2012 Us Grip Nationals - June 9

andurniat

It is not necessary for a promoter to offer all (or any) classes in their contest - that is totally up to the promoter. What is necessary is that all competitors be weighed in with a certified or "point calibrated" scale no more than 2 hours prior to the start of the comp. Then no matter the awards etc given at the contest itself – the appropriate weight class results and records can be kept track of. A large contest and a small contest would likely have a different number of clases offered but that is up to the promoter.

Edited by climber511

It is not necessary for a promoter to offer all (or any) classes in their contest - that is totally up to the promoter. What is necessary is that all competitors be weighed in with a certified or "point calibrated" scale no more than 2 hours prior to the start of the comp. Then no matter the awards etc given at the contest itself – the appropriate weight class results and records can be kept track of. A large contest and a small contest would likely have a different number of clases offered but that is up to the promoter.

It needs to be pointed out that this is only necessary IF the promoter is using rated plates. No rated plates, no records and no need to weigh in. All lifts will still count for Elite total and national qualifying.

Danial - putting on a contest is a ton of work as you know - weighing plates etc seems like a small thing to do in the grand scheme of things - and it only has to be done once. It would be a real shame to have a huge day - set a World Record and not have it count. If it's in any way possible - I hope you consider doing it. Yeah it's a pain but once it's done - you'll be glad you did it.

Danial - putting on a contest is a ton of work as you know - weighing plates etc seems like a small thing to do in the grand scheme of things - and it only has to be done once. It would be a real shame to have a huge day - set a World Record and not have it count. If it's in any way possible - I hope you consider doing it. Yeah it's a pain but once it's done - you'll be glad you did it.

Eventually I'd like to cal my plates as in literally make them the correct weights for both records use and ease of use during a contest. But for now I really haven't had the time to go to the shipping store with all the weights to even rate them. Being a first contest I doubt people are there to break records (but now with new classes looks like every lift is a new record, for the time being). And I'm in no position to break records with my new weight. Also I want it to run really quickly and with ease. And I'd probably have to make two trips in the Mustang 30 miles out to the gym to bring all the weights, or I can use the gym's weights they have there. If I can find the time I'll do it before my comp but as it looks probably not. Most the people coming out are just looking to have fun and possibly get a prize. No one has mentioned the intent to break a record.

Just a suggestion here: with the adoption of eight weight classes the argument that the axle is a big boy's lift loses a lot of its merit. I believe the axle is easier to judge objectively than is the Rolling Thunder. Perhaps the axle should be reconsidered for replacement of the Rolling Thunder in Nationals. After all, it tests both hands simultaneously, has more visual appeal (big weights, actual two hands deadlift), and is being used already for Elite status determination.

Just a suggestion here: with the adoption of eight weight classes the argument that the axle is a big boy's lift loses a lot of its merit. I believe the axle is easier to judge objectively than is the Rolling Thunder. Perhaps the axle should be reconsidered for replacement of the Rolling Thunder in Nationals. After all, it tests both hands simultaneously, has more visual appeal (big weights, actual two hands deadlift), and is being used already for Elite status determination.

I am considering a couple of adjustments for Nationals; RT and Axle, as well as changing the Frame hold to a Hercules hold, same emphasis / easier on the lower back.

do you mean adding axle or dropping something?

why would we need 2 thick bar events?

do you mean adding axle or dropping something?

why would we need 2 thick bar events?

Drop RT and add Axle. Now that we have weight classes it is less of a big guy lift and more even across the classes now.

• Like 1

Looks like we may have 74, 83, 93, 105 and 105+. I do like the strong lightweight guys to class up and keep it competitive.

You and I can bump up to meet Jedd and Tim. Or they can cut down to meet us :)

I am considering a couple of adjustments for Nationals; RT and Axle, as well as changing the Frame hold to a Hercules hold, same emphasis / easier on the lower back.

I like it, although I was looking forward to trying for a 250 RT

i will be competing this month at the movement Mn with ATG, if i earn my way through those qualifing events i will be there june 9th for the nationals i may need a little more time for some events, also i will be hosting a worlds strongest hand leg 3 in boston this summer at my house, this is going to be an outstanding year for me great work everyone looking forward to meeting all you in person thanks for all your help

i will be competing this month at the movement Mn with ATG, if i earn my way through those qualifing events i will be there june 9th for the nationals i may need a little more time for some events, also i will be hosting a worlds strongest hand leg 3 in boston this summer at my house, this is going to be an outstanding year for me great work everyone looking forward to meeting all you in person thanks for all your help

Awesome.

• Like 1

If you don't get qualified at the comp you can submit video. or, work up the MM ladder. you should be able to get some extra lifts in that way, depending what happens at the contest.

If you don't get qualified at the comp you can submit video. or, work up the MM ladder. you should be able to get some extra lifts in that way, depending what happens at the contest.

