Chez

Chez's Quest To Cert On The #3.5

Chez

argh......been training but not logging. I will admit my training is a little out synch these last couple weeks. I'm getting sessions in but missing some here and there. The bad news is that the sessions I have been missing are grippers, squat and deadlift which are important to me. The problem is that I have been training these on the weekend and stuff has gotten in the way such as work, family and being sick. Oh well, I have to keep plugging away. Not going to bother logging last week. I'll just move on instead. Here is last night's training:

Bench Press

235 lbs - 6x

245 lbs - 5x

260 lbs - 4x

270 lbs - 3x

275 lbs - 2x

285 lbs - 2x. really happy with that. 

- unfortunately the guy I was training with tweaked his shoulder on his last set and had to stop the workout. bummer. I think its the same thing I did several months ago on the bench. Hopefully he recovers soon.

Close Grip Bench Press

235 lbs - 3x

245 lbs - 2 sets of 3x

Skull Crushers with Bench Press bar

95 lbs - 8x

105 lbs - 8x

115 lbs - 8x

Squats

285 lbs - 3 sets of 3x. I wanted to do 5 sets but I was running late. 

• Like 1

Chez

time to catch up on the log. 

Saturday 11/4/17

Met up with the NYC crew for a training session. 

Standing Overhead Barbell Press

Bar (45 lbs) - 20x

115 lbs - 5x

135 lbs - 4x

160 lbs - 3x

170 lbs - 2x

180 lbs - 1x

160 lbs - 3 sets of 5x

125 lbs - 2 sets of 8x

Flask 2 Hand Pinch

195 lbs - Not full lock out but maybe legal height. It was close. no way to know for certain without a crossbar set up. PR either way though. 

195 lbs - Not as good as the first attempt. only a couple inches off the ground. 

185 lbs - 2 lifts to full lockout with a hold at the top. 

165 lbs - 2 doubles

145 lbs - 2 triples

140 lbs - 3 lifts with 10 second holds at the top. 

- Didn't feel on today with 2 hp. I have been training it a lot lately. I'm going to skip it next week and come back for a more convincing lift at 195.

IM Hub

First time touching the hub in a really long time but Nate told me its going to be in his February comp so I have to put the time in. I worked up to a couples singles at 60 lbs each hand. Not too bad considering how long its been and after the flask work. Anton's hub also doesn't hold chalk well. The chalk comes off every time someone uses it. I backed off and then did triples with 55 and 50. I wasn't really keeping track of sets etc. Hopefully I can get back in the 70s by February.  

Luke Raymond's Inch Pinch

Just messed around with it in both a thin pinch and key pinch position. Wasn't keeping track. My thumb pads were hurting at this point. Cool piece of equipment.

Sunday 11/5/17

Decline Bench Press

245 lbs - 3 sets of 5x

Light Squats

135 lbs - 10x

185 lbs - 2 sets of 10x

Right Hand MMS Grippers

Gave my new 199 lb GHP 9 and 198 GE a try and missed both. Its been over a month since my last full right gripper workout but I wanted to try. My set is rusty. Need to back in the groove. 

194 lb SE - 4 singles

172 lb COC #3.5 - 3 doubles

165 lb BBE - 3 triples

158 lb COC #3 - 3 sets of 5x

Right Hand RBA Negatives

Hard Spring 6-6 - negative with 5 second hold

Hard Spring 6-7 - negative with 5 second hold

Hard Spring 7-7 - 3 negatives with 5 second holds

Single Arm Machine Curls

110 lbs - 10x each arm

125 lbs - 2 sets of 10x each arm

Sledge to Head Levers

6 lb - 10x each hand

10 lb - 5 sets of 8x each hand

Sledge Rear Levers

6 lb - 3 sets of 8x each hand

Extensors

IM Blue Band - 3 sets of 75 each hand

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Andrew Dube

Those are some beastly curls! 

Chez
27 minutes ago, Andrew Dube said:

Those are some beastly curls! 

haha, I just noticed I forgot "machine" in the title of the exercise. I just edited it. I wish I could curl that free weight :) This pulley is much easier. 

Edited by Chez

Andrew Dube
3 hours ago, Chez said:

haha, I just noticed I forgot "machine" in the title of the exercise. I just edited it. I wish I could curl that free weight :) This pulley is much easier. 

Ahhh that makes me feel better about my curls haha. I had no doubts though that you were free curling with one hand, what I do with two. Great work on everything Chez! That last session looked like a fun one!

• Like 1

Chez
On 11/6/2017 at 3:41 PM, Andrew Dube said:

Ahhh that makes me feel better about my curls haha. I had no doubts though that you were free curling with one hand, what I do with two. Great work on everything Chez! That last session looked like a fun one!

Thanks buddy!

Got to the gym late tonight. My girl stepped on a very small piece of broken glass so I brought her to a local urgent care to get it out. Only had time for chest. I'll have to hit squats tomorrow. I went into the session tired but it turned out to be a great one. Felt strong 💪 

Bench Press 

275 lbs - 6 sets of 3x. Really happy with that. I had to let out a war cry for the last rep so I decided to drop some weight next set since I knew I wouldn't get it.

255 lbs - 4 sets of 3x. Went pretty easy

Incline Hammer Strength Machine Press

3 45s each side - 3 sets of 5x

Quick session but a good one

Chez

Tonight's training:

Squats

295 lbs - 3 sets of 3x

Lat Pulldowns

150 lbs - 10x

160 lbs - 10x

170 lbs - 10x

Rear laterals

25 lb DBs - 3 x 10

Row Machine

187.5 lbs (whole stack) - 3 x 8

1 Arm Machine Preachers Curls

125 lbs - 3 x 8

• Like 1

Anemptybox

Man you're strong. Cool to see a <200 GHP9, good luck on that one and keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Chez
4 hours ago, Anemptybox said:

Man you're strong. Cool to see a <200 GHP9, good luck on that one and keep up the good work!

