Ghp Grippers Calibrated

macaz

You'd have to know if you oiled it or not otherwise you're spinning your wheels

Just dont have that good of memory. So the 3.5 is a lost cause. Anyway Im still interested in opinions on reps for seasoning and such.

In my experience, they lost some after about 100 reps but were constant from there. A couple things to keep in mind:

1. I foot seasoned them, not to be confused with foot stomping (this bends the spring and will ruin a gripper) but some claim this will have a different effect than chest crushing. I foot seasoned because I'm lazy and can't get too excited about anything closely related to bending

2. I don't own an RGC and when I seasoned them it was before they were calibrated so I can't provide you with before and after numbers. I can tell you the first #4 I bought went from me not even being able to chest crush it, much less set it , to getting it to 1/2" or so after 100 reps of seasoning.

3. If I owned an RGC I would do the following:

first: calibrate brandnew, unoiled gripper

second: oil and recalibrate

third: season 100 reps and recalibrate

I'd be curious to see if it's the oil, the seasoning, or both

They look great, Rich! Thanks for posting that. I really like the rounded ends.

That's not where I thought the numbers would shake out. Were you surprised?

Matt, what #'s did you expect to see?

Also, Rich doesn't mention if he pre-seasons before calibrating or just starts hanging

weight from the handle and see what happens.

I can only speak for myself but pre-seasoning seems to reduce #'s slightly in some cases

and significantly in others.

Not trying to start a debate. Just an observation.

How many closes would season a gripper. I know it is a hard thing to answer. Also how much of a drop is normal.

My 3.5 started out at 184 out of the package(cant remember if I put on oil on spring but I think I did) now it seems that it has lost a bunch of strength @178 after being mauled by Russ for a few months.

This will be interesting to see the results of. I really don't expect GHP grippers to change much if at all unless you heat the spring up and burn through the oil.

Just dont have that good of memory. So the 3.5 is a lost cause. Anyway Im still interested in opinions on reps for seasoning and such.

My HG300 seasoned on the first close. It was about as hard as a #3 and had a 2.5" spread. On the first close it never opened all the way again. The spread became 2" and the rating about like a #2. So I contacted HG and they sent me a now HG300 and also a free HG350. However the exact same thing happened to the new HG300. 2" spread and 118 rating after the first close. I know this is an anomaly, but I think that no two grippers are going season the same. I agree that 100 closes would probably even it out, even if it didn't change much after 1 or 20 or 40 or 62--or who knows when.

But as far as taking a rating before or after, jad made an excellent point that a well-oiled gripper in clean working order is a must.

My HG300 seasoned on the first close. It was about as hard as a #3 and had a 2.5" spread. On the first close it never opened all the way again. The spread became 2" and the rating about like a #2. So I contacted HG and they sent me a now HG300 and also a free HG350. However the exact same thing happened to the new HG300. 2" spread and 118 rating after the first close. I know this is an anomaly, but I think that no two grippers are going season the same. I agree that 100 closes would probably even it out, even if it didn't change much after 1 or 20 or 40 or 62--or who knows when.

But as far as taking a rating before or after, jad made an excellent point that a well-oiled gripper in clean working order is a must.

GHP Grippers will not change like that. Almost every cheap gripper I have closed took on a huge compression set. The last one was an HG500 that moved from wider than 3" to just under 2" after 2 closes. This has to do with inferior spring material and manufacturing. As long as GHP's stay oiled you should not see much variation from when you first take it out of the package.

GHP Grippers will not change like that.

I totally agree. Sorry if it seemed like I was suggesting they might. I've never had an IM or BB or RB gripper do that either.

I added the 1, 2, 3&8 on the list. The 4, 5&6 were all chest crushed 100 times which was a bigger pain than I thought it would be.

I was thinking about how the GHP7-9 had blue lettering at the bottom of the handles and the 4-6 had red and was wondering what color the 1-3 would be. I was thinking green would be good. Sure enough they showed up the next day and were in fact green.

GHP1=47.5

GHP2=62.9

GHP3=87.7

GHP4=92.8 after 100 Chest Crushes 92.4 = 99.5% retention

GHP5=112.3 after 100 CCs 112.0 = 99.7% retention

GHP6=135.0 after 100 CCs 134.5 = 99.6% retention

GHP7=149.1

GHP8=169.4

GHP9=226.3

My second calibrations are close enough that I have to say they retained full strength after the 100 CCs. The reason being that my rig is not accurate beyond +- 1 pound. I just thought it was interesting they were all about 0.5% lighter. :cool

Oh I just noticed my CCS sounds like credit card set, they are Chest Crushes CCs

wow, the jump between level 8 and 9 is huge

I added the 1, 2, 3&8 on the list. The 4, 5&6 were all chest crushed 100 times which was a bigger pain than I thought it would be.

