Jump to content

Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes


Chez
 Share

Recommended Posts

I was busy Sunday with a family party for my dad's birthday, so I went to the gym last night to make up the stuff I didn't get a chance to do:

 

Leg Press Machine Calf Raises

320 lbs = 4 sets of 20x

Seated Calf Raise Machine

45 lb Plate + 25 lb plate - 4 sets of 15x

- Starting to see a difference in my calves. Gotta keep hitting them hard since I just planned my vacation at the end of April (cruise to the Caribbean).

Front Levering

12 lb bar 8" from end - 3 sets of 10x each hand. First time using this bar.

Rear Levering 

12 lb bar 8" from end - 3 sets of 10x each hand.

Supination/Pronation

Light Bar - 3 sets of 10x each hand. I was going to add weight but I totally forgot. This is too easy at this point. 

Double Hand Strict Wrist Curls (on knees, forearms on bench, both hands together)

35 lb plate - 3 sets of 8x. Really like this exercise.

Single Hand Strict Reverse Wrist Curls

10 lb plate - 3 sets of 10x each hand. Too easy

Extensors

IM Red Band - 5 sets of 60x each hand. Too easy

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quick session tonight:

Dumbbell Bench Press

91.5 lb DBs - 8x

101.5 lb DBs - 8x

111.5 lb DBs - 6x. These plate loaded DBs get awkward past 100lbs

Incline Smith Machine Bench Press

245 lbs - 8x, 7x

235 lbs - 8x

Smith Machine Squats

260 lbs - 3x

295 lbs - 3x

330 lbs - 6x. Forgot my lifting shoes. Got so use to them. Didn't feel stable in the sneakers so I didn't go all out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was suppose to go to the gym with my girl last night but she wasn't feeling well so I went alone. Worked out at the gym around the corner from my place:

Deadlifts

280 lbs - 3x

320 lbs - 3x

360 lbs - 8x. Probably could have gotten 9 but I didn't want to let a war cry at a public gym so I cut it there. Happy with the reps but I noticed some form breakdown for the last couple. I was tired and I muscled them.

Standing Overhead Barbell Press

135 lbs - 3x

155 lbs - 3x

175 lbs - 5x - The weight at this gym is downstairs and the ceiling isn't very high. I have crazy long arms. I wasn't able to use 45s and I had to stop just shy of full lock out. I also had to shift over after unracking to make sure I didn't hit the light haha.

Barbell Rows

195 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

Plate Loaded Preacher Curl Machine

90 lbs - 3 sets of 10x. This is one of the newer machines in the gym but I really don't like it. I don't feel a good contraction in the bicep from it. I'll throw in extra bicep work this weekend to make up for it.  

Rear Delt Machine

120 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another fantastic grip workout. PRs across the board! Totally redeemed myself from last pinch workout:

lying hamstring curls

140 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Straight Bar Triceps pushdown

80 lbs - 8x

90 lbs - 8x

100 lbs - 8x

Flask 1 Hand Pinch

Left Hand

81 lbs - 4 singles. First timing breaking 80 and every lift felt glued to my hand. Super easy.

71 lbs - 3 doubles

66 lbs - 3 triples

Right Hand

78.5 lbs - 4 singles. PR righty and every one felt so freaking easy. I was Laughing while doing them.

68.5 lbs - 3 doubles

63.5 lbs - 3 triples

- every lift with either hand felt so dam light. I kept checking the weight to make sure I didn't miss load.

Left Hand MMS Grippers

174 lb RB 280 - 3 singles. Comeback PR!

172 lb COC 3.5 - 1 single

153 lbs COC 3 - 3 triples

149 COC 3 - 3 triples

- need to bring my 160 MM1 next time for doubles

Left Hand RBA Negatives 

Setting 6-6 - 5 negatives with 5 second holds

1 Hand Cable Rows with 2" block

30 lbs - 10x each hand

1 Hand Pulldowns with 2" block

30 lbs - 8x each hand

thumbscrews dynamic pinch

5 sets of 10x each hand

 

Trust the process.........

