Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

Really quick Sledge and extensor work last night:

Sledge to forehead

6 lb sledge - 10x each hand

10 lb sledge - 5x each hand

12 lb sledge + 3 lbs mag weights - 3 sets of 10x each arm. 

Front Levering

6 lb Sledge 3 fingers behind tape - 3 sets of 10x each hand. Too easy. Need to move further back next time

Sledge pro/sup

6 lb Sledge middle finger on tape - 3 sets of 10x each hand

Extensors

IM Red - 3 sets of 50x

Need to keep consistent with the wrist and extensor work.......

• Like 1

Hit up the new gym with my buddy last night. I was super tired at work and on the drive there. I haven't been sleeping well this week and my eyes were heavy on the drive over to the gym so I stopped for caffeine. It helped but still not the strongest workout. My power was lower than usual. Used my new fit grips 2.0 (about 2 3/8" once on the handles) for rowing movements to get some thickbar work in. 

Bench Press

275 lbs - double

285 lbs - double

295 lbs - single. This was a grinder. I knew at this point max power wasn't there tonight. Going to drop down to some 5 rep sets next week.  

275 lbs - double

225 lbs - 10x

245 lbs - 5x

Incline DB Bench Press

80 lb DBs - 5x

95 lb DBs - 5x

100 lb DBs - 5x

105 lb DBs - 5x

Hammer Strength Lat Pulldown Facing away from machine with fit grips 2.0 on handles

90 lbs each side - 10x

135 lbs each side - 3 sets of 8x 

Hammer Strength Lat Pulldown facing machine with fit grips 2.0 on handles

90 lbs each side - 10x 

100 lbs each side - 8x

110 lbs each side - 8x

115 lbs each side - 6x

Hammer Strength Rows with fit grips 2.0 on handles

90 lbs each side - 10x

115 lbs each side - 8x

135 lbs each side - 8x

180 lbs each side - 5x

1 Arm Lat Pullsdowns with fit grips 2.0 on handle

80 lbs - 8x each hand

90 lbs - 8x each hand

100 lbs - 5x each hand

110 lbs - 5x each hand

- Finished up the night doing my physical therapy stretches/exercises for my Achilles.  

- On Saturday I will focus on my 2" Wrist Roller since it has been confirmed as an event for grip nationals. I'll also throw in some additional thick bar work. 

• Like 3

On 3/11/2018 at 6:04 PM, Chez said:

sorry to hear that dude. Foot problems are the worst. They mess up your entire body's alignment and cause other issues. 

Yes!  My lower back can just flare up sometimes for really no obvious reason also...I’m pretty sure it all stems from my feet. 

Im a lurker here for the most part, but am quite familiar with your gripper work from reading here and seeing you on Youtube. I have no doubt you will get the MM7! 3.5 also seems just a matter of time

Edited by Booze
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Booze said:

Yes!  My lower back can just flare up sometimes for really no obvious reason also...I’m pretty sure it all stems from my feet. 

Im a lurker here for the most part, but am quite familiar with your gripper work from reading here and seeing you on Youtube. I have no doubt you will get the MM7! 3.5 also seems just a matter of time

A good way to combat foot issues is strength in your gluteus Maximus and medius.. a lot of foot and ankle issues stem from weakness there.

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

A good way to combat foot issues is strength in your gluteus Maximus and medius.. a lot of foot and ankle issues stem from weakness there.

Interesting, I never would’ve thought that! I’ll have to investigate this further!

1 hour ago, Booze said:

Interesting, I never would’ve thought that! I’ll have to investigate this further!

Yup. It affects you down the chain. Weak hips can manifest is foot and ankle dysfunction 

Goes both ways, a lot of hip dysfunctions are caused by lack of ankle stability. Everything in the body affects everything else. 

11 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Goes both ways, a lot of hip dysfunctions are caused by lack of ankle stability. Everything in the body affects everything else. 

Yes Mike... but typically a weak glute complex will manifest in ankle and foot issues that never get diagnosed as hip weakness. I see it all the time with my own patients. Too many try to use a cookie cutter approach to ankle and foot issues and never get beyond the root cause. I’m sure many go through the same approach and wonder why their feet and ankle mobility and pain persists..... outside of a true structural abnormality. Also weak anterior tibialis weakness is also a culprit.

Totally agree, just speaking in general. Neck issues can cause back pain, back issues cause shoulder pain, everything is connected. People often think of bodies as machines with separate and distinct pieces but that doesn't really exist in biology. 

