Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

Still training. Just super busy with work and trying to find a place to live with my girlfriend. Also getting ready for the grip comp I'm running next weekend. I'll find time to update the log this weekend.

Edited by Chez

Gotta start logging again. I'm just going to pick up with tonight. I'm doing a deload week (40-60 percent of my training max for everything which is less than my real max). My grip competition is this upcoming weekend so its perfect timing.

Flat Barbell Bench Press

118.5 lbs = 5 reps

148.5 lbs = 5 reps

178.5 lbs = 5 reps

Incline Barbell Bench Press

107.5 lbs = 5 reps

135 lbs = 5 reps

162 lbs = 5 reps

Barbell Curls

45 lbs = 10 reps

65 lbs = 3 sets of 15 reps

Close Grip Push Ups

3 sets of 10 reps

Note: tomorrow will be my last grip workout before the comp. Here is a video of how I decided to run the sledge choke event. It will allow less tilt and be easy to judge:

Edited by Chez

• 2 weeks later...

Argh! Life has been busy. Time to get back on track with this log. I just held a comp this past weekend and it went pretty well. I made a few mistakes running the comp, but I made notes of what I need to do differently. I'm hosting a location for the king kong grip comp in late October so I'll make sure to correct the errors for that comp. Here is a summary of how I did lift wise:

Event 1: Grippers with a 20 mm Block Set.

Attempt 1 - I opened with my 185.8 lb MM3 Replica and got it no problem.

Attempt 2 - I decided to make the jump to my 192 lb Freak MM3 Replica. I just closed this gripper with a 20 mm block set earlier in the week and I was hoping to duplicate that close to grab 2nd best 20 mm block set close on the NAGS list. I missed by a small margin.

Attempt 3 - I decided to drop down to my 189.85 MM5 Replica. I squeaked out the close and actually got light headed and shaky in the legs. This is a gripper that I have closed no problem 20 mm block set in training but I felt off on grippers today so it was tough this time. I guess I trained heavy grippers way too close to the comp. Stupid mistake. This close is still good for 3rd best on the NAGS list.

Attempt 4 - I tried one more time with the 192 lb MM3 and I got even closer this time but I couldn't seal the deal. It was meant to happen today. Oh well. 189.85 is still a huge comp PR.

Event 2: Ironmind Hub

Attempt 1 - Got 60 lbs very easy.

Attempt 2 - 65.35 lbs was no problem

Attempt 3 - Got 67.75 lbs. New PR! Felt very good also. I had more in me.

Attempt 4 - I went for 70 lbs even. I have been chasing 70 lbs on the hub for a while. A couple months back I got it 6 inches off the floor. I pulled it to lock out and got the down signal and all of a sudden it slipped out of my hands! :(. So freaking close. Oh well. The hub is an event at King Kong in October and I'm taking 70 lbs down!

Rolling Thunder

- before I decided to pick the rolling thunder as an event I hadn't trained the RT in a long time. My ankle has been bad so I have been avoiding events that put lots of stress on my ankle. I had lost a lot of progress on it when I started training it again but I started to hit my stride again leading up to the comp. I also took a break from grippers left hand to make sure my left was well rested for this.

Attempt 1 - 164.9 lbs with complete ease

Attempt 2 - 172.5 lbs no problem

Attempt 3 - 177.5 lbs felt real good

Attempt 4 - 180.15 lbs. Got it! Pretty close to where I use to be on the RT. Happy with this result since I brought it back up in a short time. I want to keep hitting the RT now and make a push for 200 lbs because I want to get on the ironmind list for the crush to dust challenge. The RT is the only thing holding me back. I'll keep hitting it on thick bar day.

Sledge Choke with strict rules

- the rules I used for the sledge choke were very strict. The ball and nut allowed very little tilt. I like the idea but admit I should have allowed a little more tilt. Next time I'll use a bigger nut on the sledge head and I'll use half inch lines since 1 inch jumps on this was brutal.

Attempt 1 - 14 inches no problem

Attempt 2-4 - I kep trying 15 inches. I got this with compete ease in training but I could only get it about half way up with my best attempt. My wrist was fried and it just wasn't happening today.

