Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

Wow, Santa was good to you. Solid late night workout. Haha. Quick question about your blob. I am going to order one tomorrow. Paint or no paint? What are your thoughts.

Thanks man,

Sean

(null)

Cool man. You are going to like it a lot. I would go with no paint. I like making things as hard as possible during training so I'm prepared when it comes time for a contest or a cert.

I thought painted blobs are way tougher due to chalk not holding well. I know my blob was a repainted one (by previous owner) and it's the slickest blob I've ever touched. But as Chez said, it makes others feel like toys. But then again my fatman has little to no paint and is slick too, but that's due to zero texture. I think it was once sanded down to remove the paint.

I thought painted blobs are way tougher due to chalk not holding well. I know my blob was a repainted one (by previous owner) and it's the slickest blob I've ever touched. But as Chez said, it makes others feel like toys. But then again my fatman has little to no paint and is slick too, but that's due to zero texture. I think it was once sanded down to remove the paint.

I thought I heard someone say that the bare metal ones season better. I'm not sure what that means, but maybe someone can clarify or explain..

I went with a bare metal, btw. I am pretty stoked!

I could be wrong about the unpainted version being more difficult. I was going by the fact that the paint listed on the strongergrip.com site is listed as "textured paint" instead of a glossy finish. I thought it would improve the grip on the blob and lead to higher numbers. The vulcan is painted is super slick and doesn't take chalk well at all. So it could depend on what kind of paint is on the blob. Daniel is one of best when it comes to blobs so he definitely knows a lot more than me.

Edited by Chez

Ah, yeah I didn't see it was textered paint. That may help instead of just plain paint which is slick.

iamsean11, you are correct. Bare metal will begin to hold chalk better over time and will start to feel "stickier". The painted blob I have is finally starting to hold chalk after almost a year of use, and it still doesn't feel as positive as other bare blobs do. I say good choice on the unpainted model. It will feel better in the hand. And in time if you want a challenge paint it! It's a training tool so make up the challenge to suit you. You can always strip it back down if you change your mind. I know people that go through phases of bare or painted. Don't be hung on which one is preferred, just make it the right tool for what you want.

Chez, let us know what you do with the fatgripz and what you think. I've been finally using the set I have on anything that will fit it. I have no conclusion yet but I think they are working. It being bigger than 2" it sure makes axles feel tiny. I've hardly used the axle and did max reps last week with great results. This week is max weight attempt and then I should know how much fatgripz have helped. The week after I'll try max Rolling Thunder to see if there is carryover there too.

Will do Daniel. I'm probably going to use the fat gripz for the first time for DO deadlifts tomorrow. I haven't done them in a while and really need to bring up my max. Congrats on the reps with over 300. Very impressive. I have driven for around 5 hrs each of the last two days so I'm beat. I took my girl to Atlantic city for her B day. I came home and found the RB 330N that I bought from a member on the board. I had to do a TSG workout and test it out.

Right Hand

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 CCS reps

COC #2 = 3 CCS reps

COC #2.5 = 1 CCS rep

Working Sets

1) COC #3 CCS attempt = dammit, still can't get that little bit at the end. My energy is real low so I didn't have much fight in me tonight. It will come.

2) COC #3 = 3 parallel reps

3) COC #3 = 1 parallel rep. I just don't have the energy for reps tonight. The rest of the workout is going to be singles.

4) RB 330N = 1 parallel rep. See the video below for this close. The spring on this gripper is massive but the narrow spread makes the set very easy.

5) RB 330N = 1 Parallel rep, just missed a second.

