Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

So I'm pretty new to this site but I decided to start a training log for extra motivation. I closed the #3 with a parallel set a couple years ago but just stopped training. I'm getting back into it with the goal of certifying on the #3 within in the year and I would also like to make a run at the mash monster ladder. I closed the #2.5 the first time I tried heavy duty grippers and within a couple of months closed the #3. 2 nights ago I was close to closing the #3 again after my training session. I will be posting my training routine here. I respect the knowledge of everyone on this site since some of the best grip guys are members. Please respond with your critic of my routine and let me know if there is anything else I should try to in order to reach my goal. I just order my first new gripper in years (the RB240) which I hope will help me close the gap between the 2.5 and 3. I also have a BBM 5/8" and BBGM on the way to mix things up. I will probably start posting as soon as the RB 240 comes in.

Edited by Cannon
title edited per member request
  • Like 1

Well, let me do the kick off then. Good luck chap! Hope you can focus and get it done! I've been struggling a lot with this goal.

Hope to see good results here. there's a lot of info to be found here.

all the best.

Thanks for the encouragement Geralt. Good luck to you as well. Hopefully we can both cert soon.

Let's hope so! At least to pull off one close this year, then we'll know we can do it huh hahaha

I'm focussing now on working with my adjustable gripper (Vulcan) and working solely on MMS, singles, max reps of 5, overcrushing around #2.5 level, maybe some straphold work once a week and the other week some negative work. I'll have to figure that one out. I'm training 2 or 3 times week. Got some advice from WAM, who posted a CCS and TNS close of the #3 on the board. Guess he's right, I was throwing the kitchensink into pulling this one off with all techniques available. Just trained to heavy and I wasn't making progress.

We'll see. It's not a race but still. Made myself a promise!

Cheers!

First training session for the log. I just got my brand new chrome RB 240 so I decided to break it in. I'm really impressed with RBs. This is a great looking gripper.

Right hand

Warm up sets:

COC #1 – 1 set of 3 reps

COC #2- 2 sets of 3 reps

Working Sets:

chrome RB 240 - I will admit that I couldn't wait and actually closed it once when I first got it in the mail box but then quickly put it down to wait for the workout. Closed it with no problems for 2 sets of 2 reps

COC #3 with a hose clamp but still beyond parallel. This is my first time training with a hose clamp - closed for 2 sets of 1 rep. It was a nice mental boost to see myself closing the #3 again even if it was with a hose clamp.

COC #3 with a hose clamp again - I got a little cocky after doing the last 2 sets so easy so I loosened the clamp even further beyond parallel - just missed 2 sets of 1 rep. oh well

COC #3 with a hose clamp again - Decided to move it back in a little. closed 2 sets of 1 rep.

chrome RB 240 - 1 single close. The knurling on this gripper is very sharp. hands started getting beat up a little at this point.

COC #2.5 - 1 rep and then held as long as I could hold it. didn't time it but just focused on taking the pain.

chrome RB 240 - 1 single close again.

COC #2.5 - 1 rep and then held as long as I could hold it again.

COC #2 - 1 set of 10 reps and then held closed on the last rep.

COC #2 - 1 set of 6 reps and then I tried to hold it closed on the last rep but my hand was fried. Decided to call it a night.

Left Hand

My left hand it a lot weaker because I didn't focus on it in the past but I plain on changing that. I alternated higher reps with the COC #1 and singles with the COC #2.

Well that's it for the night. probably hit it again in 3 days. I did some manual labor during the day so I didn't want to over do it.

Saturday's training posted a little late:

Warm Ups:

COC #1 = 1 set of 3 reps

COC #2 = 1 set of 3 reps

Working sets:

COC #3 attempt = came close but couldn't get that last little bit.

COC #2.5 = 2 clean reps and then barely missing the 3rd

RB240 = 2 reps

COC #2.5 = 2 reps

COC #2 = 2 sets of 10 reps

RB240 = 1 rep

COC #2 = 8 reps

COC #2 = 7 reps

IMTUG #4 = bottom 2 fingers 3 sets of 10 reps

IMTUG #5 = Top 2 fingers 3 sets of 10 reps

COC #2 = 5 reps

A little late again lol. Tuesday nights training session:

Warm Ups:

COC #1 = 1 set of 3 reps

COC #2 = 1 set of 3 reps

Working Sets:

COC #2.5 = 1 set of 3 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 set of 4 reps - pretty happy about this. I use to do more when I closed the #3 but this is a new high since I started training again.

