Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

3 hours ago, Anthony C. said:

You know it. Make them throw my fat ass out. 

• Like 1

Think I forgot to put the video of my 194 super elite 30mm block close in the log:

I like to keep everything in the log to document the journey 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Tonight's training:

Bench Press

195 lbs - 10 sets of triples, 90 seconds rest between sets

- still easy. Think a few more weeks of increasing the weight before this becomes difficult.

Incline Smith Machine Bench Press

210 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Smith Machine Squats

270 lbs - 5x

310 lbs - 5x

345 lbs - 5x. Can't find my belt. If I had it I would have pushed for more reps. I think it's time to buy a new belt anyway. Mine was old and cheap. Now that I can actually squat and deadlift, I need to invest in a good belt.

Edited by Chez

Legs were still sore from squats but I pushed through deadlifts today:

Deadlifts

295 lbs - 5x

340 lbs - 5x

385 lbs - 5x

Barbell Rows

225 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Rear Laterals

25 lb DBs - 3 sets of 10x

1 Arm Preacher Machine Curls

95 lbs - 2 sets of 12x, 2 sets of 10x each arm

Edited by Chez

Behind in the log again so I'll do a quick update for the last 3 sessions:

6/25/17

Standing Overhead Press

145 lbs - 5x

165 lbs - 5x

185 lbs - 3x. Argh. Was suppose to get 5 but honestly I didn't have the energy to fight for the last two reps. Felt very tired 

Lying Hamstring Curls

125 lbs - 3 sets of 10x. I went light on these today because my legs were really sore from the last 2 workouts.

Right Hand Grippers

Started out with some 30mm block singles to practice the set for the comp and then dropped down for some MMS triples and 5x sets but I was off today. Very tired and my CNS felt shot. On top of that I opened up a cut on my pinky so I skipped the RBA negative I normally finish with.  

Left Hand 2.5" Crusher

Started out well with getting 152.5 lbs to what I believe would be comp height. But after that my CNS took a nose dive so I had to drop below my normal weights to finish off the singles, doubles, triples, 5x and holds. 

- Just not a great day. Strength was down across the board. oh well. It happens.I'll bounce back 

6/27/17

Bench Press

200 lbs - 10 sets of 3x with 90 second in between sets. 

225 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

Smith Machine Squats

290 lbs - 3x

330 lbs - 3x

385 lbs - 3x. Miscalculation. I was only suppose to use 365. Oh well. I thought that felt a little heavy. Makes me feel better about the set. 

6/29/17

Deadlifts

315 lbs - 3x

360 lbs - 3x

405 lbs - 4x. I was going to attempt the 5th but my hamstring felt tight so I decided to play is safe. I don't need an injury right before the comp. I think I could have gotten the 5th. Better than my last couple of deadlift sessions.

Machine Rows

Setting 13 - 10x

Setting 15 - 10x

Setting 17 - 10x

1 Arm Machine Preacher Curls

Setting 5 - 3 sets of 8x each arm. 

Note: This weekend will be my last 2 grip workouts before the comp. I want a full 2 weeks of rest for my hands. I'll do one more week of heavy lifting and then deload the lifting the week leading up to the comp. 

Argh. Behind in the log again by 3 workouts. Training has been going great though. Hitting PRs on grip and regular lifting. Squats tonight. I'll update tonight. 

Time to catch up in the log. Hitting grip highlights to save time:

7/1/17

Standing Overhead Barbell Press

155 lbs - 3x

175 lbs - 3x

200 lbs - 3x. Really happy with that. My press just felt strong today. Somehow I keep grinding out the reps. 

Lying Hamstring Curls

125 lbs - 10x

140 lbs - 10x

155 lbs - 8x. Been taking it easy on these and it shows. Need to ramp back up. 

