Chez

Chez's Quest To Cert On The #3.5

Hopefully
20 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I see it the same exact way. Only thing that will stop me is death.

This is interesting. I share the same view. People around me often tell me how impressed they are of my dedication and how surprised they are of my ability to take myself to the gym constantly year after year, week after week. They fail to realize that what they simply see as a means to an end to get more healthy, sexually appealing or whatever I view as a way of life and I laugh inside everytime it's time to hit the gym. Aside from family nothing else brings me the same joy. 

... On second thought maybe this wasn't your point, but whatever :D

• Like 3

Joseph Sullivan
37 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

This is interesting. I share the same view. People around me often tell me how impressed they are of my dedication and how surprised they are of my ability to take myself to the gym constantly year after year, week after week. They fail to realize that what they simply see as a means to an end to get more healthy, sexually appealing or whatever I view as a way of life and I laugh inside everytime it's time to hit the gym. Aside from family nothing else brings me the same joy. 

... On second thought maybe this wasn't your point, but whatever :D

100% my point. Strength is in my DNA. Just as blood flows through my veins. It’s not work to me. It’s pure pleasure .

• Like 4

IROC-Z
4 hours ago, Chez said:

Hey Royz. I hurt myself on the tips tester at a friends comp. it was the first time I touched the thing and I grabbed it incorrectly. So I have a new rule, I’m not competing and/or maxing out on something I don’t have experience with. I’m also not competing on events I’m not comfortable with. 

Did it slip out of your hand and injure a ligament in one of your fingers?  That's what happened to me a couple years ago.  I use extreme caution on the tips tester ever since.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

• Thanks 1

Chez
1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

100% my point. Strength is in my DNA. Just as blood flows through my veins. It’s not work to me. It’s pure pleasure .

Yep. I have a friend who calls it the “iron gene.” It’s who we are

• Like 1

Chez
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, IROC-Z said:

Did it slip out of your hand and injure a ligament in one of your fingers?  That's what happened to me a couple years ago.  I use extreme caution on the tips tester ever since.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Thanks! It didn’t slip. I grabbed it wrong. I should have did more research on proper technique. It was two weeks after King Kong and I didn’t prepare for it correctly which was a stupid mistake. 

Edited by Chez

Chez
Posted (edited)
On 1/7/2019 at 12:57 PM, Bornintothe said:

Sorry to hear you weren’t able to complete this cert in 2018 Chez! 2019 has got to be the year you nail this. All the best in your recovery. 

Somehow I missed this post. Thanks for the kind words buddy. I actually went to a doctor today for a second opinion and it was way more positive than the first so it was good news day and picked my spirits up.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Climber028
13 minutes ago, Chez said:

Somehow I missed this post. Thanks for the kind words buddy. I actually went to a doctor today for a second opinion and it was way more positive than the first so it was good news day and picked my spirits up.

Watch it with the spirits, you booze you lose

Chez
3 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Watch it with the spirits, you booze you lose

Drinking wine 🍷 right now because I’m classly like that 

• Like 1

KapMan
30 minutes ago, Chez said:

Drinking wine 🍷 right now because I’m classly like that 

C27347A3-6EBB-4900-80AF-4AB7ACEAEF99.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bornintothe
2 hours ago, Chez said:

That’s awesome! 

Chez

The new doctor called yesterday to discuss the scan results. It went extremely well. I have to see him again in two week but Idefinitely found my doctor and I’m more confident than ever I will be back pursing the MM8 in a few months time  

Edited by Chez
Typo
  • Like 5

Chez

Surgery is scheduled for 2/22. Looking forward to getting it over with so I can start the long road to recovery. 

Happy with my doctor selection and I know he will help me get back to full strength 

• Like 10

EricMilfeld

Very encouraging news!

Slaying the MM8 will be a victory all the sweeter now! Good luck for a fast recovery. 

• Thanks 1

NealB

I wish you the best of luck. Heal up fast so we can see that MM8 drop. 

• Thanks 1

Tommy J.

Just another bump in the road for you big guy. Glad to hear the great news with the optimistic Dr.

you’ll be back in no time stronger than ever!

