Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

Great workouts!

I like the axle but have been neglecting it lately. I used a 2" solid HRS rod for mine but wished I just used that 1.9" OD piping. Would have been cheaper and easier to move around.

Is the PVC a bit slick to hold on to? I guess that would be good since the contest ones will feel easy in comparison.

Thanks Rich. I have to get creative because the real equipment is so expensive. I'm just a poor student. The PVC pipe is very slick and so are the plates I used to make a euro type device. I actually stuffed the PVC with newspaper real tight so it doesn't move at all on top of my 1 inch bar. I went to a fencing company close to my house and had them cut a 5 inch long 2.5 inch diameter pipe to slide over my 1 inch DB handle. I'm thinking of going back there this weekend and see if they can make me a 2 inch V bar.

• Like 1

Are your plates for the 2HP steel? If so try some pool acid on the surface. It etches the grains of the steel crystals very slow. You have to be patient; it was way slower than I thought. Then add some bleach after the acid is off! It will oxidize the plates quick. Finish with some gym chalk and kind of work it in with your hands.

The newspaper idea for the axle was a good one. :)

I think anyone with a welder can make you a vbar on the cheap. Nothing to it really

I believe the plates are iron but they have this glossy black finish on them. I kinda of like them slick. I don't think I can load 200 lbs (If I actually get in that range one day) on the bar I currently have and training with it will make the real euro feel that much easier. The equipment you make Rich always looks super professional. You might have a future making this stuff and selling it on the side.

Crush and thumb training with my Vulcan V2:

L = Level, G = Good Rep, F = Failed rep

Crush:

Right Hand

Warm Up

L 3 = 5 reps

L 6 = 3 reps

L 9 = 3 reps

Singles:

L 12 = G

L 13 = G

L 14 = G

L 15 = F, bad set

L 15 = F, another crap set

L 14 = G

L 14 = F

L 13 = G

L 12 = G

L 12 + Rubber Band top notches = G

Higher rep sets:

L 9 = 12 reps

L 10 = 9 reps

L 11 = 7 reps

L 11 = 5 reps

L 9 = 12 reps

Left Hand

Warm Up

L 3 = 5 reps

L 6 = 3 reps

L 9 = 3 reps

Singles

L 11 = G

L 12 = G

L 13 = F

L 13 = F

L 12 = G

L 12 + Rubber band top notches = F

L 12 = G

L 12 = G

L 12 = F

L 11 = G

Higher rep sets

L 8 = 12 reps

L 9 = 8 reps

L 9 = 7 reps

L 9 = 5 reps

L 9 = 5 reps

Thumb Work with thumb screws (Orange spring using both thumbs at the same time)

1) Bottom Notches = 10 reps

2) 2nd notches = 12 reps

3) Front - 2nd notch, Back - 3rd notch = 10 reps

4) Front - 2nd notch, Back - 3rd notch = 10 reps

5) 3rd notches = 10 reps

6) Front - 3rd, Back - 4th = 8 reps

7) Front - 3rd, Back - 4th = 8 reps

8) 3rd notches = 8 reps

9) 3rd notches = 10 reps

10) 3rd notches = 10 reps

Note = sub par performance with the left hand. Friday will be another pinch workout. My back was sore from the overhand axle DLs but it feels much better today. I think it was a good starting workout for DL's. Going to start slowly raising the weights on pinch and open hand/supporting grip workouts this week.

Nice workout, when picking up the Vulcan after a week or so or longer I always have to get used to the heavy set of the Vulcan.

Level 15 and beyond seems to be a sticking point for me.

Edited by Geralt

Me too man, Level 14 is no problem for me. I have only gotten level 15 twice. I just gotta keep working on my set. It will come.

Don't diff springs on the Vulcan make comparison impossible unless you have the same one?

In other words, Level 12 means something different depending on the spring used?

Don't diff springs on the Vulcan make comparison impossible unless you have the same one?