6) RB 330N = 1 parallel rep

7) RB 330N = 1 parallel rep

8) MM1 = 1 parallel rep

9) RB 330N = just missed a parallel rep

10) MM1 replica = just missed a parallel rep

11) COC #3 = just missed a parallel rep. dam, obviously I'm freaking tired :(

12) COC #2.5 = 5 parallel reps

Left Hand

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 CCS reps

COC #2 = 3 CCS reps

Working

1) BBGM = 1 parallel rep

2) RB 240 = 1 parallel rep

3) RB 240 = 2 parallel reps

4) RB 240 = 1 parallel rep

5) RB 240 = 1 parallel rep

6) RB 240 = just missed a parallel rep

7) COC #2.5 = 1 parallel rep

8) COC #2.5 = 1 parallel rep

9) COC #2.5 = 1 parallel rep

10) COC #2 = 6 parallel reps

Here is a picture of the RB 330N that I just got:

RB 330N

Here is a video of a RB 330N MMS close:

Tomorrow I hit DO deadlift with my new fat gripz.

Isn't it weird Cesare, I know you have the strength to close grippers harder than that damn #3 and still CCS is a struggle. I have the same.

It will come. You'll get it!

Yep, I think part of it is mental. If it was easy then more people would be certified on the #3. A brand new year starts soon and I'm ready to do some damage and hit new PRs. Today I did some fat bar and pinch work.

DO deadlift with Fat Gripz

Warm up

114 lbs = 8 reps

164 lbs = 3 reps

Working

Singles

1) 220lbs = Good lift

2) 260 lbs = Good lift

3) 275 lbs = half way up.

4) 270 lbs = half way up

Reps

1) 220 lbs = 5 reps

2) 230 lbs = 3 reps

3) 235 lbs = 3 reps

Note - liking the fat gripz a lot. They are harder to use for this exercise than the PVC pipe I have been using which is slightly under 2 inches in diameter. The fat gripz are about 2.25 inches in diameter and they are little loose on my bar so I have to squeeze them to keep them in place on the bar. It just makes the movement tougher and I like that. Going to make a 2 inch axle in competition feel much easier. Going to do more reps next time and try to hit 300 by the end of January.

1 HP on the Vulcan thumbscrews

Right Hand

2 Red IM bands on top notches = 10 reps for 10 sets

Left Hand

2 Red IM bands on top notches = 10 reps for 3 sets

2 Red and 1 White IM bands on top notches = 10 reps for 7 sets.

Hope everyone had a good new years. I woke up with a slight pain in my left arm this morning but, I decided to use my Vulcan V2 for a crush workout for the first time in a while. I noticed that my CCS was a lot better when I was incorporating the vulcan into my workouts.

L = Level, G = Good, F = failed

Vulcan V2

warm up

L 3 = 5 reps

L 6 = 3 reps

L 9 = 2 reps

Working

Singles

L 10 = G

L 11 = G

L 12 = G

L 13 = G

L 14 = G

L 15 = G. ties my PR which isn't bad since I'm out of pracice with this thing.

L 16 = F. The set is so much hard at this level.

L 16 = F

Doubles

L 10 = G

L 11 = G

L 12 = G

L 13 = G

L 14 = G

L 15 = F

Triples

L 10 = G

L 11 = G

L 12 = G

L 13 = G

Negative holds

L 14 = close and held as long as possible

L 13 = Close and held as long as possible

L 12 = Close and held as long as pissible.

Left hand

Warm up

L 3 = 5 reps

L 6 = 3 reps

L 9 = 2 reps

Working

Singles

L 10 = G

L 11 = G

L 12 = G

L 13 = G

L 14 = G

L 15 = F

Doubles

L 9 = G

L 10 = G

L 11 = G

L 12 = G

L 13 = F

Triples

L 8 = G

L 9 = G

L 10 = G

L 11 = G

L 12 = F

Negative holds

L 11 = close and hold as long as possible

L 12 = close and hold as long as possible

L 11 = Close and hold as long as possible

Cool workout. I've never used one so I am not super familiar with the numbers, but seems like impressive. Where did you order your vulcan from?