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today's training:

Leg Press Machine Calf Raises

320 lbs - 25x, 25x, 20x, 20x

Seated Calf Raises

70 lbs - 20x, 15x, 20x, 15x

Front Levering

12 lb 7.5" from end - 3 sets of 10x

Rear Levering 

12 lb 7.5" from end - 3 sets of 10x

Supination/Pronation

Light Bar + clip - 3 sets of 10x each hanf

Strict Plate Wrist Curls

35 lb Plate - 3 sets of 8x both hands same times

Strict Plate Reverse Wrist Curls

25 lb Plate - 3 sets of 10x both hands same times

Lat Pulldowns

160 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

1 Arm Machine Curls

95 lbs - 3 sets of 8x each arm

Ab Machine Crunches 

140 lbs - 3 sets of 20x

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quick session last night which appears to be the norm lately. I will make up the accessories missed on the weekend as usual. Last night's training:

Smith Machine Squats

280 lbs - 5x

315 lbs - 3x

350 lbs - 5x

Dumbbell Bench Press

91.5 lb DBs - 8x

101.5 lb DBs - 6x. These are plate loadable DBs and I tried something different tonight by using 35s as the "big plates" because it would allow me to load more weight in the future. Well, it didn't work. The width of the plates threw me off and made this set awkward so I only got 6 reps.  

111.5 lbs DBs - 6x. Changed out the 35s for the 25s and added more small plates. The handles are pretty max out with this arrangement. I'll have to do another chest exercise first to pre-fatigue myself as I get stronger.

Decline Dumbbell Bench Press

101.5 lb DBs - 10x, 10x, 9x - Just didn't have enough in the take for that last rep. I forgot to take my pre-workout caffeine and I was running on empty at that point.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why don't you ask Andrew how much it'd cost to whip you up a pair of extra long loadable dumbbells?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Anthony C. said:

Why don't you ask Andrew how much it'd cost to whip you up a pair of extra long loadable dumbbells?

ya, that is a good idea. Money is a little tight right now (just booked a cruise) but it wouldn't hurt to ask. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today's training:

Deadlifts

300 lbs - 5x

340 lbs - 3x

380 lbs - 7x. Not bad. I really wanted 8 but I just didn't have the energy to go for the last one. It's been a long week.

Standing Overhead Barbell Press

145 lbs - 5x

165 lbs - 3x

185 lbs - 2x

1 Arm Machine Preacher Curls

Setting 4 + add on plate - 10x, 8x, 8x each arm

Barbell Rows

195 lbs - 8x, 8x, 8x

 

Need to rest up. Tomorrow is right hand grippers and crusher training. Really excited to train those events.

 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Started phase 2 of my gripper comeback training today and it went then I could imagine. My crush power is coming back quickly now:

Lying Hamstring Curls

140 lbs - 10x, 10x, 10x

Straight Bar Triceps Pressdown 

85 lbs - 8x

95 lbs - 8x

100 lbs - 8x

Right Hand MMS Grippers

186 lb MM3 - 4 singles! Laughing while I dominated it!

174 lb RB 280 - 3 doubles. Too dam easy

167 lb COC 3.5 - 3 triples. No problem

Right Hand RBA Negatives

setting 7-7 - 5 Negatives with 5 second holds

Right Hand 30mm block grippers

165 lb Elite - 5 singles. Too dam easy. Throwing these in at the end to get use to 30mm block sets

2.5" Crusher Dealifts

Left Hand

140 lbs - 4 singles

125 lbs - 3 doubles

115 lbs - 3 triples

Right Hand

140 lbs - 1 singles. Major gripper fatigue

127.5 lbs - 3 singles

112.5 lbs - 3 doubles

102.5 lbs - 3 triples

2.5" Crusher 1 Arm Cable Rows

80 lbs + add on plate - 8x, 8x, 8x each hand

2.5" Crusher 1 Arm Pulldowns

80 lbs - 8x, 8x, 8x each hand

 

On a roll right now. Stronger every week.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better, stronger, faster."

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went to the city yesterday to meet up with some friends for brunch and we went shopping after so I didn't get a chance to make it to the gym. I decided to hit my wrist work at home last night right before bed:

 

Strict Sledge Hammer Deadlifts

12 lb Sledge as far back as I could go - 10 reps each hand. Decided to drop to the 6 lb sledge for the next two sets and move my hand to the end. 

6 lb Sledge had all the way back and moving it forward when needed - 2 sets of 10x each hand.

Rear Weaver Stick 

6 lb Sledge had all the way back and moving it forward when needed - 3 sets of 10x each hand

Pronation/Supination

6 lb Sledge as far back as I could tolerate - 3 sets of 10x each hand

Strict Sledge Wrist Curls

12 lb Sledge - 3 sets of 10x each hand

Strict Reverse Sledge Wrist Curls

6 lb Sledge - 3 sets of 10x each hand

 

Going to the gym tonight to make up the accessory lifting I missed yesterday. My forearms were freaking sore this morning. I could really feel it gripping the steering wheel on the way into work. That is good though. Gains are coming..............

