Meet Blobzilla

daniel reinard

The 30kg blob has been lifted, Laine has actually clean'd one believe it or not, as well as doing a double deadlift. Both myself and David have had it off the floor.

That is awesome. Is there any footage of the feat? Does the 30kg look like the 65#, same shape?

I think the top of it is 4" wide, weighs 29.5kg/65lbs to be exact, and yeah i think all the legacys are the same from other videos i have seen. One things for sure, it's VERY difficult, the clean is possibly the greatest grip feat ever, so is the clean he did on the 25kg gripping it the hard way. To me, just to deadlift the 30 is a much tougher feat than a #4 close for example, even Steve and big Loz couldn't budge one.

Oh and incase someone reading this does not know, when i say Steve i am talking about a guy who has one hand deadlifted the mellenium dumbbell for 10 reps in a couple minutes / when i say big Loz i'm talking about one of the absolute strongest men on earth.

I'm guessing the 60kg and the 130lb dumbells are just about identical except the markings on top. My half was 64 1/2 pounds on a freight scale. This is the difference Paul in hand strengths and geometries. You think deadlifting the 30kg legacy is harder than a #4. I say not even close. I have trained crush almost exclusively for the past 6 months and do about 10 times more volume than what I see you do in your training log yet you are better with grippers than me. Training crush has very good carry over for all around grip strength for me so while I might not ever certify on a #4 I will keep pushing for it because it helps build my overall grip strength.

Almost identical then. For me it's definately harder and i have done three wide 15k's one hand and three poor fit 20's with 1 finger & thumb assist so it's not like i'm terrible at wide pinch either. Maybe it's hand size, what size span do you have? that's one big difference between me (and steve/loz who couldn't manage it either) and Laine, his hands are a lot bigger than mine. I don't know what i can do now but on the 20kg heavy grip tools blob i could have definately added a huge amount of weight at one point, i got air with 1 finger and thumb (true one finger & thumb, nothing else touching) and hang snatch by face etc but the 30k's have just laughed at my for the most part. This is why i think it's so tough.

As for my crush volume. I have done stupid volume on grippers in the past, with countless 5-6 hour grip workouts. The reason i don't do this now is because my grip gets trained hard all day long in work. My job requires a lot of thumb, finger, and wrist strength & endruance. I do a lot of very similar lifts in work than what i do in my grip training, as well as regular lifting. As part of my job i do deadlifts, front squats and overhead presses, as well as various thickbar and pinch lifting, and various wrist movement (including wrist rolling). This is all done heavy on a regular basis, i do it 5-6 days a week. Specific to my crush strength is winding carpet rolls on using a wheel (grip is like v-bar), i do this on three different thickness wheels, one is thin, one is regular, and one is fat. If my grip is not beat down i use the fat one to push it, and when my skin is damaged, which is often, i wear gloves. A heavy roll with gloves on the fat wheel is extremely difficult. The rolls range from 375-750lbs and 20-80 metres in length. My log can be a little misleading, it will look like i have done hardly any grip work for weeks but in the last several days i have put on about almost 70 rolls, as well as all other job requirements (a LOT), and netting and stocking of lakes outside of work (so all out arm over arm for hours on end, followed by farmers walk for hours on end).

You may cert the #4 yet Wade, i know i can and if i can so can anybody else. I couldn't close #1 before i started grip training, and that was with my strong hand! Best of luck with your training.

The 30kg blob has been lifted, Laine has actually clean'd one believe it or not, as well as doing a double deadlift. Both myself and David have had it off the floor.

That is awesome. Is there any footage of the feat? Does the 30kg look like the 65#, same shape?

I think the top of it is 4" wide, weighs 29.5kg/65lbs to be exact, and yeah i think all the legacys are the same from other videos i have seen. One things for sure, it's VERY difficult, the clean is possibly the greatest grip feat ever, so is the clean he did on the 25kg gripping it the hard way. To me, just to deadlift the 30 is a much tougher feat than a #4 close for example, even Steve and big Loz couldn't budge one.

Oh and incase someone reading this does not know, when i say Steve i am talking about a guy who has one hand deadlifted the mellenium dumbbell for 10 reps in a couple minutes / when i say big Loz i'm talking about one of the absolute strongest men on earth.

I'm guessing the 60kg and the 130lb dumbells are just about identical except the markings on top. My half was 64 1/2 pounds on a freight scale. This is the difference Paul in hand strengths and geometries. You think deadlifting the 30kg legacy is harder than a #4. I say not even close. I have trained crush almost exclusively for the past 6 months and do about 10 times more volume than what I see you do in your training log yet you are better with grippers than me. Training crush has very good carry over for all around grip strength for me so while I might not ever certify on a #4 I will keep pushing for it because it helps build my overall grip strength.

Almost identical then. For me it's definately harder and i have done three wide 15k's one hand and three poor fit 20's with 1 finger & thumb assist so it's not like i'm terrible at wide pinch either. Maybe it's hand size, what size span do you have? that's one big difference between me (and steve/loz who couldn't manage it either) and Laine, his hands are a lot bigger than mine. I don't know what i can do now but on the 20kg heavy grip tools blob i could have definately added a huge amount of weight at one point, i got air with 1 finger and thumb (true one finger & thumb, nothing else touching) and hang snatch by face etc but the 30k's have just laughed at my for the most part. This is why i think it's so tough.

As for my crush volume. I have done stupid volume on grippers in the past, with countless 5-6 hour grip workouts. The reason i don't do this now is because my grip gets trained hard all day long in work. My job requires a lot of thumb, finger, and wrist strength & endruance. I do a lot of very similar lifts in work than what i do in my grip training, as well as regular lifting. As part of my job i do deadlifts, front squats and overhead presses, as well as various thickbar and pinch lifting, and various wrist movement (including wrist rolling). This is all done heavy on a regular basis, i do it 5-6 days a week. Specific to my crush strength is winding carpet rolls on using a wheel (grip is like v-bar), i do this on three different thickness wheels, one is thin, one is regular, and one is fat. If my grip is not beat down i use the fat one to push it, and when my skin is damaged, which is often, i wear gloves. A heavy roll with gloves on the fat wheel is extremely difficult. The rolls range from 375-750lbs and 20-80 metres in length. My log can be a little misleading, it will look like i have done hardly any grip work for weeks but in the last several days i have put on about almost 70 rolls, as well as all other job requirements (a LOT), and netting and stocking of lakes outside of work (so all out arm over arm for hours on end, followed by farmers walk for hours on end).

You may cert the #4 yet Wade, i know i can and if i can so can anybody else. I couldn't close #1 before i started grip training, and that was with my strong hand! Best of luck with your training.

Paul - what you explained in your post is exactly what I am talking about. Your hands get worked hard on things at work daily that aren't really like crushing a gripper. So you train with a lower volume on grippers and still get good results. I'm that way with Pinch. I work my crush very hard most of the year and rarely train pinch but when I do it's 3-4 week minicycles of low volume with really high intensity - like 4-5 max lifts in a session. If I only trained a few max gripper closes a couple times a week I would not make progress beyond a certain point. I've tried a lot of different programs for crush and if I'm not putting a lot of high intensity volume in I don't progress. Thanks for your reply and good luck with the #4.

Wade