RB240 = 1 set of 2 reps - This gripper is great but really beats up my hand

COC #2 = 2 sets of 10 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 reps - I meant to do another set with the COC 2 and I was like "wow the number 2 is really hard all of sudden" haha.

COC #2 = 1 set of 10 reps. - this was the set I was suppose to do before.

IMTUG #4 = 3 sets of 10 reps on the bottom 2 fingers

IMTUG #5 = 3 sets of 10 reps on the top 2 fingers

Attempted the RB240 and COC #2.5 = I new the workout was done when I missed both. My hand is done

Note - My birthday is tomorrow. I'm getting 2 new grippers and I ordered a vulcan from diesel crew's website. Really excited about that. Time to take grip training to the next level. I have also been weight lifting for around 9 years now but I just started focusing on cardio more and I lost 15 lbs.

Vulcan is cool! You'll like it. What kind of reps do you do? MMS? and congratulations (in front hahaha)

Edited by Geralt

Thanks Geralt. I usually do pretty wide reps, wider than Parallel. I set the gripper just enough for many fingers to wrap around. Hope your training is going well.

Training is going well, although I had to reset my training. Had a lot going on in private life recently and that really took the focus off my training.

But since I decided to leave some things behind me I'm now onto a new trainingperiod. More focused. Although sometimes bothered by (light) injuries.

I figure 2011 is not one of my best years haha! Well that's life. For training you need to have a relaxed and clear mind, I found out.

Oh and i'm going to incorporate my gripmachine in training. There's a photo under my tools in my signature. I had it custom made for me.

Edited by Geralt

So I got a Beef Builder Grand Master and Beef Builder Master 5/8" handle for my birthday from my girlfriend. Time to bust these out in training.

Warm Ups:

COC #1 = 1 set of 3 reps

COC #2 = 1 set of 3 reps

Working Sets:

BBGM = 2 sets of 1 rep

RB240 = 1 set of 3 reps - new PR on this gripper.

Time to do a little volume work:

BBM with 5/8" handles = 3 sets of 10 reps

IMTUG #4 = 3 sets of 10 reps on the bottom 2 fingers

IMTUG #5 = 3 sets of 10 reps on the top 2 fingers - these are little easy but I'm kind of between the 5 and 6 for 10 reps sets.

BBM with 5/8" handles = 1 set of 10 reps

Still waiting for my vulcan and then I'm going to hold off on new toys since the vulcan is adjustable.

Played some basketball tonight. The weight I have lost really helps on the court.

Tonight's Grip training:

Right Hand:

Warm Ups:

COC #1 = 1 set of 3 reps

COC #2 = 1 set of 3 reps

Working Sets:

Decided to do more singles tonight and hold the close as long as possible.

Beef Builder Grand Master = 1 set of 1 rep - This is a pretty tough gripper. Although I haven't calibrated any on my grippers, I feel its a hard BBGM from reading what most people rate it at.

RB240 chrome = 6 sets of 1 rep = This is the best looking gripper I own.

COC #2.5 = 3 sets of 1 rep.

Volume work:

Beef Builder Master with 5/8 inch handles = 2 sets of 10 reps

COC #2 = 1 set of 7 reps

IMTUG #5 = 3 sets of 10 reps with top 2 fingers

IMTUG #4 = 3 sets of 10 reps with bottom 2 fingers

Left Hand: I have posted much left hand training because I was waiting for my left hand to get stronger but I figure posting it will motive me to work harder on bringing up my left.

Warm ups:

COC #1 - 3 sets of 10 reps

Working Sets:

Beef Builder Master with 5/8 inch handles = 2 sets of 1 rep

Beef Builder Master with 5/8 inch handles = 3 sets of 4 reps

COC #2 = 3 sets of 1 rep and then hold as long as I can each time

IMTUG #5 = 3 sets of 15 reps with top 2 fingers

IMTUG #4 = 3 sets of 15 reps with bottom 2 fingers

- felt pretty good tonight. still making progress. Got an email yesterday that my vulcan is on it way.

Messed around with the vulcan tonight.

