Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

2 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

Don't mind me. I am just taking some notes.

Haha. No secret ninja workouts here @anwnate

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

Haha. No secret ninja workouts here @anwnate

Oh...does that mean you will cert the #3.5 with me at SJ4?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, anwnate said:

Oh...does that mean you will cert the #3.5 with me at SJ4?

Nah I'll just cert the #4. Why waste my time with a lesser cert.......😜

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Tonight's training:

Smith Machine Squats

275 lbs - 3x

310 lbs - 3x

350 lbs - 5x

Incline Smith Machine Bench Press

210 lbs - 3x

240 lbs - 3x

270 lbs - 6x

Flat Bench Press

185 lbs - 8x

205 lbs - 8x

225 lbs - 8x

Forearms are still crazy sore from the weekend but that is good because it means gains are coming.

stay the course........

Pretty good quick session tonight:

Deadlifts

295 lbs - 3x

335 lbs - 3x

380 lbs - 7x. It was the number I had in my head so I'm happy to hit it and stop. Dig my new Sabo deadlift shoes.

Standing Overhead Barbell Press

145 lbs - 3x

165 lbs - 3x

185 lbs - 3x

yesterday, I mapped out all my remaining workouts leading up to the comp while compensating for my upcoming vacation and rest before the comp.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Quick session today to finish up some accessory work. I have a family party Sunday so I have less time than usual this week so I decided to get some done today:

One Arm Preacher Machine Curls

setting 4 + add on plate - 8x each arm

setting 5 - 2 sets of 8x each arm

Lat Pulldowns

160 - 8x

170 - 2 sets of 8x

Barbell Rows

225 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

Rear Laterals

25 lb DBs - 3 sets of 8x

Need good rest tonight. Long gym session tomorrow. Hitting pinch and left hand grippers plus some more accessories.

Just finished today's training but I'll log it all later because I'm exhausted right now. The highlights today were one hand flask pinch PRs for both my left and right hand. Left hand got 88.5 lbs and right got 83.5 lbs. A buddy of mine told me he did 10 lbs more on his flask than mine because mine feels slick which is a good thing. I like training on harder equipment.

here is the left hand lift:

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

fell behind in the log again because this weekend was pretty busy. I'll just go over the highlights:

Saturday

- Trained pinch and left hand grippers. As mentioned above I hit a PR both left (88.5 lbs) and right (83.5 lbs) hand on the flask. Pretty happy about that since I want to be in the mid 90s for the comp in July. I started to incorporate holds for time at the end of my normal singles, doubles and triples just like I did for the crusher the previous week.

- For left grippers I worked up to a couple of closes on my 176 MM3 replica. Having a tough time getting past this gripper lefty. I think the problem is balancing the crusher work since I'm using my left on the crusher for the comp and I'm training it hard. It is always so tough balancing thick bar and grippers. I'll breakthrough though. I moved my block set work in front of my negatives. I plan on doing this for right hand grippers this weekend also. Now is the time to prioritize the block set work so its completely automatic come comp day and to build my strength in that range of motion.

Sunday

I had a family party which took up the entire day since they live 1.5 hrs away. When I got home at night I did some wrist work. Front Levering, rear levering, sup/pron with my 6lb sledge. I also threw in some extensor work and dynamic pinch with the thumbscrews.

• Like 1

Tonight's training:

Incline Smith Machine Bench Press

225 lbs - 5x

255 lbs - 3x

285 lbs - 4x + 1 assisted. Got caught half way up on the 5th so my buddy put his finger tips on the bar. He said he barely did anything but he still touched it. 

Bench Press

190 lbs - 8x

210 lbs - 8x

230 lbs - 8x

Smith Machine Squats

295 lbs - 5x

330 lbs - 3x

365 lbs - 3x

• Like 1

Short session tonight but a great one:

Deadlifts

315 lbs - 5x

355 lbs - 3x

400 lbs - 6x. I probably could have gutted out 1 more also but I decided not too push too hard tonight. Really really happy with this. To put this in perspective my all time best was 405 and that was many years ago before all the leg and ankle problems. I was young and didn't train it much back then either. So freaking happy that my knees and ankles are finally healthy! 500 is going down this year!