Hey Sean. The vulcan was created by David Horne who lives in the UK. I got mine from Jedd Johnson who bought a batch of them and sold them on his diesel crew site. You can by them directly from David's site but right now they are out of stock. Check these pages out: http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/shop.html#vulcan, http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/vulcantraining.html. David even gives some rough estimates of how the levels compare to COCs on the second page. The vulcan is different than COCs though since the tension is continuous instead of torsion spring grippers which ramp up at the close. This makes the vulcan very hard to set since the tension hits you right at the start. The V2 also has a massive spread at around 3.6 inches and smooth handles that don't take chalk well. All this makes working with it difficult and makes TSGs feel easy to set. This gripper is always an event in the worlds strongest hands competition which I want to compete in this year.

Thanks Matt. I train with weights on body builder type rep scheme 3 days a week. Day 1 is Chest, tris and shoulders. Day 2 is legs. Day 3 is Back and Biceps. I play basketball for cardio. I have been training grippers 2-3 days a week for the past 3 months. Since I'm trying to do comps I'm going to be training overall grip now. Day 1 will be crush grip (grippers), Day 2 is going to be pinch and wrist strength, Day 3 is going to be supporting/open hand (thick bar mostly). This might change though as I go through it. Just a starting routine. I'm also a full time law student so I rely on lost of coffee and naps haha :)

Wow! Now that is amazing... finding time for grip, general workouts, and even law school course work?? Hats off to you my friend! Anyways, I look forward to your updates and a huge year of smashed PR's in 2012.

Cool workout with the Vulcan Chez, the step up from level 15 to 16/17 is always a big step, I know of only one calibration of Vulcan springs http://p2.foorumi.in...pic.php?p=17#17 and there you can see that the jump between those levels is quite high, for my gold spring more than

5 kg's! (65 to 71 kg's 15-16) That make level 16 and 17 a stickingpoint now for me, as the set indeed is VERY though now. I put the Vulcan between my legs

to help it assist closed for a good set haha, looks crazy I know. I've modified my Vulcan so that it easily can be choked, makes it even more versatile.

David Horne mentioned that beeing able to perform a CCS level 14-15 puts you in the right spot for IM#3 cert. Haven't been able to do that quite frankly.

Edited by Geralt

Matt - thanks for those kinds words. I drink lots of coffee and take many naps haha. I actually admire the guys on this board who have full time jobs and families but make time to train. training is something I love and helps relieve the stress from school. Good luck to you on reaching your goals. Your recent gripper videos have been very impressive.

Geralt - That set on level 16 is vicious. My left arm was hurting also for some reason which was affecting my set. I relied on crush power since the sets were very wide. The good news is that level 15 has never felt easier. I'm going to start micro loading with rubber bands to make the jump to level 16. I'll get there. I want to be able to close level 16 in this years worlds strongest hands competition which will make me competitive in that event.

Today I hit pinch training and got some nice PRs. Really happy with this.

Loadable Blob

Right Hand and Left Hand

Warm up

Some face lifts with the blob unloaded

Working

Singles

1) 16.5 lbs = Good lift Right and Left

2) 21.5 lbs = Good lift Right and Left

3) 26.5 lbs = Good lift Right and Left

4) 29 lbs = Good lift Right and Left

5) 32 lbs = Good lift Right and Left

6) 34.5 lbs = Good lift Right and Left

7) 36.5 lbs = Good lift Right and Left

8) 39 lbs = Failed. I got air both Right and Left hand but I couldn't lock out.

9) 37.75 lbs = Good Lift Right and Left. New PR! :)

10) 34 lbs = Lift and hold as long as possible right and left hand.

- Getting closer to 40 lbs on this thing. I think the vulcan pinch work is really helping.

Vulcan V2 thumbscrew pinch works

Reps

2 red IM bands on top notches = 10 reps for 5 sets both right and left hand

Negatives

2 Red, 1 Blue, 1 Green IM band on top notches = Held at 2 inches open for as long as possible for 2 sets right and left hand.