Decline Bench Press

205 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

MMS Gripper Right Hand

194 Super Elite - 1 single

198 Grand Elite - 1 single. It wasn't a dominating close but I think I just got it. Def the best still I have ever gotten. I got a still on a previous attempt weeks back but my hand was turned. This one isn't perfect but much better. I def have more in me. Keeping my hand in frame when filming myself drains some power. On max closed I explode into the close and use my whole body to get a good set. Also should have tried this before that first SE close. Here is the video with a still at the end:

198 Grand Elite - 1 attempt but no clue if I closed it. I had a guy from the gym record but he was way too far away. He has never tried to video a gripper before. I actually got a real bad set so I thought there was no chance of getting it so I quit early but the still I got shows I couldn't have been far off even though its far away. I should have stuck with it. here is the still:

Snapshot 2 (7-1-2017 6-05 PM).png

198 Grand Elite - 1 Attempt but not close. Fatigue setting in.

194 Super Elite - 3 singles. I wanted to get more work in at the high end. 

- Dropped to a my 180 COC 3.5 for 3 sets of doubles, and my 172 COC #3.5 for 3 sets of triples. Finished with 5 negatives on Setting 7-7 with the RBA. Felt strong. Much better than my previous gripper workout and gave me confidence going into SJ4.

7/2/17

Woke up later than I wanted and had to rush at the gym since I had a family BBQ in the afternoon. Ran into a powerlifter I talk to at the gym. Hes 59 and trying to set a record for his age and weight in the bench press. Good guy and an attorney like me. We plan on getting together at his house after the comp so he can work with on my deadlift form. We talked longer than thought so now I had even less time so I only had time for the following:

Seated Calf Raises 

90 lbs + apparatus - 4 sets of 20 reps. 

Lying Leg Raises in static crunch

3 sets of 20 reps

Left Hand Pinch Flask

81 lbs - 1 single. I have good and bad days with the flask. Usually how I do with around 80 lbs lets me know if its a good day for heavy singles. This went up easy so I decided to attempt a PR

91 lbs - 1 single. Usually the lifts in my log are to full deadlift but this wasn't. I broke this weight off the ground with some guys at that training session weeks back but this was better and I think may have been competition legal height. If it wasn't it was real close. A PR either way so I'm happy. My flask isn't the most seasoned either and I recently washed in weeks back since oil got on it from me letting guys try it at the gym. 

86 lbs - 2 singles. Wanted a couple full lifts before dropping. 

-dropped weight for 3 sets of doubles, 3 sets of triples, 3 sets of 5x, and 3 singles with 10 second holds. 

- Last grip work before SJ4. Time to rest and have fresh hands. 

7/4/17

4th of July Workout

Bench Press

205 lbs - 10 sets of triples with 90 seconds rest in between. 

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

80 lb DBs - 3 sets of 10x. 

2.5" Crusher left Hand

Felt good during warm ups so I decided to go for a PR:

152.5 lbs - Good lift. I broke it off the ground last time but this time I'm confident that was competition height. PR. Not great since its my worst event but a PR is a PR. 

142.5 lbs - 2 singles. I attempted 152.5 again before but I couldn't get it again so I dropped for quality singles.

- Dropped weight for 3 sets of doubles, 3 sets of triples, 3 sets of 5x, and 3 singles with 10 second holds. 

7/5/17

Smith Machine Squats

310 lbs - 5x

345 lbs - 3x

385 lbs - 3x. Felt good tonight on the squats. My core was tight, foot placement was good and the reps were deep and clean. 

Rear Lateral Raises

30 lb DBs - 3 sets of 8x

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Great deadlift session today:

Deadlifts

340 lbs - 5x

385 lbs - 3x

430 lbs - 2x. Happy with that. Didn't want to push for the 3rd.

Bent over Barbell Rows

225 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

• Like 1

Looks like your peaking just in time. Your looking very strong all around. Good luck this coming weekend. 

• Like 1

Chez..I've watched your progress and great to hear!  Your progress and log is a great source of inspiration for others I bet and definitely for me.  I see your vids and the work your putting in and glad to see things working out.  Good luck at the Comp bro! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stephen Ruby said:

Looks like your peaking just in time. Your looking very strong all around. Good luck this coming weekend. 

7 hours ago, Forever said:

Chez..I've watched your progress and great to hear!  Your progress and log is a great source of inspiration for others I bet and definitely for me.  I see your vids and the work your putting in and glad to see things working out.  Good luck at the Comp bro! 

