Meet Blobzilla

daniel reinard

After much thought and discussion I've found a project blob, a half 130# York Legacy db. I chose this size to be be the US equivalent to the 60kg Legacys that are out there. So far, to my knowledge, no one has lifted a half 60kg or half 130#.

This thing is massive, and has been appropriately named as Blobzilla (by Russ Farver). The dumbbell arrived this last Friday and after cutting the number side off, which will be sent to Russ in AZ, I have had two days of attempts on it. I will be keeping the York side.

Thoughts so far:

-The shape is knarly. In the vids you can see less of a biting edge on the blob and a huge finger side slope. This causes a difficult shape to pinch and an imbalance that is tough to control.

-Texture is good, but it gives a false sense of security right before the attempt.

-The true height wasn't fully seen in the video as I believe the flat bottom to be deeper than a regular blob or fatman, so the full diameter isn't shown standing up. A face lift on this monster will need matching monster sized hands.

-Having tried a deloader today it did come up quite nicely until tension was almost lost. At that point Blobzilla leaned to the finger side and friction was lost. Thumb is tested hard and so is the finger side, something not really felt on a 2nd Gen Blob.

Is this the next landmark in blob badassery? Who will be the first to lift Blobzilla? If you are wondering how expensive this is or how difficult it is to find one I will say this, there are no excuses here. This bad boy is still in production and costs less than $200 for the dumbbell. And a blob fits in a medium flat rate box. It seems 50# blobs are being lifted by most who put in their training time. Blobzilla is on another level, something that will be an elite blob lift. It appears possible but make no mistake, this will fight you the whole way. This being said by someone who lifted a blob on first meeting, and face lifted a fatman the day it came in the mail.

A video intro and first attempts

Negative attempt then blob farmers walk comparison

Great write up Daniel! And thanks again for busting your butt getting this thing cut up and ready for hours and hours of (my)frustration :)

With the inexpense of attaining BlobZilla I'd like to see all the big dogs with blobs get one because the first BlobZilla lift WILL BE EPIC, make no mistake! I'll be ecstatic if I'm in the top 3 to lift this sucka! This thing is a major reason I've been hitting wide 1hp so hard lately.

Pushing the game to the next level! I love it. I'll be looking forward to watching your progress on this, please keep posting vids.

Awesome write-up Daniel, This is a cool new challenge for the Fat-Man lifters. Also Russ, Great name choice! Blobzilla....Awesome!

The 30kg blob has been lifted, Laine has actually clean'd one believe it or not, as well as doing a double deadlift. Both myself and David have had it off the floor.

Thanks for the support fellas. So far the LH hasn't tried it yet due to thumb skin tears from doing blob timed hold attempts. That's the better blob hand since it's the bigger hand.

The 30kg blob has been lifted, Laine has actually clean'd one believe it or not, as well as doing a double deadlift. Both myself and David have had it off the floor.

That is awesome. Is there any footage of the feat? Does the 30kg look like the 65#, same shape?

That is awesome. Is there any footage of the feat? Does the 30kg look like the 65#, same shape?

Here's the clean Dan. The shape/profile of the Legacys is the same whether modern or pre-historic weight measurements are used. ;)

Here's the clean Dan. The shape/profile of the Legacys is the same whether modern or pre-historic weight measurements are used.

Lol, thanks Mike. I searched online but didn't find anything, was listed as 66lb. It's a shame the 60kg db is not in production and is so rare. Maybe the 130# db will become popular as an elite blob lift since it's so cheap and is still produced. Their blobs are only off by 1# which is quite comparable.

Great write-up and video Daniel!!!

I could be wrong without having Blobzilla here to compare but I believe my "clone" fatman

is bigger than Blobzilla.

What does Blobzilla weigh?

The width of my clone is 4" exactly before the tapers begin.

I could be wrong without having Blobzilla here to compare but I believe my "clone" fatman

I've seen a fatman clone and this looks bigger. In the video I state I weighed it at 62#, which was done on my bathroom scale. Is my scale accurate, who knows. This thing is very tall with a bubble side, where the fatman clone has a wide flat section. Different shapes, much less edge bite, still has fresh factory paint, and very round finger side. Also consider ferric content of the steel. In that second video at the very end you can see a good profile view next to a 2nd gen York.

Like I was getting at in the posts above, there are tough blobs out there. This is one I'd like to see the become the next level because it can be a standard like the Yorks before it.

I think the top of it is 4" wide, weighs 29.5kg/65lbs to be exact, and yeah i think all the legacys are the same from other videos i have seen. One things for sure, it's VERY difficult, the clean is possibly the greatest grip feat ever, so is the clean he did on the 25kg gripping it the hard way. To me, just to deadlift the 30 is a much tougher feat than a #4 close for example, even Steve and big Loz couldn't budge one.