155 lbs - 5x

175 lbs - 3x

195 lbs - 1x

the weight on these is starting to catch up with me. Just happy to get the minimum reps right now. Hopefully I can keep getting the minimum reps for at least one more cycle. Once I fail, I'll retest my training max.

Tomorrow is a day off. We are having people over for Passover (my girl is half Jewish). On Saturday I attempt my 198 Grand Elite. I oiled it the other night since I haven't used it in a long time. I plan on going to my work gym to make the attempt since it's empty on the weekends and I want to give maximum effort. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Congrats buddy! Told you the ankle stuff won't hold you back. Many years of PR's ahead. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shoggoth said:

Congrats buddy! Told you the ankle stuff won't hold you back. Many years of PR's ahead. 

Thanks buddy. I actually talked to the CFO of my company today and his son had the same ankle problems as me. He had the super invasive surgery they wanted to perform on me. Just feel so lucky that I cancelled that surgery a week before and found a better way. The recovery was long and hard but totally worth it. My ankle is stronger than ever.

• Like 1

Great Session today. I attempted my 198 lb RGC Grand Elite. I'm too tired to log but here is a picture of my best attempt. It might have been closed but my hand was all over the place so the picture angle stinks and I used my phone so the quality stinks. Next time I attempt it I will used my HD camcorder and have some video for me. Still happy with the progress though:

Snapshot 1 (4-15-2017 7-43 PM).png

• Like 2

Time to catch up on the log. I'm behind again. I wasn't feeling great at the start of the week. 

Tuesday 4/18/17

Went to the gym with my girl. She wants me to teach her weight training so shes going to come with me some days until she feels comfortable on her own. I normally like to take a decent amount of rest in between sets since I'm training for strength, but I had to move quickly since I had to teach her and set her up on exercises on top of getting my own work in. This made it tough. I'm not use to moving this fast.

Smith Machine Squats

265 lbs - 5x

300 lbs - 5x

340 lbs - 5x. This is the smith machine at the gym near my home and I absolutely hate it. The pins are so dam far apart that you either have to be short or a giant to use them comfortably. I always wondered the ideal height for the pins I have to use and now I know since it was perfect for my girl (she around 5'7"). but I'm around 6'2" so I have to squat uncomfortably low to get under the bar and this makes it hard for me to get into ideal position. I have to do a partial rep and try to readjust with my legs locked out. I just got the min reps. Oh well. 

Bench Press

195 lbs - 5x

225 lbs - 5x

255 lbs - 5x. I haven't done flat bench as my first chest movement in a while so I was curious how the shoulder would hold up. No shoulder issues but I got a really cruddy spot which threw off my rhythm. Due to a miscommunication the guy thought I was only going for one rep so he kept his hand on the bar during the first rep and messed me up. oh well. 

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

80 lb DBs - 10x

85 lb DBs - 8x

85 lb DBs - 5x

Lat Pulldowns

3 sets of 10 reps. Don't remember the weight. We used a different fancy version because the normal one was being used and we were moving fast at the end of the workout. 

Thursday 4/20

Deadlifts

280 lbs - 5x

325 lbs - 5x

365 lbs - 9x. Really happy with this. This weight is 10 lbs more than last month for my "light week" and I was able to bang out the same number of reps. Loving the progress on deadlifts. 

135 lbs - 5x

160 lbs - 5x

180 lbs - 5x. Really happy to get that. At the point with these that I'm grinding to get the min reps. This is getting heavy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Geralt said:

Strong presses boy 

Thanks Geralt. Its funny. My upper body use to always outshine my lower body. Now that my ankle is healthy its starting to reverse. 