Not going to post the levels because I spent more time getting use to the tool then training. The spread is massive at over 3.5 inches and the handles are very smooth. Setting the gripper is very hard and actually a little frustrating. I know it takes practice to get use to but I don't see the real benefit of making the set so difficult for torsion spring training. Torsion spring grippers are much easier to set. I loose so much energy setting the vulcan that it effects my crushing power and the handles slide around in my hand. Wish the gap was 3/4 of an inch smaller and it had some knurling. oh well, I'm sure it will get easier with time.

Back to grip training. Had a family party today and couldn't wait to get home to train.

Right Hand:

Warm ups:

COC #1 = 1 set of 5 reps

Beef Builder Master 5/8" = 1 set of 3 reps

Working sets:

Beef Builder Grand Master = 4 sets of 1 rep. The first 3 closes were very solid and I held them. definately the best I have ever closed this gripper. The 4th was closed as well but I had to work for it. Pretty happy about this. I can tell I'm getting stonger.

RB240 = 1 set of 2 reps, 1 set of 3 reps - missed the 3rd by a little, 1 set of 1 rep - got a bad set on the gripper, 1 set of 2 reps.

COC #2 - decided to do some ccs closes to practice for the cert with this gripper since my hand was now fatigued.

set 1 - 3 CCS reps - these are so much harder. My hands measure 8 inches from the first crease in the wrist to the top of the middle finger. Probably about average for my height (6'1.5"). Gott practice sets like this if I wanna cert.

set 2 - 3 CCS reps - missed the third by a little.

set 3 - 2 ccs reps - missed the second by a little. Hand is getting tired.

Volume Work:

Beef Builder Master 5/8" = 3 sets of 10 reps

Left Hand: - gotta bring this hand up

Warm ups:

COC #1 - 1 set of 10 reps

Working sets:

Beef Builder Master 5/8" = 1 set of 5 reps followed by 2 sets of 7 reps.

COC#2 = 2 sets of 1 rep CCS

Beef Builder Master 5/8" = 1 set of 1 rep CCS

COC #2 = 2 sets of 1 rep CCS

BBM 5/8" = 1 set of 1 rep CCS

Volume:

COC #1 = 3 sets of 10 reps

Note - Felt good tonight. Going to mix things up next time. Maybe try the coc #2.5 CCS, do some negatives and maybe try strap holds for the first time.

GREAT TRAINING NIGHT!:

Right Hand:

Warm ups:

Coc #1 = 1 set of 5 reps

Coc #2 = 1 set of 3 reps

Working sets:

COC #3 = 4 sets of 1 rep - The first 3 were solid closes with a parallel set!!!!! first time I have closed the #3 since I started training again. These were my best closes also. I shut the gripper with authority. I actually checked to make sure it wasn't the 2.5 lol. I missed the 4th attempt by a little. wasn't a lot of energy on the first 3 since I also held them.

COC #2.5 - 2 sets of 1 rep CCS - I missed the first one by a little because my hand was tired and I had a bad set. 2nd closed after I regrouped

BBGM = 1 set of 1 rep - missed by a little bit, dam the #3 zapped all my strength.

RB240 = 1 set of 1 rep - good close

COC #2 = 2 sets of 3 reps CCS and then 1 set of 2 reps CCS

Volume work:

BBM 5/8" = 3 sets of 10 reps

COC #2 = 1 set of 2 reps - gotta call it quits now because I tore some skin on my pinky.

Left Hand:

Warm ups:

COC #1 = 1 set of 10 reps

Working sets:

BBM 5/8" = 3 sets of 7 reps

COC #2 = 1 set of 2 reps CCS - I missed the 2nd rep by a little bit.

COC #2 = 3 sets of 1 rep CCS

Volume:

BBM 5/8" 2 sets of 6 reps and 1 set of 5 reps.

COC #1 = 1 set of 10 reps.

Note: pretty happy about tonight. I'm going to try to get the #3 close on video next workout for the MM0 cert. hopefully I can do it again soon.

Thanks Six Barrel, hopefully I can CCS close it in a couple months.

Today's training:

Right Hand:

Warm ups:

COC #1= 1 set of 3 reps

COC #2 = 1 set of 3 reps

COC#1 = 1 set of 3 reps

Working sets:

COC #3 = I wanted to get a close on video for the MM0 cert but I messed up the video every time. I must of closed the #3 4 times trying to get it on video and my hand got tired so I called it quits and moved on in the workout. This will have to wait to next time.

