Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

Amazing wide set gripper workout today. I knew today was going to be special since everything felt super easy during warm ups. Sparks were flying off the handles

Grippers - reps are MMS unless stated otherwise

Right Hand

Warm ups

COC Sport = 10 reps

COC #.5 = 5 reps

COC #1 = 5 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 rep

GHP 6 = 1 rep

Cert COC #3 = 1 rep

Medium BBE = 1 rep

easier COC #3.5 = 1 rep

Working

172 lb Rated COC #3.5 = 1 CCS Close! Brand New Credit Card Set PR! Video Below.

165.3 lb BBE = CCS attempt. Slight miss.

159.6 lb 330N = 1 NS close. 2 7/16 inch spread.

159.6 lb 330N = 1 NS attempt. Slight miss.

149.2 lb COC #3 = 3 CCS reps

149.2 lb COC #3 = 2 CCS reps

Left Hand

Warm Ups

COC Sport = 10 reps

COC #.5 = 6 reps

COC #1 = 5 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 rep

GHP 6 = 1 rep

Working

137.6 lb GHP 6 = 2 NS reps

133.4 COC #2.5 = 3 NS reps

133.4 COC #2.5 = 2 NS reps

133.4 COC #2.5 = 2 NS reps

126.45 GNC 200 = 5 NS reps. Too easy so I stopped there

128.9 RB 210 = 2 NS reps

128.9 RB 210 = 1 NS rep and slight miss 2nd NS rep

112.7 COC #2 = 8 NS reps.

Crush Booster

2 Purple Bands = (3) 10 seconds holds each hand

Extensors

IM red Band = 3 sets of 50 reps each hand

COC #3.5 CCS close video = http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=I7ZzHr6mH_g

Note: did very light squats in between gripper sets. Like super light but the ankle feels better every day.

Edited by Chez

A little late updating the log. I had a light training session yesterday. We had a baptism yesterday and then went to a restaurant afterwards so I couldn't train legs at the gym like I planned. I had to improvise at home late and was just too tired to updated the log. I have been really concentrating on stretching my foot and its making a huge difference. My Ankle is starting to look great and its feeling stronger all the time. I did a light squat, calf and wrist session.

Squats

I'm being very cautious so I used super light weight for several sets of very high reps, but I felt great with absolutely no pain. I won't bother mention mentioning the weight since its ridiculously low. I will increase the weight next time. This was the most weight I have used since the surgery though.

Calf Raises

I can't push this either because of the ankle so I just did body weight for 5 sets of 30 reps. Felt great. Easing into things.

Homemade Lever bar to the front up and down

13 lbs = 4 sets of 10 each side. Felt strong. I will increase the weight next week.

Homemade Lever Bar Supination/Pronation

8.75 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps each side. No problem

Homemade Lever Bar to the rear up and down

13 lbs = 3 sets of 10 rep each side. No problem. Wrists are just feel strong.

Note: Took tonight off since my body feels very sore. I'll resume training tomorrow.

Edited by Chez

The Pinch PRs just keep coming. I wasn't suppose to train grip tonight, but I tested my 2 Hand Euro Pinch Max tonight. I hit a PR after not training 2HP for several months because of the ankle. I also trained shoulders and calves.

Seated Arnold Dumbbell Shoulder Presses

22.5 lb DBs = 12 reps

42.5 lb DBs = 4 sets of 12 reps

Bent Over Dumbbell Rear Laterals

16.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 12 reps

Euro 2 Hand Pinch

55 lbs = 10 reps

105 lbs = 5 reps

127 lbs = 3 reps

137 lbs = 2 reps

155 lbs = 1 rep

177 lbs = 1 rep

187 lbs = 1 rep

202 lbs weighed on my bathroom scale = 1 rep. Brand new PR. I even felt I had a little more in the tank. I did 200 lbs on Jedd Johnson's Euro before my ankle got real bad and I know for a fact that I pull about 10 lbs more on his set up. Pretty happy to set a new PR and to do it on my setup which I always pull less on than the ones in competition.

Extensors

IM Red Band = 3 sets of 50 reps each hand

Calf Raises

Body Weight = 5 sets of 50 reps

Note: If the whether is alright, I plan on Driving to Jedd's place this Saturday to compete in his comp. The events are 2hp Euro, Silver Bullet and stub. I was only worried about the Euro since its the heaviest and I wasn't sure if my ankle would hold up. I had no problems tonight so I should be good to go Saturday.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

I didnt know you were that strong in 2h pinch man.

How long have you been training pinch?

What was your starting number?

Do you have an actual euro or do you use a pinchblock?

