Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

18 hours ago, Geralt said:

It's good to train what feels better and not what you are 'supposed' to do. I have squatted many cycles for long (still hate them) but my legs weren't getting much stronger. Now I have incorporated one legged split squats. And pistols.

The burn is sensational and makes my quads after training very sore. Never experienced that with regular back squats. When I test my legs with the backsquats, I am stronger now. 

I agree Geralt. We all have different genes and anatomical make ups so we have to find what works best for us. 

Yesterday's workout:

Deadlifts

260 lbs - 3x

295 lbs - 3x

335 lbs - 8x. Really happy with this. I had 2 more in me. this is best deadlifts have felt in a long time. Bar speed was great and everything felt much lighter than usual.

Standing Overhead Barbell Press

125 lbs - 3x

145 lbs - 3x

160 lbs - 5x

Barbell Rows

155 lbs - 3 sets of 10x. Felt easy. More weight time.

Skull Crushers/Smith Machine Close Grip Bench Press

75 lbs/185 lbs - 10/10

85 lbs/185 lbs - 10/10

95 lbs/185 and 135 - 10/5x at 185 and 3 at 135 lbs

Barbell Curls

95 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Hamstring Curls

3 sets of 10x

Edited by Chez

Tonight's training:

Smith Machine Squats

255 lbs - 5x

290 lbs - 3x

320 lbs - 7x. Happy with that. Light weight  for someone my size but I keep moving in the right direction and it will add up.

Bench Press

200 lbs - 5x

225 lbs - 3x

250 lbs - 4x

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

75 lb DBs - 10x, 10x, 15x. Too easy. Biggest DBs at the work gym. Time to bring my loadable Oly handles for these.

Lat Pulldowns 

160 lbs - 10x, 8x, 8x

Rear Laterals

25 lb DBs - 10x, 10x, 10x

took a new guy to the gym with us tonight and took him through the exercises. He's very raw with barely any lifting experience and the lifting he has done has been with terrible form. He's a young guy and I like him a lot. I have to lift tomorrow even though I usually like at least a day off in between because my girls actual B Day is Thursday so I'm taking her out to dinner. We are also going out with her parents Friday night. I invited the new guy to the gym tomorrow night also. It's like watching a baby take his first steps.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Chez, I saw in an earlier page someone talking about a video you posted a while back about how you train grippers. Could you link me to that video if it's still available? Would love to check it out!

1 hour ago, pburke23 said:

Chez, I saw in an earlier page someone talking about a video you posted a while back about how you train grippers. Could you link me to that video if it's still available? Would love to check it out!

Hey buddy. Unfortunately, someone hacked my youtube account just recently and deleted all my videos including that one. I had to start a new youtube page. I was pretty pissed since the old one had all the videos of my progress since I started. I actually plan on remaking that video anyway since I got good feedback that it helped some people. I'll do it within the next couple weeks and post it in this log. I actually really enjoy helping people with their training in anyway I can.  

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Chez said:

Hey buddy. Unfortunately, someone hacked my youtube account just recently and deleted all my videos including that one. I had to start a new youtube page. I was pretty pissed since the old one had all the videos of my progress since I started. I actually plan on remaking that video anyway since I got good feedback that it helped some people. I'll do it within the next couple weeks and post it in this log. I actually really enjoy helping people with their training in anyway I can.  

Sounds good Chez! Looking forward to checking it out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WestSlope said:

I watched both of your "how I train grippers" videos. The one in your garage and the one at your table. I use what I learned from you for a good part of my gripper training. It's great you are going to create another. You also had one on how to video the close. I should have paid better attention!

Thanks dude. Means a lot to me. Even if it only helped one person in some way, it brings a smile to my face

Edited by Chez

Went into tonight's workout not expecting much since I just lifted yesterday and I was tired but I was able to psych myself up and have a great workout:

Deadlifts

280 lbs - 5x

315 lbs - 3x

350 lbs - 6x. Keep moving forward...