Overall happy with my performance.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

tonight's training

Flat Barbell Bench Press

120 lbs = 5 reps

150 lbs = 5 reps

180 lbs = 3 reps

195 lbs = 5 reps

225 lbs = 5 reps

255 lbs = 5 reps

137.5 lbs = 10 reps

165 lbs = 10 reps

192.5 lbs = 10 reps

Barbell Curls

45 lbs = 10 reps

95 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Close Grip Push Ups

3 sets of 10 reps

Grippers Left Hand (MMS unless stated otherwise)

COC Sport = 10 reps

COC #.5 = 5 reps

COC #1 = 3 reps

COC #2 = 2 reps

COC # 2.5 = 1 rep

Original #3 = 1 rep

165.3 lb BBE = 1 rep

174 RB 280 = 1 rep

172 COC #3.5 = 1 rep

153 COC #3 = 3 reps 20 mm Block set

153 COC #3 = 3 reps 20 mm Block set

153 COC #3 = 2 reps 20 mm Block set

Crush Booster Holds Left Hand

Big Purple Band and Red Band = (3) 10 second holds

Note: Time to start Training for King Kong. Only event I'm worried about is the little big horn since I haven't trained it in a long time and I honestly don't like it but I'll do my best to bring it up before the comp.

• Like 1

Huge numbers for the contest its seems you hit a contest PR in nearly everything and some by quite a big margin. Way to go on the successful day of competing and running a contest with such a large group.

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 2

Huge numbers for the contest its seems you hit a contest PR in nearly everything and some by quite a big margin. Way to go on the successful day of competing and running a contest with such a large group.

Thanks Stephen. Block set grippers was the huge PR. In the past I only trained MMS so my paused strength was way below my MMS. I have been doing a lot more block work and its paying off. I hope the competition can evolve and grow. We have a nice group of regulars in the area now.

By the way, you are freaking huge dude. I saw the pic of you with Clay and you are noticeably bigger and Clay is no tiny guy either.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Good pinch workout tonight.

Squats

1 Warm up Set of 10 reps

1 Warm up Set of 8 reps

3 working sets of 5 reps

Stiff Leg Deadlifts

3 working sets of 10 reps

1 Hand Pinch Euro

53.9 lbs = 5 reps each hand

65.15 lbs = 3 reps each hand

76.35 lbs = 2 reps each hand

81.25 lbs = 1 rep each hand

83.35 lbs = 1 rep each hand

86.7 lbs = 1 rep each hand

89.2 lbs = 1 rep left PR! and maybe a full rep right. I didn't have the cross bar up for the right, but I did for the left. Not sure about the right, it may be been just high enough. Pretty sure this is a PR on my Euro which isn't as seasoned as ones I have tried at competitions. Stoked about the PR.

90.05 lbs = 1/16" short of the Cross bar Left hand! dammit. So freaking close. Only half way up right. I would have gotten this if I tried it before the 89.2. oh well, next time.

76.35 lbs = 2 sets of 3 reps each hand. Enough 1 HP because I don't want to tear the webbing.

IM Hub

29.75 lbs = 5 lifts each hand

40.05 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

50.9 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

56.05 lbs = 3 lifts left and 2 lifts right. fatigue is setting in from the Euro.

53+ lbs = 3 lifts each hand. I forgot to right down the exact weight but it was a little over 53 lbs.

1 Hand Dynamic Pinch Pop's Gripper

2 Orange Rogue Bands on the high mount = 3 sets of 10 reps each hand.

Note: Not too shabby. I think 95-100 lbs 1 HP and 70-72.5 hub are very doable at King Kong. It was late so I'll make up the ab, calf and lower back work next workout.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been very busy this week so I took a couple days off training. Its good though. Sometimes you need the break to come back stronger. Started training for the King Kong Comp in October by testing my current max in the one hand axle and little big horn since I never train those events. I needed a baseline so I can focus on bringing both up in the coming months.