RB240 = 2 sets of 1 rep

COC #2 = 2 sets of 1 rep straphold with 3 lbs. I didn't time the hold, but just held as long as I could. This is an intense training technique. Definitely going to do it more in the future.

I decided to give my skin a break and switch to the vulcan:

Vulcan v2 = 1 set of 10 reps on level 4, 1 sets of 10 reps on level 6, 1 set of 3 reps on level 9, level 10 attempt - missed, 1 set of 5 reps on level 8, 1 set of 1 rep on level 9, 1 set of 3 reps on level 9, 1 set of 1 rep on level 10. Note: I went out and bought textured tape for the handles but decided to take it off. The smooth handles will be a nice change from torsion spring grippers. I am still getting use to this piece of equipment.

Left Hand:

Warm ups:

Working sets:

COC #2.5 = 1 set of 1 rep - This is personal best with my left hand since I started training again.

COC #2 = 1 set of 3 reps CCS, followed by 2 sets of 2 reps CCS.

Vullcan v2 = 1 set of 10 reps on level 3, 1 set of 7 reps on level 5, 1 set of 3 reps on level 7, 1 set of 5 reps on level 8, 1 set of 3 reps on level 9, 1 set of 1 rep on level 9.

Great training session tonight using only my Vulcan v2 with the dipped black spring:

Right Hand:

Warm Ups:

Level 3 = 1 set of 10 reps

Working sets:

Started by doing 1 rep sets and increasing the resistance each time.

Level 8 = 1 rep

Level 9 = 1 rep

Level 10 = 1 rep

Level 11= 1 rep

Level 12 = 1 rep

Level 13 = 1 rep - I haven't worked much with the vulcan and never with my hand fresh so this is a new PR.

Level 14 = 1 rep - updated PR :). finally getting the hang of this thing. set is still tough but feeling more comfortable.

Level 15 = 3 tries and I missed all 3 but got closer each time. The last try was about 1/2 inch away.

Level 14 + 1 rubber band on highest notch= missed. Hand is fried.

2 rep sets while increasing the resistance each times:

Level 8 = 2 reps

Level 9 = 2 reps

Level 10 = 2 reps

Level 11 = 2 reps

Level 12 = first rep good and then missed the 2nd by a little bit. forced the second rep closed.

Level 12 = 2 reps :). came back and got it this time.

Decided to end with strapholds:

Level 8 = straphold 3 times for as long as I could hold it.

Left Hand:

Warm ups:

Level 3 = 1 set of 10 reps

Working Sets:

1 rep sets:

Level 8 = 1 rep

Level 9 = 1 rep

Level 10 = missed 3 attempts. The set feels very awkward with my other hand. I'm going to need to practice. Big difference than the right hand.

Level 9 = 1 rep.

Level 9 + 1 rubber band on the highest notch = 1 rep 5 times.

2 rep sets:

Level 6 = 2 reps

Level 7= 2 reps

Level 8 = 2 reps

Level 9 = 2 reps

Level 9 = 2 reps

Level 9 + 1 rubber band = missed. couldn't even do the first rep. hand is tired.

Level 7 = Straphold for as long as I could.

Level 7 = tried to a straphold again but I couldn't hold it. hand is crazy fatigued.

Level 6 = straphold 2 times.

Note: really starting to like the vulcan. My hands don't get as chopped up. I think I'm going to do one vulcan workout and one torsion spring gripper workout each week. I also picked up the GNC advanced pack of grippers. Really good value for 20 bucks. I can close the 200 and 250 but just missed the 300. My hand was fatigued from training so maybe I can get the 300 my next workout.

Good work! Did you read the choking article and did you have some help with that? I figure the V2 also is good for that method.

It really can help! Level 13 and tired? Choke it and try level 14...also easy for strapholds...you can focus on the closing part.

Very strong gripper work Chez! Nice to see you closing the #3 again. Looks like you had a heck of a strong start though - able to close the #2.5 on the first try?!?

Thanks guys.

Ben - I subscribe to your youtube page. You're a beast with grippers.

