2012 Us Grip Nationals - June 9

andurniat

The date for the 2012 US Grip National Championships will be Saturday, June 9.

Durniat Strength

3065 East Lincoln Way

Wooster

Ohio

Events:

Grippers - 20mm Block set

2 HP

Double Overhand Axle

Medley

Frame Hold for time

There will also be an adjustment to our traditional order of events to help things run smooth and quicker.

Elite and Woman's classes will follow the traditional line-up:

1) grippers

2) 2hp

3) Axle

4) medley

5) frame hold

The Open and 82.5kg class will go this way:

1) grippers

2) Axle

3) 2hp

4) medley

5) frame hold

My goals is also for the men's and women's medley's to also be run at the same time.

Other logistics:

Airports:

Canton/Akron - 45 minutes

Cleveland - 1 hr.

Columbus - 1 1/2 hrs.

I will compile a list or area Hotels and any group rates I can acquire.

Entry form, paperwork, sponsors list and anything else I can think of to come soon.

That order of the events means the 82.5k 2HP WR will be safe.

1) grippers

2) RT

3) 2hp

4) medley

5) frame hold

Looks to be great! Time for me to dust off the RT.

If there is a pic of the frame hold or even better a way for people train at home for it?

1) grippers

2) RT

3) 2hp

4) medley

5) frame hold

Dude, if someone was breaking the 2HP WR they shouldn't be in the LW class or Open class. They should be in the Elite class. Besides, Jedd is the only one pushing the record up at the moment. ;)

You can use farmers handles or a trap bar to train it Daniel.

Looks to be great! Time for me to dust off the RT. If there is a pic of the frame hold or even better a way for people train at home for it?
The Open and 82.5kg class will go this way: 1) grippers 2) RT 3) 2hp 4) medley 5) frame hold
Dude, if someone was breaking the 2HP WR they shouldn't be in the LW class or Open class. They should be in the Elite class. Besides, Jedd is the only one pushing the record up at the moment. ;)

Dan, I think he meant the 82.5 record that Bob currently holds. You wouldn't likely be in a good position to do really well having just lifted a RT max.

@Mike thanks bro. So its something like lifting a frame off the ground then?

@Matt ah, oops. Well either wa RT is only one hand and depending on the althete may not affect the 2HP as much. If we only worried about records maybe we should only ever have the 2HP first.

@Mike thanks bro. So its something like lifting a frame off the ground then?

@Matt ah, oops. Well either wa RT is only one hand and depending on the althete may not affect the 2HP as much. If we only worried about records maybe we should only ever have the 2HP first.

It will be exactly like lifting a frame off the ground and then you hold it as long as you can. Farmers and trap bar holds will be excellent training. The handles will be standard diameter with NO knurling.

My thoughts exactly on records and the 2hp. Train hard, records will come.

Edited by ADurniat

It will be exactly like lifting a frame off the ground and then you hold it as long as you can. Farmers and trap bar holds will be excellent training. The handles will be standard diameter with NO knurling.

Awesome. Time to buy a trap bar.

No, that will not be enough. Having RT before the 2HP will probably ensure that the record is safe. Within a year from now the WR in the 2HP in the 82.5k class will be at a level where it is plain obvious that unless conditions are perfect (i.e., temp./humidity and only having a gripper type of event before the 2HP) the record will not fall. Thickbar lifting kills the 2HP. The record will probably be in the hands of someone who go to great lengths of maximising their strength for grip. In my case for example I don't do any squats as this exercise packs on muscle on your body that is not really that helpful for grip strength in the LW class. You don't see too many elite AW's with huge quads. One might argue that compettors should have great overall strength (by doing squats etc.) but don't come crying when the pinch records (1HP and 2HP) in the LW class are taken by someone applying AW logic to their training.

Having said this, as organiser you can arrange the order of events any way you like it. My comments are simply my thoughts on what it will take to beat a pinch record once the record has matured a bit.

My thoughts exactly on records and the 2hp. Train hard, records will come.

You picked the wrong thread to sell your 2HP and 1HP record jargon. If you aren't coming to the comp don't worry about it.