In other words, Level 12 means something different depending on the spring used?

very true. I'm using the black dipped spring but I know they vary just like grippers. I have never calibrated any of my grippers or my springs. I think I'm going to get my higher grippers calibrated soon though. I want to see where I stand before I attempt the MM3 in a couple months.

Thought you had a gold spring, if you have one also, is there a lot of difference?

Cheers!

I just got mine this past summer so its the new V2 with the dipped black spring that they used in the WSH this year. Horne's site says that the gold and dipped black are equivalent not counting for the normal variance between springs.

Check out Matti's calibration thread on DH forum, matey

I have tried signing up for DH's forum like 4 times, I never get the confirm email. I don't think he likes me lol.

Just watched that topic, but numbers in general fall a bit low, for instance, most Vulcan spring calibrations in whatever Vulcan version around level 15 aren´t around 3.0...

While level 15 for me is one hell of a close allready. Maybe that is because of the set that is more heavy than with a TSG? David rated the Vulcan with gold spring around 3.0 (approx. of course)

level 13 through level 15. But i don´t see myself closing level 15 CCS just yet...while the IM#3 gripper feels less heavy (as far as less heavy goes haha).

Ya, the Vulcan is harder because of the constant tension, wide spread and smooth handles. Rich actually calibrated his V2 with the dipped black spring and posted the numbers also.

Today was my pinch workout. This is definitely my weak point. This type of grip feels the least natural for me.

2 HP on my cheap version of a Euro which is super smooth and wide.

Warm Up

52.5 lbs = 5 reps

72.5 lbs = 3 reps

Working

1) 102.5 lbs = Good rep

2) 105 lbs = Good rep

3) 105 lbs = Good rep

4) 110 lbs = I tried putting gloves on at this point. Failed. Gotta take the gloves off since it felt harder with them on. My hand with just have to toughen up like they did with grippers. Gotta man up.

5) 100 lbs = Good and held for a little bit

6) 105 lbs = Good rep

7) 105 lbs = Good rep

8) 120 lbs = Failed. Got this last time :(

9) 100 lbs = Good rep

10) 100 lbs = Good rep

Vertical Hex DB one hand deadlift by face.

1) 40 lbs lifted and held as long as possible both left and right hand for 3 sets.

2) 45 lbs lifted and held as long as possible both left and right hand for 3 sets

Levering forwards and backwards

1) 10 lbs = 10 reps both left and right hand

Supination/Pronation

1) 10 lbs = 10 reps both left and right hand

1 Hand Negative pinch hold with Vulcan thumbscrews.

Note - I really want to work on my pinch so I thought of doing this exercise. I held the vulcan upside down with my thumb and fingers on the thumbscrews. I used my other hand to bring the handles to 2 inches apart and then let go and held it there as long as possible. I love this exercise since it feels like the 2HP Euro without cutting up my hand.

1) 2 red ironmind bands + 1 Blue ironmind band on the top notch = held at 2 inches for as long as possible with both left and right hand. Did this for 5 sets.

Lost power at my house because the snow caused trees to fall on power lines. Here is my thick bar and crush grip workout from yesterday. Started to increase the weights this week. Next week I will push it even more since I feel I still have more in the tank.

2 inch axle deadlift DO grip (2 inch PVC pipe over a 1 inch bar)

Warm up

129 lbs for 10 reps

Working

1) 234 lbs = 3 reps

2) 269 lbs = 1 rep

3) 284 lbs = 1 rep

4) 290 lbs = 1 rep – I wanted to do 300 but I ran out of weight downstairs and I was too lazy to get plates from upstairs. Next workout I’ll give 300 a try. Its probably a better idea for my back also.