19 hours ago, Booze said:

Thanks man. I’m totally dedicated and won’t stop until my name is on both those lists. Glad to see you posting and getting involved on the board. It’s a great community.

thanks for the advice John and Mike. I’m working hard to overcome these foot issues. I have come a long way and won’t stop improving. 

Edited by Chez

53 minutes ago, Chez said:

Thanks man. I’m totally dedicated and won’t stop until my name is on both those lists. Glad to see you posting and getting involved on the board. It’s a great community.

thanks for the advice John and Mike. I’m working hard to overcome these foot issues. I have come a long way and won’t stop improving. 

Who’s John?

6 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Who’s John?

Oops. Sorry man. Typo. Joe. Long day and lots of training 

33 minutes ago, Chez said:

33 minutes ago, Chez said:

I know I was just ball breaking 

behind in the log again. Trained Saturday, Sunday and last night. I'll just hit the highlights from Saturday and Sunday to save time and give a full report of last night:

Saturday 3/17/18

I met up with my friend to train with him outside before heading over the gym. He did farmer's walks in his backyard and wanted me to try as well but I decided not to push the strained Achilles and just picked up some light weight in place once or twice to get the feel of it. He has a steel weight sled which I attached to my 2" inch FBBC wrist roller with extra rope and pulled it uphill on his lawn for about 8 times and probably 25 or so feet each time. This was brutal. The sled alone weighs a good amount and pulling it uphill over a bumpy lawn was tough stuff. The FBBC roller is also very slick making this even harder. My forearms got a super pump from this. Going to do this every other weekend to get ready for the wrist roller at nationals.

After I finished the wrist roller, I went to the gym and finished my workout. I worked up to a set of 190 lbs x 3 on the standing overhead barbell press.  I then did shrugs, upright rows and rack pulls with my 2.0 fit grips on the thickest barbell to get some extra thick bar work in. My hands were toast after this. Did some other accessory movements but nothing special and worth mentioning. 

Sunday 3/18/18

This is my leg day but because I'm letting the achillies heal, I just did 5 sets of leg extensions pyramiding up in weight to 210 lbs for 10 reps, and hamstring curls with 125 lbs for each set. I then hit Left hand grippers and worked up to my 172 lb COC #3.5 for a couple singles. I knew my left crush was going to be weak because I stopped training it weeks back before the 4forfeb comp and I hit thick bar twice this week (wednesday and yesterday). Surprised it wasn't even weaker honestly. I did 3 sets of 10 with a 45 lb Plate for strict plate wrist curls and 3 sets of 10 with a 10 lb plate for single hand reverse wrist curls. finished with other accessories. 

Wednesday 3/21/18

We got hit with a snow storm so I left work early since they said it would be its worst at 4pm. My buddy invited me over again to train with him since hes really close so I went straight from work to his place. Got in a light back and chest session:

Bench Press

- Decided to try a new program and these programs are always light in the beginning:

185 lbs - 8x

205 lbs - 6x

225 lbs - 4x

240 lbs - 3x

252.5 lbs - 2x

260 lbs - 1x

210 lbs - 4x

- Easy stuff   

Incline Bench Press

185 lbs - 8x

205 lbs - 2 sets of 6x

Barbell Rows

185 lbs - 8 sets of 10x

Simple light workout for a snowy day

• Like 3

Quick training session today before running to a family party:

Standing Overhead Barbell Press

135 lbs - 5x

155 lbs - 5x

175 lbs - 9x. I think I could have gotten a 10th but decided that was enough.

Flask 2 Hand pinch (slick flask)

166 lbs - 3 singles

151 lbs - 3 doubles

141 lbs - 3 triples 

- wanted to do more volume but the skin on my thumbs was too beat up

Cannon Power Works 2 Hand Dynamic Pony Clamp Pinch

Clamp + 5 rubber bands doubled up - 5 sets of 20x

Cannon Power Works 2 Hand Dynamic Pony Clamp Key Pinch

Clamp - 5 sets of 10-15 reps. Need to add rubber bands next time

Machine Rear Laterals

120 lbs - 3 sets of 10

Machine 1 Arm Curls 

140 lbs - 3 sets of 8x each arm 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Freaking awesome training session today. Best gripper session since last fall and I tested out my brand new napalm's nightmare and it was great:

Hamstring Curls

125 lbs - 5 sets of 10x

Leg Extensions

130 lbs - 10x

150 lbs - 10x

170 lbs - 10x

190 lbs - 10x

210 lbs - 10x

MMS Right Hand Grippers

194+ lb Super Elite - 6 Straight Singles! Boom! Had my buddy judge my last close to make sure. Best Session since the fall

185 + lb MM3 - single. I thought this was the 176 lb MM3 and planned it for my first double but I knew right away after the close it wasn't so only a single considering my fatigue at this point. Oh well, mistake. 