Thanks fellas. I really appreciate it. It's been a long road. I can't wait to compete again. I really miss competition and sharing the plateform with friends  

Quick workout of just accessory lifts:

1 arm machine preacher curls

setting 5 - 3 sets of 8x a huge arm

lying Hamstring Curls

setting 6 - 3 sets of 8x

Smith Machine Standing Calf Raises on step 

body weight + 205 lbs - 4 sets of 20x

lying leg raises

3 sets of 20x

Lat pulldowns

160 lbs - 10x, 10x, 8x

Another quick but good session tonight:

Standing Overhead Barbell Press

165 lbs - 5x

185 lbs - 3x

210 lbs - 1x. Most I have done so far since the surgery so I'm happy. Maybe a second rep was there if this was the weekend and I was well rested. Somehow I keep grinding the min reps. I want 225 this year. 

Decline Bench Press

205 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

• Like 3

Real nice on the 210lbs overhead press!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Real nice on the 210lbs overhead press!

Thanks buddy. Look forward to kicking ass with you this weekend 

Last workout before SJ4 Tonight:

Bench Press

210 lbs - 10 sets of 3x with 90 seconds rest in between

235 lbs - 2 sets of 8x

225 lbs - 8x

That is all she wrote. No matter what happens on Saturday, I'm proud of how hard I have worked to return to competition. I look back at my numbers when I first started training for this comp and its obvious I have made huge strides and I did it carefully and patiently. I'm just going to give it everything I have and enjoy the moment. Here are my goals for the Comp:

190+ lb Gripper

90+ lb One Hand Flask

150+ lbs Crusher. 

I debated whether typing those goals out was a good idea in the log but I decided to because I am a big fan of visualization. I love setting goals and going after them. My next post will be post comp. If you are going to the comp, I look forward to competing with you. 

• Like 6

Time to update the log before I fall massively behind again. Lets start with my performance and experience at SJ4 this past Saturday:

I got to the hotel around 11:30 Pm Friday Night which is much later than I thought I would but I had to stop by my parent's house to pick up Nat's Inch DB for the Medley. I left straight from work but my parents are about 25 mins north of my job while the comp is south so this already tacked on time to the trip. My sister and her family were eating dinner with my parents so I stayed for dinner and spent time with everyone so this made me even later. Once I got settled at the hotel, I asked the guy at the front desk to let me into the comp room to see the setup and it looked pretty cool.

The next morning I ran to my car first to load with the stuff I didn't need in the comp room. I ran into Jedd, Amber, Chris Andrade and their crew first. Once I got into the breakfast room I ran into other gripsters like James Retarides and his crew. I already noticed an issue when I started to sweat a lot sitting at breakfast. For those that don't know I don't handle heat well at all. I overheat very easily and sweat more than anyone I have ever met. This would be an issue throughout the comp...............

Once in the comp room, I started greeting everyone and walked up to Nate to get weighed in. I have been purposely putting on weight lately for two reasons: 1) I want to make a run at the MM grippers again and the COC #3.5 certification and I am always at my strongest crush strength when I'm at my biggest and strongest in the power lifts and 2) I wanted to qualify for next years nationals and when I looked at the field signing up I thought my chances were better in the 120+ class (no offense to the 120+ class but Jedd is in the 120 class as well as Tim butler and Rob M and I know those guys are crazy strong). I weighed in at 277 with shoes on and after eating breakfast which shocked me since this is the heaviest I have weighed in for a comp. Mission accomplished I guess.

After watching the certs and other pre contest activities I decided to warm up and this was an issue for me. The comp room was pretty cramped with competitors, spectators and warm up stations so it was hard to move around freely. I kept bumping into people just trying to get around. Also, since the event was in a hotel there was no weight lifting equipment to warm up with. This is especially important for grippers which I believe is the most CNS dependent grip event especially for me. I usually do squats and an overhead press but I didn't have that option.  I did my best with push ups and goblet squats holding weight plates in my hand while pyramiding through my warm up grippers but I knew my CNS was not primed correctly. I have gotten so use to getting into that perfect state that I could tell I wasn't there. On top of that the room was insanely hot and humid. The AC was running but it couldn't compensate for the heat coming off of that many men warming up in the small space. It felt like no AC was on even though it was. As I mentioned, I don't handle the heat well at all. The other competitors noticed my ridiculous perspiration right away as my clothes were soaked rather quickly. People even posted memes about it after :).  I did my best to block it out and be as social as possible even though I felt very uncomfortable.