Oh and incase someone reading this does not know, when i say Steve i am talking about a guy who has one hand deadlifted the mellenium dumbbell for 10 reps in a couple minutes / when i say big Loz i'm talking about one of the absolute strongest men on earth.

Edited by Paul Savage

I've seen a fatman clone and this looks bigger. In the video I state I weighed it at 62#, which was done on my bathroom scale. Is my scale accurate, who knows. This thing is very tall with a bubble side, where the fatman clone has a wide flat section. Different shapes, much less edge bite, still has fresh factory paint, and very round finger side. Also consider ferric content of the steel. In that second video at the very end you can see a good profile view next to a 2nd gen York.

Like I was getting at in the posts above, there are tough blobs out there. This is one I'd like to see the become the next level because it can be a standard like the Yorks before it.

I'm sorry Daniel. You did mention the weight.

Your Blobzilla is heavier. My clone weighs 59.2 lbs. and is 24" in circumference both ways. Around the bubble sides or

around the center of the blob standing upright. Interesting.

My clone has not seen air by no one yet.

I can imagine your Blobzilla is tougher due to the extended bubble on one side.

I think the top of it is 4" wide, weighs 29.5kg/65lbs to be exact, and yeah i think all the legacys are the same from other videos i have seen. One things for sure, it's VERY difficult, the clean is possibly the greatest grip feat ever, so is the clean he did on the 25kg gripping it the hard way. To me, just to deadlift the 30 is a much tougher feat than a #4 close for example, even Steve and big Loz couldn't budge one.

Oh and incase someone reading this does not know, when i say Steve i am talking about a guy who has one hand deadlifted the mellenium dumbbell for 10 reps in a couple minutes / when i say big Loz i'm talking about one of the absolute strongest men on earth.

Steve who?

What's Loz's real name?

Thanks!!!

Steve Gardener (has been posting his log on here for like a thousand years) and Laurence Shahlaei.

Steve Gardener (has been posting his log on here for like a thousand years) and Laurence Shahlaei.

Joe, it's Mobsterone.

I don't know how long I can hold off not buying one of these. Is anybody interested in splitting one?

Laine has lifted the 30kg (66lb) legacy blob and no one else...Russ and I will be busting butt to lift the 65lb legacy blob. I'm really excited to get some LH attempts in when the hand heals as that's the hand that lifts the wide stuff first.

A race would be quite fun. Jedd, I should warn you i've trained the golden retrievers to be lethal guard dogs.

Wide pinch... I'd like to see Wade G. training with one of these!! :) And Chad too. Both have big hands and one hell of a wide pinch ability!

I don't know how long I can hold off not buying one of these. Is anybody interested in splitting one?

How much is half? All it says above is less than $200.

Paul, I assumed it was Steve Gardner you was talking about but one never knows for sure

without asking. Thanks!

How much is half? All it says above is less than $200.

$175 plus shipping. If you have someone close to York, PA they can probably pick it up and ship the halfs in flat rate bozes to save on shipping.

http://www.healthmegamall.com/prodView-York-Barbell-York-8220-Legacy8220-Solid-Round-Professional-Dummbell-Black-130-lb_s_c_p119099.htm

http://myworld.ebay....E:X:RTQ:US:1181

This guy is from California and sells the Yorks on Ebay. All his listings are in pairs and the proce includes shipping. I asked him if he would sell the dumbbells in mismatched pairs and he said he would. I was thinking of getting a 110 and 120 someday. Maybe sell off the other halves...but I’m not interested now because I have not mastered my blob 50 Yet. When I get the blob 50 at will ill start on the fatman and then start looking ahead to bigger. Blobzilla is just to scary for me to think about

My BlobZilla showed up today! It's the numbered half seen in Daniel's vids from the dumbbell that spawned the original pair of BlobZilla's. Thanks for the quick shipping Daniel! The box was even fully intact, due in large part I'm sure to the 2 rolls of tape it looks lile he wrapped it with. The Zilla had no chance of escaping his enclosure on this trip.

After I recovered from carrying it 5,000 miles (it felt that far on my shoulder anyway) into the house I gave it one try. I squeezed for all I was worth and pulled like heck. The thumb side came up and it immediately tried to flip over onto the rounded finger side. I think this dynamic is going to increase the difficulty of this much more than just the extra weight. I've recently pulled a hair over 68 lbs. one handed with a wider than BlobZilla grip but this thing just growled at me...actually it was more of a RAWR!

I think I'll attempt the MM2 cert tomorrow so I can start working with this bad boy immediately. If I have time I'll get my newly designed deloader built this weekend so I can start putting in the time with it. It has pretty good texture on the upper half but the lower half is much smoother so once I can lift it right side up I can flip it over and start all over on the smooth side :)