Az Cactus Grip 2012 - Event Planning

acorn

Looks like I'm running out of excuses. I'm going make this trip happen no matter what. Thanks so much for that offer Tim.

You're very welcome. Looking forward to meeting you. Hope you like to eat good steak.

Steak? Did someone mention steak? Now I have to make sure I make it down there.

There is no WR recorded in the 82.5k class for the 2'' FBBC vbar so you may want to consider using calibrated weights in this event (along with a calibrated vbar).

Same here Chez. The more I think about this comp the more i'm committing to it. If I can convince the gf to come make it a vacation trip with me i'll be able to seal the deal now.

Aaron, I hope to try a 2" Vbar event. For some reason that one peaks my interest even though I only touched one at Jedds when I saw it just sitting there. 4 plates was a tease I guess.

That would be great! Hope you can make it out. If there is enough interest in the 2" vbar by the potential competitors we will do it. Me personally, I could take it or leave it.

- Aaron

There is no WR recorded in the 82.5k class for the 2'' FBBC vbar so you may want to consider using calibrated weights in this event (along with a calibrated vbar).

This will be interesting to see what Daniel can pull on the 2" vbar! I think 250lbs will be a good opener. And 275lbs wouldn't surprise me. Heck, with him - 300lbs wouldn't really shock me. :grin:

This will be interesting to see what Daniel can pull on the 2" vbar! I think 250lbs will be a good opener. And 275lbs wouldn't surprise me. Heck, with him - 300lbs wouldn't really shock me. :grin:

Good point, I didn't know there wasn't a 82,5 record for this.

If I were to do this event I would do what Ben suggested. 275 seems doable in my mind right now. I know 4 45s on the FBBC bar (whatever it weighs) feels like a toy after a long grip day at Jedd's place. That's all I know.

I have a 1" FBBC Vbar coming and will try that out this week. Not sure if these lifts are comparable.

Good point, I didn't know there wasn't a 82,5 record for this.

If I were to do this event I would do what Ben suggested. 275 seems doable in my mind right now. I know 4 45s on the FBBC bar (whatever it weighs) feels like a toy after a long grip day at Jedd's place. That's all I know.

I have a 1" FBBC Vbar coming and will try that out this week. Not sure if these lifts are comparable.

205lbs approximately when you have four 45s on the FBBC 2" vbar. 1" vbar is a great lift (one of my favorites, as you probably know) - but it's not a good indicator of your ability on the 2" vbar. Not to pick on Eaton...but to slightly pick on Eaton, lol...I believe his best 1" vbar pull was around 255lbs when he manhandled 275lbs at the MGC.

Ben - do you think you'll make it out to AZ?

Unfortunately not. Aaron is a great guy, and a buddy of mine. As are some of the others out there - like Russ. And Derek is still in AZ, right? Anyway, I'm not on the possible list for the AZ contest next year. It would be a little different if it was a bit closer. I think it's about 18 hours away. Next year I'll only be able to attend contests (8 hours away at max) if I carpool and split gas and other stuff like that. 18 hours is just too much to ask the average guy to split. Then there's getting the time off - which is becoming harder for me.

Are you the same "bwwm" that I've been giving 2" vbar advice to on the Dragon Door forum by the way? I hope you get to compete at the AZ contest so you can put that to use in a contest setting! It's a blast man.

There are actually four vacant WR's on the two established standards LGC (25mm and 50mm) and FBBC (1'' and 2'') in the 82.5k class. The 50mm LGC vbar (which accepts certified competition plates) is a rare piece of equipment. I have one and my training partner Lee has one as does Martin Arildsson. You can buy one from Martin if you really nag him (he has 13 in stock I think).

Are you the same "bwwm" that I've been giving 2" vbar advice to on the Dragon Door forum by the way? I hope you get to compete at the AZ contest so you can put that to use in a contest setting! It's a blast man.

Hi Ben, yes I am. I find training for the Tactical Strength Challenge to be very motivating for my other training. So I was digging around on the net looking for something similar and local for grip. Obviously I found this thread.

• 1 month later...

Verified the date with the Venue yesterday. Gonna be at CrossfitWorks again. They have been very accommodating with us here in town on previous comps so it will be a good deal. I'm working on getting everything made that needs to get done now. Hoping to have a couple of interesting pieces done for the medley and gonna build some adjustable grippers (possibly light up) to be used in the comp and given as trophies to top 3 in each class. Will work on getting them laser engraved too.

Please let me know if you are interested in doing the comp so I can get an idea of the numbers. I'll have entry forms up soon and finalize the entree fee as well.

Thanks,

Aaron

I plan to be there. Let me know if you need any help with prep.

Gail and I have each booked the time off so once I get verification from management the flights will be booked :sorcerer:

Gail and I have each booked the time off so once I get verification from management the flights will be booked :sorcerer:

Awesome! Was Gail gonna compete too? Also how long were you guys thinking of staying in town?

Im in. I can bring some stuff too if needed

If you have anything you think might be interesting in the medley, let me know and we will prolly add it. Gonna try to keep it interesting for everyone from complete novices to Super-Human Beasts like Tim and Adam.

- Aaron

Awesome! Was Gail gonna compete too? Also how long were you guys thinking of staying in town?

We'll probably fly out on Thursday and come back the following Tuesday or Wednesday. Gail isn't interested in competing I'm grateful that she'd even come to watch lol.

We'll probably fly out on Thursday and come back the following Tuesday or Wednesday. Gail isn't interested in competing I'm grateful that she'd even come to watch lol.

Well hopefully we will have some real nice weather for you guys then. Its been in the upper 70's this week here.

- Aaron

• Like 1

Sounds like a lot of grip all stars are going to be there. Its a far trip for me but it sounds like a lot of fun. You only live once right. I'm in. I wanna compete and learn from the best.

Sounds like a lot of grip all stars are going to be there. Its a far trip for me but it sounds like a lot of fun. You only live once right. I'm in. I wanna compete and learn from the best.

Aaron, Tim and Adam know a TON. And the best part is they like to share info and help people.

I sent another vacation request REMINDER to the ******* scheduler last night. Once he puts it down I'll buy a flight!

• Like 1

If you have anything you think might be interesting in the medley, let me know and we will prolly add it. Gonna try to keep it interesting for everyone from complete novices to Super-Human Beasts like Tim and Adam.

- Aaron

Ill bring that buoy filled with lead.

You obviously know I'm in, but just so it's internet official.. "I'm in!". I'm also down for loading up both before and after the comp. Thats alot of stuff for you to lug by yourself! Also, remember, if ya need any help with fabbin' anything up I'm just a text away! Can't wait brother!

Also.. for those that like beer, I'm prolly gonna brew my Oaked Irish Red Ale again for the comp... just sayin.

I'm also down for loading up both before and after the comp. Also.. for those that like beer, I'm prolly gonna brew my Oaked Irish Red Ale again for the comp... just sayin.

I would sugest just getting loaded after the comp, I'll join in.

• Like 1

Just wanted to reiterate the open door at my house for anyone coming in from out of town. I'm on the far NW side of town, about 45 minutes from Aaron's house and Crossfit Works, and 50-60 minutes from the airport. I can also pick up folks from the airport. Let me know in advance so I can have the room and plenty of food ready!

What are some good spots for a hotel near Aaron's or the gym?