Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

Great training session today. Felt real strong on the Little Big Horn:

Lying Hamstring Curls

125 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Little Big Horn

Left Hand 

166 lbs - 1x. That felt real good. Matching my pr from last session on my slick LBH. I had to try more

171 lbs - 1x. New PR on my LBH. Hell ya!

166 lbs - 2 singles. On top of setting a new PR, I got 3 singles with the Previous PR. Feeling strong 

146 lbs - 2 sets of 3x. Pretty easy

151 lbs - 2 sets of 3x

Right Hand

166 lbs - 1x. PR righty

156 lbs - 2 singles 

161 lbs - 2 singles 

146 lbs - 4 sets of 3x

DO Sumo Deadlifts with the thicker Oly Bar

295 lbs - 3 sets of 3x

1 Arm Lat Pulldowns with spinning handle and manus grips 

80 lbs - 8x each side 

90 lbs - 8x each side

100 lbs - 8x each side

1 Arm Cable Rows with spinning handle and manus grips

90 lbs - 3 sets of 8x each side 

- feel like I’m peaking nicely for this comp. 3 weeks to go!

• Like 1

On 31.01.2018 at 6:54 AM, Chez said:

Quick sledge and extensor work tonight:

Sledge to forehead

6 lb sledge - 10x each hand

10 lb sledge - 10x each hand

12 lb sledge -  3 sets of 11x each hand. I ordered magnetic weights and they are their way because the 12 is getting too easy and I hate super high reps

Front Levering

6 lb Sledge with hand two finger widths behind the blue tape - 3 sets of 10x each hand

Sledge Pro/Sup

6 lb Sledge with middle finger on the blue tape - 3 sets of 10x each hand

Extensors

Red + White Band - 3 sets of 60x each hand. 

Operation Popeye Progress Pics:

"It's not a tumor!"

IMG_0500.JPG

IMG_0502.JPG

What're your BW and height?

5 hours ago, Stanislav said:

What're your BW and height?

Hey man. I’m 6’2” and 280 lbs right now 

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Hey man. I’m 6’2” and 280 lbs right now 

Hi fella, pretty impressive mine MOLry6yvd38.jpg

My BW is 234 lbs and height = 178 cm a bit less than 6'

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stanislav said:

Hi fella, pretty impressive mine MOLry6yvd38.jpg

My BW is 234 lbs and height = 178 cm a bit less than 6'

Thanks. You have an impressive forearm also. 

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

Thanks. You have an impressive forearm also. 

Thanks Chez 
Wish you good training results, I know you have an awesome crushing grip strength

• Thanks 1

Just now, Stanislav said:

Thanks Chez 
Wish you good training results, I know you have an awesome crushing grip strength

Thank you! Wish you all the best in your training as well 

• Like 1

You guys were measuring your calves right? Damn - junk in the arm trunk

5 hours ago, Anton.Torrella said:

You guys were measuring your calves right? Damn - junk in the arm trunk

I’ll have to measure my calves. They suck. Might be close between my forearms and calves 😜

Couldn’t train yesterday because of errands and going over a friends place for the super bowl. Felt like crap today because my food allergy was acting up. I think I got cross contaminated at the party. Still managed to drag myself to the gym tonight and have a great workout. It’s nights like this that make the difference. Had to sack up and get the work done:

Standing Overhead Press

45 lb bar - 20x

135 lbs - 5x

160 lbs - 4x

180 lbs - 3x

190 lbs - 2x

215 lbs - 1x. Not too shabby considering I felt like crap all day. 

180 lbs - 3 sets of 3x

160 lbs - 3 sets of 5x

- going to attempt 225 next week for a PR. I want revenge for missing it right at lockout months back. Feeling confident

Machine Rear Laterals 

130 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

Seated Calf Raises 

100 lbs + apparatus - 4 sets of 20x. Calves are feeling stronger. 

1 Arm Machine Curls

150 lbs - 3 sets of 8x each arm. Machine maxes out at 180 and I want to hit this year.

Machine Crunches

125 lbs - 3 sets of 20x 

Edited by Chez

Good late night sledge work tonight. Busted out my new mag weights for the first time:

Sledge to forehead 

6 lb sledge - 10x each hand 

10 lb sledge - 10x each hand 

12 lb sledge + 1.25 mag weight - 3 sets of 10x each hand. Officially the strongest I have ever been on this movement. That didn’t feel bad at all. 

Front Lever 

6 lb sledge with hand 3 fingers behind blue tape - 3 sets of 10x each hand 

Sledge Pro/Sup

6 lb sledge middle finger on blue tape - 3 sets of 10x each hand

Extensors

Red + Gold Bands - 4 sets of 25x each hand

- wrist keeps getting stronger. If I want to reach my goals, everything needs to get stronger. I have keep working my ass off.

• Like 1

Sledgeasaurus!

ANW Nate Approved!  :rock:rock

• Like 1

9 hours ago, anwnate said:

Sledgeasaurus!