135 lbs - 5x

155 lbs - 3x

170 lbs - 4x. Shoulder felt great. Made sure to keep it warmed up during the sets

Tricep press down/close grip smith Machine bench 

5 plates/185 lbs - 10x/10x

6 plates/185 lbs - 10x/10x

6 plates/185 lbs - 10x/10x

Barbell Curls

100 lbs - 10x, 10x, 8x

Barbell Rows

165 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Hamstring Curls

5 plates - 10x

6 plates - 2 sets of 10x

I was able to hit new high on several exercises since surgery despite being tired by grunting and snarling the whole time. Reverted back to the old chez and lifted angry. Makes a huge difference for me when I get in the right mind set. A coworker was in the gym. Hopefully she couldn't hear me over her head phones. But I don't care that much if she did. I have goals to achieve.....

• Like 1

On Friday, December 23, 2016 at 7:57 PM, Geralt said:

It's good to train what feels better and not what you are 'supposed' to do. I have squatted many cycles for long (still hate them) but my legs weren't getting much stronger. Now I have incorporated one legged split squats. And pistols.

The burn is sensational and makes my quads after training very sore. Never experienced that with regular back squats. When I test my legs with the backsquats, I am stronger now. 

Not everyone is, from his proportions, build to back squat.

In some cases it can do more harm then good. The ideal back squat posture is a short torso and short legs.

Especially people with a long torso and long legs should seeking alternatives to the back squat because your back ist not straight any more and the compressive forces getting to high and thats calls for trouble in the long run.

You just have to watch videos from different body types.

In my experiences its the much greater compression forces at non ideal back squatting postures that lets you get stall on this exercise. Switch to a squat type that lets you have a much straighter back and you have much greater succes and no back related troubles in the long run.

You are definatley on the right track, your success has proven it. 

I  personally do zercher style squats from a dead start position in my special build harness and have great sucess with it. Its at least as hard as back squats  and i have done back squats many years.

There are no must do exercises you have to find what works best for your body type.

All the best.

Little behind in the log. Saturday's workout:

Calf Raises

4 sets of 15-20

Flask 1 hand pinch

Left

76 lbs - 4 singles 

71 lbs - 3 doubles

66 lbs - 3 triples

Right

76 lbs - 3 singles

71 lbs - 1 single

66 lbs - 3 doubles

56 lbs - 3 triples

- right felt very weak on pinch today

1 hand cables Rows with 2 inch pinch block

30 lbs - 3 sets of 10x. This was hard especially after the flask.

1 hand lat Pulldowns with 2 inch pinch Block

20 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

thumbscrews dynamic pinch

3 sets of 20 reps each hand 

I was wondering if attaching the Flask to a cable pulley or rowing device would help in explosive pinching, thus aiding more off the ground strength, specially single handed. I just borrowed my Flask to Royz for a while, but it also doesn't fit in my training right now. Maybe a nice variation idea? No no, no money, please. It's free. :cool

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Geralt said:

I was wondering if attaching the Flask to a cable pulley or rowing device would help in explosive pinching, thus aiding more off the ground strength, specially single handed. I just borrowed my Flask to Royz for a while, but it also doesn't fit in my training right now. Maybe a nice variation idea? No no, no money, please. It's free. :cool

Hey Geralt. I thought about the same thing but I use for my sorinex 2 inch pinch block for the cable rows and lat pulls downs though because its smaller. The flask is 2.25 inches so the width isn't a huge difference. In fact, I'm hoping that pinching on something just a little narrowing may be more beneficial since my hand is going just a little beyond the range kind of like filing a gripper for beyond the range crush training.   

Hope your training is going well dude. I miss reading your log. 

Tonight's training:

Smith Machine Squat

230 lbs - 5x

265 lbs - 5x

295 lbs - 10x. Felt good. Had at least another 2-3 in me but that is good enough. I got setup better and tighter. Working on my technique. I bet I'm loosing weight on the deadlift from technique also. May post my top deadlift set this month in the log and ask for advice.