Hes is how I did on the events:

1) 30mm Block Grippers

As soon as I walked in I noticed a gap in the gripper line up. The grippers jumped from 180 to 190. There were spots for 183 and 185 but the grippers were missing. Nate called over the guys he thought would be in that range and explained that John McCarter was suppose to bring them but he was running very late due to traffic. The other guys said it wasn't a problem for them and I said I can start at 180 and make the jump to 190.

Attempt 1 (180) - GOOD - I got the close but it wasn't as strong of a close as it should have been for me. I knew the poor warm up and heat were affecting me. 

Attempt 2 (190) - FAIL - I had to make the jump because nothing else was available. I was sweating so much that the back handle slipped far back in my hand during the set and I knew it was over at that point. I made the attempt but I wasn't close. 

Attempt 3 (190) - FAIL - Better set and attempt but no good. 

Attempt 4 (190) - FAIL - my best attempt and I even got dizzy and light headed from the effort but I still missed.

- Kind of bummed since I obviously love grippers and its my specialty but I won the event anyway. My goal was 190+ though but it just wasn't happening today. I was the only person to attempt over 180 so the gripper gap only effected me. oh well  

2) Flask One Hand Pinch

The flask is raising bar unlike grippers so I knew I wanted to get a very easy safe lift on the board to make sure I didn't bomb out. I also had no idea how the texture on this flask would be and hot the heat and humidity would effect it. 

Attempt 1 (74.9572 lbs) - GOOD - Got it with complete ease. 

Attempt 2 (83.7757 lbs) - GOOD - Got it and again very easy.

- at this point one competitor at my platform cleaned all the chalk off the flask. Luke Raymond purposely applied a good layer before we got started and rubbed it in but now it was cleaned off. The competitor then threw on a lot of chalk all over the flask without rubbing it in. This was right before my third attempt.  

Attempt 3 (88.1849 lbs) - GOOD - Got it but this felt heavy. The texture definitely felt different. 

Attempt 4 (90.3895 lbs) - FAIL - I took the next possible jump and missed the cross bar but what I remember to be less than an inch. That stung since my goal for the comp was 90+ it was it was so close but oh well. 

- It actually turned out to be a bad day for many at my platform (the heaviest platform) on the flask. I expected some of the guys to clear 100 lbs easy but the best pull was 99.208 lbs by 3 guys. I think the chalking issued I mentioned above really effected everyone. So my lift tied for 8th on the event which shocked me considering the pinch monsters in the room.

3) 2.5" Crusher    

- I knew this was going to be my worst event since I had the least time to train it. While recovering from bicep surgery I didn't start thick bar training until much later since it involves the most weight load on the arm. This is also a raising bar event so I wanted to take a real easy opener to get on the board. 

Attempt 1 (141.096 lbs) - Good - no problem

Attempt 2 (149.914 lbs) - Good - This wasn't easy and that makes sense since my training PR was 152.5 lbs just last session. I was actually going to attempt the weight right below this but I remember I only have a couple good pulls in me with the crusher before I hit a wall so I told the score keeper to raise it one notch right before my attempt. It was a good call

Attempt 3 (154.324 lbs) - FAIL - I think I missed by less than an inch. This would have been a PR. I hadn't reach my goal in the other two events so I decided to go for a PR. That stung. 

Attempt 4 (154.324 lbs) - FAIL - only a little off the ground. I hit the wall. I should have tried the next notch down (152.119 lbs) since I think I would have gotten it based on the last attempt. Sometimes you just have to go for it. 

- As expected I lost the most points here as my lift tied for 21st. I did best I could to raise this the last couple months. 

Overall Thoughts

Even though I missed my goals I was happy that I finished 2nd in the 120+ KG class which I think qualifies me for nationals next year. I also won the gripper event on an off day and came in 5th overall with absolute scoring out of 45 men. The 4 guys ahead of me were pretty dam strong also. Not bad for my first comp since making the comeback. The Comp made me work hard to get back in shape fast since it gave me a goal.

I also really enjoyed meeting and hanging out with everyone.

The clock starts all over again now. I want to keep the momentum and train my butt off for next years nationals. Roughly 10.5 months away. I can do a lot in 10.5 months. Time to put the work in. I know what I need to work on. This should be fun!  

Edited by Chez
  • Like 5

Tonight's training:

Bench Press

215 lbs - 10 sets of triples with 90 seconds rest in between each set. 

