Meet Blobzilla

daniel reinard

Man, Blobzilla showed up at the wrong time. Try to keep your hands off it untill after your MM2 close.

Russ, please keep us posted on your dealings with this blobzilla bastard.

Russ, please keep us posted on your dealings with this blobzilla bastard.

Will do Jedd. I'll update here as well as on my blog: thestrengthpit.blogspot.com. Nothing like a little shameless plug, eh ;)

Dan and Russ,

Have either of you guys tried two-hand pinching Blobzilla with weight added - going for a one rep max? I train this way a lot with regular york blobs if I can't lift them one handed, not sure how well this will work though with Blobzilla's unusal shape. Anyway, just thought that might give you another angle to approach Blobzilla in addition to deloading and negatives.

Dan and Russ,

Have either of you guys tried two-hand pinching Blobzilla with weight added - going for a one rep max? I train this way a lot with regular york blobs if I can't lift them one handed, not sure how well this will work though with Blobzilla's unusal shape. Anyway, just thought that might give you another angle to approach Blobzilla in addition to deloading and negatives.

I'll give it a try Mike. I've never thought of that. Thanks man. Normally negatives have worked but this time it looks like something more is needed, hence the deloader.

Might try Blobzilla again today, and I'm thinking the LH is healed enough to give it a good effort.

Tried my York side Blobzilla after work. Got a little movement, and also tore the thumb wound back open. The LH was feeling strong but I kept having to fight that tear. Still need a lot of work on this thing.

photobucket-15766-1320549833184.jpg

It looked like it's ready to hover being that it was sliding so easily like that. I'll poke BlobZilla with a stick tomorrow and see what happens :shuriken:

I built my deloader for BlobZilla today and gave it a try. Of course, I'll make a few tweaks here and there and try a different type of blob platform to see what it does but it seems to work well. It was very humbling to say the least. That slope on the finger side is SICK and I was only able to get a full lift with 27.5 lbs. on the deloader. That means that I can only lift just over half of BlobZilla's weight :sick: even though I can 1hp over 68 lbs. with a much wider width than this sucker. It'll be a lot of hard work to pick this bad boy up but I'm going to put in the time to lower the deloader weight workout by workout and finally pick this thing up. I'll get pics and a video of BlobZilla and the deloader up tomorrow.

I don't know how long I can hold off not buying one of these. Is anybody interested in splitting one?

Yeah, I will.

Wade

Here's the deloader I built this past weekend so I can start really training to lift BlobZilla. I built it to work with my power rack but you could always just attach it to an overhead beam in the garage or back patio as well, or make a 2x4 frame. Here's a couple pics of all the parts I used to build it.

Deloader+parts.JPG

another+deloader+part.JPG

Here's the list:

-one 5" long 2x4

-2 hooks to hang the pulleys on

-2 pulleys for 3/16" cable

-2x3/16" clamp sets for the ends of the cable

-one 10" length of coated 3/16" cable (cable length will vary depending on how high your pulleys will be mounted)

-4x18" lengths of chain

-4 quick links-to attach the chain to the eye bolts

-4 eye bolts

-2 medium sized carabiners

-1 piece of 1x6x12" wood for the blob platform. This was just a piece I had lying around but you can use whatever you want for the platform. I'll experiment with a piece of rubber matting to see if I like it better.

-a 1" or 2" loading pin to hold the weights.

Instructions for the build:

Drill 4 holes in your platform material and attach the 4 eye bolts.

Attach the 4 lengths of chain to the eye bolts using the quick links and clip the upper ends of all 4 chains in the carabiner. Now pull the chains taut and measure the total height from the floor to the top of the carabiner (You will need this measurement later).

Screw the 2 hooks into the bottom of the 2x4. I went in 18" from the ends so it would fit nicely inside my power rack but you can go any distance you need to. Just make sure that it's wide enough so that the weights won't come down on top of you when you're lifting the blob. Also make sure the hooks are pointing out because the pulleys will pull in toward the center and will pull off the hooks if they are backward.

Next slide the pulleys onto the hooks (this is the easiest step of the whole process)

Attach a 3/16" clamp set to one end of the cable and tighten it down nice and tight so it won't slip.

Slide the straight end of the cable through both pulleys; this step is important because if you attach both clamp sets first you can't fit the cable through the pulleys.

Before attaching the second clamp set to the cable you need to determine how long the cable needs to be. To do this I attached the carabiner to the one end and clipped it to the loading pin. I then pulled the other end of the cable taut and stood up with my hand in the full deadlift position with my hand in a fist. Mark the cable where the knuckles of your fist are and subtract the total length of the chains that you measured earlier.

Attach the clamp set to the end of the cable with the bottom of the loop being where your mark is. Now clip the platform and chains to the cable with the carabiner and put the blob on it.

Add some weight to your loading pin and lift if up to clip it onto the carabiner. Lift the blob to full lockout and if the loading pin with weight touches the floor before lockout then adjust where the clamp set is on the blob side to shorten it a little. If you did your measurements correctly it should be pretty close. If no adjustments are needed cut off the excess cable with bolt cutters and start Blobbing!

Here's a quick video of my deloader and BlobZilla in action:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I may not need to use my deloader after all. I aimed to do a Blobzilla ISO day, just squeeze like hell with no lift attempt. In between attempts I tried out some unbraced bending since it's been 4 months since I did any. After the final bend, a reverse bend, the hands finally felt warmed up. I bent down and started to lift a blob. Mid lift I was caught off guard and thought I had the wrong blob in my hand. I dropped it and looked, nope, it was Blobzilla. What was supposed to be a ISO squeeze was a lift. Both hands saw air today and the best was a knee high drop with the RH. This thing will be locked out soon. I think between the Blobzilla work and facelift work the wide pinch has gotten good enough for Blobzilla.