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finished up some accessory lifts tonight:

Leg Press Machine Calf Raises

340 lbs - 20x, 20x, 20x, 20x

Seated Calf Raises

70 lbs - 20x, 20x, 20x, 20x

- Calf work felt easy tonight and I went up. Time to go up again. 

Ab Machine

140 lbs - 20x, 20x, 20x

Lat Pull Downs

170 lbs - 10x

180 lbs - 10x

190 lbs - 10x

- felt really strong on these tonight. The guy I was working in with even said "you are making that look too easy." Feeling confident with my arm.

Real Delt Fly Machine

120 lbs - 10x

140 lbs - 8x. Oops. Made a mistake and thought I did 130 last set. This was hard. Backing off a little.

130 lbs - 10x

 

Post workout Mexican food and half price margarita pitchers on Mucho Monday! You know for muscle soreness.......

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great job with the lat pull downs! This past Monday was my last physical therapy appointment, see the doctor tomorrow, and I'm planning on going back to the gym Friday so I'm guessing I'll be banging out 40/50 pound lat pull downs with my repaired bicep! They had me doing cable rows at physical therapy but I haven't tried lat pull downs since I tore my distil bicep tendon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, gerryg said:

Great job with the lat pull downs! This past Monday was my last physical therapy appointment, see the doctor tomorrow, and I'm planning on going back to the gym Friday so I'm guessing I'll be banging out 40/50 pound lat pull downs with my repaired bicep! They had me doing cable rows at physical therapy but I haven't tried lat pull downs since I tore my distil bicep tendon.

Thanks buddy. I have been cautious for a while so I need to push myself here and there. You will be back stronger than ever as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like you'll beat me to that 500lb deadlift goal this year! My training is coming along a little slower but it's awesome to see some good pulling in your log. :rock

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gabriel O'Keeffe said:

Looks like you'll beat me to that 500lb deadlift goal this year! My training is coming along a little slower but it's awesome to see some good pulling in your log. :rock

Thanks man. I smile every time I do them. It means a lot to me to be able to do them pain free after years of leg problems. I feel like I have been given a second chance. I hope you get it also! I'm rooting for you. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tonight's training: 

Incline Smith Machine Bench Press

200 lbs - 5x

235 lbs - 5x

265 lbs - 7x

Flat Bench Press

185 lbs - 10x

195 lbs - 10x

205 lbs - 10x

planned to do DB Bench but I left my adjustable DBs in the car and I was too lazy to get them so I figure higher rep Barbell wouldn't be so bad since I pre fatigued myself with the incline smith machine presses. I was right. I really like this order. I was able to use less weight on the bench and focus on form. I can def move up a little bit this felt great. Good way to work on form while giving the shoulder a break. 

Smith Machine Squats

250 lbs - 5x

285 lbs - 5x

320 lbs - 7x. I realized 2 reps in I forgot to put on my belt. I only wear it for the last set where I go all out. I know it's Smith Machine but it helps me feel more stable to really push things. Oh well, it helped me engage my core.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/17/2017 at 4:47 PM, Chez said:

That is actually the first time I have heard that. I'll try and concentrate on the slowing down the decent. I think sometimes I'm pretty exhausted by the time I get to the gym. I go at night after work. also, it has been beaten into my head to drop a lift and follow it with my hand still gripped around the implement to the ground because the lift doesn't count in grip competition if your hand slips on the way down so I was told a lot in the beginning that once I get the down signal to put it down real fast. I'll see if I can make a concentrated effort on it. Thanks for checking out the vid and for the feedback.  

Hey Chez - I haven't been very active on the board of late, but good to see that your deadlift is progressing well! I'm sure that the other guys have covered this, but a few points I would mention about your deadlift form - all of them are just my opinion obviously and there are a bunch of people better qualified whose advice you should probably prefer to mine!

