Steel Benders Hall Of Fame

Mike Rinderle

@EricMilfeldI was curious about the towel being used to bend the Red and tried it myself after a few months of being able to bend a Red at will.  And found it WAY HARDER than using any other type of pads.  The grip requirement was off the charts.  So the joke's really on the guys who thought you were somehow "cheating" using the towel.  Maybe in their mind it looked easier because it was fluffy and thicker than most other bending pads.  But it sure doesn't protect you from the bar tearing through and just plain sucks because it slips all over the bar when putting pressure on it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bencrush said:

@EricMilfeldI was curious about the towel being used to bend the Red and tried it myself after a few months of being able to bend a Red at will.  And found it WAY HARDER than using any other type of pads.  The grip requirement was off the charts.  So the joke's really on the guys who thought you were somehow "cheating" using the towel.  Maybe in their mind it looked easier because it was fluffy and thicker than most other bending pads.  But it sure doesn't protect you from the bar tearing through and just plain sucks because it slips all over the bar when putting pressure on it. 

Your assessment is spot on. I appreciate the confirmation, Ben. I really didn’t even consider leather as an option. When I finally heard that some guys were using leather I went and bought some. But the kind I got was not suede; it was a very hard and brittle leather and first time I tried a Red it busted through and cut my palm. Then I was at a loss and totally frustrated before I found out I was simply using the wrong kind of leather. All trial and error stuff. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2018 at 9:49 PM, KapMan said:

But no one talks about it unless they post a “look what I did” and even then theres what 3 here that currently post regularly.

No innovation, no nothing except ancient stuff from 5-8 years ago. David horne seems to be the biggest promotor with his steel shredders contest (which I wasnt aware of because apparently its like fight club)and then you have 1 contest here. 

Im an idiot though, what do I know. I just feel a way about things. 

I just resurrected my account and came across your post. I am a dedicated bender and feel you are correct in the “3” people look what I did comment that you posted. It’s a strange addiction and for most like myself feel even stranger posting pictures/videos of bending and grip sport. Then having to deal with trolling. Things should change in the strange categories and we should get bending more main stream again. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 11:49 PM, KapMan said:

But no one talks about it unless they post a “look what I did” and even then theres what 3 here that currently post regularly.

No innovation, no nothing except ancient stuff from 5-8 years ago. David horne seems to be the biggest promotor with his steel shredders contest (which I wasnt aware of because apparently its like fight club)and then you have 1 contest here. 

Im an idiot though, what do I know. I just feel a way about things. 

Missed this earlier, I think.  Not too many ways to innovate.  A few different means of training, but overall, it takes consistency and determination.  There is a ton of information on the board and throughout the archives.  A lot of advice being given out on PMs over time.  One of the best ways to learn is to show up to a contest where seasoned benders  will be and ask question and learn.  Almost everyone would be happy to help.  Bending is one of my favorite topics of conversation.  No secrets, just hard work and the next target.  

Also, this is going to be the second year with another bending-onlycontest stateside.  Exciting times!  I thought that was over after the Beast in the East contest faded away, and my days of bending competively were done, but it is definitely alive and expanding.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, imillertimee said:

Things should change in the strange categories and we should get bending more main stream again. 

Not sure what you mean here?  How long have you been bending?

5 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

Not sure what you mean here?  How long have you been bending?

Sorry, When I tell people about bending and what I do they think it’s incredibly strange. Been bending on and off for 3-4 yrs. mostly in the winter since they are so brutal here in Idaho. 

6 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

Missed this earlier, I think.  Not too many ways to innovate.  A few different means of training, but overall, it takes consistency and determination.  There is a ton of information on the board and throughout the archives.  A lot of advice being given out on PMs over time.  One of the best ways to learn is to show up to a contest where seasoned benders  will be and ask question and learn.  Almost everyone would be happy to help.  Bending is one of my favorite topics of conversation.  No secrets, just hard work and the next target.  

Also, this is going to be the second year with another bending-onlycontest stateside.  Exciting times!  I thought that was over after the Beast in the East contest faded away, and my days of bending competively were done, but it is definitely alive and expanding.

It really doesnt matter. 

I’m beginning to think that steel bending is still pretty much alive and well. It’s just changed venues. Not much is happening here anymore. Just a few guys posting bends off and on. But every other steel bending video posted on facebook is from some one I’ve never even seen or heard about before. Seems like lots of folks are still doing it.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 1/21/2019 at 3:02 PM, David_wigren said:

I’m beginning to think that steel bending is still pretty much alive and well. It’s just changed venues. Not much is happening here anymore. Just a few guys posting bends off and on. But every other steel bending video posted on facebook is from some one I’ve never even seen or heard about before. Seems like lots of folks are still doing it.

Reddit, facebook and instagram all seem to have a thriving community of benders and gripsters. This board is dead in comparison. 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I would really love to bring back benders battlefield in some way. 

