. i really wish i still had one. for now, im gonna set the plate loaded gripper aside and start using the COC grippers more frequently. in conjunction with my secret weapon gripper i should see results and a much quicker rate.

thanks for the input.

Edited by alexjones234

I hated my Vulcan V2 when I first got it.....the handles were (are) slick....and the thing was damn near impossible to set for me at the time....it was very discouraging. However, with a little help from the guys here on the gripboard and learning the in and outs on how to get a good set.....it's my favorite training tool and has improved my set with TSG's dramatically. I highly recommend buying one.

I hated my Vulcan V2 when I first got it.....the handles were (are) slick....and the thing was damn near impossible to set for me at the time....it was very discouraging. However, with a little help from the guys here on the gripboard and learning the in and outs on how to get a good set.....it's my favorite training tool and has improved my set with TSG's dramatically. I highly recommend buying one.

I agree. Training with the Vulcan was so fustrating when I started. I think alternating between training crush with the Vulcan and TSGs has helped me make the fastest progress. The Vulcan is great for improving set and sweep strength while TSGs are great for improving closing strength. TSGs ramp up at the end while the Vulcan is harder at the start so you get the best of both worlds by training with both.

Edited by Chez

I train grip 5-6 days a week. I am obsessed and need to dial it back. I use grippers, fat bars, rolling thunder, and eagle loops. I have definitely gotten stronger since I started about 7 months ago. As the loads have gone up I think I need to dial back the frequency. I have kinda plateaued.

What are block weights?

TSG = Torsion Spring Gripper

The most common type of gripper. Handles set in a A position with a wound spring joining the handles. Tension is created by torsion vs extension like the Vulcan, Super Gripper, etc.

(null)

I train grippers once per week, pinch once per week (not really every week though lol), and a short but sweet complex with a wrist roller, rotational exercise and reverse curls on upper push/pull day. I make gains very fast training more frequently but I wind up getting hurt. Like one of the other members said, you must find what works for you... if 1 day a week isnt working, try two.. if working simply on pinch is not carrying over to TSG closes then add a gripper day... its all about how you recover and how you feel. If you wind up saying ok, I will workout monday and wednesday of every week, it simply wont work because a.) you might be tired or sore from gym workouts (if applicable), not fully recovered, or something in the schedule pops up.

When I set up my workouts, I just say I need to finish x,y,z this week but I do them on whatever day I can and feel like it. This way keeps me happy when at the gym./ working on grip and not pissed off because I either hurt myself or just want a day off.

Good luck!

Hi alexjones234,...you're planning for quite a share of negatives...not sure whether your tendons are strong from manual labor, so be careful on doing too many negatives too early out. Perhaps build a solid strength base gripperwise with your #1.5 and #2 first.

As for frequency, three times per week seems to work for most guys, should be OK.

Apart from finger and thumb training you could do some additional wrist training, like sledge levering, wrist curls or wrist roller, also work your extensors, Brookfield AND Heslep can't be wrong on that.

I'd suggest to add extensor work (with rubber bands) after each single finger/thumb training and add some wrist training (easiest setup for wristroller would be a broomstick with a plate and for levering a dumbbell loaded on one side, held on the other) on another day maybe or drom one finger/thumb day for it. Block weights are always a good idea, but be careful not to hyperextend the thumb, postpone any block-weight training if it doesn't feel 100% right!

Have fun!

thanks again for all the replies. pleanty of food for thought right there. i think the problem with myself and others new to the game, is getting to far ahead of ourselves wanted to do it all at once. nothing wrong with being enthusiastic but being over enthusiastic just leads to injuries etc. so thanks for putting things back into perspective.

i think im gonna pick up one of david hornes vulcan grippers soon, they seem to be a staple in most of the serious grippers routines around here.

I'd start off with three workouts per week and then bump it up or down, depending on such things as your motivation level and recovery speed.

Also, you might find that not all elements of your grip training need to be on the same schedule—you might train some more frequently than others, for example.

Probably the biggest danger when you begin is the temptation to overtrain grippers (in terms of volume and frequency)—grippers can be addictive and if your goal is increasing your strength, the most productive workouts will be high on the intensity scale.

Randall is correct... grippers are similar to your favorite foods... amazingly delicious and satisfying!

Only the days that end in Y

• Like 1

Why should you work your extensors? There is a million examples in the animal kingdom where muscle groups working in the opposite direction are at very different levels strength-wise. A crocodile's jaw muscles for example. Apes and monkeys don't train their extensors but yet they work their grip hard. Who do you trust, a chimpanzee or Brookfield?

... also work your extensors, Brookfield AND Heslep can't be wrong on that.

Why should you work your extensors? There is a million examples in the animal kingdom where muscle groups working in the opposite direction are at very different levels strength-wise. A crocodile's jaw muscles for example. Apes and monkeys don't train their extensors but yet they work their grip hard. Who do you trust, a chimpanzee or Brookfield?

Good One Mikael

Training extensors just helps stretch the flexors out. No need to go buck wild on it, just when things feels tight hit it to get blood flowing and stretch out the overworked muscles.

Rubber band extensors always cure my tennis elbow, which I get from too much climbing.

Rubber band extensors always cure my tennis elbow, which I get from too much climbing.

That's probably why your blob lifts are so amazingly good - all those slopers on the rock wall. Do the blob lifts contribute to the tennis elbow at all?

A big part of it is for muscle balance—it's kind of like the lifters who get back aches not because their lumbars are weak, but because their abs are, and the tennis elbow stuff alone makes a little extensor work one of the highest ROI forms of training a grip guy can do: this is low intensity stuff you can do anywhere and the payoff can be huge.

IMHO If Brookfield, Heslep and Strossen agree on something, it must be true—even if less evolved members of the animal kingdom haven't quite caught onto this yet.

That's probably why your blob lifts are so amazingly good - all those slopers on the rock wall. Do the blob lifts contribute to the tennis elbow at all?

They don't. Even face lifts don't bother it. Now that I climb less and grip more. I have to fight off golfers elbow (inside as suppposed to outside elbow).