2 Red, 1 Blue IM band on top notches = Held at 2 inches open for as long as possible for 3 sets right and left hand.

Note - Going to be doing Andrew Durniat's grip comp in mid Feb so I'm going to be training hard to bring up weaknesses.

Geralt - That set on level 16 is vicious. My left arm was hurting also for some reason which was affecting my set. I relied on crush power since the sets were very wide. The good news is that level 15 has never felt easier. I'm going to start micro loading with rubber bands to make the jump to level 16. I'll get there. I want to be able to close level 16 in this years worlds strongest hands competition which will make me competitive in that event.

Yes, my setting hand was also starting to hurt in the knuckle area of my pointingfinger because of the heavy setting the Vulcan has.

Stupid thing is, I closed level 16 from deep set and can close it every time (fresh) when choked to parallel, but level 17 : pfffff! But that's climbing the ladder I suppose, no one said it was going to be easy. I still believe that mastering level 16/17 for MMS repwork wil definitely help kill that #3. I still think the Vulcan is the best trainingtool for the job with grippers, it saves a LOT of money and gets rid of the training with calibrated grippers idea for micro loading, since TSG's vary a LOT. I mean I have a #3 but only thing after that is a #3.5, jump is WAY to big, it could only help me with negatives and I can't handle those every training session.

Understood man, anyone who can train and maintain life with a career is definitely above and beyond most... tired all the time, stress... ugh.. I couldnt imagine! If you don't mind me asking, where did you get that loadable blob from?

I was a man possessed today. School starts up again Thursday and I decided to beat myself up today and get serious about training. I started the day off my going to my school gym. I shot some basketball to warm up. I then ran a mile on the indoor track. I know a mile doesn't sound like much but my cardio is crap right now and running with 250lbs body weight is tough. I ran the entire way though and didn't stop once. I then hit legs in the weight room. I did leg extensions, leg presses, leg extensions again, hamstring curls, calf raises and weighted abs. I came home and rested. This is a grip training log though so here is the grip training:

Light explosive Grippers​

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 explosive parallel reps both right and left hand

Working

BBM 5/8 inch handles = 3 CCS explosive reps for 5 sets both right and left hand.

Double Overhand Deadlifts with Fat Gripz

Warm up

114 lbs = 10 reps

164 lbs = 5 reps

Working

220 lbs = 6 reps

220 lbs = 5 reps

225 lbs = 3 reps

235 lbs = 3 reps

240 lbs = 2 reps

250 lbs = 1 rep

255 lbs = 1 rep

Lat pull down with fat gripz

- I used my universal machine for these which is in my basement workout room. It has an LCD screen and electronic motor which is very different than a weight stack machine. I bought this machine when I was an accountant. It allowed my workout late at night when I worked long busy season hours. My machine is actually harder so the poundage I can do on my machine is lower than a gym weight stack machine. Because of this the poundage won't mean a lot unless you use this particular machine. For this reason I'm not going to list the weight. The handles are wider than 1 inch so with fat gripz the handles became 2.5 inches wide since they stretch the fat gripz opening.

I did 4 sets between 10-15 reps.

Seated Rows with fat grip

- Again I used my universal machine so I'm not going to bother listing the weights.

- 4 sets between 10 - 15 reps

Note - I also drank wine during the entire grip workout which made it very enjoyable haha :). I'm having way too much fun.

Edited by Chez

What a great workout! What's the point if you're not having fun, and it sounds like it was fun! Make sure you're drinking a protein and sugar (dextrose/maltodextrin) drink right after for maximizing your efforts!

drinks and PRs baby! cheers!

