2012 Us Grip Nationals - June 9

andurniat

Here is Amy Wattles' report from Nationals: http://articles.elit...s-world-record/

I had the pleasure of coaching Amy prior to the event. I think she can progress to even bigger accomplishments with some more refinement. She came in not knowing anything about Grip and was looking for a new challenge. A great person and dedicated strength athlete, she has recently laid plans for opening a new gym and wants to hold grip events there in Idaho.

Grip is spreading, y'all!

Jedd

Amy has a great future in Grip - and obviously in a couple other strength sports. She's also as nice as she is strong!

Andrew, can you tell me the width of the handles on the frame? I apologize if this has been posted somewhere before. Thanks for running a great contest!

Great job everyone! Thanks for the write-ups. They were great reads.

Congrats to the winners and top 3 overall! Impressive!

Congrats to ALL!

AMAZING numbers!!!

I don't really know how to state this due to a couple of issues me and Adam have had but

I will tell it like it is and give credit where credit is due when it comes to Grip Strength.

Adam Glass has to be the "Superman of Grip"!

GEEZ! Can anyone name another individual in grip,

past or present that has progressed at the rate Adam has?

I will go out on a limb and predict that the rate Adam is going he will eventually break and hold

every world record there is in grip strength today!

Crazy! Just Crazy!!!

Huge respect for ALL competitors!!!

Edited by Mighty Joe

Given his shirt preference, wouldn't he be the "Batman of Grip"?

• Like 1

A lot of Impressive lifts.

Andrew closed a COC#4, Adam set a new 2HP record(one official and one unofficial at a even higher weight), and Jedd, who after missing his first three attempts in the 2HP, made an ultimate comback with a successful lift for his fourth and final attempt (talk about determination and perseverance!). Both Kody Burns and Amy Wattler had standout performances as well.

In all, it was a great competition with great people as always! Congratulations to all who competed and a big thank you to all the sponsors and those who helped out!

Just wanted to tell you all what a fantastic time I had! For those of you that I met, it was truly an honor. Andrew did an amazing job with this comp, Jedd is the man and Mary Ann is my new girl love. Oh wow, she's awesome and a total riot. I really am looking forward to doing some more grip, so I might be that pesky fly on the wall asking you all for input. You guys/girls know your stuff! People are missing out not doing grip comps and I intend to let them know that every chance I have!

Thanks to all of you!

And if you notice, look how long ago I joined this board. Grip has been on my to do list for a long, long time!

Amy, very impressive performance! What is your strength training background? I thought I recognized your name from my limited time on some armwrestling forums. But then thought it might've been a different first name.

Amy, very impressive performance! What is your strength training background? I thought I recognized your name from my limited time on some armwrestling forums. But then thought it might've been a different first name.

Never did arm wrestling or even thought about it. I did compete at NAHA nationals with Mary something or other. I forgot her last name. Shoot. She was big into arm wrestling. Maybe that's how it came up. My background is long in strength training and I compete in strongman and highland games. Now I can add grip to the list! :grin:

Career highlights include: World Strongwoman Championship-6th place (competed with Elizabeth Horne), North American Highlander National Champ (mix of strongman and highland games), participated in lots of strongman competitions locally and nationally. When I first started training strongman the one piece of advice always drilled into my head was to never end a workout without training grip. My first two years competing I followed that advice and from then on grip was a strength of mine. Until last year I never used straps in strongman (kind of unheard of, nearly everyone uses them) so although on the surface it looks lke I came out of no where with grip, I've been working on it for a long, long time.

Here is a cool vid of the current WSW Nina Geria giving some grip a shot. She posted this not too long ago and it makes me very happy with my performance. More and more women are trying things out which is super cool!

http://asp.elitefts....=169319&tid=202

Edited by Amy

Never did arm wrestling or even thought about it. I did compete at NAHA nationals with Mary something or other. I forgot her last name. Shoot. She was big into arm wrestling. Maybe that's how it came up. My background is long in strength training and I compete in strongman and highland games. Now I can add grip to the list! :grin:

Career highlights include: World Strongwoman Championship-6th place (competed with Elizabeth Horne), North American Highlander National Champ (mix of strongman and highland games), participated in lots of strongman competitions locally and nationally. When I first started training strongman the one piece of advice always drilled into my head was to never end a workout without training grip. My first two years competing I followed that advice and from then on grip was a strength of mine. Until last year I never used straps in strongman (kind of unheard of, nearly everyone uses them) so although on the surface it looks lke I came out of no where with grip, I've been working on it for a long, long time.

Here is a cool vid of the current WSW Nina Geria giving some grip a shot. She posted this not too long ago and it makes me very happy with my performance. More and more women are trying things out which is super cool!

Very well done, Amy! Did you mean Mary McCounnaghy?

Amy, congratulations on your performance!!! It's great to have an athlete with your accomplishments on the board!!!

Amy, thanks for the info. I bet it was indeed Mary McConnaughey - a great armwrestler and a great person. My wife and I adore Mary and I've competed with her in some USAWA comps. Met her in 2002 at a USAWA grip contest in Nebraska.