ANW Nate Approved!  :rock:rock

haha. Thanks. I really want to strict lever a 20lb Sledge this summer. i just bought some more magnetic weight. I plan on adding it to my 12lber for training but eventually want to buy an actual 20 lber to pull off the feat. 

I felt dam tired walking into the gym tonight but of course my buddy who is a strong bench presser pushed me so I manned up! The plan went out the window tonight. Went by feel. 

Incline Bench Press

245 lbs - 4 sets of triples

275 lbs - 1x. Slow grinder but I got it. 

- Have I mentioned that I hate this incline bench. The bar is set way to far back so the lift off is awkward. 

Decline Bench press

225 lbs - 3x

245 lbs - 3x

265 lbs - 2x

285 lbs - 1x

305 lbs - Slight Miss. Got stuck half way up and my buddy had to put his finger tips lightly on it to keep it moving. 

255 lbs - 3x

Flat Bench press

225 lbs - 5 sets of 5x

Incline DB Bench Press

80 lb DBs - 5x

90 lb DBs - 5x

100 lb DBs - 5x. little more in the tank

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Took Friday off from work and went on a weekend trip. Quick workout yesterday in the hotel’s fitness room:

1 Arm Lat Pull Downs 

150 lbs - 10x each hand

160 lbs - 10x each hand

170 lbs - 10x each hand

180 lbs - 10x each hand

1 Arm Cable Rows

150 lbs - 10x each hand

160 lbs - 10x each hand

170 lbs - 10x each hand

180 lbs - 10x each hand

- pulley is fairly easy so weights are high on these two exercises 

1 Arm Steep Angle Dumbbell Preacher Curls (using back of an adjustable weight bench)

50 lb DB - 5x each arm 

45 lb DB - 8x each arm 

40 lb DB - 2 sets of 10x each arm

Single Leg Standing Calf Raises on a small Step 

Bodyweight - 4 sets of 20x each leg 

Lying Leg Raises in Static Crunch 

2 sets of 15x

On 2/6/2018 at 11:25 PM, Chez said:

Good late night sledge work tonight. Busted out my new mag weights for the first time:

Sledge to forehead 

6 lb sledge - 10x each hand 

10 lb sledge - 10x each hand 

12 lb sledge + 1.25 mag weight - 3 sets of 10x each hand. Officially the strongest I have ever been on this movement. That didn’t feel bad at all. 

Front Lever 

6 lb sledge with hand 3 fingers behind blue tape - 3 sets of 10x each hand 

Sledge Pro/Sup

6 lb sledge middle finger on blue tape - 3 sets of 10x each hand

Extensors

Red + Gold Bands - 4 sets of 25x each hand

- wrist keeps getting stronger. If I want to reach my goals, everything needs to get stronger. I have keep working my ass off.

Great sledge work Chez!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

Great sledge work Chez!

Thanks buddy. My new 5 lb magnetic weight came in the mail today. Looking forward hunting down a 20 lb sledge lever 

• Like 1

Great Session Tonight. i set a standing overhead press PR and felt very strong on the hub. Only did "ok" on the blockbuster but its hard to knock it out of the park on everything in the same session. 

Standing Overhead Barbell Shoulder Press

- wanted to test my max tonight

45 lb Bar - 20x

95 lbs - 8x

135 lbs - 5x

155 lbs - 3x

175 lbs - 1x

195 lbs - 1x

225 - 1x. PR! Boom! I Missed this right at lockout a couple months ago and tonight I got revenge. Video below. Really happy with that. Especially since this is on a week night after work. Took several minutes between sets since this was a testing night. 

IM Hub

Left Hand

65 lbs - 3 singles. Dam those felt easy. Left hand is on tonight.

57.5 lbs - 3 triples

Right Hand

60 lbs - 2 singles

55 lbs - 1 single

50 lbs - 3 triples

- by contrast, my right was off with the hub tonight. Just didn't feel right with the hand placing. Oh well, I'm using my left for the comp anyway and I think I have a chance to break my old comp PR of 72 lbs. 

IM BlockBuster 

Right Hand

67.5 lbs - single. Tried to go higher but I wasn't on tonight so I couldn't match my PR of 72.5 lbs from last session. The device felt slicker than usual. Might be because I let my friend try and the oil from his hands effected the texture. My warm ups got a little out of order also. I decided to jump down and get solid work in. 