I haven't been able to do much 2HP with my ankle. Even before the surgery. My ankle has going downhill for over 1.5 years. Its really held me back on any lift 200+ lbs. I started training 2HP Oct 21 2011 (had to look back at the log). The first 2 months + of my grip training was just grippers and that is when I started to branch out to the other areas because I competed in my first comp in Feb 2012. I only used weight plates with a PVC Pipe through them to start with. I tried an actual Euro for the first time at the comp in February 2012 and pulled 194 lbs+ on my last attempt. My ankle started to go downhill right after that comp though and it stalled my axle and Euro progress. I have an actual Euro now. They had a thread on the board that listed where to get the plates and other material that has now been deleted. I used that thread to buy the materials. My ankle is starting to feel great. i'm ready to kick some butt now :).

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Really short Biceps and Calves session tonight. Avoided anything grip to let me hands rest for this weekend.

Standing Alternating Dumbbell Curls

22.5 lb DBs = 10 reps each arm

42.5 lb DBs = 10 reps each arm

47.5 lb DBs = 2 sets of 10 reps each arm

Standing Simultaneous Dumbbell Hammer Curls

47.5 lb DBs = 3 sets of 10 reps each arm

Calf Raises

Body weight = 3 sets of 50 reps.

Awesome pinching brother, welcome to the 200 club! It's a great feeling to finally get that stripe - keep up the ass kicking

I haven't been able to do much 2HP with my ankle. Even before the surgery. My ankle has going downhill for over 1.5 years. Its really held me back on any lift 200+ lbs. I started training 2HP Oct 21 2011 (had to look back at the log). The first 2 months + of my grip training was just grippers and that is when I started to branch out to the other areas because I competed in my first comp in Feb 2012. I only used weight plates with a PVC Pipe through them to start with. I tried an actual Euro for the first time at the comp in February 2012 and pulled 194 lbs+ on my last attempt. My ankle started to go downhill right after that comp though and it stalled my axle and Euro progress. I have an actual Euro now. They had a thread on the board that listed where to get the plates and other material that has now been deleted. I used that thread to buy the materials. My ankle is starting to feel great. i'm ready to kick some butt now :).

Cool :)

I've ordered euro plates from Mr Horne a week ago and Elizabeth said they'd ship monday so I figure I should have them by early next week.

Will be interesting! I think I'll pinch 80+kg. Done 82,5kg on my 60mm and 50mm pinchblocks with loadingpin.

Awesome pinching brother, welcome to the 200 club! It's a great feeling to finally get that stripe - keep up the ass kicking

Thanks buddy.

Cool :)

I've ordered euro plates from Mr Horne a week ago and Elizabeth said they'd ship monday so I figure I should have them by early next week.

Will be interesting! I think I'll pinch 80+kg. Done 82,5kg on my 60mm and 50mm pinchblocks with loadingpin.

I'm sure you will do well.

Damn strong pinching man, good luck at the contest!

thanks dude. It turned out to be a great day filled with lots of PRs. I came in 4th out of 22 competitors. The top 3 being David Horne, Jedd Johnson and Juha. Ya, they are in a whole different class.

I am too tired to give a proper write up, but here are some of my best videos of the day. I had others but these are the ones I'm most proud of: 208 lb Two Hand Pinch, 62.95 lb IM Hub lift, Double 50 lb Blob lift, 5 Dimes one hand pinch. The last 3 were after the comp. I made all my Euro attempts and I felt I had more in the tank after the 208 lift. I held it at the top because I was pumped up. I held 19 kilos on the stub (3rd time ever touching one) for 5.18 seconds and did a silver bullet hold with a COC #4 for 12.99 seconds. Really please with everything. Especially since I had to wake up at 4am and start driving at 5am. Wine Power!

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

• Like 1

Congrats man! PR machine!

• Like 1

Congrats on all the PR's and contest placing. It was good to compete with you. It was very inspiring to see you fight through the discomfort with your ankle and still give it everything you had. All the best to you, you earn it.

• Like 2

Thanks Fellas! I'm really happy with the way training is going, but I have a lot more work to do.

Tonight I hit Chest and Triceps.

Flat Barbell Bench Press

45 lbs = 20 reps

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

250 lbs = 3 sets of 5 reps

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

86.5 lb DBs = 3 sets of 8 reps

Close Grip Push Ups with Floor Handles

2 sets of 15 reps

1 Arm Overhead Dumbbell Extensions

31.5 lb DB = 2 sets of 12 reps each arm.

Extensors

IM Red Band = 3 sets of 50 reps each hand

Note: Jedd Johnson Let me borrow his older model COC #4 that rates 199.5 lbs. Time to attack the next couple weeks and get this thing closed!