8/9/14

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press

85 lbs = 5 reps

107.5 lbs = 5 reps

130 lbs = 3 reps

140 lbs = 5 reps

162.5 lbs = 5 reps

182.5 lbs = 5 reps

Close Grip Bench Press

145 lbs = 10 reps

172.5 lbs = 10 reps

200 lbs = 10 reps

1 Hand Axle

115 lbs = 5 reps each hand

135 lbs = 2 reps each hand

155 lbs = 1 rep each hand

165 lbs = 1 rep each hand

175 lbs = 1 rep each hand

181 lbs (postal scaled weighed) = 1 rep right and half rep left. Not bad. I feel my right hand had a couple more lbs in the tank but enough for today.

- Now I remember the reason why I don't like this event. If you are a fraction of an inch off center it tilts like crazy and both sides need to be above the knees for a good lift. Pain in the butt event and it will be tough to judge at King Kong. I would rather do an event like the rolling thunder. Oh well. I know I can do even better once I get the technique down.

Little Big Horn

125.5 lbs = 2 reps each hand

135.5 lbs = 1 rep each hand

145.5 lbs = 1 rep each hand

155.5 lbs = 1 rep right and partial rep left. Left hand is off today.

160.65 lbs (postal scale weighed) = 1 rep right. This is about where I thought I would be. I haven't touch this thing in a very long time and I never really trained it. I honestly don't like the feel of it. I played around with the technique and a underhand grip towards the top partial of the horn works best for me. This will be my major focus in the next 2.5 months. I need to get this up at least 10-15 lbs. This is my weak event for the comp so I'll do whatever it takes to get better at it.

125.5 lbs = 3 sets of 3 reps each hand. Just wanted to get more volume in.

8/10/14

Rolling Thunder

96.5 lbs = 5 reps each hand

141.5 lbs = 3 sets of 5 reps each hand. I had to rush yesterdays workout and wanted more thick bar volume.

Dumbbell Hammer Curls with Fat Gripz Extreme

41.5 lb DBs = 2 sets of 8 reps each arm

31.5 lb DBs = 2 sets of 10 reps each arm

Close grip push ups

3 sets of 10 reps

Extensors

IM Red Band = 3 sets of 50 reps each hand. Been using my hand X band but it tore the other day :( so its back to the expand your hand bands.

Quick workout today. Just hitting the things I didn't have time for yesterday.

They have a promotion going on right now where they give you a free GD Iron Grip 90 adjustable gripper with your name engraved on it if you can close the highest setting on video (90 kgs). Mighty Joe sent me his to try. Thanks Joe! You are allowed to set it but I closed it TNS right and left hand to make it more challenging. Here are the videos. I had to do each hand twice since its difficult to show the close on video because the black stoppers were tough to show on film. I'm still working out. I'll update the log when I'm done

Right hand TNS =

Left Hand TNS =

• Like 1

How does it feel to have the handles in-line with each other vs. offset?

That's absolutely the coolest looking adjustable gripper out there at the moment. Great closes as always Chez. Too bad those black stoppers don't let you close the handles all the way. I think that's the biggest down side to this gripper.

Saw that gripper on ebay, it looks so damn cool. :yikes

Its a great design. Very smooth also.

How does it feel to have the handles in-line with each other vs. offset?

The adjustables like this one, the Vulcan and RBA which have the handles in line are all very smooth. Very different feeling than regular torsion spring grippers since you don't feel the torque of the torsion spring grinding on itself. The tension is more uniform throughout instead of the huge ramp up like torsion spring grippers.

That's absolutely the coolest looking adjustable gripper out there at the moment. Great closes as always Chez. Too bad those black stoppers don't let you close the handles all the way. I think that's the biggest down side to this gripper.

Thanks buddy. I agree. This gripper would be absolutely perfect if they made a harder version and the handles touched. Still the best design I have ever seen for an adjustable gripper. Very high quality and well made

• Like 1

I still need to update the log with the last 4 workouts but I trained pinch tonight and got a one hand Euro lift PR of 90.5 lbs on my device. Form is pretty ugly. I didn't even realize my off arm was resting on my knee. I think I do that out of habit but I have to break that habit. It tough for me to bend very low because my ankle isn't very flexible now after the surgery. oh well. still happy to break 90 lbs on my device. Chasing 100. Here is the video:

