Daniel Reinard - Level 1

Cannon

gallery_9552_18_411.jpg

The GripBoard Proudly Certifies:

Daniel Reinard

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 1

This certification is granted by The GripBoard as an independent third party with no ethical or commercial conflict of interest.

The Mash Monster Gripper is one of a limited number supplied and controlled by The GripBoard.

The gripper is closed with one hand under strict and uniformly ethical and authenticated conditions.

This momentous feat was demonstrated on video to assure it will be valid for posterity.

gallery_9552_1257_66970.png

Daniel mashes the GripBoard Mash Monster Gripper - Level 1

Official Mash Monster Video

Mash Monster Profile

Height: 6' 1.5"

Weight: 180lbs

Date of Feat: October 21, 2011

How Long Grip Training

14 months

Current Grip Training Program

varied, grippers, lots of pinches, blobs, axle, bending, sledges, climbing

Acknowledgements

Thanks to Russ Farver for motivating me to be a Mash Monster and thanks to Mike Rinderle for pushing me to train grip and for helping me out on my gripper progress. There are many others that have been so helpful and kind.

gallery_9552_1257_163166.jpg

Daniel Reinard, the 73rd man in the world to close the Mash Monster Gripper - Level 1.

Back to the Mash Monsters Main

Could you tell us a little about your background in lifting?

Just started lifting 5 months ago and loving it. I have been climbing for a few years and have been doing grip for a year. Now I mix them all together.

How did you get into grip training?

Was a climber looking for ways to keep the hands strong during long periods away from the wall. I discovered grippers, then bending, then the rest of the sport.

You are now a GripBoard Mash Monster, what would you recommend to those aspiring to close this gripper?

Vary your training and don't overtrain.

What does your current grip routine look like?

All over the place. Basic concept is to do short focused sessions on one or two lifts so that way I can get them in almost every day of the week. I train all that is grip and still bend. Short sessions often has really helped keep from overtraining while getting a ton of grip work done. Progress seems to have sped up when doing this.

How has your grip routine changed since you first started training your grip?

I went from long gripper sessions 3-4 times a week to only bending almost every day then back to grip this last April '11 and have been hitting it hard since.

There seems to be a significant variation in the frequency of grip workouts among trainees even with the common goal of ultimate grip strength. Have you experimented with workout frequency and it’s affect on your training?

I have played with this alot. I overtrain easily and have had to find what works. I believe I finally find the right session length and frequency.

What are your favorite grip exercises?

Blobs in any way, grippers and 2x45 training.

What kind of starting routine would you recommend for a trainee new to grip training?

Grippers, lots of pinches and thickbar. Keep each session short and quick, and from there see how often you can train in a week. Over time you could work up to daily. Make one day wide pinch, another narrow, another grippers etc. Find what pairs well on the same day and find what order in the week feels good. Don't force routines, just do what feels good.

Who do you most admire in gripdom?

Jedd Johnson for his helpfulness, intensity, dedication and extended passion for the sport.

If you were to start over again with your grip training, what would you do differently?

I would stay away from doing too much too soon. Bending and grippers at the same time early on killed me. I had to pick a path then months later ease back into the other. Was tough setting grippers down for so many months when I was 1mm from closing my #3 but then started a bad regression.

What do you believe is the most difficult grip exercise?

Blob face lifts.

What are some of your personal bests in grip exercises?

Fatman face lift, The Glob lift, Red Nail in IMPs under a minute, 45+25# hub lift, 435# DO oly deadlift, bodyweight one hand axle lift, bodyweight+26# 2HP, BBE with a 20mm block, 82.5kg world records for 2HP, shallow hub and the stub.

What do you believe is the most common mistake made by new grip trainees?

Overtrain, each workout a max effort, and not enough variation.

What do you consider to be the greatest grip feats of all time?

#4 reps, double Inch and double blob face lifts.

Thanks for the write up Matt.

Thanks for the push Russ. Now go kill a MM2 so it's dead when I get a go at it.

Congrats. I look forward to a nice friendly race with you and Russ to get the MM3.

Great Q&A! You give great advice Daniel. Your photo is awesome too... I have never seen that many distinguished muscles in an arm before.

Congrats. I look forward to a nice friendly race with you and Russ to get the MM3.

Thanks Chez. Sounds like a fun challenge. Russ and I better not mess around with this MM2 then.

Great Q&A! You give great advice Daniel. Your photo is awesome too... I have never seen that many distinguished muscles in an arm before.

Thanks Rich. That photo was a turd to take. The pic was for Horne. He wanted a pic with the trophy and it arrived mid blob workout. I set the timer on the camera and stood there with blob in hand to keep the workout going. After a few takes of timed holds I started to feel the burn. Now I need to figure out how to make biceps appear. :blush I hate training non-functional lifts.

Oh...You are holding a trophy. I thought it was part of the shirt.

Im in this race too BTW. Look way back...That dot is me. :grin:

• Like 1

Thanks for the write up Matt.

Thanks for the push Russ. Now go kill a MM2 so it's dead when I get a go at it.

Great close. You really dominated this thing.

I made a correction to your profile. Had a wrong name in there. :blush I'm getting better at these and working with the forum's HTML so that each one will look the same. The formatting can be a :pinch

Yeah I saw you slip your name in there bro, lol all good man. The profiles you do are awesome. Thanks again.

Fatman face lift, The Glob lift, Red Nail in IMPs under a minute, 45+25# hub lift, 435# DO oly deadlift, bodyweight one hand axle lift, bodyweight+26# 2HP, BBE with a 20mm block, 82.5kg world records for 2HP, shallow hub and the stub.

Holy smokes, that's an incredible resume. Knew you were capable of all that stuff, but seeing it all strung together is pretty jaw dropping.

Holy smokes, that's an incredible resume. Knew you were capable of all that stuff, but seeing it all strung together is pretty jaw dropping.

Thanks Tim. I still feel like I'm chasing what others do and my own goals as well. Grip is quite diverse.