2.5 inch handle DB 1 hand deadlift (piece of painted pipe uses as handle. Its painted with a glossy paint so its mad slick and doesn’t take chalk well)

1) 100 lbs = 5 reps left and right hand

2)115 lbs = 2 reps left and right hand

3) 120 lbs = 1 rep right, failed left

4) 120 lbs, 100lbs = 1 rep right with 120, did 3 reps left with 100

5) 120 lbs, 100lbs = 1 rep right with 120, 4 reps left with 100

Light TSG work (I’ll a longer TSG next workout)

Right Hand

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 parallel reps

COC #2.5 = 1 MMS rep

COC #2.5 = 1 MMS rep

Working

1) COC #3 = Just missed a MMS rep. Hand is definitely fatigued

2) RB 240 = 3 Parallel reps

3) RB 240 = 2 parallel reps

4) COC #2.5 = 3 parallel reps

5) COC #2.5 = 2 parallel reps

6) COC #2 = 10 Parallel reps

7) COC #2 = 15 Parallel reps

8) COC #2 = 10 Parallel reps

Left Hand

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 Parallel reps

COC # 2 = 1 MMS rep

COC #2 = 1 MMS rep

Working

1) BBM 5/8 inch = 3 Parallel reps

2) BBM 5/8 inch = 3 Parallel reps

3) BBM 5/8 inch = 3 Parallel reps

4) COC #2 = 1 MMS rep. Wow left is really fatigued.

5) BBM 5/8 inch = 3 Parallel reps

6) COC #1 = 10 NS reps

7) COC #1 = 8 NS reps

8) COC #1 = 5 NS reps

Note – I bought 2 two foot long 1 inch diameter steel pipes from a hardware store so I can load more weight for thick bar DB deadlifts (The bar I currently use maxes out at 120 lbs which I did this workout after axle deadlifts), timed holds and eventually for 2 HP when I get stronger. Next workout will be crush grip and light pinch.

Just got back from the gym. Played 3 games of basketball. Meet some cool guys who play there often. I was great in the first one. Played like Shaq in this prime and then my lack of cardio really slowed me down. I'm hoping to keep playing and fixed this problem. Lifted back and bis. After that was over, my arms were fatigued so I did some light training for the frame hold at nationals.

Timed weight holds

1) 2 100lb DBs (biggest the gym has unfortunately) held for as long as possible. I did this for 3 sets. Since the weight was lighter I held for longer and it really burned. My brother in law is grinding down the 2 foot long pipes I bought since they were slightly too wide for my standard plates. Once they are done I will be able to do holds with more weight at home. People always look at me funny when I do this at the gym :).

Tomorrow is TSG training Day!

Weak today on torsion spring grippers today. I think my hand is trying to adapt to the increased training lately. The weight holds with the 100 lb DBs last night probably didn't help either. I might lower the volume to allow more rest between workouts or my hands will just have to toughen up. I will need the endurance for comps anyway.

Right Hand

Warm Up

COC #1 = 8 CCS reps

COC #2 = 3 CCS reps

COC #2.5 = 1 CCS rep

Working

1) COC #3 CCS attempt = still can't close that little bit at the end.

20 MM Block set training:

1) BBGM = Good rep

2) RB 240 = Good rep

3) RB 240 = Good rep

4) RB 240 = Good rep

5) BBGM = failed, pissed about this. This gripper is usually easy for me. My hand is def fatigued but I'm going to finish the workout.

6) RB 240 = 2 reps, just missed 3rd

7) RB 240 = 2 reps

8) RB 240 = 2 reps

9) RB 240 = Good rep

Wider sets:

1) GNC 200 = 3 NS reps

2) GNC 200 = 4 MMS reps

3) GNC 200 = 1 MMS rep.