There's no single pad certifications out there except for steelbendrussia, and ironmind. 

I think benders battlefield kept the traditional spirit of the sport. If there's anyone I can contact or talk to about it, I'd love to resurrect this kind of thing. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Londonjoseph said:

I would really love to bring back benders battlefield in some way. 

There's no single pad certifications out there except for steelbendrussia, and ironmind. 

I think benders battlefield kept the traditional spirit of the sport. If there's anyone I can contact or talk to about it, I'd love to resurrect this kind of thing. 

I like the idea of a 1" or 1.5" pad list (all styles).  
FBBC certs are clearly dead, and not many people care about IM bending certs anymore, so what we have is Horrido, ECGB, and BSC. I support and like all of them, but it would be cool to have a "forum-based" cert list where we have to measure wrap size. 

Resurrecting BB would be great, but starting something from scratch might be easier if you have the motivation. 
Maybe some people have the legacy cert lists written down somewhere, and you could lego together a few things from old Gripboard posts and Youtube videos, but it would be surprising if somebody would still have all the data from the server (would be very cool though). 

Edited by matek
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, matek said:

I like the idea of a 1" or 1.5" pad list (all styles).  
FBBC certs are clearly dead, and not many people care about IM bending certs anymore, so what we have is Horrido, ECGB, and BSC. I support and like all of them, but it would be cool to have a "forum-based" cert list where we have to measure wrap size. 

Resurrecting BB would be great, but starting something from scratch might be easier if you have the motivation. 
Maybe some people have the legacy cert lists written down somewhere, and you could lego together a few things from old Gripboard posts and Youtube videos, but it would be surprising if somebody would still have all the data from the server (would be very cool though). 

Maybe not necessarily "resurrecting" bb, but using the same rules, and similar bars would be very cool! 

• Like 2

Let's build it here. If someone wants to help we can get them access to update the bending area of the forum. Or, it looks like once we move to the cloud, there will be functionality to create "pages" within the forum. Kind of like how CPW is a store except we can create pages like the Ratings Data page. 

As a starting point, what were the Bender's Battlefield rules?

For existing certs I remember similar threads where we were looking for an archived list and could not find one. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Let's build it here. If someone wants to help we can get them access to update the bending area of the forum. Or, it looks like once we move to the cloud, there will be functionality to create "pages" within the forum. Kind of like how CPW is a store except we can create pages like the Ratings Data page. 

As a starting point, what were the Bender's Battlefield rules?

For existing certs I remember similar threads where we were looking for an archived list and could not find one. 

@EJ Livesey?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Londonjoseph said:

My brothers I think with some great effort we can make something good out of this, we need to get started!

Would we bend the same batch of steel? Or only rated steel? How did it work back then on BB?
Because I guess the point is to control as many variables as possible to be able to compare the bends. 

• Like 1

Just now, matek said:

Would we bend the same batch of steel? Or only rated steel? How did it work back then on BB?
Because I guess the point is to control as many variables as possible to be able to compare the bends. 

I think rated batches would be the best way to go, if we can have @devinhoorate pieces, then send those same pieces from the batch that would be fine enough. 

• Like 3

Benders Battlefield was my favorite place for bending discussion. 

If the certs get resurrected, I hope to see some "easy" steel bars being sent out/sold for a barehand bending cert list. The barehand bars could be safer if a length of 8" was adopted. That length of bar is going to have much less chance of piercing hands than the shorter bars. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Londonjoseph said:

I think rated batches would be the best way to go, if we can have @devinhoorate pieces, then send those same pieces from the batch that would be fine enough. 

I agree, otherwise even if we measure wrap diameter we could be bending totally different steel. 

If Devin agrees, the easiest start would be just simply buying rated steel from him. One important thing is that ratings at different lengths should never be compared. 

Edited by matek
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, matek said:

I agree, otherwise even if we measure wrap diameter we could be bending totally different steel. 

If Devin agrees, the easiest start would be just simply buying rated steel from him. One important thing is that ratings at different lengths should never be compared. 

A big part of benders battlefield was 7" lengths and 6" lengths, both lengths were rated but kept on separate leaderboards for obvious reasons 

• Like 2

I don't think that's a project I could do on my own. I buy drill rod online in 3 ft lengths, so I don't know if it's the same batch. I would have to rate one out of every five pieces in order to confidently speak to their exact ratings. Even if I ordered a ton at once all from the same supplier it could still vary. With bolt head markings I can at least say it was probably made by the same factory

Edited by devinhoo
  • Like 2

I'd still think it would be cool to have a leaderboard list even without rated bars. 

Just sticking to one material would be best.

David Horne has a braced bending leaderboard that's all unrated HRS. Classic style.

I'd like the same thing with cordura wraps, 1.5" wraps, etc. Classic styles.