Hey Everyone, I Wannt To Get A Grip!

Guest aaron_theweakhanded

haha, you know what i mean:P its for my knife which i am not doing the best job of controlling. So what i am wondering is what are some good, effecive grip strengthening techniques. I don't have much equipment.

Are you using this knife in your job or is this for self defense? If it's for self defense there is quite a few martial arts enthusiats on the board I'll let them chime in on some specific exercises for that.

If you list your equipment you have available that would help as well.

Off the top of my head I would say sledge hammer levers would help your knife grip the most...then maybe some pliar holds or Coc work if you have them.

Jon@han

self defence and work, its a multi tasking knife :P

well for excercise equipment ive got those little springy things that are supposedly for your grip, they just work my forearm though.

ive got a sledgehammer

your help is appreciated :bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow

aaron,

First of all, I would say get the grippers. Go to IronMind and order the Trainer, #1, #2 and #3 if you can afford it. The grippers help a lot, and are just plain old fun! :yikes Then, stay tuned to this forum, because we will help ya with any questions you might have.

But like I said, get the grippers. Actually call IronMind and request that they send you a free catalog. Then when you get the catalog, place your order.

http://www.ironmind.com

but are there any excercises i can do with household stuff? i have these little homo bally total fitness grippers thsat i got at zellers, they suck ass.

Try just working your last two fingers (ring/pinky) with the bally grippers until you can get some Coc's.

Crushing apples and the brutal potatoes is great. There's a post on the old gripboard with a great idea with potatoes. The idea was to cook them a little bit then the next time boil them for less time, etc. until you can mash a raw one!

Jon@han

aaron,

Many ideas about using household stuff! :)

Here's one of the old strongman tricks. Pick up a chair by the leg and hold it as it would sit naturally. Wow, this works the grip, your wrist, your entire arm! :ohmy

Take a broom, and holding it at the end of the stick, try and hold it out vertically. Again, grip and wrist.

Take the edge of a door and grip it. Then use your body to pull away from the door while you are still pinching it.

The IronMind catalog will give you a lot more ideas about using other household items.

One of the things I picked up was a bag of shot from a local gunstore (#7 chilled, 25 pound bag). Then get a canvas bag to put this bag of shot into. Now you have a small bag to practice pinching. I took this bag to work one day and no one could lift it just by pinching it and lifting it! :blink When I showed them how to do it, they were astounded by my ability to lift the bag! ;)

Also, if you've heard about the baseball/softball lift - there is another alternative. I got a 16 pound shotput, and I practice lifting that. It's very challenging; it reminds me of a rounded blob.

So you see, there are many ideas. A must read is John Brookfield's book, "Mastery Of Hand Strength", and you can get it from IronMind. IT IS A MUST READ ON THIS FORUM! :cool

The most important thing: we are here to help you achieve your grip goals. Any questions you have, all you have to do is ask!! :D