  1. I would disagree with GripAustria's point above to an extent. There's nothing inherently wrong with putting the weight down quickly - although you should strive to keep fairly tight as you do so. Although lowering the weight down slowly can be beneficial (especially for carryover to sports, where eccentric hamstring strength is crucial) it will cause a lot more fatigue and if you just want to improve deadlifts and be able to recover quickly, then I wouldn't recommend deliberately slow eccentrics - although as I mentioned, letting form break down significantly on the eccentric is probably not great, but I didn't see anything I was worried about on your video at all in that regard.
  2. As you have already mentioned, trying to get tight and put some force into the bar before you actually lift it off the ground is important. Part of this is engaging the lats (various cues for this, one thing to avoid though is retracting the scapulae, as you can't hold that position under v.heavy load), the other part, is breathing correctly to brace the spine. Again, I won't go into detail because you may already know, but generating some tension in the abs, then breathing into your stomach whilst retaining that tension and then bracing fully as you start generating tension into the bar is very helpful IMO.
  3. I don't think your hips are too high to start. At the moment your hips and shoulders start rising at the same time, which is good. If you sink your hips lower, you might end up with your hips shooting up first, as it will turn it into more of a clean pull/squatting type motion.
  4. Personal preference, but lifting without the Adipowers might be helpful in maintaining a good shin angle (close to perpendicular as possible), and not tipping you forward. However, if you have tight hamstrings or other mobility restrictions, or if you just feel more comfortable with the heel than barefoot or in flat shoes then don't worry about it - there are plenty of people much stronger than me who deadlift in weightlifting shoes!
  5. Finally, I feel stronger when I keep my neck in line with my back, so rather than looking straight forward, I tend to look at the ground 15 feet in front of me. Again, having said that I suspect that whatever you feel most comfortable with is probably the best way to go.

Best of luck with your training in 2017 - I'll be following with interest!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, patrickmeniru said:

Hey Chez - I haven't been very active on the board of late, but good to see that your deadlift is progressing well! I'm sure that the other guys have covered this, but a few points I would mention about your deadlift form - all of them are just my opinion obviously and there are a bunch of people better qualified whose advice you should probably prefer to mine!

  1. I would disagree with GripAustria's point above to an extent. There's nothing inherently wrong with putting the weight down quickly - although you should strive to keep fairly tight as you do so. Although lowering the weight down slowly can be beneficial (especially for carryover to sports, where eccentric hamstring strength is crucial) it will cause a lot more fatigue and if you just want to improve deadlifts and be able to recover quickly, then I wouldn't recommend deliberately slow eccentrics - although as I mentioned, letting form break down significantly on the eccentric is probably not great, but I didn't see anything I was worried about on your video at all in that regard.
  2. As you have already mentioned, trying to get tight and put some force into the bar before you actually lift it off the ground is important. Part of this is engaging the lats (various cues for this, one thing to avoid though is retracting the scapulae, as you can't hold that position under v.heavy load), the other part, is breathing correctly to brace the spine. Again, I won't go into detail because you may already know, but generating some tension in the abs, then breathing into your stomach whilst retaining that tension and then bracing fully as you start generating tension into the bar is very helpful IMO.
  3. I don't think your hips are too high to start. At the moment your hips and shoulders start rising at the same time, which is good. If you sink your hips lower, you might end up with your hips shooting up first, as it will turn it into more of a clean pull/squatting type motion.
  4. Personal preference, but lifting without the Adipowers might be helpful in maintaining a good shin angle (close to perpendicular as possible), and not tipping you forward. However, if you have tight hamstrings or other mobility restrictions, or if you just feel more comfortable with the heel than barefoot or in flat shoes then don't worry about it - there are plenty of people much stronger than me who deadlift in weightlifting shoes!
  5. Finally, I feel stronger when I keep my neck in line with my back, so rather than looking straight forward, I tend to look at the ground 15 feet in front of me. Again, having said that I suspect that whatever you feel most comfortable with is probably the best way to go.

Best of luck with your training in 2017 - I'll be following with interest!

Thanks Pat. And thanks for taking the time in analyzing my form. You are def right about the shoes. A friend of mine who is a strength coach said the same thing. My shoes are made more for squats and I need a flatter one. I can't lift barefoot because even though my ankle is finally healed I don't have great feet (flat etc.) which caused the ankle problem. He recommended a shoe but I can't find it in my size. Its like sold out in my size everywhere. I'll see if a can find better ones. I'll try your tips for staying tight and neck position next session. I appreciate any advice I can get. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fantastic session tonight. I hit a brand new deadlift PR for weight at 10 reps! Deadlifts have gone from the exercise I hated the most to the one I love the most now. Here is what I did tonight:

Deadlifts

265 lbs - 5x

310 lbs - 5x

350 lbs - 10x Brand new weight PR for 10 reps! I let out a huge roar during the 10th one. I really wanted it. I was tired going into the session but I was able to muster up the energy and get the PR. My buddy hit a PR right before so it motivated me to go all out. 