Pinch Negative holds at 2 inches with Vulcan Thumbscrews

Orange spring bottom notches = held as long as possible for 5 sets

Left hand

Warm Up

COC #1 = 8 CCS reps

COC #2 = 3 CCS reps

Working

20 MM block sets:

1) COC 2.5 = Good rep

2) COC 2.5 = just missed. this was wider than 20 mm

3) GNC 200 = Good rep

4) GNC 200 = Good rep

5) GNC 200 = Good rep

6) GNC 200 = Good rep

7) GNC 200 = Good rep

8) COC #2 = 6 reps

9) GNC 200 = Good rep

10) GNC 200 = Good rep

Wider sets:

1) BBM 5/8 = 6 NS reps

2) COC #2 = 1 NS rep

3) COC #2 = 1 NS rep

Pinch Negative holds at 2 inches with Vulcan Thumbscrews

Orange spring bottom notches = held as long as possible for 5 sets

Note - Next workout is suppose to be pinch on friday but I'm going to play it by ear. I might push it to saturday if my hand still feels beat up.

Edited by Chez

When I woke up my hands and forearms were crazy sore. They loosen up as the day went on. They are definitely getting bigger. I have a big bump of muscle between my thumb and index finger. I decided to do my pinch workout today and make my body adapt. They are just sore not hurt so I'm going to push through for now.

Here are pictures of the stuff I used in this workout:

Pinch and Wrist Stuff

2 HP on Cheap "Euro" set up

Warm up

50 lbs for 5 reps

Working

Singles:

1) 100 lbs = Good rep

2) 115 lbs = Good rep

3) 120 lbs = Failed rep. oh well. I got this 2 weeks ago but I can't do it again. At least the rest of the numbers are better this week than last week.

4) 115 lbs = Good rep

5) 106 lbs = Good rep

6) 108.5 lbs = Good rep

7) 111 lbs = Good rep

8) 111 lbs = Good rep

9) 115 lbs = Failed

10) 106 lbs = Good rep

Full Pinch reps with Vulcan thumb screws

1) Red and Green ironmind bands on top notches = 10 reps on right and then left hand.

2) Red, Green and white bands on top notches = 10 reps on right and then left hand.

3) Red, Green and white bands on top notches = 10 reps on right and then left hand.

Levering forwards and backwards

1) 10 lbs = 10 reps for 3 sets on right and then left hand.

Note = Going to keep pushing forward but lower the volume on each workout. Going for 300+ lbs on the axle deadlift next workout. My back has been feeling great.

Edited by Chez

I was inspired to do a torsion spring gripper workout when I saw Tim close the MM7. I did this earlier today before I had to go to a family party (I'm Italian so I have a family party almost every week)

Right Hand

Warm Up

COC #1 = 10 MMS reps

COC #2 = 3 MMS rep

COC #2.5 = 1 MMS rep

Working

1) MM1 replica = 1 solid rep wider than parallel. Just missed a 2nd rep. Just a tiny bit of space between the handles. I really want to rep this gripper with a wide set for the first time. I want that MM3 cert so bad. I feel its a major cut off that separates the men from the boys. My MM1 replica feels harder than the actual MM1

2) MM1 replica = 1 solid rep wider than parallel.

3) GNC 300 = 1 rep wider than parallel

4) GNC 300 = 1 rep wider than parallel

5) GNC 300 = 1 rep wider than parallel

6) COC #3 = 1 MMS rep

7) COC #3 = 2 MMS rep

8) COC #3 = 2 MMS rep

9) BBGM = 1 MMS rep

10) COC #2.5 = failed CCS attempt. hand is fatigued.

Left Hand

Warm Up

COC #1 = 10 MMS reps

COC #2 = 3 MMS rep

Working

1) RB 240 = 1 MMS rep

2) RB 240 = 1 MMS rep

3) COC #2.5 = 1 MMS rep

4) COC #2.5 = 1 MMS rep

5) COC #2.5 = Just missed an MMS close

6) GNC 200 = 1 MMS rep

7) GNC 200 = 1 MMS rep

8) GNC 200 = 1 MMS rep

9) GNC 200 = 1 MMS rep

10) GNC 200 = 1 MMS rep

Note - Felt much better on grippers today. It was nice to bounce after a cruddy TSG workout last time. I had a little too much wine at the family party since it was open bar lol. Once it passes, I'm going to do some thick bar work tonight and then study again :(.

