Adam Glass, Level 2

Cannon

gallery_9552_18_411.jpg

The GripBoard Proudly Certifies:

Adam Glass

As having closed the Mash Monster Elite Gripper (Level 2) with one hand under strict and uniformly ethical and authenticated conditions.

The certification is granted by the GripBoard as an independent third party with no ethical or commercial conflict of interest. The Mash Monster Gripper was one of a limited number supplied by, rated and qualified by, and controlled by the Board. This momentous feat was demonstrated on video to assure it will be valid for historical posterity.

gallery_9552_1257_31093.png

Adam mashes the GripBoard Mash Monster Gripper - Level 2

Name: Adam Glass

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 235

Date of Feat: September 2, 2011

Witness: David Dellanave

VIDEO: Official Mash Monster Close

How Long Grip Training: Grippers - 2 years

Current Grip Training Program: Daily.

Other Training Info: Kettlebells and strongman.

Other Info: Trainer.

Acknowledgments: Thanks guys.

gallery_9552_18_6956.jpg

Adam Glass, the 38th Man in the World to close the Mash Monster Gripper - Level 2.

Back to the Mash Monsters Main

Could you tell us a little about your background in lifting?

I have been training since I was 15, played sports in school, then continued on in the Military, all the way up to now as a gym owner. I do a bit of everything, I think people would like training more if they would be willing to keep trying new challenges.

How did you get in to grip training?

Started with some grippers and a rolling thunder when I was in High School, since then it has been an ever increasing part of my training.

You are now a Gripboard mash monster, what would you recommend to those people aspiring to close this gripper?

Train smart, listen to your body. If your hands or arms are hurting, leave the grippers be for a day and get after it the next. Showing up is 90% of the game. You can't show up if you get hurt. Gripper strength takes time to develop, so be patient with yourself.

You are also a certified Captain of Crush. How did it take you from when you first started working with grippers to be closing the #3?

I have played with grippers since I was 16. I made my first serious run at Grippers in 2007, got to closing a BB SM. I took some time off, and in 2009 I started again. Within 6 months I was able to close my #3 with either hand from the MMS. I did my Credit card certification in Dec 2010 for the #3. I intend to try the 3.5 CCS at the end of 2011.

What does your current grip routine look like?

Lots of pinch lifting. As a competitive Grip Athlete I am focused on two hands pinch lift, grippers, and getting better at medleys. Most medley challenges are pinch centered. I don't think your thumb is ever too strong.

How has your grip routine changed since you first started grip training?

I train heavy volume, I never train to failure, and I use a high variety of lifts. My average grip day would be something this; Inch DB lifting, Two hand pinch on Euro, grippers from MMS or 20 mm block, TTK, Lever bar work, one hand pinch, and some kind of axle. I do this 3 days a week on average.

There seems to be a significant variation in the frequency of grip workouts among trainees even with the common goal of ultimate grip strength. Have you experimented with the workout frequency and its affect on your training?

Yes. I train very high frequency, up to 6 days a week. I am at an advantage because I own a gym and have a lower stress life these days. I am able to change up my training times, and duration more than the average man due to my time. I feel more frequency is extremely useful as long as a person works within their limits.

What are your favorite grip exercises?

Obviously I think grippers are cool. The two hand pinch is probably my favorite lift so far. My best lift in competition is 240 lbs and I very happy with that so far. I am obsessed with the Inch dumbbells, and challenge bells in general.

What kind of starting routine would you recommend for a trainee new to grip training?

You have to start with the one you like most. If you enjoy your training you will stick with it. If someone doesn't care about competition, when use whatever you have and have fun. If you want to compete, you must get comfortable setting your grippers, using a two hand pinch set up, and getting time in with block weights.

Who do you most admire in gripdom?

Jedd Johnson. Jedd is the one who got me started in grip training through his labor of effort on DieselCrew.com. Jedd has always been willing to answer a question or provide some words of encouragement to me. Over the last 5 years we have become good friends and I hope to continue to help him and the NAGSA spread in the USA.

If you were to start over again with your grip training, what you do differently?

I would make one single change- I would have spent more time in the beginning on my two hand pinch lift. Until last year it was very poor, and I have worked a lot to improve it. I feel it is a key movement for maximum hand strength.

What do you believe is the most difficult grip exercise?

I think it's lifting the Inch. Even with big hands it's very challenging. Most people will have to invest years of training to have the total hand strength to lift it, and I believe it's a worthy pursuit.

What are some of your personal bests in grip exercises?

Closing a 183 lbs gripper in competition, 240 lbs two hands pinch lift, 409 lbs DO axle, 336 lbs 2” Vertical bar (current world record), and lifting 41.25 lbs on the griptopz half penny (current world record).

What do you believe is the most common mistake made by new grip trainees?

Not taking time to build their setting strength, and over doing it. People see what others are doing and they simply try to copy them. You have to take in to account how long someone else has been at it. Every person needs to take time to find their own way.

What do you consider to be the greatest grip feat of all time?

Being that I love grippers, seeing Paul Knight's MM7 close is on my list. I was at Nationals when Jedd pinch lifted 264, and that was great to watch. For absolutes- clean and pressing the Inch. Only two people have done that so far, but that will change in the future.

Do you have any parting advice for readers?

Train smarter, not harder. Listen to your body. Believe in yourself.

Congratulations and thanks for the kind words, brother.

Nice interview - big congrats!

Job well done, Adam. Excellent interview as well. People should take note. You've gained a LOT of strength in the past year.