Bench Press

175 lbs - 5x

205 lbs - 5x

230 lbs - 7x. I figured out why my shoulder is acting up on these. My form is breaking down and my elbows are flaring. I caught myself doing it on this set. Now I need to fix it. It's making my bench stagnant because it feels so tight on my top set. I was getting way more reps with this weight before this issue. All my other lifts are improving.

Decline Dumbbell Bench Press

91.5 lb DBs - 8x, 8x, 11x. All my other presses are improving except the Bench. I need to fix this issue. 

Lat Pulldowns

160 lbs - 10x, 10x

170 lbs - 8x. Felt good to move up and test the bicep more. I need to strengthen my back. 

Rear Laterals 

25 lb DBs - 10x, 10x, 10x. Starting to feel easy. My move up next time.

One of my staff is getting married Friday. After the gym, I drove out of my way to pick up the cake I know she loves (did the same thing for her birthday). Also took a collection at work to get her a gift and picked up a gift card to a home store. One the guys on the team is picking up decorations and a card. I'm a dam good boss 😎. I want to make sure my team knows they are appreciated. Trying to be the boss I never had. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Slept in nice and late today and it felt amazing. Here is yesterday's training:

Deadlifts

250 lbs - 5x

285 lbs - 5x

325 lbs - 9x. Not bad. I wanted at least this number of reps but I really wanted 10. I just didn't have any energy left. It was a long week. Think is a PR rep wise with this weight.

120 lbs - 5x

140 lbs - 5x

155 lbs - 7x. Last one was tough.

Tricep Press Down/Close Grip Smith Machine Bench Press

80 lbs/205 lbs - 10x/10x

90 lbs/205 lbs - 8x/8x

90 lbs/205 lbs - 8x/8x. That last bench rep took everything I had. Tris are burned out.

Barbell Curls 

100 lbs - 8x, 8x, 8x

Row Machine 

12 setting - 3 sets of 10. At this point I was super exhausted and running late so I decided on the row machine instead of Barbell Rows. I needed something quick.

• Like 1

Time to up the log with this weekends training:

Saturday

Calf Raises

3 sets of 15-20 reps

Hamstring curls

3 sets of 10 reps

Lying Leg Raises

3 sets of 10-12 reps

Right Hand MMS Grippers

180 lb COC #3.5 - 3 singles

172 lbs COC #3.5 - 3 doubles

165 lbs Elite - 2 triples. Tore skin off my pinky on the second triple. wrapped it will tape. 

165 lbs Elite - 1 double. The tape made it hard to close my pinky and stopped me from getting the 3rd close. I decided to man up and rip it off. 

165 lbs Elite - 1 triple. So much better without the tape. 

- Freaking hands were freezing and so were the grippers. So much harder to do grippers when hands and grippers are cold. Everything hurts more. Going back to my old routine of single, doubles and triples to get more volume in. Didn't Feel it this weekend with grippers (even with the left the next day). This happens sometimes. Maybe it was the deadlifts just yesterday as well. I'm overdue for a good session.   

Right Hand RBA Adjustable Negatives. 

5 negatives with 10 second holds

Sunday

Left Hand MMS Grippers

172 lb COC #3.5 - 2 singles

165 lb Elite - 1 single

149 lb COC #3 - 3 doubles

144 lb COC #3 - 1 triple

141 lb COC #3 - 3 triples

Left Hand RBA Negatives with hold

2.5 Inch Crusher 1 Hand Lifts

130 lbs - 4 singles each hand

120 lbs - 3 doubles each hand

110 lbs - 3 triples each hand

- These felt great. More weight next time. Struggled more with the left due to gripper fatigue but that is expected. 

2.5 Inch Crusher 1 Arm Cable Rows

80 lbs - 3 sets of 8 reps

2.5 inch Crusher 1 Arm Lat Pulldowns

70 lbs - 3 sets of 8 reps

Definitely getting stronger on the crusher so that kind of makes up for the sub par gripper work. 

