2012 Us Grip Nationals - June 9

andurniat

Huge pinch Adam! What a fantastic WR. Good to see all that high volume training paying off.

• Like 1

Grippers - 20mm block set

Nick Rosedaul - 165.98

Jedd Johnson - 174.1

Chez - 175

Andrew Durniat - 206.6

Adam Glass - 185.1

Brent Barbe - 165.98

Austin Acree - 160

Brandon Gerber - 145.91

Chris Rice - 146.3

Dave Dellanvane - 145.91

Kody Burns - 162.55

Ryan Pitts - 145.91

Amy Wattles - 89

Mary Ann MacKeague - 64

• Like 1

2 Hands Pinch

Nick Rosedaul - 195.81

Jedd Johnson - 256.17

Chez - 184.17

Andrew Durniat - 235.03

Adam Glass - 251.25

Brent Barbe - 225.97

Austin Acree - 179.33

Brandon Gerber - 193.54

Chris Rice - 224.53

Dave Dellanvane - 144.01

Kody Burns - 206.09

Ryan Pitts - 154.29

Amy Wattles - 147

Mary Ann MacKeague - 117.55

• Like 1

Double Overhand Axle Deadlift

Nick Rosedaul - 329.23

Jedd Johnson - 0

Chez - 316.7

Andrew Durniat - 455.59

Adam Glass - 429.14

Brent Barbe - 363

Austin Acree - 303.47

Brandon Gerber - 329.23

Chris Rice - 356.38

Dave Dellanvane - 323.31

Kody Burns - 376.23

Ryan Pitts - 316.7

Amy Wattles - 270.4

Mary Ann MacKeague - 171.2

• Like 1

Medley

Nick Rosedaul - 19 / 37

Jedd Johnson - 28 / 37

Chez - 14 / 37

Andrew Durniat - 36 / 37

Adam Glass - 33 / 37

Brent Barbe - 23 / 37

Austin Acree - 17 / 37

Brandon Gerber - 18 / 37

Chris Rice - 21 / 37

Dave Dellanvane - 14 / 37

Kody Burns - 23 / 37

Ryan Pitts - 17 / 37

Amy Wattles - 31 / 31

Mary Ann MacKeague - 27 / 31

Frame Hold

Men - 500# frame (83kg and 93kg pick height was 19.5" / 105kg and 105kg+ pick height was 18")

Nick Rosedaul - 57.71

Jedd Johnson - 47.88

Chez - 28.39

Andrew Durniat - 56.72

Adam Glass - 50.5

Brent Barbe - 34.63

Austin Acree - 29.52

Brandon Gerber - 46.28

Chris Rice - 21.52

Dave Dellanvane - 8.78

Kody Burns - 32.47

Ryan Pitts - 14.51

Women - 130# per hand farmers

Amy Wattles - 56.94

Mary Ann MacKeague - 43.33

Scores

105kg+

Nick Rosedaul - 43.9

Jedd Johnson - 38.3

Chez - 36.7

105kg

Andrew Durniat - 49.35

Adam Glass - 46.71

Brent Barbe - 37.6

Austin Acree - 31.6

93kg

Brandon Gerber - 46.4

Chris Rice - 44.65

Dave Dellanvane - 34.02

83kg

Kody Burns - 50.0

Ryan Pitts - 36.74

Women

Amy Wattles - 50.0

Mary Ann MacKeague - 29.91

Open Class - to determine Absolute Champion

Andrew Durniat - 49.089

Adam Glass - 46.181

Nick Rosendaul - 38.182

Brent Barbe - 37.265

Kody Burns - 36.235

Brandon Gerber - 34.934

Jedd Johnson - 34.574

Chris Rice - 33.263

Chez - 31.463

Austin Acree - 31.288

Ryan Pitts - 27.295

Dave Dellanvane - 25.204

Amy Wattles - 270.4

That is impressive!

Congratulations to everyone, to Andrew, and double congrats to AD for producing the event.

Some mind boggling performances!!! Congratulations!!!

It is truly amazing that people were holding 500# for almost a full minute. Is the frame hold going to be a staple at nationals going forward or was that just a one time thing?

Some huge lifts at this contest! Big congrats to all.

It is truly amazing that people were holding 500# for almost a full minute. Is the frame hold going to be a staple at nationals going forward or was that just a one time thing?

The 5th event changes frequently as we continue to challenge the grip to its fullest.

• Like 1

god i hope not. After the wrist roller I was thinking, oh let's not do that again for a while...after the frame hold I like the wrist roller. I think that is called perspective :shutup:

• Like 1

Amy Wattles - 270.4

That is impressive!

Congratulations to everyone, to Andrew, and double congrats to AD for producing the event.

yes, that is by far the most i have heard out of a woman. great effort.