• Like 1

Daniel, what is your best Fatman plus extra weight lift? I think I saw you pull a Fatman plus 10lb. (correct me if I'm wrong), but do you think you're capable of much more than this? It really would be amazing if you could get close or beat Wade Gillingham's Fatman plus ~30lb. (I think this is the record for a Fatman + weight) considering the fact that he outweighs you by at least 100lb. Good luck locking out Blobzilla!

Daniel, I don't know what to say any more. I can’t believe how quick you got that thing off the ground. You are a great inspiration to everyone man!

Super impressive. That lockout is coming really soon.

Thanks guys. It was very exciting to get it off the ground yesterday, especially since I didn't want to attempt lifts. I honestly thought this project would take longer, much longer. I'll put in some hard time with it this week then take a week off. That normally helps achieve the last bit for lockout.

Well I may not need to use my deloader after all. I aimed to do a Blobzilla ISO day, just squeeze like hell with no lift attempt. In between attempts I tried out some unbraced bending since it's been 4 months since I did any. After the final bend, a reverse bend, the hands finally felt warmed up. I bent down and started to lift a blob. Mid lift I was caught off guard and thought I had the wrong blob in my hand. I dropped it and looked, nope, it was Blobzilla. What was supposed to be a ISO squeeze was a lift. Both hands saw air today and the best was a knee high drop with the RH. This thing will be locked out soon. I think between the Blobzilla work and facelift work the wide pinch has gotten good enough for Blobzilla.

Great work bro.

Daniel, what is your best Fatman plus extra weight lift? I think I saw you pull a Fatman plus 10lb. (correct me if I'm wrong), but do you think you're capable of much more than this? It really would be amazing if you could get close or beat Wade Gillingham's Fatman plus ~30lb. (I think this is the record for a Fatman + weight) considering the fact that he outweighs you by at least 100lb. Good luck locking out Blobzilla!

The mentioned fatmans were all regular blobs, or 2nd gen york blobs. They are the easier variety. Wade and Jedd are the top dogs no doubt for blob plus weight. I have added 10# to a blob and haven't tried since. I guess it doesn't interest me as much as straight blob lifts in all their ways. Maybe i'll try again some time. I def have to figure out a good way to hang weights, I hated how they fall off .

Very strong super pinch!

Hey Dan, it was really cool to meet you in person, along with blobzilla (Dan doesn't live too far from my house). Let me just say that you are welcome in my house any time, but blobzilla will never be let in the door again! Never, NEVER! have I been made such a fool of! I tried and I tried to lift blobzilla and it just sat there LAUGHING at me, and right in front of all my other weights no less. I am embarrased in my own gym!

Anyway on a more serious note, blobzilla truely was an impressive beast, far bigger than a Fatman 50, but with a good gripping surface. Very tough, but not impossible to lift, I think even for people with average sized hands like mine. Just need to get stronger. I will definitely be watching you progress, you and everyone else who are becoming prowd owners of blobzillas.

Once again, it was really good to meet you Dan, and good luck in your training.

Hey Dan, it was really cool to meet you in person, along with blobzilla (Dan doesn't live too far from my house). Let me just say that you are welcome in my house any time, but blobzilla will never be let in the door again! Never, NEVER! have I been made such a fool of! I tried and I tried to lift blobzilla and it just sat there LAUGHING at me, and right in front of all my other weights no less. I am embarrased in my own gym!

Anyway on a more serious note, blobzilla truely was an impressive beast, far bigger than a Fatman 50, but with a good gripping surface. Very tough, but not impossible to lift, I think even for people with average sized hands like mine. Just need to get stronger. I will definitely be watching you progress, you and everyone else who are becoming prowd owners of blobzillas.

Once again, it was really good to meet you Dan, and good luck in your training.

:laugh Blobzilla has a will of his own, and no respect at all. The thing is not that hand size dependant, about the same for other blobs, and it just takes practice to build up the strength.

Thanks for having me over for a bit, it was fun trying the grip goodies. And thanks for the trade too. I'll get use out of this hex weight.

So I see someone has been cutting up big York DBs on the east coast.......I'm extremely excited to see who bought Blobzillas and what will happen to them!

The 30kg blob has been lifted, Laine has actually clean'd one believe it or not, as well as doing a double deadlift. Both myself and David have had it off the floor.

That is awesome. Is there any footage of the feat? Does the 30kg look like the 65#, same shape?

I think the top of it is 4" wide, weighs 29.5kg/65lbs to be exact, and yeah i think all the legacys are the same from other videos i have seen. One things for sure, it's VERY difficult, the clean is possibly the greatest grip feat ever, so is the clean he did on the 25kg gripping it the hard way. To me, just to deadlift the 30 is a much tougher feat than a #4 close for example, even Steve and big Loz couldn't budge one.

Oh and incase someone reading this does not know, when i say Steve i am talking about a guy who has one hand deadlifted the mellenium dumbbell for 10 reps in a couple minutes / when i say big Loz i'm talking about one of the absolute strongest men on earth.

I'm guessing the 60kg and the 130lb dumbells are just about identical except the markings on top. My half was 64 1/2 pounds on a freight scale. This is the difference Paul in hand strengths and geometries. You think deadlifting the 30kg legacy is harder than a #4. I say not even close. I have trained crush almost exclusively for the past 6 months and do about 10 times more volume than what I see you do in your training log yet you are better with grippers than me. Training crush has very good carry over for all around grip strength for me so while I might not ever certify on a #4 I will keep pushing for it because it helps build my overall grip strength.