I was thinking about how the GHP7-9 had blue lettering at the bottom of the handles and the 4-6 had red and was wondering what color the 1-3 would be. I was thinking green would be good. Sure enough they showed up the next day and were in fact green.

GHP1=47.5

GHP2=62.9

GHP3=87.7

GHP7=149.1

GHP8=169.4

GHP9=226.3

My second calibrations are close enough that I have to say they retained full strength after the 100 CCs. The reason being that my rig is not accurate beyond +- 1 pound. I just thought it was interesting they were all about 0.5% lighter. :cool

Oh I just noticed my CCS sounds like credit card set, they are Chest Crushes CCs

Thanks Rich - great data! Yes I agree the jump between 8 and 9 is big. I think you have an 8 on the light side and a 9 on the heavy side. It will be interesting to watch as others rate theirs. I'm also not surprised at the "seasoning" result. Usually a good spring will find home after 1 or 2 cycles and shouldn't move much after that.

GHP1=47.5

GHP2=62.9

GHP3=87.7

GHP7=149.1

GHP8=169.4

GHP9=226.3

Were they oiled for both calibrations and if not what were the pre-oil #s?

GHP1=47.5

GHP2=62.9

GHP3=87.7

GHP7=149.1

GHP8=169.4

GHP9=226.3

They come perfectely lubed with a thin clear oil.

GHP1=47.5

GHP2=62.9

GHP3=87.7

GHP7=149.1

GHP8=169.4

GHP9=226.3

That alone is impressive

GHP1=47.5

GHP2=62.9

GHP3=87.7

GHP7=149.1

GHP8=169.4

GHP9=226.3

That alone is impressive

Yes it is. Also it comes with a little desiccant pack in a sealed plastic bag, very nice. If anyone has not figured it out I really love the GHP grippers.

GHP1=47.5

GHP2=62.9

GHP3=87.7

GHP7=149.1

GHP8=169.4

GHP9=226.3

I wanted to lube them before packaging but found out during assembly that it was critical to lube them as part of our spring handling during the assembly process to ensure that the spread was consistent. The oil really is a high tech synthetic lube that is perfect for grippers. Lightweight with good affinity for metal so it stays in place. Like everything else with these grippers even the oil was a painstaking process to get right.

Wade, I received my 6 and 7 last week and they are great!! Just ordered a 5 and 8. I hope that you consider making a 5/8" or similar version once things catch up.

$7 display for the GHP series. Has one spot open for the 10.

This was hard to photograph since the flash just bounced back.

gallery_19587_1292_169192.jpg

gallery_19587_1292_169192.jpg

Looks good Rich. I found the best pics of my diamond plate gripper display was with no flash.

$7 display for the GHP series. Has one spot open for the 10. This was hard to photograph since the flash just bounced back.

I wish that was above my fireplace mantle in the living room! :wub:

$7 display for the GHP series. Has one spot open for the 10. This was hard to photograph since the flash just bounced back.

Thanks, but I doubt you want it anymore because one of my sweat little girls took a screwdriver and scratched the hell out of the shiny surface. AAAHHHHHHHH I dont even know what to say to them. They are too old to pull this crap.

• Like 1

I honestly can't wait to try these grippers out. I think Russ will be bringing his to my comp in February so the GHPs will get a thorough use in a comp setting. :santa:

Thanks, but I doubt you want it anymore because one of my sweat little girls took a screwdriver and scratched the hell out of the shiny surface. AAAHHHHHHHH I dont even know what to say to them. They are too old to pull this crap.

I found out it was Sarah. I’m glad it was her just because she is younger. She is in her room for the night and can only come out for dinner.

The older one, Eileen has already been through her terror phase and if it was her it would have been out of malice.

Here is an old photo of Sarah the grip display destroyer.

gallery_19587_1236_19802.jpg

Where did you come by diamond plate for only $7? Everywhere I look it is significantly pricier.

It was from an odds and ends pile. I’m sure they would charge a lot more to have it cut from a big piece. Also the lady asked for $10 but all I had was $7.

There is the dull kind that is much stronger and that is a lot more $. This stuff is cheaper and better looking.

It was from an odds and ends pile. I’m sure they would charge a lot more to have it cut from a big piece. Also the lady asked for $10 but all I had was $7.

There is the dull kind that is much stronger and that is a lot more $. This stuff is cheaper and better looking.

Ah ok.

It looks really great, I will keep an eye out for similar deals.

Thanks!