65 lbs - 3 singles

57.5 lbs - 3 triples

Left Hand

62.5 lbs - 3 singles

52.5 lbs - 3 triples

Thumbscrews Dynamic Pinch

3 sets of 10x each hand

- Last pinch session before the comp and it felt good. Here is the video of the 225 lb Overhead PR:

Edited by Chez
  • Like 7

Congrats on the 225lbs! Great hub work too - is your blockbuster starting to season at all yet or still retaining its slippery finish? - I tried to seriously train on it with @Vinnie two Sundays ago and it was terrible, definitely the most challenging pinch block I've worked with - well to me it was terrible, Vinnies a pinch sorcerer 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Congrats on the 225lbs! Great hub work too - is your blockbuster starting to season at all yet or still retaining its slippery finish? - I tried to seriously train on it with @Vinnie two Sundays ago and it was terrible, definitely the most challenging pinch block I've worked with - well to me it was terrible, Vinnies a pinch sorcerer 

EURO pinch, maybe, since I'm doing 15 pounds over body weight on that and I'm proud of that, but alas on hub and block I am mortal lol.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Thanks man. I felt like I was getting some good texture on it last session when I hit my PR of 72.5, but It felt much more slippery this past session. The chalk doesn't hold well and my buddy came over with sweaty hands and stripped it off so that could be a factor. I know Nate's is much better at least. Hopefully I have a good day at the comp. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Really great gripper workout last night. My best in months. If you have been following my log my CNS was getting pretty fried a couple months back from going all out on grippers constantly. I hit my all time strongest when I doubled my 194 lb SE but I started to fade after. I decided I needed a deload and backed off a little. I think at this point in my training its necessary. i'm trying to train in cycles where I start light and ramp up for comps and certs. I think its working nicely. This wasn't my best gripper workout ever but I man handled my 194 SE for the first time in months so I'm happy. 

Hamstring Curls

110 lbs - 10x

125 lbs 2 sets of 10x

Leg Extensions

150 lbs - 10x

170 lbs - 10x

180 lbs - 10x

190 lbs - 8x

200 lbs - 6x. 

- My right Achilles has been tight and sore lately. I did some research and I think its Achilles tendinitis. Going to stay away from squats and deadlifts for a little bit until it gets better.  

Right Hand MMS Grippers

- wasn't sure how this would go since I was super tired when I got to the gym. On top of that, I left a lot of my warm up grippers at home by accident so I had to warm up with my RBA which I never do. The warm ups didn't feel good either. Harder than they should be. I ran to do leg extensions before the working sets to get the CNS firing and it worked perfectly as I was able to turn the session around.

190 lb MM5 - Felt good. There is more in the tank

194 lb Super Elite - 3 straight Singles and I felt the handles touch convincingly on each! First time closing this gripper in training in the past couple months. I'm peaking nicely. 

176 lb MM3 - 1 double

174 lb RB 280 - 2 doubles

165 lb Elite - 3 triples

158 lb COC #3 - 2 sets of 5x

144 lb COC #3 - 2 sets of 8x

- I left out 1 set of 5x and 1 set of 8x and the RBA negatives tonight as a cut on my pinky opened up. No point losing more skin right before a comp. I also don't want to get injured so close to a comp. This session did its job anyway. It made me confident on grippers going into the comp and I got some nice work in since I could feel my hand working hard.

- This is my last grip workout before the comp. I plan to lift normal for the rest of the week and then lighter next week leading to the comp so i'm fresh. .  

• Like 3

How do you work the different gripper "sets"? Do you use multiple sets in a workout or just stick with one? Do you rotate them from workout to workout or just concentrate on one width based on upcoming comps, certs etc? 

4 minutes ago, Andrew Dube said:

How do you work the different gripper "sets"? Do you use multiple sets in a workout or just stick with one? Do you rotate them from workout to workout or just concentrate on one width based on upcoming comps, certs etc? 

I stick with MMS mostly because I believe its the best for strength and trickles down to the other sets. for example if you want to CCS a #3, it gets much easier to do that when you are closing a gripper well above a #3 with an MMS set. I do throw in specific set work as I get closer to comps and certs for set efficiency so its automatic when the time comes.

Right now, my biggest goal is to be the 5th man to certify the MM7 this year so I'm really focusing strictly on MMS work. I also want to cert the #3.5 as well and balancing those 2 sets can be challenging. The trickle down method works best for me. Once my MMS is strong enough and I cert the MM7/MM8, I should be able to cert the COC #3.5 by just practicing CCS leading up to that cert. If I concentrate too much on CCS, it will hurt my MMS strength but focusing on MMS will eventually help my CCS if that makes sense.   

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Chez said:

I stick with MMS mostly because I believe its the best for strength and trickles down to the other sets. for example if you want to CCS a #3, it gets much easier to do that when you are closing a gripper well above a #3 with an MMS set. I do throw in specific set work as I get closer to comps and certs for set efficiency so its automatic when the time comes.

Right now, my biggest goal is to be the 5th man to certify the MM7 this year so I'm really focusing strictly on MMS work. I also want to cert the #3.5 as well and balancing those 2 sets can be challenging. The trickle down method works best for me. Once my MMS is strong enough and I cert the MM7/MM8, I should be able to cert the COC #3.5 by just practicing CCS leading up to that cert. If I concentrate too much on CCS, it will hurt my MMS strength but focusing on MMS will eventually help my CCS if that makes sense.   

Thanks Chez, really appreciate your insight! Good luck with your gripper goals this year. Looks like you're on track to crush them this year ;)

• Thanks 1