I have to say that for being the first actually sanctioned grip contest (been to lots of back yard events) the organization of it was great. Andrew and his crew of help did a great job working out the logistics for the event stations. There were some really amazing grip feats at this event and to witness them first hand really gives you a new perspective on where I personally need to take my training in the sport of grip.

Great job to all the competitors, organizers, sponsors and help. I will certainly be a return visitor to Durniat Strength.

One amazing feat I must say: I am blown away at Mark Lacina flying all the way in from Shanghai, China to London, Canada then driving a car to the US, going through US Customes rubber glove agents to get to this event in Wooster, Ohio!!! He needs an award just for that.

There are more videos up on YouTube if anyone is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PumpNRun316?feature=mhee

I was looking at some results and wanted to give a shout to Austin Acree. He posted some very impressive gains in comparison to his 2011 Nationals numbers.

Grippers

2011 = 141

2012 = 160

2HP

2011 = 167

2012 = 179

Well done buddy! MOST people are not improving at that rate. You're doing something right.

Andrew,

Could we please have the body weights for the competitors (eg for the women and the 105k+ as some may be in the 120k class for top20 lists)?

Congrats Amy! Nina Gerya will now be on your world record! Strossen already knows about your record, and confirms it?

Andrew,

Could we please have the body weights for the competitors (eg for the women and the 105k+ as some may be in the 120k class for top20 lists)?

105kg+

Nick Rosedaul - 245 lbs.

Jedd Johnson - 277 lbs.

Chez - 255 lbs.

105kg

Andrew Durniat - 227 lbs.

Adam Glass - 220 lbs.

Brent Barbe - 227 lbs.

Austin Acree - 225 lbs.

93kg

Brandon Gerber - 194 lbs.

Chris Rice - 201 lbs.

Dave Dellanave - 194 lbs.

83kg

Kody Burns - 181 lbs.

Ryan Pitts - `167 lbs.

I will PM you Amy's weight as she does not want it published publicly other than 84kg+. Likewise with MaryAnn.

Here is a list of the men's medley items for all interested:

2-45s

Blob

8# sledge lever to 17" platform with coin

10# sledge weaver to rear

Rolling Thunder + 195#

Slater MonsterBell - 135# empty

Inch DB

2.5" handle DB - 160#

York 45 hub

Hampton 35 hub

42# blob

Sorinex 4" bomb + 40#

Index finger on small dinnie ring + 90#

Grip Topz stub + 30#

126# anvil + 30#

2" Vbar @ 250#

Sorinex Saxon Bar @ 175#

2-35s

IM hub + 40#

Adam Glass 2" pinch block + 50#

Sorinex 3" pinch block + 40#

Plywood lift + 45#

Thin Pinch + 90#

Key Pinch + 45#

Double Slim from floor - 12# hammers

12# hammer to forehead

16# hammer to forehead

315# DL from lifting straps

170# 2 hand IM Go-Ready grip machine

Internal Rotation

External Rotation

Silver Bullet + 2.5kg - Vulcan @ level 9 black

Eagle Loops between fingers @ 60kg - 3 strands

Pony Clamp

5/16 grade2 reverse bend

Phone book tear - 1.25"

2-100s 2 hand pinch

• Like 1

Thanks.

No need to send me their weight numbers if both are in the 84k+ class.

Andrew,

105kg+

Nick Rosedaul - 245 lbs.

Jedd Johnson - 277 lbs.

Chez - 255 lbs.

105kg

Andrew Durniat - 227 lbs.

Adam Glass - 220 lbs.

Brent Barbe - 227 lbs.

Austin Acree - 225 lbs.

93kg

Brandon Gerber - 194 lbs.

Chris Rice - 201 lbs.

Dave Dellanave - 194 lbs.

83kg

Kody Burns - 181 lbs.

Ryan Pitts - `167 lbs.

I will PM you Amy's weight as she does not want it published publicly other than 84kg+. Likewise with MaryAnn.

Edit.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

I have to say that for being the first actually sanctioned grip contest (been to lots of back yard events) the organization of it was great. Andrew and his crew of help did a great job working out the logistics for the event stations. There were some really amazing grip feats at this event and to witness them first hand really gives you a new perspective on where I personally need to take my training in the sport of grip.

Great job to all the competitors, organizers, sponsors and help. I will certainly be a return visitor to Durniat Strength.

One amazing feat I must say: I am blown away at Mark Lacina flying all the way in from Shanghai, China to London, Canada then driving a car to the US, going through US Customes rubber glove agents to get to this event in Wooster, Ohio!!! He needs an award just for that.

http://www.youtube.c...16?feature=mhee

wow, great job with the videos.

Yes! That was her. She was awesome. The competition was a benefit for a camp with children with cancer. Her niece attended the camp. When that little girl got up there and started talking about her experiences with cancer, there wasn't a dry eye in the place. Mary competed to support her niece and the cause. It was amazing and still chokes me up thinking about that little girl.

• Like 1

Is this Durniat's #4 close?

Is this Durniat's #4 close?

[media=]

i don't believe it is. i think he struggled a bit more than that to get it. i also remember looking around and saying i don't think anyone recorded his 206 close. between chatting with people between attempts and the pace at which things went, it was easy to miss recording something unless someone was assigned to record every single attempt.