For Certified No. 3 Closers!

Guest james

Guest james

I just wanna know how long it took to close the No. 3 Gripper from scratch? From the first 'grip' workout and the time when you shut the No. 3? Months. Years. etc. Be specific.

just asking

I first tried the #1 CoC grippers at Iron Island gym in April of 1998, and was able to do repetitions with it.  They did not have a #2, but they did have a #3, so I tried it and got the handles to around parallel.  In May, 1998 I got my own #1 and #2 grippers.  I had done some 2" thick bar holds for time in preparation of receiving my grippers.  I was able to barely shut the #2 when I got it.  By late August, 1998, I was able to get over 10 reps with the #2 and ordered the #3, which I received in September, 1998.  On my first try with my own #3, I came to about 3/8" away from closing the handles.  On August 4, 2000, I finally closed that darned #3.  Determination and faith in myself was very key!  Steve Weiner  

(Edited by 3Crusher at 10:24 am on April 30, 2001)

I recieved my T and 1 grippers on Dec.25, 2000.  I had never done a crush workout.  The only lower arm work I had ever done was wrist curls and a wrist roller.  I also do some manual labor.  The T and 1 were no prob. I worked with them for a while and I ordered my 2 and 3 and recieved them Jan. 20, 2001.  I closed the 2 for reps, and I don't know how close I was on 3.  From then it took me until March 16, 2001 to close the 3, so around 2 months.  The key to me closing it was rest.  I was over training because I was so close, I backed off and shut it.  

Heath, you're a freak man.  Face it! :biggrin:  You ate these grippers for lunch!

Heath is now almost doing a TRIPLE with the 3.  And done a 3-finger close I think. Don't think he didn't work hard though to develop his gift.  Then, he put his money where his mouth was an was determined to get CERTIFIED and witnessed.  No bunk.  No smoke.  No mirrors.  The real deal.

The same story goes for my friend Steve.  Now, there's determination.  In fact, the same goes for all the guys hangin here who got the job done!

From buying it/trying it to shutting it - unofficially... Six months.

Like one of the dudes mentioned I also did way too much. Not in terms of reps, as I always did singles, but by trying way too often

Guest Radiulis

I got my #1 11.17.01 , to that point i had only done some wristrolling for gripwork.

Got my 2 and 3  on january 23 of this year, got the #2 for reps, and shut the number three unofficially sometime in late march.

Wannagrip, thanks for the kind words. :)  I don't know how much of a freak I am, but I am a very hard worker.  I hope to be seeing some familer names on the list soon.  

(hint hint) ;)

Yeah, well I think you are humble too.

Heath just did a triple with a #3 in a set-go-set-go-set-go fashion.  Just missing a fourth.

I originally ordered the trainer and no.1 back in 1995 from Pullum Sports in England. They were too easy so I gave them to friends and ordered a no. 2 which I was repping on the morning I received it.

I probably didn't touch a no.3 until 1996 when I tried David Horne's 'old' no.3 and was about 1/4" off closing it. At this time and until I ordered my own no.3 in November 2000 I had not really trained the grippers much. The no.3 I got in November was easier than I had expected and I closed it out of the bag. I then ordered a no.4 and a beefbuilder Elite. Both these grippers were way over the top of the no. 3. Since I have shut the no.3 officially I haven't trained on it much as my gripping goals are more varied (ie. plate curls, weaver stick,  pinch chins etc).

I hope this is of some interest to you James.