Hand Span Vs Hand Length

Eric Roussin

Does anyone have a hand span (tip up thumb to tip of pinky finger with outstretched hand) that is less than their hand length (wrist to tip of middle finger)? I have a longer than average hand -- about 8.25" -- but a span that is only a bit longer at just under 8.75". How do other people's lengths and spans compare?

I think most would have a significantly longer spread than length. I'm in the same boat as you though with about an 8" hand and 8 1/2" spread. Mine is about the narrowest spread I have heard of that has lifted the blob. Your 8 3/4 span may well make wide pinch and thickbars tough too.

I think most would have a significantly longer spread than length. I'm in the same boat as you though with about an 8" hand and 8 1/2" spread. Mine is about the narrowest spread I have heard of that has lifted the blob. Your 8 3/4 span may well make wide pinch and thickbars tough too.

I have 7.5 length and 8.5 inch (very stretched out) spread. Inch and Blob done.

Captain Crush or someone on the board lifted the blob with CRAZY small hands. LIke 7-1/4" or something. I will see if I can find the thread. I would imagine his span was small too.

Captain Crush or someone on the board lifted the blob with CRAZY small hands. LIke 7-1/4" or something. I will see if I can find the thread. I would imagine his span was small too.

It is in this thread Matt, page 6. It states 7" hands there: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=36804&hl=kovach&st=0

I got a 8" inch hand length and around a 9" spread. Nothing special. Never tried a blob or thick bar. Hoping to soon.

It is in this thread Matt, page 6. It states 7" hands there: http://www.gripboard...&hl=kovach&st=0

Thanks! I found this too: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=33716&st=0&p=468753entry468753

As far as the topic, my span is significantly longer than hand length. My hand is 7-5/8 and span is 8-3/4 (if memory serves).

7 3/4" length and 9 3/4" span stretched out

7 5/8"

9-9 1/8" depending on how hard I want to mash my hand down; could probably even make 9.25" with a good stretching program :grin: .

• 4 months later...

My difference between hand length and hand span is 2 and 3/8". That seems like a crazy difference. It has actually increased over the past few months due to some weight loss and a drastic reduction in grip training volume - especially grippers on the right hand. Last time I closed a gripper righty has been about 3 weeks ago. And due to that irritating forearm tweak I BARELY TNS closed my #2.

WOW!

Wonder if I don't have the smallest hands on the board?

just about 7 inch and 8" spread

Haven't tried a blob but I doubt I could get my hands around one. Can't even get close to palming a basketball. Kinda sad for a Hoosier :)

You won't see me complain though these hands will close a #3 soon enough.

But I won't lie it is a bit difficult for me to do a CCS for any gripper. I usually have to set it then let it expand my hand back out to the length of a credit card then as I grip slide my fingers on the knurling just a bit to get more grip.

Edited by eman