• Like 1

I smell a #4 close brewing!

Sweeeet. I smell mm6 nearby

I'm pushing hard to get both those closes done.

Tonight I hit Back, Biceps and thick bar. Upping the weight a little. Gotta keep pushing thick bar. its the only thing lagging right now.

Bent Over Dumbbell Rows with Fat Gripz Extremes

86.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 10 reps each hand

Standing Alternating Dumbbell Bicep Curls with Fat Gripz

45 lb DBs = 2 sets of 8 reps each hand

Standing Alternating Dumbbell Hammer Curls with Fat Gripz

45 lb DBs = 2 sets of 8 reps each hand

Calf Raises
Body Weight = 3 sets of 50 reps
Note: I tested my max on the rolling thunder. I'm not that far off my all time best and I haven't touched it in a long time. Thick bar was the toughest thing to train when my ankle was bad since it uses a lot of weight and most of the lifts are hard to do sitting. I need to catch up now.
  • Like 1

Really great shoulder and pinch workout today. My pinch just keeps getting stronger. I keep adding weight or an extra rep to exercises every workout. I can't explain it but I love it.

Arnold Dumbbell Shoulder Presses

Warm ups

11.5 lb Dbs = 20 reps

31.5 lb Dbs = 10 reps

Working

61.5 lb DBs = 3 sets of 8 reps. Too easy. More weight next time.

Standing Dumbbell Laterals (1 Arm at a time)

31.5 lb DB = 3 sets of 10 reps each side

Seated Bent over Dumbbell Rear Laterals (1 Arm at a time)

19 lb DB = 3 sets of 10 reps each side

1 Hand pinch Euro

Warm Ups

55.5 lbs = 5 reps each hand

66.5 lbs = 3 reps each hand

78.5 lbs = 2 reps each hand

working

85.2 lbs = 2 reps each hand

85.8 lbs = 2 reps left and 1.5 reps right

85.8 lbs = 2 reps each hand

IM Hub

50.2 lbs = 3 sets of 3 lifts each hand. Too easy. more weight next week.

Block Weights

46 lb Legacy Blob Thumb on the round = 3 sets of 3 lifts each hand

Sorinex Pop's Grip Machine dynamic pinch both hands at same time (Finger Tips on the handles)

2 Blue Bands across bottom Pegs and 15.5 lbs loaded = 3 sets of 15 reps. Too easy. more weight next time.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

I forgot to add that I did some extensor work also

Extensors
IM Red Band = 4 sets of 50 reps each hand

Extensors

I do my extensorwork with thick regular rubberbands.

All my IM expand yo hand bands are broken except for the red big one and I cant open it much. I think Im too weak to use it :)

How much can you open your hand with the red IM band?

Video ;)?

Extensors

I do my extensorwork with thick regular rubberbands.

All my IM expand yo hand bands are broken except for the red big one and I cant open it much. I think Im too weak to use it :)

How much can you open your hand with the red IM band?

Video ;)?

haha, my next grip session is crush. I'll upload a video of how I use the crush booster and how I plan on using speed closes after my normal drop set work and I'll also throw in a set of extensor work with the red band. I'm trying to show people everything I'm using to break into COC #4 territory.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Chez, that pinch is catching up to your crush. Pinch is a bug that, once it grips you, won't take second to anything. Good to see your 1hp numbers quickly approaching triple digits. It'll get there quick - once you're repping out 90, 100's just around the corner.

• Like 1

Chez, that pinch is catching up to your crush. Pinch is a bug that, once it grips you, won't take second to anything. Good to see your 1hp numbers quickly approaching triple digits. It'll get there quick - once you're repping out 90, 100's just around the corner.

Thanks Jon. I'm really happy with Crush, Pinch and Wrist training right now since I'm in a great groove. Thick bar is the only thing lagging now. Part of that is working around my ankle while it heals. I'll put my thinking cap on and figure that out as well. I think the problem is that I have been going too light on thick bar since my body always responses well to heavy low reps. I'm going to start upping the weight and lowering the reps on thick bar day. It will come.

Edited by Chez

Thanks Jon. I'm really happy with Crush, Pinch and Wrist training right now since I'm in a great groove. Thick bar is the only thing lagging now. Part of that is working around my ankle while it heals. I'll put my thinking cap on and figure that out as well. I think the problem is that I have been going too light on thick bar since my body always responses well to heavy low reps. I'm going to start upping the weight and lowering the reps on thick bar day. It will come.

Chez,

Just an idea...have you thought about throwing your fatgrips on the seated shrug machine at your gym? No pressure on the ankles at all and you can go as heavy as your heart desires for traps.