It's only one comp. How many will take place during the year in the U.S.? Many. If someone wants a record they will find a way to get it. The point with Nationals is to be the best, records are secondary, and probably realistically come third to the commradery people seek at Nats. And do you really think Bob's record won't be broken anytime soon regardless of event orders? No offence to Bob but I see that as a number that can be beaten by a few 82.5k guys, and even Bob himself when the finger heals. My pull was 199# in 110 degrees 40% humidity and was the 2nd time I'd seen a 2HP. :whistel

Personally I like the events and am not worried about the order. Andrew has it set out and all I have to do is train for it. I'm dusting the RT off regardless of whether I like it and am on craigslists looking for a trap bar.

I was not really trying to sell anything. I would like to see the 2HP record beaten in this comp by you 82.5k guys and I simply pointed out that the order of the events will probably prevent this from happening.

"...My pull was 199# in 110 degrees 40% humidity and was the 2nd time I'd seen a 2HP..."

Awesome but some people do better on the 2HP with high humidity (40% RH is actually quite dry), like myself and Wade for example. You got a very good start in the WSH series, no doubt about that.

You picked the wrong thread to sell your 2HP and 1HP record jargon. If you aren't coming to the comp don't worry about it.

It's only one comp. How many will take place during the year in the U.S.? Many. If someone wants a record they will find a way to get it. The point with Nationals is to be the best, records are secondary, and probably realistically come third to the commradery people seek at Nats. And do you really think Bob's record won't be broken anytime soon regardless of event orders? No offence to Bob but I see that as a number that can be beaten by a few 82.5k guys, and even Bob himself when the finger heals. My pull was 199# in 110 degrees 40% humidity and was the 2nd time I'd seen a 2HP. :whistel

Personally I like the events and am not worried about the order. Andrew has it set out and all I have to do is train for it. I'm dusting the RT off regardless of whether I like it and am on craigslists looking for a trap bar.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

I was not really trying to sell anything. I would like to see the 2HP record beaten in this comp by you 82.5k guys and I simply pointed out that the order of the events will probably prevent this from happening.

I think it was 2006. At the time, Mikael's world record passion was the One Inch LGC Vertical Bar. He kept saying the World Record would not be broken at the US Nationals (then called GGC). I told him it would. We wagered a gripper. I lost and had to pay International shipping to Australia for a Super Master.

I was convinced Dave Thorton would get it. I don't remember exactly why Mikael had his specific reasons why it wouldn't happen, but the logic, at its core, was similar to his current approach: an analysis with more objective thought into the matter than we usually see here.

I have always enjoyed Mikael's lengthy discussions and sometimes arguments. But it is unlikely I would bet him anytime soon again.

I think it was 2006. At the time, Mikael's world record passion was the One Inch LGC Vertical Bar. He kept saying the World Record would not be broken at the US Nationals (then called GGC). I told him it would. We wagered a gripper. I lost and had to pay International shipping to Australia for a Super Master.

I was convinced Dave Thorton would get it. I don't remember exactly why Mikael had his specific reasons why it wouldn't happen, but the logic, at its core, was similar to his current approach: an analysis with more objective thought into the matter than we usually see here.

I have always enjoyed Mikael's lengthy discussions and sometimes arguments. But it is unlikely I would bet him anytime soon again.

Chad Woodall broke the record on calibrated plate sin 2006. I broke it in 2005 with non-calibrated plates. Then when we weighed them the combination was a few pounds short. From that day on I knew how important calibrated plates were.

This might be a good time to list and possibly talk about the qualifying standards for Nationals - time frame - event numbers etc.

This might be a good time to list and possibly talk about the qualifying standards for Nationals - time frame - event numbers etc.

Good point Chris!

I think that percentages of the current contest world record would be a good way to set the qualifying standards.

For the 82.5kg class they would have to 2HP (for instance) 75% of the contest record.