Mike is strong, I have no doubt he will be qualified by the end of this month

Andrew, will the top 20 finish in World's Strongest Hands be considered a qualifier?

Are there qualifications standards for women? I have someone who wiould like to compete.

Thanks,

Jedd

Here is the current list of qualifying standards as set by NAGS:

Qualification Chance 1:

Athletes in the Open Class who Total Elite:

• Total of 800-lbs between Grippers, Axle, and Two Hand Pinch
  • Finish in the top 3 out of 7 in your class (Novice, Open B, Open A) in a NAGS-sanctioned contest
  • Finish in the top position of your class (less than 7 competitors) in a NAGS-sanctioned contest

Qualification Chance 2:

Athletes can also qualify for Nationals by completing 3 of the following feats during the 2011 – 2012 season in NAGS-sanctioned contests. (Can occur during multiple contests)

• 1″ Vertical Bar – 325
  • 2″ FBBC Vertical Bar – 200
  • Gripper – Close Level 13 Gold on the Vulcan or 150# Gripper Close (parallel or 20-mm Block Set)
  • Bending – Grade 8×6″ bolt, Wrist Developer Level 5 Gold
  • IronMind Axle Deadlift – 325
  • Euro Two Hands Pinch – 200
  • One Hand Deadlift on Olympic / Powerlifting Bar – 250
  • 50-lb Blob to Lockout
  • Rolling Thunder – 180
  • Two 45’s Pinch to Lockout

Qualification Chance 3:

Complete any of the following Certifications during the 2011 – 2012 Grip season

• Certify for IronMind Captain of Crush (#3 or #3.5)
  • Certify for IronMind Red Nail Roster
  • Certify as Gripboard Mash Monster

Qualification Chance 4:

Complete any one of the following Wild Card feats during the 2011 – 2012 season in NAGS-sanctioned contests.

• Close #4 Gripper with parallel set or wider (choker included)
  • Break US Record in Two Hands Pinch
  • Break US Record in 1-inch Vertical Bar (LGC Standard or FBBC Standard)
  • Break US Record in 2-inch Vertical Bar (FBBC Standard)
  • Break US Record in the Axle Deadlift

What do we feel should be added to the list and what percentage should be adopted for the 82.5kg weight-class?

I would also say that the top 3 from each division at the 2011 Nationals should receive an automatic to the following year 2012.

No qualifying limits for the woman's class (not enough competing to cut the field yet)

Lifting the Inch DB should be added to the list.

Regarding the above in bold, were percentage lifts ever established for Nationals qualifying?

Andrew or Greg - I forget the distance between the handles on the frame - 36" maybe? I want to make a "spreader" for my Farmers Bars to duplicate the frame - can you post that measurement for me please?

I'm still wondering about qualifying lifts for the lighter classes. For example, a BW gripper close, 120% BW 2HP, and 200% BW axle lift will not even qualify me for Nationals. The only thing on the whole list is the gripper would probably be a #3. I think this is a problem, but I am also one of the lightest guys. I realize I'm in the minority.

I'm still wondering about qualifying lifts for the lighter classes. For example, a BW gripper close, 120% BW 2HP, and 200% BW axle lift will not even qualify me for Nationals. The only thing on the whole list is the gripper would probably be a #3. I think this is a problem, but I am also one of the lightest guys. I realize I'm in the minority.

Matt - Andrew and I discussed this very briefly yesterday - I feel that with Andrew putting it on and Jedd as the titular head of US Grip - that this is a decision for them to make. I will say though that Andrew does see the need for differing numbers for the different classes and think you will see something before long on this. With no numbers available yet for all the different weight classes until they have been used in a few contests - I doubt there will be numbers for each and every class but I feel the numbers exist for at least a "light weight" set of numbers based on the old 82.5 class results. This should help you lighter guys out a lot.

Chris, distance between centerline of handles is approximately 33 inches. That's from memory. I don't have my notebook handy.

Chris, distance between centerline of handles is approximately 33 inches. That's from memory. I don't have my notebook handy.

Thanks Doc - it should be easy enough to make a "frame" out or my Farmers bars for practice for this.

Chris, does this mean that Andrew finally decided not to go with the Hercules Hold he was considering as a replacement for the frame hold?

Eric - I don't know. What I do know is that he ask me to bring all my stuff up and see if we could make a Hercules Hold setup work with his power racks - and I set it all up easily. So equipment wise he can do either one - all he has to do is choose.

Eric - I don't know. What I do know is that he ask me to bring all my stuff up and see if we could make a Hercules Hold setup work with his power racks - and I set it all up easily. So equipment wise he can do either one - all he has to do is choose.

Ok, thanks. I've never tried a Hercules hold. Sounds like fun, though.