"I want that MM3 cert so bad. I feel its a major cut off that separates the men from the boys" Strange... that is how I feel about getting the MM1 right now.

I'm sure when you get to MM3 you'll feel satisfied and stop ;)

After looking at the MM pyramid the MM3 is were the 1st big drop-off occurs so I see were you get that opinion of the boys to men cutoff. Goes from 39 to 13 in one step, cut by a third. I noticed that MM1 to MM2 is a cut of a little less that half.

After MM3 it slowly shrinks down until MM6 where another big drop occurs and another big drop to the 7.

I would say that the MM6 separates the Freaks from the Men! I hope to see you there!

After looking at the MM pyramid the MM3 is were the 1st big drop-off occurs so I see were you get that opinion of the boys to men cutoff. Goes from 39 to 13 in one step, cut by a third. I noticed that MM1 to MM2 is a cut of a little less that half.

After MM3 it slowly shrinks down until MM6 where another big drop occurs and another big drop to the 7.

I would say that the MM6 separates the Freaks from the Men! I hope to see you there!

Ahem...that's now 40 thank you very much!

If you think about it, the MM1 and MM2 are slightly harder than an average #3 but MM3 and MM4 are at or slightly harder than the average #3.5 and it seems like many don't continue training to get strong enough to dominate their 3.5 so they never get to this level.

Rich - I noticed that trend as well. It seems like the guys who had the drive to get the MM3 were the ones who kept going and of course there are the ones like Paul and Tim who are on a whole different level.

Russ - Doesn't the lag time between getting the cert and it being posted on the website suck. I showed someone the list before it got updated and they were like "I thought you got the #2 also".

Tonight I did some thick bar, wrist work and pinch work. I was suppose to do this yesterday but I was tired and a little tipsy from the family party :tongue.

2.5 inch diameter handle DB One hand deadlift.

1) 100 lbs for 5 reps Left and Right hand

2) 106 lbs for 5 reps left and Right hand

3) 106 lbs for 10 reps left and Right hand (the original plan was to keep increasing the weight but I lent some weight plates to my bro in law so he could use them as a gauge for the pipes he is grinding down for me. Tonight will have to be high reps instead).

4) 106lbs for 5 reps left and right hand - felt a little soreness in my low back so I cut it here.

Supination/pronation

10 lbs for 3 sets of 10 reps both left and right hand.

Negative pinch holds with vulcan thumb screws at 2 inches open.

2 Red Ironmind Bands and 1 Blue band on the top notches held for as long as possible for 5 sets.

TSG workout today. I have noticed that lots of people are making big gains by doing higher rep with lighter grippers and I decided to give it a try to mix things up and keep my body guessing.

Note - All reps in this workout were done as fast and explosive as possible. I wanted to hear a loud click from the handles every time. I could have done more reps but I wanted to keep all the reps explosive.

Right Hand

Warm Up

COC #1 = 10 explosive MMS reps

COC #2 = 3 explosive MMS reps

Working

1) COC #2.5 = 8 explosive MMS reps

2) COC #2.5 = 9 explosive MMS reps

3) COC #2.5 = 6 explsove MMS reps

Sets 4 -10) COC #2 = 10 explosive MMS reps for sets 4 through 10

Left Hand

Warm Up

COC #1 = 10 explosive MMS reps

Working

Sets 1-3) COC #2 = 5 explosive MMs reps

Sets 4-7) BBM 5/8 inch = 8 explosive MMS reps

Sets 8-10) COC #1 = 10 explosive MMS reps

I liked this workout a lot. Going to do this for a couple weeks at a time and switch to a max effort TSG workout with lower reps. Its fun making the handles click that loud. Tonight I'm going to do some set work with the Vulcan.

I think the explosive reps will work well. I did mine today and was suprised at how much @114# gripper could wear me down. I hope you get some huge gains!