So I will be the first one to ask - Where was everyone at? How many lifters are there is we were to draw a 3-4 hour drive time circle around Wooster? How can it be there were LESS people in 2012 then in 2011?

Great work guys, those are some crazy huge numbers!

So I will be the first one to ask - Where was everyone at? How many lifters are there is we were to draw a 3-4 hour drive time circle around Wooster? How can it be there were LESS people in 2012 then in 2011?

Maybe you intimidated everybody with your Youtube vids of you farmer's walking the Inch dbs around like child's play? Or maybe it was the vids of the 400+ lbs DO Axle? or maybe it was all the other stuff you've been doing (fat handled db cleans, snatches, etc.)?

I'm thinking of flying out next year, but I'll need to elevate my training and compete in some more local contests to place in the middle of the pack at nationals, that's for sure.

Was that a silver bullet hold with a vulcan in the medley?

Edited by bwwm

Andrew,

Could we please have the body weights for the competitors (eg for the women and the 105k+ as some may be in the 120k class for top20 lists)?

I want to say great job o Andrew on the organization of this event - SUPERB.

Also, great performances to everyone who competed. More detail later.

It is important to remember that grip sport is a hobby for nearly everyone involved. Very few of us are COMMITTED to it. We like it. It's fun. We want to see it grow. But there are other, greater priorities in our lives that take precedence. There may be a few guys who talk big game, but never show. However, the majority of people who can not attend contests have legit reasons.

Andrew put on another great contest. Improvements in organization were made in every area, and further areas for improvement were identified.

Two people I want to point out (I know, I am biased): Jedd and Nicki. Jedd was having a seriously off day, but he held it together and acted like the champion that he is. I've seen him implode after poor lifts in the past; so proud of how he dealt with adversity. Nicki continues to get better. The frame hold favored him, and Jedd's poor performance gave him the chance; but Nicki maximized his ability on the day. Now, if he could come into a contest strong...

Nationals 2012

Held at Andrews Gym (which is awesome) this contest was planned and executed to near perfection.

Grippers always go smoothly and quickly – albeit boringly as well to watch. I hate grippers :grin:

Two Hand Pinch has always been the nearly perfect grip event – except it took hours and hours to complete. The new setup – which consists of Doc’s design for quickly changeable widths with a “lift” to facilitate weight and width changes worked great. This was certainly the way of the future for the event. And having separate warm up Euro setups made for a really smooth and quick event. Andrew also had two loaders who were not competitors – they were really on top of things – great job and a big thank you to both of them. They kept everything really moving along here – in the Axle as well and were great all around.

Axle DL went smoothly with some great lifts being done.

The Medley consisted of 37 items and had things for everyone – something difficult to manage. The tests were varied and tested one’s grip in about every way imaginable.

The Frame Hold was originally going to be 3 different weights by weight class – but Andrew wanted to be able to score the contest by weight class as well as by an “overall” which meant we needed to all do the same weight on the frame. We all voted and decided to do 500# or the middle weight choice. This worked out really well I thought. I like scoring contests this way a lot. You get to compete against those your own size but still see how you compare in the big picture – I like!

The prize packages were huge – piles and pile of loot from many different sponsors – a huge Thank you to all who sponsored the contest.

My personal side at Nationals.in my weight class

Grippers – an easy COC#3 – 146.3# - 1st place

2 HP – 224.53# - 1st place

Axle – 356.38 - 1st place – I have to check but I think this may be a contest PR of 3#

Medley – 21 of 37 items - 1st place

Frame Hold – 21.52 seconds – 2nd place. Brandon destroyed me here with a great performance for the win!

93K Class finish – 2nd Place

I met some great new people and enjoyed having another gray haired guy there in Ryan. I enjoy the visiting almost as much as the lifting. I’d like to encourage people to compete – you are never too new or too weak to enjoy the sport – Nationals may be the exception due to the qualifying standards but please – jump in and get your feet wet at a contest of your choice.

Edited by climber511

Here is Amy Wattles' report from Nationals: http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/strongman-articles/grip-nationals-2012-and-amys-world-record/

I had the pleasure of coaching Amy prior to the event. I think she can progress to even bigger accomplishments with some more refinement. She came in not knowing anything about Grip and was looking for a new challenge. A great person and dedicated strength athlete, she has recently laid plans for opening a new gym and wants to hold grip events there in Idaho.

Grip is spreading, y'all!

Jedd

Congrats to all the competitors! Some insane numbers put up on a bunch of things. Loved reading about the results and the write-ups are always the best part of things if you weren't there to compete. Got me fired up enough to do one of the best Rolling Thunder workouts of the past few years so right on to that.