Geralt - I actually closed level 14 pretty easily, but missed level 15 so I will try the choker on that level. I also didn't completely rest in between workouts. I mess around on my off days with grippers so I wasn't completely fresh. These things are very addicting. I went to the page you gave me the link to but I needed to sign in and I'm having trouble with that. I signed up for david horne's site at the same time as this site but Horne never sent me a confirmation email. I'll have to try again because I would like to do choker work with the V2. Whats the spread on the V1? The spread on the V2 is like 3.6 inches. The V1's spread looks smaller from the videos I have seen.

Just measured my Vulcan, it's exactly 8 cm's between both innerside handles.

So that's 3,1496063 inches hahaha although, that's what google says. So even on the easiest level, a TNS with my Vulcan

pretty much is a challenge for me.

Forgot you and the rest of the world uses the metric system haha. Knew the V1 had a smaller spread. Wonder why Horne made it bigger. I can only do a TNS on it with the orange spring.

Another awesome gripper workout today with my torsion spring grippers. I just started my second year of law school yesterday, but I'm more excited about grip training haha.

Right Hand:

Warms ups:

My standard warm ups

COC #1 = 1 set of 5 reps

COC #2 = 1 set of 3 reps

Working sets:

I thought about what to do today and decided to lower the volume and do lower rep sets. I have been weight lifting for 9 years and follow more of a body builder routine but this about closing bigger grippers so I decided to think more like a power lifter. I line up all my grippers (I own 10 torsion spring grippers now) in order of how hard they feel because I decided to start the workout with 10 max attempts. I did a single close with a parellel set on my hardest gripper for as many sets as possible before or perceived future failure. and then moved down to my next hardest gripper until I failed on that one and so on........ Until I did 10 total single closes:

set Gripper result

1 COC #3 Solid easy rep. starting get really comfortable on my #3 :mosher

2 GNC300 Good rep. I bought the advanced GNC gripper pack a couple of days ago for 20 bucks. great deal. I closed the 200 and 250 the first day without any chalk but just missed

the 300 by a little because my hands were beat up from training. This time it went down. This gripper actually feels harder than my #3. Gotta change my ranking order.

3 COC #3 Good rep but I had to work harder for it. It seems I got 3 or 4 max strength attempts before fatigue catches up.

4 COC #4 Just failed. close but couldn't get that last little bit.

5 BBGM Solid rep.

6 BBGM Just failed. close but no cigar.

7 RB240 Easy dominating rep.

8 RB240 another easy rep

9 RB240 another easy rep

10 RB240 Good rep but harder this time.

Decided to move on CCS sets. I picked my GNC 200 for my right hand and this gripper feels harder than my COC #2. The spread on the GNC 200 is only slightly wider than a credit card though so I chose to do no set closes instead since its not a huge difference:

set gripper result

1 GNC 200 2 solid no set reps and I just missed on a third no set.

2 GNC 200 2 no set reps

3 GNC 200 2 no set reps but barely

4 GNC 200 2 no set reps and just missed a third. I pumped myself up a little for this set.

5 GNC 200 2 no set reps and just missed a third.

That's it for the right hand. on to the left

Left Hand

Warm ups:

Working sets:

Followed the same plan as the right hand above

Max attempts:

set Gripper result

1 COC #2.5 Good rep but I had to work for it.

2 COC #2.5 Another good rep but hard work.

3 COC #2.5 I think I just got it.

4 GNC 250 Just failed. The 2.5 zapped my strength.

5 GNC 200 Good rep

6 GNC 200 Good rep

7 GNC 200 Good rep

8 COC #2 Easy rep. The GNC 200 feels harder

9 GNC 200 Good rep

10 GNC 200 I think i just missed this time.

CCS sets:

set Gripper Result

1 BBM 5/8" handles 2 good CCS reps

2 COC #2 Just failed 1 rep. This gripper is harder than my BBM 5/8"

3 BBM 5/8" handles 1 good CCS rep but just missed a second one.

4 BBM 5/8" handles 1 good CCS rep but just missed a second one.

5 BBM 5/8" handles 1 good CCS rep but just missed a second one.

Note: I really like this workout format and I might do it again in a couple days with the vulcan v2. Then I'll think of something else to keep mixing it up. I really enjoy gripper training but once I reach some goals I plan on training other aspects of grip as well.

• Like 2