• Thanks 1

Donc101
4 hours ago, Chez said:

Surgery is scheduled for 2/22. Looking forward to getting it over with so I can start the long road to recovery. 

Happy with my doctor selection and I know he will help me get back to full strength 

Good luck Chez, you will be crushing it again soon.

• Thanks 1

FrankD

Best of luck Chez. Hopefully your recovery goes well too. 

• Thanks 1

Jörg Keilbach

Good luck and stay positive!

• Thanks 1

slazbob

Good luck, Chez!

• Thanks 1

Chez

Thanks guys. Not training is already driving me crazy but I’ll focus on the long term goal to get me through the months ahead 

• Like 1

climber511

Are you still training the rest of your body?

Chez
30 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Are you still training the rest of your body?

Yep. Still training my body but I have to tweak certain things. The doctor doesn’t want me gripping barbells and dumbbells so I’m using machines for upping body and pressing with open hands on my palms. I also bought those wrist wraps with metal hooks so I can doing rowing exercises without the weight pulling on my hands.

once I have the surgery I still plan to go to the gym. I’ll do the same thing as when I tore my bicep, which is do upper body stuff with the one good hand and of course legs etc.

like I said before, im not quitting. Ill do whatever I can to keep moving forward.   

• Like 3

bdckr
3 hours ago, Chez said:

Yep. Still training my body but I have to tweak certain things. The doctor doesn’t want me gripping barbells and dumbbells so I’m using machines for upping body and pressing with open hands on my palms. I also bought those wrist wraps with metal hooks so I can doing rowing exercises without the weight pulling on my hands.

once I have the surgery I still plan to go to the gym. I’ll do the same thing as when I tore my bicep, which is do upper body stuff with the one good hand and of course legs etc.

like I said before, im not quitting. Ill do whatever I can to keep moving forward.   

Hope you get better soon.

Which hooks are you using, and are you happy with them?

I recently ruptured the extensor tendon on my right middle finger and need to have it in a splint to keep from bending most of the finger for the next 5 weeks.  Like you, no gripping with that hand, so I've been using these hooks for the last week  on chins and deads.  Anything more than bodyweight chins is no good, and anything more than 225 lbs on deadlift ends up slipping out of the hook.  I'm basically using my thumb to put as much pressure on the part of hook in my palm to keep the hook from angling out (which lets the barbell drop out of the hook).  And even then, my thumb can't hold it for more than 8 reps.  I'm looking for something that does a better job.

Edited by bdckr
  • Like 1

Chez
1 hour ago, bdckr said:

Hope you get better soon.

Which hooks are you using, and are you happy with them?

I recently ruptured the extensor tendon on my right middle finger and need to have it in a splint to keep from bending most of the finger for the next 5 weeks.  Like you, no gripping with that hand, so I've been using these hooks for the last week  on chins and deads.  Anything more than bodyweight chins is no good, and anything more than 225 lbs on deadlift ends up slipping out of the hook.  I'm basically using my thumb to put as much pressure on the part of hook in my palm to keep the hook from angling out (which lets the barbell drop out of the hook).  And even then, my thumb can't hold it for more than 8 reps.  I'm looking for something that does a better job.

Thanks. Sorry to hear about your injury and hope you recover soon as well. I bought these based on reviews

https://www.amazon.com/Weight-Lifting-Power-Training-Straps/dp/B07921M7YC

I’m still getting use to them. The most I’m used them for is 185 lb deadlifts. It’s kind of a weird feeling being pulled on from the wrist. I plan on experimenting with more weight soon. Nothing has slipped from them so far.

bdckr

Thanks.  Will be interested in knowing how it does with heavier weights..  Looking at the picture, I wonder if you'll run into the same problem that I'm having -- because of the splint, I can't do much (any) wrist flexion into the hook/bar.  Because the inside length of the hook (as opposed to the free end) is so short on my hook (like it is on the one you linked), the attached part pushes out my palm as the weight gets heavier, meaning the free end opens up.  Hope that description makes sense?

I'm considering buying a different style where the hook 's attached end is longer, so it will be more stable and note rotate open, but I hate the idea of spending more on something that (hopefully) is only necessary for a few weeks.