Edited by Chez

Good pulls Chez, I believe you can pull at least 5# more on technique alone. 1: set up a bit cocked to the side (right hand at about 1230-1 O - clock, left 1100-1130. The device has a tendency to roll a bit on the 1 hand lifts in the direction of whatever hand is gripping. The off center setup helps to mitigate the rolling a bit. 2: Experiment a with your stance; I pull a hair stronger with my strong foot a few inches forward. 3: get that radiant tension going before you pull, tighten the wrists, pull till the skin begins to stretch, then really grip down and get it off the floor... Also, getting jacked doesn't work for me when I pinch. It does with all other lifts but not pinch. Try to approach it like a long putt - calm and focused. It may or may not work for you but these are all variables that might amount to a few pounds on your max. Pinch is all about experimenting.

Edited by jvance

Good pulls Chez, I believe you can pull at least 5# more on technique alone. 1: set up a bit cocked to the side (right hand at about 1230-1 O - clock, left 1100-1130. The device has a tendency to roll a bit on the 1 hand lifts in the direction of whatever hand is gripping. The off center setup helps to mitigate the rolling a bit. 2: Experiment a with your stance; I pull a hair stronger with my strong foot a few inches forward. 3: get that radiant tension going before you pull, tighten the wrists, pull till the skin begins to stretch, then really grip down and get it off the floor... Also, getting jacked doesn't work for me when I pinch. It does with all other lifts but not pinch. Try to approach it like a long putt - calm and focused. It may or may not work for you but these are all variables that might amount to a few pounds on your max. Pinch is all about experimenting.

Thanks for the advice bud. I'll give it a shot next pinch session.

Time to play catch and log this weeks workouts.

8/12/14

Calves

4 sets of 75 reps

Seated Lever to the front

12 lb Sledge at 8 inches = 3 sets of 10 reps each hand

Standing rear lever

12 lb sledge at 10 inches = 3 sets of 10 reps each hand

Supination/pronation seated

12 lb sledge at 6 inches = 3 sets of 8 reps

Seated Reverse DB wrist curls

22.5 lbs DB = 3 sets of 10 reps each hand

8/14/14

Deadlifts

1 warm up set of 8 reps

1 warm up set of 5 reps

3 working sets at 5 reps

Front Squats

3 working sets of 10 reps

Bent Over DB Rows

61.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 10 reps each side

8/16/14

Flat Barbell Bench Press

120 lbs = 5 reps

150 lbs = 5 reps

180 lbs = 3 reps

210 lbs = 3 reps

240 lbs = 3 reps

270 lbs = 3 reps

165 lbs = 8 reps

192.5 lbs = 8 reps

220 lbs = 6 reps

Grippers Right Hand (MMS unless stated otherwise)

COC Sport = 10 reps

COC .5 = 5 reps

COC #1 = 3 reps

COC #2 = 2 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 rep

GHP 6 = 1 rep

Cert COC #3 = 1 rep

GD 90 gripper 90 kg = 1 TNS

GD 90 gripper 90 kg = 1 TNS, video in previous post.

172lb COC #3.5 = 1 GHP Block set Close

179.7 lb COC #2.5 = 1 30mm Block set close

172lb COC #3.5 = 1 GHP Block set Close

171.5 lb BBE = 2 reps

165.3 lb BBE = 2 reps

165.3 lb BBE = 2 reps

Gripper Left Hand

COC Sport = 10 reps

COC .5 = 5 reps

COC #1 = 3 reps

COC #2 = 2 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 rep

GHP 6 = 1 rep

Cert #3 = 1 rep

GD 90 gripper 90 kg = 1 TNS

GD 90 gripper 90 kg = 1 TNS, video in previous post.

- Not a left hand gripper day so I stopped it there. I only wanted to get the left hand GD 90 TNS on video.

Crush Booster Holds Right hand

Big purple and Red band = (3) 10 second holds

8/17/14

Squats

1 warm up set of 10 reps

1 warm up set of 8 reps

1 warm up set of 3 reps

3 working sets of 3 reps

Barbell Curls

65 lbs = 10 reps

95 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps

Close Grip Push Ups

3 sets of 10 reps

One Hand Pinch Euro

54 lbs = 5 reps each hand

65.6 lbs = 3 reps each hand

76.45 lbs = 2 reps each hand

81.45 lbs = 1 rep each hand

90.5 lbs = 1 lift left hand. New PR! video in previous post. Not happening right hand since I hit grippers hard yesterday.