• Like 1

This Weekends Training:

4/22/17

Straight Bar Tricep Press downs

90 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Lying Hamstring Curls

155 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

Flask One Hand Pinch

Left Hand

86 lbs - 3 singles

76 lbs - 3 doubles

66 lbs - 3 triples

Right Hand

81 lbs - 1x

76 lbs - 2 singles

66 lbs - 3 doubles

56 lbs - 3 triples

Flask One Hand Pinch Lifts and Holds

Right Hand 

66 lbs - 3 lifts + hold as long as possible

Left Hand

66 lbs - 2 lifts + hold as long as possible. Skin on my left thumb was too beat up to do the third. 

One Hand Cable Rows with 2" pinch Block

20 lbs - 3 sets of 10 reps each hand

Dynamic One Hand Pinch Thumb Screws

5 sets of 15x each hand

4/23/17

Light Squats for 3 sets just to wake up the CNS

Left Hand MMS Grippers

176 lb MM3 - 2 singles

172 lb COC #3.5 - 2 singles

160 lb MM1 - 3 doubles

149 COC #3 - 3 triples

- singles the same but the doubles and triples felt very strong. 

Left Hand Grippers 30mm Block Set

153 lb COC #3 - 4 singles

149 lb COC #3 - 1 single

- these felt strong also. 

Left Hand RBA Negatives

7-6 Setting Hard Spring - 5 Negatives with 5 second holds

Double Hand Strict Plate Wrist Curls

35 lb Plate - 3 sets of 10x. these are Feeling easier. 

Single Hand Strict Reverse Wrist Curls

10 lb Plate - 3 sets of 15 x each hand

Preacher Curls

70 lbs - 10x

80 lbs - 10x

90 lbs - 10x

Wide Grip Cable Rows

140 lbs - 10x

170 lbs - 10x

190 lbs - 10x

Seated Calf Raise

90 lbs - 4 sets of 15x

Ab Machine

155 lbs - 3 sets of 20x

Straight Leg Calf Raises on Machine Leg Press

320 lbs - 4 sets of 25x

Extensors

IM Red + Gold Band - 5 sets of 30x

- I'm leaving for Vacation this upcoming Saturday. Plan on attempting my older model COC #4 this Thursday before I leave. Should be fun. No idea what it rates at but I would guess on the lower range for #4s like the ones I closed back in 2014 since I gave it a light TNS squeeze when I first bought several months back but just playing around cold. Guess I'll find out.  The cruise ship has a great gym so I plan on continuing to lift on vacation but lighter more body building type workouts to take a deload so I came back refreshed to kill it for 2 months before the comp.  

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

It's so pretty.....

IMG_0245.JPG

• Like 2

I've got a few nice paperweights here too :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Anthony C. said:

Get a room.

I did oil it and place it on my night stand.......I took my time oiling it......😳

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Quick session last night:

Bench Press

210 lbs - 3x

240 lbs - 3x

270 lbs - 3x + 1 assisted rep. Spotter put his finger tips on the 4th rep to get me past the sticking point.

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

80 DBs - 10x

85 lb DBs - 2 sets of 10x. These felt much better than last time.

Standing Overhear Barbell Press

135 lbs - 3 sets of 10x. Don't normally do these after two other press movements so I went light.

Edited by Chez

I woke up early and I have been staying late at work all week so I was definitely tired tonight but I gave the vintage #4 a shot tonight and put a decent move on it but couldn't close it. Here is a still of the attempt:

coc 4 (4-27-2017 11-00 PM).png

The handles have a sharp edge so it took some skin off my palm and pinky finger. Right after I attempt my 198 lb GE and missed by a hair:

GE(4-27-2017 11-15 PM).png

Based on this comparison I would say the vintage #4 is right over 200 lbs RGC. Definitely didn't feel my best tonight and gym was packed. When I get back from vacation I'm going to concentrate on closing the GE constantly and eventually getting a few singles.  

Edited by Chez
  • Like 6

Great attempts dude, very impressive! Seems like you are approaching your previous strength level, must feel awesome to be knocking on #4's door.

• Like 1