Thanks buddy. I follow your log. Good luck in reaching your goals and keep killing it. 

Chez

lots of good training this weekend. I'm nice and sore. Time to update the log. 

Saturday 11/11/17

Met with the NYC crew (Anthony, Anton, Jose and Ken) for a training session. We train outside and It was nice and cold but I still ended up sweating once I started to work hard. I sweat no matter what. Here is what I did:

Standing Overhead Barbell Shoulder Press

45 lb Bar - 20x

115 lbs - 5x

135 lbs - 4x

165 lbs - 3x

170 lbs - 2x

180 lbs - 1x

170 lbs - 3 sets of 3x

145 lbs - 2 sets of 5x

Ironmind Little Big Horn

- First time touching this in a long time (years). I pyramided up in warm ups to figure out my starting point. I have to admit I started to have a few flash backs from when I tore my bicep. The tear was on the V bar but this is also a vertical lift so I made to have my palm facing my body and arm straight to eliminate bicep engagement. Once I started to get to the heavier weight I did curls in between sets to get blood in the arm.

166 lbs - a couple singles each arm. better lifts with the left. Everyone says my horn is slick as soon as they touch it. It just never seasoned well. I decided to stop here since I'm just getting into the groove with this thing and its cold outside (dangerous for the bicep).  

146 lbs - 3 doubles each hand

126 lbs - 3 sets of 5x each hand

2.5" FBBC Crusher

127 lbs - 5x each hand

140 lbs - 2 sets of 2x each hand 

127 lbs - 5x each hand

Sunday 11/12/17

Single Arm Machine Tricep Extensions 

110 lbs - 10x each arm

125 lbs - 2 sets of 10x each arm

Leg Press Machine Calf Raises

340 lbs - 3 sets of 20x 

Ab Machine Crunches

110 lbs - 20x

125 lbs - 2 sets of 20x 

Deadlifts 

- Done DO no hook and no straps to work the grip

275 lbs - 10x

315 lbs - 10x

Stiff Leg Deadlifts

- Done DO no hook and no straps to work the grip

225 lbs - 2 sets of 8x

Double Hand Strict Plate Wrist Curls (Forearms on Bench)

35 lb Plate - 10x

45 lb Plate - 2 sets of 10x

Single Hand Strict Reverse Plate Wrist Curls (Forearm on thigh)

10 lb Plate - 3 sets of 10x each hand

Extensors 

IM Blue Band - 3 sets of 100x each hand    

Chez

Real Quick Sledge wrist work last night. My left felt much better than my right last night which is strange since my right usually is dominant on levering. It just felt uncomfortable in my right hand. Maybe my right is just beat up at the moment.  

Sledge to Forehead 

12 lb Sledge - 8x each hand

12 lb Sledge - 2 sets of 5x each hand

10 lb Sledge - 2 sets of 10x each hand

Supination/pronation 

6 lb Sledge choked up - 3 sets of 10x

Been neglecting wrist work ever since coming back from the bicep tear and started to late after hearing it will be at gripmas so I don't expect doing well at this event. Just trying to get as much work in as I can to maximize points. It is what it is. At least this motivated me to start the wrist work again and hopefully I can keep it up since I do believe its important. Its just hard to make time for everything.  

Edited by Chez

Chez

argh. Trained last night but I felt tired and weak. Some days you have it and some days you don't. I actually started to feel super tired on the drive to the gym. I pushed through the workout anyway and got some good volume in. It was chest day and here is what I did:

Bench Press

280 lbs - 3x. I hit the pins on the second rep and it totally threw me off. I had to rack the weight and reset and got the third. 

280 lbs - 3x

280 lbs - 3x. Spotter had to put his finger tips lightly on the bar right at lock out for the 3rd rep. Not happy about that. I can tell my strength is down. Decided to drop some weight

265 lbs - 3x. Got it but this shouldn't feel this heavy. Decided to drop the weight even further to get quality reps. 

245 lbs - 6 sets of triples. My buddy said my reps looked better as the sets went on. I felt tight and sore at the start. Maybe I just needed more time to warm up tonight. My right elbow has been a little sore from all the heavy pressing. 

Incline Smith Machine Bench Press

- we were moving faster with less rest on this exercise so my memory of the weights is a little fuzzy but this is what I remember:

185 lbs - 10x

210 lbs - 8x

235 lbs - 8x

255 lbs - 6x

285 lbs - 2x 

Dumbbell Floor Press

- First time trying floor presses and I really like them. I laid back with one dumbbell and he handed me the other. 

80 lb DBs - 5 paused reps

90 lb DBs - 5 paused reps

100 lb DBs - 5 paused reps

80 lb DBs - 8 paused reps

- Been failing lots of lifts right at lock out so I'm going to keep doing the floor pressing to try and blast through plateaus. 

• Like 1

Chez

Did a quick session tonight because my dishwasher was acting up and I had to run home to check it out:

Squats

305 lbs - 3 sets of triples. The weight wasn't an issue. I recently tweaked my left ankle trying to play basketball with my nephew at a family party. I think I was hesitate bending it so I was pitching forward a little on the squats. Not a big deal. 

230 lbs - 8x. Just a back off set for volume. I am going to keep doing this as a finisher. I had more in me but that is good enough

1 Arm Machine Preacher Curls

125 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Edited by Chez