Armwrestling People 60 Lbs. Heavier

Electron

I've recently gotten deep into the sport of AW, and I've been practicing against as many people as possible.

I weigh 125 now (and gaining) and I've always been really strong for my weight. I can do close to 40 pull ups.

When AWing people who weigh more than me, I can put them down, because I usually have at least one component (wrist, hand, bicep, whatever) that's stronger than theirs and I can start beating them from there... But I can't seem to beat people who are over 60 lbs heavier than me.

I think this is because people who weigh that much more than me have well-rounded strength and that their components are all more powerful than mine... and this is why I'm not able to beat them.

I had one guy weighing 183 (his middle fingers had a full 1 digit on mine, HUGE hands) and he just held me in the starting position despite me trying to toproll, hook, press, pull him. I did try every technique that I could use, so it was probably just a matter of brute strength.

If anybody on here has experience beating heavier people and has any helpful techniques or tips I can try, I'd appreciate it.

Come to practice. You'll get experience against actual armwrestlers. Jarrod said you had to study or work or something last weekend, are you able to come this weekend?

Edited by thewalrus

When I weighted 145 I'd beaten a bodybuilder who's at 5'8" and 235 lean. another guy in same gym at 5'9" 215. This was in Houston 3-4 years ago. After I moved to San Diego my wrists/forearms made a big jump I 've become much stronger. I have done practices at Gary Rays home in Houston

But agaisnt real AWers I dunno. Back then hand/wrist/forearm were my archilles. I would love to meet some AW in OC California to pull against. Regular folks...Naaa just fooling around with them for fun. 2 months ago I went to a VHN - TV station in OC for an interview with a show host live TV. The Station owner asked if I am a fitness trainer, then stated that he would like to test my arm aka AW test. He's naturally very strong but just with my wrist I showed him how easily to beat regular person. After the TV interview he approached me again. He say he's got 1 more maneuver to test me, that he convince that I couldn't handle it. Saying he's beaten guys as big as as 6'3" and 230 lbs or so. I found out after he grapped my hands it was Indian wrestle (I think) The objective was to pull/push ur opponent off balance until 1 or more foot displaced, while hold each other's hand in AW style grip. He's tried first but could pull me off balance. When I turned it on it was so hard, he would have fallen hard had I did not pull him back. But I was no way sastified with this win, I need to face professional AWer to know where I am at. BUt I admit it's one heck of a way to impress the chicks at party LOL

Come to practice. You'll get experience against actual armwrestlers. Jarrod said you had to study or work or something last weekend, are you able to come this weekend?

I'm busy with work and especially finals, but I'll be done with this semester in a week. I'll try to keep my weekends open during break so I can go to practice.

Are you pulling against AWers or just normal guys that workout in the gym that really don't have experience in the sport?

Not sure if that was for me, but I pull mostly biggest strongest guys in my gym. I also tested it against baseball player, their have fantastic forearm and hand. Or tennis pro too, has great forearm especially big guy with large hand. Usually I explained real good then go slow on them. If I pull against their biceps they would do well. But If I attack the hand or use sidepressure (slowly) They never know what happen. I would verballly tell them what is my intention so they ready for it like "let's hook" , "straight wrist now" ...Sometimes they instinctively row instead of AW. But untrained people is very weak at sidepressure. I go really slow and they wonder what happenning to their arm. Guy with 15-16" forearm looked surprised when their wrist failed big time against my pathetic 6.5 iches wrist. After about 3 sets they normally 're very pumpped while I just gettting warm up LOL. But I am awared against the pros is entirely another level. I just hope I am ready for it

• 1 month later...

Are you pulling against AWers or just normal guys that workout in the gym that really don't have experience in the sport?

I pull at a weekly practice now, but I like having regular matches against guys in the gym.

• 4 weeks later...

Last year I had a challenge match with 310 pound Shawn Henderson - best out of 5 - Shawn weighed 310 pounds, I weigh 210! Shawn lifts at Westside Barbell. He neches 650 in competiton and squats over 900. I beat him 3-2 for match win. I am an outside armwrestler and I train heavy hammer curls for back-preasure (have done a 100 pounder for six reps right hand off a preacher bench - see gallery), very strong top-roll and I'm very fast! I have never worried about how much somebody weighs. Train hard in the right movements, get your table time in and DO YOUR SPEED WORK! It will all come together in time.

Sorry, I meant to say, "he benches 650".