Here is last night's workout:

Bench Press

190 lbs - 3x

215 lbs - 3x

245 lbs - 8x. Shoulder felt pretty good. I probably had 2 more in me but I just decided not push my luck. I was keeping it warmed up in between sets and stretching like a mad man. 

Smith Machine Squat

250 lbs - 5x. I was only suppose to do 3 but I forgot and did more by accident. 

280 lbs - 3x. 

315 lbs - 6x. Good enough. I had more in me but I was at the gym around the corner from me and I really hate their smith machine. I was so uncomfortable. The pins for the bar are really far apart. I'm about 6'2" and the pins I had to use are ideal for someone probably about 5'8" or maybe even shorter so I had to squat down real low to get under the bar which made it tough for me to get in ideal position. the next pins up are probably ideal for someone 6'4" or a little taller since I had to go on my tip toes to reach the bar there. At one point I thought about just doing regular free weight squats but then a guy took over the only free weight squat rack in the gym and of course he was taking his time, singing along with his music etc. in between sets so I just did the best I could with the crappy set up.

Dumbbell Incline Bench Press

80 lb DBs - 10x, 8x, 8x,

Lat Pull downs

150 lbs - 10x

160 lbs - 10x

170 lbs - 8x

Rear Lateral Machine

120 lbs - 8x

110 lbs - 8x, 8x

It was so warm for the middle of January that I was able to go to the gym with shorts on and a T-shirt. Warm again today. Crazy since we just had bitter cold and snow. Now all the snow is melted. Hope it last longer. 

Yesterday's workout:

Deadlift

265 lbs - 3x

305 lbs - 3x

340 lbs - 9x. Really happy with this. This is a new PR. I felt rock solid on these. My bar speed was great with all the warm up sets and lower working sets. Felt explosive. I think I can hit 500 for a single by year end.

130 lbs - 3x

150 lbs - 3x

165 lbs - 5x

Tricep press down/close grip smith Machine bench press

90 lbs/210 lbs - 8x, 8x, 8x

Standing alternating dumbbell curls

45 lb DBs - 8x

50 lb DBs - 8x

55 lb DBs - 8x. My arm feels rock solid and strong. All the curls felt easy.

Row Machine

Setting 12 - 10x

Setting 13 - 10x

Setting 14 - 10x

• Like 1

Arg, late updating the log. Here is Saturday's workout:

calf raises 

4 sets of 20-30 reps

hamstring curls

110 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Flask 1 hand pinch

Left Hand

78.5 lbs - 2 singles

76lbs - 2 singles

71 lbs - 4 doubles

66 lbs - 4 triples

Right Hand

71 lbs - 4 singles

66 lbs - 4 doubles

61 lbs - 4 triples

right hand still off but better than last time

1 arm pulldown with 2 inch pinch block

20 lbs - 3 sets of 10x each hand

1 Arm Cable row with 2 inch pinch block

20 lbs - 3 sets of 8x each hand

Thumbscrew dynamic pinch

3 sets of 15x each hand

• Like 1

Went to the gym last night with my girl. It was a quick session (gym is within walking distance of us) but I was able to do the wrist work I didn't have time for over the weekend:

Front Levering

9 lb bar - 3 sets of 10 reps each hand

Rear Levering 

9 lb bar - 3 sets of 10 reps each hand

Pron/sup 

Light bar - 3 sets of 10 reps each hand

Plate Wrist Curls

Two 10 lb Plates - 3 sets of 10 reps each hand

Rear Plate Wrist Curls

10 lb Plate - 3 sets of 10 reps each hand

Happy to get the wrist work in since I have been in such a rush the last couple weeks that I have had to exclude it to get the other training in but its super important. My grip strength was at its peek when my wrist were their strongest and unfortunately I wasn't bless with naturally strong wrist like my crush. My wrist are my weakest point. I need to be more efficient on the weekends to get all the training in.  