235 lbs - 8x

225 lbs - 8x

225 lbs - 6x. Triceps are just tired at this point. 

Smith Machine Squats

275 lbs - 5x

315 lbs - 5x

355 lbs - 5x

I'll get there one workout at a time. Persistence is the key................................

16 hours ago, Chez said:

Overall Thoughts

Even though I missed my goals I was happy that I finished 2nd in the 120+ KG class which I think qualifies me for nationals next year. I also won the gripper event on an off day and came in 5th overall with absolute scoring out of 45 men. The 4 guys ahead of me were pretty dam strong also. Not bad for my first comp since making the comeback. The Comp made me work hard to get back in shape fast since it gave me a goal.

I also really enjoyed meeting and hanging out with everyone.

The clock starts all over again now. I want to keep the momentum and train my butt off for next years nationals. Roughly 10.5 months away. I can do a lot in 10.5 months. Time to put the work in. I know what I need to work on. This should be fun!  

Congratulations on the strong performance! Getting 2nd in your class and 5th overall along with wining an event is very impressive for your first contest back. I hope to compete at nationals also next year so it will be a pleasure to compete with you. I look forward to seeing you climb the mm ladder next! 

• Like 1

Just now, Stephen Ruby said:

Congratulations on the strong performance! Getting 2nd in your class and 5th overall along with wining an event is very impressive for your first contest back. I hope to compete at nationals also next year so it will be a pleasure to compete with you. I look forward to seeing you climb the mm ladder next! 

Thanks buddy. It would be awesome to meet you.

Hey Chez, great job at the comp! Wish I could've seen you smash the 30mm grippers. Keep hitting it hard!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CFlaherty said:

Hey Chez, great job at the comp! Wish I could've seen you smash the 30mm grippers. Keep hitting it hard!

Thanks buddy. One day we will meet and train grippers together. Sparks will fly 

My legs were super sore during the day and I didn't get to the gym until after 8:30 but I pushed through this workout:

Deadlifts

300 lbs - 5x

345 lbs - 5x

390 lbs - 5x with a belly whole of Tex mex.    I grinded through this set. Very tired tonight.

Machine Rows

187.5 lbs (Whole Stack) - 3 sets of 8x

One Arm Machine Curls

110 lbs - 3 sets of 10x each arm

I pushed through this workout instead of moving it to tomorrow so I can rest tomorrow and hit right hand grippers Saturday. Now that the comp is over the MM7 is constantly on my mind. I have become obsessed with this cert. I will do whatever it takes..... 

• Like 1

First Right hand gripper workout since SJ4. Here is what I did:

Standing Over Head Barbell Press

145 lbs - 5x

170 lbs - 5x

190 lbs - 5x. Some how I keep getting the reps. This was a grinder but I got it. 

Light Squats to Wake up for grippers

135 lbs - 8x

225 lbs - 2 sets of 8x

Lying Hamstring Curls

125 lbs - 3 sets of 10

Decline Bench Press

205 lbs - 8x

210 lbs - 2 sets of 8x

Right Hand MMS Grippers

194 Super Elite - 4 singles

180 COC #3.5 - 3 doubles

172 COC #3.5 - 3 triples

153 COC #3 - 3 sets of 5 reps

Right Hand RBA Negatives

Setting 7-7 - 3 negatives with 5 second holds

Setting 7-6 - 2 negatives with 5 second holds

Extensors

Red + Blue Band - 5 sets of 30 reps

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great."

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

First Right hand gripper workout since SJ4. Here is what I did

Right Hand MMS Grippers

194 Super Elite - 4 singles

180 COC #3.5 - 3 doubles

172 COC #3.5 - 3 triples

153 COC #3 - 3 sets of 5 reps

Right Hand RBA Negatives

Setting 7-7 - 3 negatives with 5 second holds

Setting 7-6 - 2 negatives with 5 second holds

Extensors

Red + Blue Band - 5 sets of 30 reps

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great."

Wow impressive gripper workout you must be close to a 200+ gripper close.

7 minutes ago, Stephen Ruby said:

Wow impressive gripper workout you must be close to a 200+ gripper close.

Thanks man. I think it will happen in the next couple months. From my 198 GE I have a jump to my 203 COC 4. 

Edited by Chez