Standing Barbell Overhead press

130 lbs - 5x

150 lbs - 5x

170 lbs - 6x

7s (Barbell Bicep Curls)

65 lbs - good

75 lbs - good

85 lbs - good. Going to try and move up in weight soon. Its time.

Barbell Rows

205 lbs - 8x, 8x, 8x. Went up in weight and it felt great. 

 

Have a training session with Anthony C planned for Saturday. Should motivate me to hit some highs in off hand grippers and flask pinch. Training is going great. I'll try and get some video.  

 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Chez said:

Thanks Pat. And thanks for taking the time in analyzing my form. You are def right about the shoes. A friend of mine who is a strength coach said the same thing. My shoes are made more for squats and I need a flatter one. I can't lift barefoot because even though my ankle is finally healed I don't have great feet (flat etc.) which caused the ankle problem. He recommended a shoe but I can't find it in my size. Its like sold out in my size everywhere. I'll see if a can find better ones. I'll try your tips for staying tight and neck position next session. I appreciate any advice I can get. 

No worries - you're welcome! I've actually had a lot of foot and ankle problems myself, which I think I'm slowly getting on top of, at work at the moment so don't have time to type out my experiences/what's helped me so far, but will try and remember to do so later as you may find it helpful (equally you may think it's nonsense, but I won't take offence either way!).

You're definitely right about the shoes - so nice for squatting, I actually have the same pair and they're definitely one of the better investments I've made!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good training session today with Anthony C from the gripboard. Here is what I did:

Close Grip Bench Press

205 lbs - 8x

215 lbs - 8x

225 lbs - 8x

Lying Hamstring Curls

Setting 6 - 10x

Setting 7 - 10x, 10x

Flask 1 Hand Pinch

Left Hand

83.5 lbs - 4 singles. Ya buddy!

73.5 lbs - 3 doubles

63.5 lbs - 3 triples

Right Hand

78.5 lbs - 4 singles. Same as last time. I tried 81 but it wasn't happening right hand today. 

68.5 lbs - 3 doubles

58.5 lbs - 3 triples

Left Hand MMS Grippers

176 lb MM# Replica - 2 Singles! Come Back PR. Another Step closer to the MM3 Off Hand Cert. Got both closes on video. Video below. Couldn't get still of the sets but great stills of the closes. 

174 lb RB 280 - 2 Singles. Good stuff

160 lb MM1 Replica - 2 doubles

153 lb COC #3 - 4 triples

Left Hand RBA Negatives

Setting 6-6 - 5 Negatives with 5 second closes

Left Hand Grippers 30mm Block

153 lb COC #3 - 2 singles

149 lb COC #3 - 3 singles

 

Here are the left hand MM3 Replica Closes:

 

I'll make up the rest of the pinch work tomorrow. Had to get some food and hard cider. Good times.......

 

 

 

 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Amazing how you destroy grippers!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Amazing how you destroy grippers!!

Thanks buddy. Its like riding a bike. Its all coming back. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today training:

1 Arm Cable Rows with 2" block

50 lbs - 4 sets of 10x each hand

1 Arm Cable Lat Pullsdowns with 2" block

20 lbs + add on plate - 10x each hand

20 lb - 3 sets of 10x each hand

Thunmbscrews Dynamic Pinch

2 sets of 20x each hand

3 sets of 15x each hand

Strict Sledge Hammer Deadlifts

6 lb sledge starting at end and moving up as I fatigued - 3 sets of 8x each hand

Rear Weaver Stick

6 lb sledge at end - 3 sets of 8x each hand

pronation/suppination

6 lbs sledge about middle - 3 sets of 8x each hand

Strict Plate Wrist Curls

35 lbs plate with 2 hands - 3 sets of 8x

Reverse Plate Wrist Curls

25 lb plate with 2 hands - 10x

10 lb plate single hand - 10x, 10x each hand

Standing Calf Raises in the Smith Machine on step

Toes forward

135 lbs - 20x

155 lbs - 2 sets of 20x

Toes Inward

135 lbs - 3 sets of 15x

Toes Outward

135 lbs - 3 sets of 15x

Lat Pulldowns

170 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

Rear Laterals

30 lb DBs - 8x

25 lb DBs - 2 sets of 8x

Lying Straight Leg Raises in Static Crunch

3 sets of 15x

 

 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.