81.45 lbs = 3 sets of 2 reps each hand

IM Hub

39.35 lbs = 3 reps each hand

55.35 lbs = 3 sets of 3 reps each hand.

Played around with my hand position by bending my thumb more and it felt stronger.

Pop's Gripper Dynamic One Hand Pinch

2 Orange Bands on high mount + 5lb plate = 2 sets of 15 reps each hand

2 Orange Bands on high mount + 5lb plate = 1 set of 12 reps each hand

Extensor Work

IM Red Band = 3 sets of 50 reps each hand.

Note - Tomorrow I'm definitely taking the night off. Real tired.

• Like 1

Im so excited to get some more chez gripper workouts done and see the gripper strength soar :D

I havent been this fired up about grippers in years!

Its kinda like that first initial spark I got when I bought my first grippers hehe

After new years Im trying your whole program training every aspect of grip.

Atm I just want to focus on getting past that 161lbs elite that to this date is my best close.

on the 1 h pinch. try to be set better before you pull and keep the off hand on the device. you remove the off hand and it looks like your fingers are still fluttering right till the pull. you can practice placing the off hand on your hip. gives extra power in the heavy lifts and develops that habit so you don't stay bent over.

• Like 1

Very strong 1hp and hey it looks like you got that 179 30mm close yeah buddy!

Im so excited to get some more chez gripper workouts done and see the gripper strength soar :D

I havent been this fired up about grippers in years!

Its kinda like that first initial spark I got when I bought my first grippers hehe

After new years Im trying your whole program training every aspect of grip.

Atm I just want to focus on getting past that 161lbs elite that to this date is my best close.

That's great dude. passion and intensity fuel gains. You will get past your old PR if you keep plugging away.

on the 1 h pinch. try to be set better before you pull and keep the off hand on the device. you remove the off hand and it looks like your fingers are still fluttering right till the pull. you can practice placing the off hand on your hip. gives extra power in the heavy lifts and develops that habit so you don't stay bent over.

Thanks for the tips Brent. I'm going to focus on my technique more next pinch session. I'll try to implement the advice. I have always struggled with my Euro Technique (the 2 hand version as well).

Very strong 1hp and hey it looks like you got that 179 30mm close yeah buddy!

Thanks bud. I actually got the 179.7 lb COC #3.5 with a 30mm block set about 3 months ago. Here is the vid:

I was going to try it with my GHP block this session but my hands felt a little fried after the 2 straight GD 90 TNS closes. I held the first one for a very long time (I didn't post that vid) as the camera person tried to get a clear shot of the stoppers. My endurance with wide set closes isn't as good as my MMS endurance. I plan on trying the hard # 3.5 with a 1 3/8 inch cut down credit card set next time. The smaller jumps will keep me motivated. I have used that trick often in my training.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Not logging tonight but I hit a brand new off hand (left hand) MMS gripper PR! I closed my 176.05 lb RGC MM3 Replica. I missed this gripper off hand by a hair a little while ago and it felt good to get REVENGE! I really want to certify of the real MM3 Off hand and join Paul Knight on that list. Here is the vid:

• Like 5

Felt pretty off tonight because I'm just super tired from work lately. I trained right hand grippers anyway hoping that I could snap out of it, but it didn't happen. Oh well, bad days happen. My friend sent me a super elite rated by Cannon at 185lbs that he wanted me to try. I closed it twice with a 20mm block set. Normally, this would be easier but I had to try more tonight due to lack of energy. Here is video of the first close:

I torn the skin on my set finger pretty bad again so I had to cut the session short to make sure I heal for the next one. I'm behind 5 workouts in the log. I'll catch up soon.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 4

alright, time to play catch up with the log. lots of workouts to include. going to do over a couple posts. here goes

8/20/14

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press

85 lbs = 5 reps

107.5 lbs = 5 reps

130 lbs = 3 reps

150 lbs = 3 reps

172.5 lbs = 3 reps

195 lbs = 3 reps

Close Grip Bench Press

172.5 lbs = 8 reps

200 lbs = 8 reps

220 lbs = 6 reps. This felt super easy and then I realized why. Its because I miscalculated what weight to use. I was suppose to use more for this set. Oh well, next time.