Dang, you snuck right under my post! Sneaky sneaky

I was a man possessed today. School starts up again Thursday and I decided to beat myself up today and get serious about training. I started the day off my going to my school gym. I shot some basketball to warm up. I then ran a mile on the indoor track. I know a mile doesn't sound like much but my cardio is crap right now and running with 250lbs body weight is tough. I ran the entire way though and didn't stop once. I then hit legs in the weight room. I did leg extensions, leg presses, leg extensions again, hamstring curls, calf raises and weighted abs. I came home and rested. This is a grip training log though so here is the grip training:

Light explosive Grippers​

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 explosive parallel reps both right and left hand

Working

BBM 5/8 inch handles = 3 CCS explosive reps for 5 sets both right and left hand.

Double Overhand Deadlifts with Fat Gripz

Warm up

114 lbs = 10 reps

164 lbs = 5 reps

Working

220 lbs = 6 reps

220 lbs = 5 reps

225 lbs = 3 reps

235 lbs = 3 reps

240 lbs = 2 reps

250 lbs = 1 rep

255 lbs = 1 rep

Lat pull down with fat gripz

- I used my universal machine for these which is in my basement workout room. It has an LCD screen and electronic motor which is very different than a weight stack machine. I bought this machine when I was an accountant. It allowed my workout late at night when I worked long busy season hours. My machine is actually harder so the poundage I can do on my machine is lower than a gym weight stack machine. Because of this the poundage won't mean a lot unless you use this particular machine. For this reason I'm not going to list the weight. The handles are wider than 1 inch so with fat gripz the handles became 2.5 inches wide since they stretch the fat gripz opening.

I did 4 sets between 10-15 reps.

Seated Rows with fat grip

- Again I used my universal machine so I'm not going to bother listing the weights.

- 4 sets between 10 - 15 reps

Note - I also drank wine during the entire grip workout which made it very enjoyable haha :). I'm having way too much fun.

haha that is awesome... wine and workouts... thats how grip guys do! (wedding crashers reference).

Sounds like quite the universal machine if you ask me! LCD screen?? Crap that is the Cadillac of all universals

Cheers fellas. If we ever meet up at a comp, I gotta bring some of dad's home made wine. That stuff will knock you on your butt. We do all the traditional Italian stuff like have a tomato garden, make prosciutto etc.. . . I went to the gym again today and started with a run. My legs were sore from last time so I only did a little over 1/2 mile this time. Gotta ease into this running stuff. Hit some chest and tris in the gym ( DB flat press, machine press, machine fly, skull crushers, 1 arm DB extensions) and then trained grip when I got home.

Vulcan V2 crush training

Right Hand

Warm up

L 3 = 8 reps

L 6 = 3 reps

L 9 = 1 rep

Working

Singles

L 11 = G

L 12 = G

L 13 = G

L 14 = G

L 15 = F. just missed because I got a real bad set. The handle slide back in my hand

L 15 = G

L 15 + white IM band on 3rd notch = G. Gonna start micro loading with the IM bands to bridge the gap to level 16. Happy to hit level 15 twice in the same workout and 2 workouts in a row.

L 15 + white IM band on top notch = F

L 15 + white IM band on 7th notch = F, just missed

Doubles

L 10 = G

L 11 = G

L 12 = G

L 13 = G

L 14 = F

Triples

L 10 = G

L 11 = G

L 12 = G

L 13 = F

Left

warm up

L 3 = 8 reps

L 6 = 3 reps

L 9 = 1 rep

Working

Singles

L 11 = G

L 12 = G

L 13 = G

L 14 = F

L 14 = G

L 14 + white IM band on 2nd notch = F

L 14 = F

Doubles

L 10 = G

L 11 = G

L 12 = G

L 13 = F

L12 + White IM band on top = G

Triples

L 9 = G

L10 = G

L 11 = G

L 12 = F

Vulcan V2 thumbscrew pinch work

Right hand

2 Red IM bands on top = 5 sets of 10 reps

2 Red and 1 white IM band on top = 5 sets of 10 reps

Left hand

2 Red and 1 white IM band on top = 5 sets of 10 reps

2 Red and 1 Green IM band on top = 5 sets of 10 reps. This is a PR for me on this exercise.