Some good, some alright, some bad from last night's workout:

Bench Press (the bad)

205 lbs - 5x

230 lbs - 3x

255 lbs - 3x. I am just pissed with this. I was out of rhythm from the start and didn't feel comfortable. I had such a good bench session last time and then this garbage :angry:. I think it also has to do with the bench at the work gym since its really cruddy and shaky. The bench at the gym by me is solid so I feel more stable and secure. oh well............

Smith Machine Squats (alright)

265 lbs - 5x

295 lbs - 3x

330 lbs - 6x - not bad. My legs were pretty stiff and sore during warm ups so I had to work hard to loosen them up. 

Decline Dumbbell Bench Press (good)

96.5 lb DBs - 8x, 8x, 10x - moved up from last week and I felt strong on these. 

Lat Pull Downs (good)

170 lbs - 8x, 8x, 8x - moved up on these as well since my arm feels strong and I feel more confident pushing it. 

Today's workout:

Deadlifts 

285 lbs - 5x

325 lbs - 3x

360 lbs - 7x. Happy with that especially being tired after a long week. Moving in the right direction.

140 lbs - 5x

155 lbs - 3x

175 lbs - 4x. Not bad. Most the energy I had left after the long week was spent on the deadlifts.

Dumbbell Curls

50 lb DBs - 8x, 8x, 8x - these were super easy but I didn't feel like hitting the biceps super hard today. 

Barbell Rows

175 lbs - 8x, 8x, 8x 

I was in a rush so I didn't get to some exercises this session and last session. Work has been busy. I plan on making up the exercises missed tomorrow with grippers. Keep grinding......

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Today's training:

One arm machine triceps extensions 

95 lbs - 8x each arm

100 lbs - 8x, 8x each arm

Lying Hamstring Curls

125 lbs - 10x, 10x, 10x

Smith Machine Close Grip Bench Press

215 lbs - 8x, 8x, 8x

Right Hand MMS Grippers

180 lb COC #3.5 - 4 singles

174 lb RB 280 - 4 doubles

165 lb Elite - 2 triples

165 lb Elite - 2 doubles. Fatigued now. Wanted triples but my hand was fried.

Increasing the volume and going back to my old singles doubles and triples routine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

RBA Right Hand Negatives 

Hard work, dedication.......

• Like 2

I was exhausted today, but I took a nap and dragged my ass to the gym. I don't have time to be tired. Here is today's training:

Calf Raises 

4 sets of 15-20x

Rear Lateral Machine

100 lbs - 10x, 10x, 10x

Ab Machine

3 sets of 20x

2.5 inch Crusher 1 Arm Deadlifts 

132.5 lbs - 4 singles each arm

122.5 lbs - 3 doubles each arm

112.5 lbs - 3 triples each arm

2.5 inch Crusher 1 Arm Cable Rows

70 lbs - 8x, 8x, 8x each arm

2.5 inch Crusher 1 Arm Lat Pulldowns

70 lbs - 8x, 8x, 8x each arm

I was in a super rush tonight at the gym tonight and was only able to get some of my workout done. So much going on at work. Here is what I did today:

Bench Press

175 lbs - 5x

205 lbs - 5x

230 lbs - 8x

Incline Smith Machine Bench Press

225 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

Smith Machine Squats

240 lbs - 5x

270 lbs - 5x

305 lbs - 8x

That is all I had time for tonight. I'll make up the missed exercises sometime during the week. 

Great workout today! Hit a new rep PR on deadlifts! Here is what I did:

Deadlifts

255 lbs - 5x

295 lbs - 5x

330 lbs - 10x Boom! That is the number I wanted going into the workout. Last month I did 325 for 9x and I beat that tonight. The deadlift PRs keep coming now that I have healthy legs. These have actually gone from my least favorite exercise to my favorite exercise. 

125 lbs - 5x

145 lbs - 5x 

160 lbs - 6x

7's Barbell Curls 

65 lbs - easy

70 lbs - easy

75 lbs - easy

Bent Over Barbell Rows

185 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

Got to the gym late and the deadlifts zapped a lot of energy so I left some exercises out. I'll do them this weekend with grip. 

• Like 3