2012 Us Grip Nationals - June 9

andurniat

Thank you Bob. I will be sure to remind you.

Randall, prize packages from grateful sponsors like yourself are the main awards along with a nice plaque. Last year the Elite Class had $500 prize purse put up by the guys at Farmstrength.

Also, I don't say this enough, but thank you to Jedd and Andrew for giving us a Nationals. I appreciate it after all these years.

Thanks Bob.

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew,

Would you ever consider the inclusion of an 800 pound weight choice for the frame hold? It seems only fair that those who can hold onto 800 pounds be given the opportunity to defeat those who can only hold onto 700. After all, the event rules are written to favor maximum grip strength over grip endurance. Limiting the maximum allowable weight to 700 does a disservice to those who have more of the kind of strength that this event is testing. E.g.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Awesome trap bar pull, Rex!

Was that from a standard height (approximately 9")?

Nice pull Rex. Those big plates look like a pair of 100s I have - a good bit bigger diameter than the normal ones. Rex - try putting them together and two hand pinch lifting them. I have managed them once and Chad did them several times when he was here a couple years ago - they are a real challenge. Well for most of us - didn't seem to bother Chad any!

Awesome trap bar pull, Rex!

Was that from a standard height (approximately 9")?

The "Big 100's", as they are known at the gym, raise the bar approximately 2" above standard height. The difference in the radii of the innermost plate and the plate next to it is how much the bar is raised.

Most trap bars have two handle heights. The higher set of handles on the bars I have seen are about 3-4" higher than the other handle. E.g.

So the height of the set-up I'm using is somewhere between the height of the two handles found on a trap bar that has two handle heights.

Right now there's some discussion about just what difference, if any, the difference would make if I tried to go for 900 pounds from a 9" height. I cycle this lift in and out of my training but I should have an answer within the next couple of months.

Andrew,

Would you ever consider the inclusion of an 800 pound weight choice for the frame hold? It seems only fair that those who can hold onto 800 pounds be given the opportunity to defeat those who can only hold onto 700. After all, the event rules are written to favor maximum grip strength over grip endurance. Limiting the maximum allowable weight to 700 does a disservice to those who have more of the kind of strength that this event is testing. E.g.

Great pull. I am looking at the frame hold for time event as a grip endurance event and not a maximum effort grip event; grippers, 2hp and the rolling thunder will test maximum strength.

hey Andrew. You mentioned that you would holding an open comp in February. Is that comp going to involve the same events as nationals?

Edited by Chez

• 1 month later...

How will points be determined for the time hold? Let's say the winner gets a minute with 700 pounds (I understand he would be awarded 100 points for the win) and someone else holds the same weight for 30 seconds, and a third lifter gets 500 pounds for fifteen seconds? How many points would be awarded for those other two lifters?

How will points be determined for the time hold? Let's say the winner gets a minute with 700 pounds (I understand he would be awarded 100 points for the win) and someone else holds the same weight for 30 seconds, and a third lifter gets 500 pounds for fifteen seconds? How many points would be awarded for those other two lifters?

Let me check the formula we used at Gripmas. I'm looking at using the same weight for everyone in the individual weight classes; lighweight-400, middle-500, heavy-600, Elite-700. It will keep the scoring even and less complicated, while still determining the strongest hands.

has it been decided what's going to happen with the elite class and the different weight classes? or, is elite essentially open elite?

I'm going for "cruiser weight" - I always liked the sounds of that back when I was kid.

has it been decided what's going to happen with the elite class and the different weight classes? or, is elite essentially open elite?

At this point, in this thread, Elite is the 800-lb Total Group.

• 4 weeks later...

Not to assault you with questions and suggestions, Andrew (cough), but here's a suggestion for your consideration after the chalk dust settles from your latest contest.

Now that we have established weight classes for the international grip community, what do you think asking for a show of hands and the expected weight class of those with serious intent to compete? Then maybe we could decide which of the following weight classes are actually contested at Nationals. Of course, records could still be established and broken in all of the weight classes, regardless of whether they are contested or not.

59, 66, 74, 83, 93, 105, 120, 120+

Not to assault you with questions and suggestions, Andrew (cough), but here's a suggestion for your consideration after the chalk dust settles from your latest contest.

Now that we have established weight classes for the international grip community, what do you think asking for a show of hands and the expected weight class of those with serious intent to compete? Then maybe we could decide which of the following weight classes are actually contested at Nationals. Of course, records could still be established and broken in all of the weight classes, regardless of whether they are contested or not.

59, 66, 74, 83, 93, 105, 120, 120+

I like that A LOT. My thought is having 83, 105, 120kg classes but am not against adding in the others as needed if interest is high. I can see 93kg being added quickly.

I am planning to be 93 but the number of classes isn't a big thing either way to me.

I'll be around 93kg by then but will do any class. I'm actually thinking of joining the most competitive class if it's heavier. Is that allowed, to compete in a heavier class?

74k but I have to qualify first somehow (minor detail).

I believe Andrew will accept video submissions for the nationals qualifying lifts. Or you can do the MM2 ;)

I will definitely be in the 93 kilo class. That could certainly be one of the most competitive classes.

Daniel, I and most, if not all, of the guys in the International Grip Collective are diggin' on the idea of allowing lighter weight class guys to bump heavier weight class guys off their podium if out-lifted. This would serve to make things more competitive. Paul and I implemented this at the MMM4 Saturday. So, as an example, I won the lightest weight class and placed second in the two heavier classes.

Looks like we may have 74, 83, 93, 105 and 105+. I do like the strong lightweight guys to class up and keep it competitive.

Awesome. I like that idea. Horne used that in the WSH series. I ended up being more concerned with the overall top 10 placing than I did my own class. It just means more even if I'm not in the top 3. There is also the concept of one is only as good as their competition pushes them to be.

I will definitely be in the 93 kilo class. That could certainly be one of the most competitive classes.

Daniel, I and most, if not all, of the guys in the International Grip Collective are diggin' on the idea of allowing lighter weight class guys to bump heavier weight class guys off their podium if out-lifted. This would serve to make things more competitive. Paul and I implemented this at the MMM4 Saturday. So, as an example, I won the lightest weight class and placed second in the two heavier classes.

Looks like we may have 74, 83, 93, 105 and 105+. I do like the strong lightweight guys to class up and keep it competitive.

I think when I do my contests, I may recognize competitors from all divisions, but only award prizes on "open", ie everyone. Maybe split things in half if I get more than 10 competitors, ie "lightweight" and "heavyweight".

A model for this would be WPO powerlifting. Everyone entered in their respective weight class, but only lightweight, middleweight, and heavyweight were contested.