174 lb RB 280 - 3 doubles. Easy money

172 lb COC #3.5 - 4 triples

165 lb Elite - 4 sets of 4x

RBA Right Hand Negatives

Setting 6-6 - Negative and 10 second hold

Setting 6-7 - Negative and 5 second Hold

Setting 7-7 - Negative and 5 second hold

Crush is Strong Today!

Napalm's Nightmare 2 3/8" Handles Back Extensions on Cable Row

230 lbs - 6x, 5x, 5x, 5x

Napalm's Nightmare 2 3/8" Handles Cable Rows

170 lbs - 10x, 10x, 8x

Napalm's Nightmare 2 3/8" Handles Lat Pulls Downs

130 lbs - 10x, 10x

140 lbs - 10x

Napalm's Nightmare 2 3/8" Handles Upright Cable Rows

100 lbs - 10x

120 lbs - 10x

130 lbs - 10x

- Obviously my right hand was fatigued when doing all the NN work after all the heavy gripper Closes.  Next weekend is my dedicated thickbar day so I’ll go heavier with the NN

- My crush is feeling strong. Feel like I'm right on track to peak at nationals at June. The 195 lb Gripper is going down 20mm Block at nationals and I should be able to kill the MM7 this summer if I stick to the plan. 

- Going to do extensors and Achilles PT exercises tonight. My Achilles is feeling much better. really happy with the progress 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Jörg Keilbach said:

Sounds great! Keep going!!!

Thanks buddy. I feel great. In a very good groove. I'm going to really focus now to finally certify the MM7. Tunnel vision time. 

Great chest and bicep workout tonight with my buddy:

Bench Press

185 lbs - 8x

205 lbs - 6x

235 lbs - 4x

245 lbs - 3x

255 lbs - 2x

265 lbs - 1x

215 lbs - 14x. Max reps until the triceps said no more

Incline Bench Press

185 lbs - 5x

205 lbs - 5x

225 lbs - 3x

235 lbs - 3x

Dumbbell Bench Press

85 lb DBs - 5x

95 lb DBs - 5x

105 lb DBs - 5x

Decline Hammer Strength Press

90 lbs Each side - 10x

115 lbs each side - 2 sets of 8x

Incline Hammer Strength Press

90 lbs each side - 10x

90 lbs each side - 2 sets of 8x

Standing Alternating DB Curls 

45 lb DBs - 8x

50 lb DBs - 8x

55 lb DBs - 8x

My friend is insane. He stayed after to keep going. I was exhausted and cut the session there. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Pretty exciting news. Jedd is going to loan me his old COC #4 which rates 199.5 lbs to try. I tried it years back in 2014 months before I closed Aaron's #4 and John Eaton's #4 and I missed by a small margin. I'm stronger now so I think I have a shot. Here is the thread where I have stills of that old attempt. I want revenge this time! If I get it, it will be the third #4 I have ever closed and my first close in the 4 yeas since I closed those two in front of Aaron. I love setting up challenges for myself like this. Keep training fresh and exciting!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

You gonna try to cert on one? That would be AWESOME!

I wish. For the COC cert its need to be a brand new gripper. I will let you in a little secret though. I have a 199 rated GHP 9 and I bought it because my lifetime goal is to use it for that certification process since you can use your own gripper for GHP's certification process. 

If they never changed the original COC certification rules I would be on the #4 list. The new rules that make cert incredibly hard. Brand new gripper so you can get a tough rating and CCS is very wide. 

Edited by Chez

18 minutes ago, Chez said:

I wish. For the COC cert its need to be a brand new gripper. I will let you in a little secret though. I have a 199 rated GHP 9 and I bought it because my lifetime goal is to use it for that certification process since you can use your own gripper for GHP's certification process. 

If they never changed the original COC certification rules I would be on the #4 list. The new rules that make cert incredibly hard. Brand new gripper so you can get a tough rating and CCS is very wide. 

That stinks they changed it. I’m new to all this stuff so I am learning all this fresh. I think that’s why I always did TNS.... but I guess that will only take you so far once I broke the #3 barrier. Gotta practice other sets. You can do it! Keep at it if you want it bad enough it will be done!

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

That stinks they changed it. I’m new to all this stuff so I am learning all this fresh. I think that’s why I always did TNS.... but I guess that will only take you so far once I broke the #3 barrier. Gotta practice other sets. You can do it! Keep at it if you want it bad enough it will be done!

Ya. No one has certified on the #4 since the rules changes. That’s why the last cert was 2004.