Here is the current list of qualifying standards as set by NAGS:

Qualification Chance 1:

Athletes in the Open Class who Total Elite:

• Total of 800-lbs between Grippers, Axle, and Two Hand Pinch
  • Finish in the top 3 out of 7 in your class (Novice, Open B, Open A) in a NAGS-sanctioned contest
  • Finish in the top position of your class (less than 7 competitors) in a NAGS-sanctioned contest

Qualification Chance 2:

Athletes can also qualify for Nationals by completing 3 of the following feats during the 2011 – 2012 season in NAGS-sanctioned contests. (Can occur during multiple contests)

• 1″ Vertical Bar – 325
  • 2″ FBBC Vertical Bar – 200
  • Gripper – Close Level 13 Gold on the Vulcan or 150# Gripper Close (parallel or 20-mm Block Set)
  • Bending – Grade 8×6″ bolt, Wrist Developer Level 5 Gold
  • IronMind Axle Deadlift – 325
  • Euro Two Hands Pinch – 200
  • One Hand Deadlift on Olympic / Powerlifting Bar – 250
  • 50-lb Blob to Lockout
  • Rolling Thunder – 180
  • Two 45’s Pinch to Lockout

Qualification Chance 3:

Complete any of the following Certifications during the 2011 – 2012 Grip season

• Certify for IronMind Captain of Crush (#3 or #3.5)
  • Certify for IronMind Red Nail Roster
  • Certify as Gripboard Mash Monster

Qualification Chance 4:

Complete any one of the following Wild Card feats during the 2011 – 2012 season in NAGS-sanctioned contests.

• Close #4 Gripper with parallel set or wider (choker included)
  • Break US Record in Two Hands Pinch
  • Break US Record in 1-inch Vertical Bar (LGC Standard or FBBC Standard)
  • Break US Record in 2-inch Vertical Bar (FBBC Standard)
  • Break US Record in the Axle Deadlift

What do we feel should be added to the list and what percentage should be adopted for the 82.5kg weight-class?

I would also say that the top 3 from each division at the 2011 Nationals should receive an automatic to the following year 2012.

No qualifying limits for the woman's class (not enough competing to cut the field yet)

Lifting the Inch DB should be added to the list.

Some thoughts

I think the Inch Dumbbell Replica should be pretty much a given as a Qualifying event.

The Plateau Buster perhaps? Pick a number.

How do the Vulcan Gold and New spring compare? Do we need a different level to qualify with it?

And perhaps a set of numbers for the use of wider block sets? Example might be 150# for parallel or 20 mm and 145# for 30mm or something? We are starting to see different blocks being used or talked of being used and the difficulty does change.

I have mixed feelings about a top three finish in the Novice class qualifying for Nationals. Perhaps from last years comp only. Firstly I don’t believe a Novice class should exist at Nationals – by its very nature – it should be excluded there. It was discussed that people only be allowed one contest as a Novice and only one and I think that is as it should be – this means you could not have a Novice class there as only those meeting the high standards would qualify.

Some thoughts

I think the Inch Dumbbell Replica should be pretty much a given as a Qualifying event.

The Plateau Buster perhaps? Pick a number.

How do the Vulcan Gold and New spring compare? Do we need a different level to qualify with it?

And perhaps a set of numbers for the use of wider block sets? Example might be 150# for parallel or 20 mm and 145# for 30mm or something? We are starting to see different blocks being used or talked of being used and the difficulty does change.

I have mixed feelings about a top three finish in the Novice class qualifying for Nationals. Perhaps from last years comp only. Firstly I don’t believe a Novice class should exist at Nationals – by its very nature – it should be excluded there. It was discussed that people only be allowed one contest as a Novice and only one and I think that is as it should be – this means you could not have a Novice class there as only those meeting the high standards would qualify.

I am not going to have a Novice class at Nationals 2012. If a novice qualifies, he will compete in the open class or Elite class if he qualifies for it.

• Like 1

I've already hit the qualifier on the Vulcan so i have no skin in the game on this. One of the biggest contests every year is Gripmas, which uses choked grippers. I think we should set a choked gripper qualifyer as well. Say 185 or better. Since this is one of, if not the best attended contests, it would give a lot of people something to shoot for.

• 2 weeks later...

No hook grip on frame hold - correct?

That is correct. NO hook grip or straps on the frame hold or any event.

No hook grip on frame hold - correct?

That is correct. NO hook grip or straps on the frame hold or any event.

Standard 1 to 1.25" handles on the frame hold? Like a strongman frame... ?