Left Hand Grippers (All MMS)

COC Sport = 10 reps

COC #.5 = 5 reps

COC #1 = 3 reps

COC #2 = 2 reps

GHP 6 = 1 rep

Cert #3 = 1 rep

165.3 lb BBE = 1 rep

176.05 lb MM3 Replica = 1 Rep. New PR Off Hand! Video posted above in the log. Nice to get revenge on this gripper after missing it by a hair a little while back.

174 lb RB 280 = 1 rep

171.5 lb BBE = 1 rep

153 lb COC #3 = 3 sets of 3 reps

Crush Booster Holds Left Hand

Big Purple + red band = (3) 10 second holds

8/21/14

Poundstone Empty Barbell 100 Rep Curl Challenge.

- I saw this on facebook. The challenge is to rep a 45 lb empty barbell for 100 reps. You can take rests as long as you don't put the barbell down. Its pretty brutal.

60 continuous reps. brief rest while holding the bar.

10 reps. rest

10 reps. rest

10 reps. rest

10 reps, rest

- got all 100 but now I would like to do them all without a rest. Crazy pump from this. I had trouble washing my face as my arms struggled to close fully. Couldn't fully straighten my arms for 3 days after.

1 Arm Overhead Dumbbell Extensions

31.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 15 reps each arm.

8/22/14

Ironmind Little Big Horn

100.5 lbs = 5 reps each hand

125.5 lbs = 2 reps each hand

145.5 lbs = 1 rep each hand

155.5 lbs = 1 rep each hand

164.15 lbs = 1 rep right hand, partial left

171.13 lbs = 1 rep right. New PR! Still getting use to this event. Haven't trained it much but this is my new high. I need 180 + by comp day.

171.13 lbs = half rep right

145.5 lbs = 2 sets of 2 reps each hand

145.5 lbs = 2 reps right, 1 rep and 1 partial left

Rolling Thunder

96.5 lbs = 5 reps each hand

151.5 lbs = 4 sets of 3 reps each hand. Felt too easy. More weight next time. I wasn't sure how much fatigue would effect me and I low balled the weight.

Ironmind Little Big Horn

100.5 lbs = 10 reps each hand. I wanted a burn out set to finish the workout off. Felt good.

8/26/14

Front Squats

1 Warm up set of 10 reps

3 working sets of 8 reps

Right Hand Grippers (MMS unless stated otherwise)

COC Sport = 10 reps

COC #.5 = 5 reps

COC #1 = 3 reps

COC #2 = 2 reps

GHP 6 = 1 rep

Cert #3 = 1 rep

Medium BBE = 1 rep

Hard BBE = 1 rep

Light MM3 = 1 rep

185 lb BBSE = 20mm Block set close. A friend sent me this gripper to try. I was very tired tonight and felt really off but I closed it. Not as easy as it normally would be though. Video above in the log.

185 lbs BBSE = 20 mm Block set close. Torn my freaking set finger bad again. This is happen more often with the heavy grippers. Especially since this gripper looks brand new and has sharp knurling. oh well. I tried to drop to my hard #3.5 and light MM3 for 20mm block set closes but I couldn't set them effectively because of the torn skin so I dropped even lower.

165.3 lb BBE = 2 reps with a 20mm Block set close.

165.3 lb BBE = 2 reps with a 20mm Block set close. That is enough for regular gripper tonight. I'm off and skin need to heal.

Crush Booster Holds Right Hand

Big Purple + Blue Bands = (3) 10 second holds. Most resistance I have used on the crush booster.

• Like 2

8/27/14

Stiff Leg Deadlifts

3 sets of 10 reps

Standing Band Rows (attached to the power rack)

Blue Band = 3 sets of 15 reps each hand

Ab Wheel

on my knees = 3 sets of 10 reps

Calf Raises

4 sets of 75 reps

8/29/14

Calf Raises

3 sets of 50 reps

Deadlifts

1 warm up set of 8 reps

1 warm up set of 5 reps

2 working sets of 3 reps